Forums The Arts

Raiyi's Art Stuff

25 posts

Flag Post

All feedback appreciated! Note that I’m 16, so curve the negatives a bit, lol.

I’ve been drawing for about 5 years or so, mostly on weapons and I’ve only branched off from that about 3 years ago. I’ve never had any formal classes, so I’m 100% self-taught. Probably picked up some sloppy habits along the way.

All my art is off of my dA, so if you have some time, come and check out my gallery! http://arislynn.deviantart.com/

Flag Post

Flag Post

Pretty good stuff. I’d like to see your traditional drawings… stuff not made on the computer.

The zombie is, in my opinion, the stand-out piece. It’s got lots of great stuff going on, and I like the fact that it doesn’t use colorful hues… just black. Aside from your signature, you’ve provided a great connection to the character’s eyes. (“Eyes are the window to the soul,” etc.) I like the scrabbly treatment; fits the subject well.

My crique of the piece is minor. The anatomy of the shoulders and neck seem a bit fictional. The sternos seem too “made up,” and I’d suggest looking at an anatomy chart to make this a bit more sinewy. Also, just from a narrative standpoint, why does a zombie have stitches? Did someone actually think they could save this lad? I think the stitches seem a unnecessary. Plenty going on without them.

The weakest piece is Wolverine. It doesn’t seem like you used any reference; just drew it from your imagination. That’s fine, but it reveals more about what you remember (or don’t remember) about the human body than it does about the subject’s character. Frankly, it seems a bit like a tablet exercise. I think you should redraw him but use real photo reference of an ordinary dude styled in a Wolverine way. If you do this, I think you’ll be surprised at how much better it works. Also, again, check your anatomy… neck too long, sternos too vertical, traps too diagonal and geometric, nose too narrow, eyes and ears too high, chin too narrow, and so on.

The small brown piece of the rushing ogre has the strongest narrative. It tells a fun story, and it’s nice and loose. I like it, but I’d prefer to see it as a series… it seems like one frame out of a comic. (And that feels a bit like trying to understand a short story based on one paragraph.)

The B/W scene is nice, but without values the whole thing gets a bit flat. Everything doesn’t always need to be outlined, particularly when you’re using black strokes to also build texture. For a small, simple piece like this it may be better to choose line to build texture and form, OR use line to define contour… but not both.

The weapons are cool and imaginative. You’ve captured the device’s character well. It’s very “gamey.” The fire weapon, the ice weapon, the chaos weapon, the death weapon. They’re fine. My only criticism of the weapons is that the last two break some of the stylistic rules that the others follow. In particular, you’ve used these heavy black tribal shapes that sort of float outside or around the object… and it’s not clear if they’re substantial parts of the object or “aura-like” emanations. It’s because you don’t use solid black anywhere else in any of the depictions except in the outlines… so that’s kind of anomalous. If the fire and ice swords had ANY black details that protruded from the object, as the last two do, all four would feel consistent and their characteristic differences would be even more evident. (It’s all about the characteristic differences, right?) Also, the scythe uses an organic textural treatment in the purple areas. None of the other weapons feature that kind of fill… so I’d recommend incorporating some of that kind of coloring style in the other three, or revise the purple blade and handle to make the color and value distinctions more crisp and “clean edge” like the rest of the illustrations.

Nice work. Let’s see some sketchbook scans.

Flag Post

Oh, and take some art classes. It’s good for you, and it’s fun.

Flag Post

I take classes 24/7 its real fun and you improve hugely that is great art.

Flag Post

I don’t have a scanner xD I use a camera, so most of the time it doesn’t come out too good.

I suppose the fictional anatomy comes from my gaming. I’ll work on it. And ok, next time I do a zombie, no stitches. You’re exactly right about Wolverine, I didn’t use a reference. I just did it and it turned out similar. I’ll take your advice and redo it someday. I just kinda did the b/w thing for scenery practice. I didn’t mean for it to go any further. As for the weapons, they’re meant to be different from each other. I do weapons because I play a game that accept player suggestions, and each of their weapons differ significantly. But yes, the last two are meant to be “aura-like”. I’ll do a weapon set someday so they all look alike.

I’ll be sure to take an art class, maybe next year for school.

Flag Post

And I’m not proud of these, because I didn’t really bother.

This is the first version of the second image in my previous post

Flag Post

Really nice stuff here. Great fantasy weapons, loves the colours and vibrancy, my only irk with them are those with tribal designs in the chaos sword and scythe. They looks really nice but are flat while the rest of the design appears 3 Dimensional. Maybe adding a take of shading to the edges will make them look more like really thin pieces of metal? Other than that they’re really bad ass. You pwn me when it comes to drawing.

Flag Post

you should totaly be making art for games. really nice fantasy pics ;3

Flag Post

i really like the red riding hood no face matches her

the colours in the monk are magnificent.

by no formal tutorials do you mean no youtube tutors because you can’t possibly get that good with out some help or kind of tutorial

also your anatomy is a tiny bit off for example the hands are too small on a few of these. your colours a great for the most part.

love your weapons and the symbol great art I’de like too see more.

Flag Post

Thanks for the comments!

Well actually, in the game I play, the black tribal designs are usually glowing. I decided not to use it, but I suppose adding them would have added an aura-like fee to it. I’ll play with it and update that later on.

I plan on making game art! I enjoy fantasy design and weapons, so of course I will :D

Heheh, I only did her without a face because I couldn’t get it to look right. So I changed the entire picture to fit my mistake :D And no, no real tutorials. I’ve seen some speed painting, but that didn’t really help with anything aside seeing other people’s style. I’ve looked at tutorials, but whenever I try to copy it just ends up horrible, so I gave up on that. I just look at amazing art and try to break it down in my head. That seems to work better for me. Gaah, anatomy is so hard! I’ll work on it, but I’m still proud I can do that with only 2 years of it :D Thanks and I’ll make more!

Well, this is basically the rest of my gallery. I’ve been posting them in chunks so I don’t attack you guys with some 20 or so pieces at once xD Enjoy! My next piece probably won’t be soon. Unless I choose to upload one of my hand drawn stuff, art is going to be slow :)

I actually changed this, I defined the lines on the tree, grass, and cracks by adding a brighter lighting.

Flag Post

I think the key to creating stunning illustrations is to establish simple, consistent rules within the picture. The rules can be of your own devising… that’s where style comes from… but they should be logical and applied with utter commitment.

Here are the rules I followed for my last drawing, for example:
• There is no gray. Only black.
• I will simplify the shapes I am rendering to this particular degree of fidelity.
• I will add flourishes to balance out the overall pattern so that the level of detail increases around the subject’s eyes.
• I will strive to capture the subject’s likeness.

For your drawings above, particularly the landscape, I’d recommend the following rules:
• The lightest (i.e., “whitest”) areas will be the edge lighting on the clouds, edge lighting on the leaves of the tree, trunk, and the whole of the moon.
• The darkest areas will be the shadows in the tree, the fissure, and the sky.
• There will be four levels of gray between the lightest and darkest values. There will be no gradations.
• I will distill each main contour into its simple, graphic shape so that its edges are crisp.

I like the tribal-floral pattern. Would be interesting to see this cleaned up so that each of the shapes was razor-precise.

Flag Post

Is there any rules against bumping old threads? If so, I’m sorry.

I think I’ll try that out. I haven’t really been working on anything lately though, I’m really rusty.

I feel like a failure on this one because I couldn’t capture his maniacal smile.

Flag Post

Wow some actual arts to look at in this thread. They all look great.

Flag Post

Really awesome stuff man. You have a lot of talent.

Flag Post

your anatomy is really accurate. and your proportions are smack on

some advice: tone down the dark on those eyes they really throw the picture off.

mouths are the easiest part if you just smack millions down on paper it will just come down naturally after a while.

Flag Post

I keep forgetting I have a thread.

Thanks! And oh, THAT’S what’s wrong with it, I honestly could not find it the problem and it bugged me so much. I kinda do mouths on paper, just never digitally.

Flag Post

These are really good!

Flag Post

Flag Post

This stuff is all so cool!!! I love it :D :)

Do you mind if I ask how old you are? :)

Flag Post

It’s in the first post, lol. I’m 16.

Flag Post

Whoops D: My bad, was takin’ all the art in :) That eye looks pretty cool, the only thing is that the pupil and iris part is wayyyy more detailed in comparison to the eye-lashes/brow. Hair is always a pain to draw though, so I understand not wanting to do every lash :P

Also, that little guy is adorable haha

Flag Post

Thanks! And I never learned how to do hair, I’m guessing you have to do every strand? ;-;

Flag Post

oh, so youre THAT guy on DA. I recognized the bird.

Flag Post

It just gets better. :)