Forums The Arts

landscape sketch

13 posts

Flag Post

here is a drawing I drew when I visited hecla island, manitoba. at first I sat on the beach and drew the landscape on paper, After I wanted to scribble it in on my computer. I thought it looked cool so here it is. any feedback

Flag Post

That is actually pretty cool, nice job on the colors. The city/greenery or whatever it is could use some refining though and the sky is pretty bland but for the purple parts around the sun. Maybe some clouds?
That’s all though, not bad.

Flag Post

its trees n such pretty hard to see.
yeah i was going to expand the purple al the way across the sky, but I thought it might not look good so I just left it.

i will probably go in and add some clouds

Flag Post

I looked at pictures of clouds and noticed that it has blueish bottom I tried my best to replicate it.

Flag Post

Alright, yeah, as the clouds look now, they look good but they’re too randomly placed and too few. Besides, it’s more realistic if you put some clouds on the edges of the horizon or the picture, making them cut off.
Just add more, bigger clouds.

Flag Post

yes I am doing the trees right now I will place more clouds thanks for the help guacamole

oh and heres a picture of the actual hecla light house
although ours are from two different angles yes i did modify the light house in my picture but I liked the look of it with out that steel bottom

Flag Post

The water looks a bit bland, and the dark colors in the sky don’t really fit with the lighter colors… Maybe add some colors between? Other than that, it’s pretty awesome :3

Flag Post

water?? bland?? how it has 6 differant colors in it
none the less ill take your advice by adding a reflection of that greenery

ok Ive updated my sky and greenery so I dont know how I feel about that blue shit atop the sun.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Flag Post

who wants me to delete purple crap

Flag Post

The new DEVO album was entirely crowd-sourced. DEVO fans voted on the song styles, the specific songs, the order, and the album cover graphics.

That’s sort of how I feel like you’re approaching this illustration.

So, here’s my input for you to accept or discard as you see fit:
• Make it 4x as large
• Water reflects color of sky. Make sky gray
• Sun should have a glow and not be edged with dark.
• Sun should be smaller
• Water should be deeper, darker
• Island or land should be reflected in water, or water should darken near shore
• Green trees should not be so vibrant
• Clouds should be in horizontal strata; not puffs
• Sky should gradient from dark (top) to light (horizon)
• Entire composition is left-heavy; add birds or points of interest to balance out
• Water in foreground should reflect larger ripples than those in midground
• Bottom of land mass should be flat (laterally)

Flag Post

thanks for the post this gives me a much better idea. also the reason many of this was impossible was because my picture was to small. I’m going to make a redone version right away.