Forums The Arts

--= Help with terrain art =--

11 posts

Flag Post

Hi
Im working on making a shooter defence game, i made the characters, animations, interactive objects, UI`s and all but im really stuck on terrain so if anyone can help me please fell free to edit the .png , if the edit on terain is really good and il use it in the final game il put your name in credits.

Game thematic is scifi, more exactly alien invasion so basical all is destroyed or maybe war is on alien planet , exotic stuff

Flag Post

Could I get a more accurate description of the terrain wanted?
Alien planets vary a lot :P

Flag Post

Well somting realistic, maybe somting rough like the lunar surface or an exotic jungle , somting very similar to earth

Flag Post

I’ll give it a try later today, I also redone them portraits for no real good reason.

Flag Post

THank you very much jafhar :)

Flag Post

Lunar surface? Alright. Firstly, I know you’ve got experience in art, so first rule of thumb.

NEVER. EVER. MAKE. A. NATURAL. FLAT. SURFACE.

So many beginners make flat surfaces for a natural landscape. Make highs and lows if you’re making a natural landscape, because otherwise it’s…well…not natural.

Currently, it looks basic and way too flat, then again, you’re asking for what you need. Put a rough, scratched sort of surface (Kind of like dusty roads/rocks). Then make some hills on a few grid squares, and/or depressions, to give the land some texture.

Add decorations/land features and you’re pretty much done.

Also, only one side? Maybe put a huge hill behind/something because aliens only attacking from one side = dumb.

Btw, the barricades are obviously all the same. Maybe a randomised texture for barricades, selecting from several types or just pure randomisation?

Flag Post

Yes i know all that Dragon, im having problems with execution :)
I made a small polish on some objects

SO any heroes ?

Flag Post

Ok i made the exotic map but im not very satified with the end result, also i made repair car mode using some old templates from my awaken game

Flag Post

Exotic is okay…but the colour scheme is dark. I think you were going for horro, but it looks a bit dull. Course, you don’t want REALLY colourful, but I think lightening it up a touch would make it look a bit better.
I think don’t use flat colours, put 3-4 colours everywhere like you did at the side of the road (Maybe less intensive for the general terrain), same with the road but make it smooth for the road.

Flag Post

if you realy want to help you can edit the pic

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ramos_emanuel:

if you realy want to help you can edit the pic

But firstly, I don’t know your colour scheme and you won’t know mine so it’ll screw each other up.
Secondly, I suck.