Forums The Arts

[gallery] Oboe Passion's Sketchbook page 26

640 posts

Flag Post

Yes, the green in back is far, far too bright. Unfortunately I didn’t have “Pthalo Yellow Green” so I mixed something up, and while it got better as the blacks on the edge dampened it, the color I mixed was too bright for the middle there. Oh well, live and learn.
(PS. My lack of definition? Poor brush skills. I’ll get there one day.)

Flag Post

he’s like 50 or 60. and he has had like 40 years of experience. yours is quite outstanding compared to experience comparison.

I have the same problem. my brush strokes are usually to big and my definition is almost invisible. that’s why I take a favourite to sharpies and pencil. or even water colour pencil. or even graphite powder. but oil painting is one of the hardest of all. and it takes practise, time, and care. good luck :)

Flag Post

It’s a great painting. I’m sure you learned a lot, and that was probably your main goal.

The central green, as pointed out, should either be darker (in shadow) or paler (atmospheric perspective). I didn’t watch the tutorial, but I’d deviate from that.

Also, you can probably loosen up and relax. Rocks, trees, water and clouds are natural elements and should be expressed naturally. The more you lock down on trying to “depict” them, they’ll seem forced. You might, for nice noise, cut down a sponge into a small brush and try using that for hashing in things like rocks and splashes. Just plop that paint on there and let your arm go.

Also, not sure how large your canvas is, but you may find that painting larger (like, much larger) is actually easier. It’s not because you can get in and do all those details more easily, but because you can move your body more for expressing all those natural shapes. Wiggling your fingers is nothing like sweeping your arm.

Flag Post

pete just solved you definition problem. aha I was right about the atmospheric discoloration 1 point for me.

Flag Post

I’ve only worked on something much larger than A3 once in my life. Though I might consider working on a larger canvas, if I had the room. Since oils take FOREVER to dry and I have to store and not touch the canvas for all that time, any large work would have to be acrylic.

While I have sponge brushes, I’m yet to use them – have been following with how the presenter paints. I think part of the problem with my detail/texture is that I’m not thinking about how a rock is textured. Just blocking in the general shape. Same for the trees, etc. Stopping and considering how these things appear in photos would give me a better idea of which brush to use, I suppose. In terms of texture I’m absolutely loving my palette knives…. Now, just to learn to use them a bit more effectively.

Considering I grab my paint out once every 6-8 months “learning” is a slow process here. Still, this is better than the first one I did. And I’m sure the next one will be better still.

I like the fact this show is now on youtube, and I really recommend it to anyone who’s scared of their oil paints (or.. ahem, paint in general….. Or even, you know, color. Freakin’ hate using color anything). You don’t have to follow along exactly, but it’s a good base to get your skills down while still creating something acceptable.

Flag Post

Oboe, WOW your still here since 2008! that’s so cool!

Flag Post

Also getting my site up, slowly, yes the thumbnails are wrong, etc…. but it’s a start.

Flag Post

Flag Post

The art from the last “game” I worked on. Developer pulled out, and I’m thoroughly sick of collaborations. No stocks were used other than the photo of my wonderful friends to keep them royalty free.

Flag Post

You have some awesome talent, I must say. I really dig the clothing and hairpins you’ve worked on. Very decorative, flattering, feminine…love it. <3

Flag Post

Interesting site you might want some sponsors for that

Flag Post

People read this? Sweet. Here’s my newest project then. Currently drying.
@TiltedHalo Thank you :3

I don’t like the background one bit, and finished my last painting session very frustrated. He’ll have a plain color background in the end, I think.

Also, brush case I got around to sewing:

Flag Post

Ah, it was so nice to get back to art over the break:

The thin lines here are all done using a palette knife, am enjoying more control with both my brushes and palette knives since last time I painted. (Still working a small canvas – above is 12" by 12" and 20" is really the largest I can have in either dimension, unless I paint outside.)
Also tried something acrylic, which I’ll get pictures of up soon. Do you guys think I should try something looser like Pete’s recent portraits , or continue down this path with detail oriented drawings/paintings?

Flag Post

Honestly, as interesting as his style looks I prefer your’s. I’m a sucker for the more realistic look, the details involved…I feel like it takes more patience to complete the work that you do.

Flag Post

For the boat your atmosphere color choice is awkward, for it mixes in with the sea giving no real horizon. My advise would be to blacken the sky vastly to create contrast with both the sea and moon which would help us define the horizon and also get a more 3D outcome. The boat is smack on my only advice if any would be to shorten the nets on the side and/or increase the height on that mast. Another note would be that your ship seems to lack depth.