Forums The Arts

LagunaAlkaline's Art

16 posts

Flag Post

I just bought a tablet and I am learning how to do art on the computer. These are the creations I’ve done and I would love feedback and tips on how to get better.

This is the first drawing I did. It’s my friend’s character on an online game we play.

I am pretty proud of this one. It took me forever. Adventure Time.

I am really proud of this one too. I was really scared to create this one. Master Chief.

Flag Post

very nice ;) advtime looks like made by pro ;) keep it up

Flag Post
Originally posted by PaperCap:

very nice ;) advtime looks like made by pro ;) keep it up

Thanks!

Flag Post

Here is a quick doodle I did of a Creeper too.

Flag Post

;) nice
i always enjoy those pencil lines around pics. makes it look very artsy ;)

been thinkingg of getting a tablet too, but there are way too many to choose from 8O so confusing

Flag Post
Originally posted by PaperCap:

;) nice
i always enjoy those pencil lines around pics. makes it look very artsy ;)

been thinkingg of getting a tablet too, but there are way too many to choose from 8O so confusing

I got mine on Ebay for 30 dollars and it’s amazing. When I come across more money and get better at drawing on the tablet, I am going to get a Wacom. But this one I have is just fine for now.

Flag Post

A nice start, certainly better than mine. :D
Obviously a lot to improve but that comes with time. Might I suggest putting your username in the thread title so it’s more likely to get clicked on. (by me :3)

Also, what program are you using may I ask? There are a few you might want to try here although the list is a bit outdated. My personal recommendation is Paint Tool SAI, it’s not free (around $60 IIRC) but there is a 31 day trial. It’s also in japanese so get the English version but it is pretty awesome.

Flag Post

i will suggest a bamboo tablet
very good tablets

Flag Post

Bamboo and Wacom both make a great 9×12″ entry level tablet.

Tablets, just like the software, are merely a tool and don’t actually make a person a better artist. However, as a drawing tool, tablets are more intuitive than mouses and can capture some of the gestural motions that a person naturally makes.

Tablets, in my opinion, work best when you work in layers or with semi-opaque transparency. The lines build up and create the natural kind of hatching and color depth that you find in traditional drawings. Like, the stuff I like best about the green guy is the black sketchy line… not the airbrush stuff.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Khnum666:

A nice start, certainly better than mine. :D
Obviously a lot to improve but that comes with time. Might I suggest putting your username in the thread title so it’s more likely to get clicked on. (by me :3)

Also, what program are you using may I ask? There are a few you might want to try here although the list is a bit outdated. My personal recommendation is Paint Tool SAI, it’s not free (around $60 IIRC) but there is a 31 day trial. It’s also in japanese so get the English version but it is pretty awesome.

I use Gimp but I hope to get a paid version here soon.

Flag Post

Here is another picture I did.

Flag Post

i tried drawing in ms paint, but im really awful :( i wil never be able to become an artist T.T

Flag Post

You’re ALREADY an artist. What do you hope to accomplish?

I’m a huge proponent of learning how to draw traditionally. (I.e., pencils and stuff.) You improve your drawing skills through quantity. Drawing by hand is much, much faster than drawing on the computer and you can easily produce four or five sketches in the time it takes to make one sketch on the computer. The computer is good for revising drawings, but for someone that is actively trying to improve their skills, revising is actually a hindrance. The artist spends all this time revising when they could be drawing. In the end, all that motivation to draw is spend on one piece… and if it doesn’t turn out well, it can be discouraging. Now suddenly drawing is a source of discouragement instead of joy. That sucks! Whenever you find yourself discouraged by drawing, you’re ABSOLUTELY doing it wrong (or for the wrong reasons).

Flag Post

Completely agree with pete, drawing by tablet can be disappointing. I suggest you only get a tablet only when you’re comfortable with your level. Through personal experience, I can say that getting a tablet made me stop art for a while. I wanted to jump ahead and be a pro, but after realizing that I can’t do that, I went back and practiced some more on paper. I still don’t use my tablet often. Keep working on improving, and don’t rush. Work with your own pace. Try out some different styles, check out tutorials, and figure out which helps you more.

Flag Post

I’m gonna share my personal experience about drawing with tablets, hope it’s of some use.
I’ve had a tablet for about 2,5 years, and back when I got it I’ve only had regular access to computers (with softwares like Ps or Ai) for about a year. I’ve been playing around Photoshop a lot, made small vector drawings and I was really interested about how digital art works or how well could I do it, so I did some summer work and bought myself a very cheap, very low-end tablet (it’s a genius F510 in case anyone cares).

I enjoyed drawing with it from the start, even though I didn’t make very good pictures, I saw the potential in it. It took something like 4 months to be able to draw smooth, loose lines – not good quality, but it was the level where I became comfortable with sketching and doodling on a tablet. Again, it wasn’t a few days or weeks, it was months – of course that varies with every person, but I wouldn’t expect anyone to be a pro with it immediately.

Also I’ve started drawing with Photoshop and am still using it most of the time, I’ve tried and can use Sai or Painter as well, but none of them has felt as comfortable as Ps. I’ve learned what I know about it by experimenting and tutorials on the web, I can very much recommend all sorts of tutorials.

Throughout all this time I’ve been drawing traditionally as well, mostly sketches and illustrations, sadly I can’t attend courses or lessons because of time and money issues, but if you can it helps a lot. And by a lot I mean a huge lot.

And what Pete said is true: if you’re suffering with it and it feels like a bother, you won’t improve as much and it’ll just discourage you more and more. Do what you think is fun; I believe every and all kind of drawing will improve your skills, maybe differently, maybe you won’t even notice, but it works.

As a last note, here’s my first drawing on a tablet and one of the latest that I’m fairly proud of:
and
All I’m saying imroving takes time and practice – and mostly practice.

Flag Post

I don’t know if this makes sense too you but every one is an artist some just know how to express it better, and the only way you can do this is through practise some may be born with the eye for it but anyone can learn, you have to be committed.

im generally new too digital art but just for example here is my first and only attempt

it SUCKS