Forums The Arts

opinions on album art ideas

12 posts

Flag Post

so ive been working on my latest album for about 1 and a half years now, and the music is finished apart from recording of vocals but i have come to a ‘dead end’ with thinking up decent track names (and have just used some things from videogames / twilight zone..) but i want opinions, which is your favorite trackname, which dont you like?
band is post rock/ breakcore
album is loosly space themed

1.local fire distant sea
2.the after hours
3.black sky, white bolt
4.It isn’t right (from song lyrics)
5.i shot an arrow into the air

Flag Post

5.i shot an arrow into the air

wat

Flag Post

I don’t really like any of them, except for the fifth ;D

Flag Post

Track names don’t really matter on their own. They should relate to the music. Although once the someone listens to the track, the track name automatically relates to the music, just like the cover art does.

But track names shouldn’t need feedback. They are what you decide they are and that’s it. But make sure you use proper capitalization.

Flag Post

5 and 2 for me, what genre is the music?

Flag Post

hello evryone, i now need opinions on which style i should use for the album cover? 1 or 2. ignore that there is an extra person in picture 1
these are still both just rough ideas,

Flag Post

I like the one on the left, but only because it gives the image a bit more ‘breathing room.’ The one on the right has very little negative space and it feels pretty cramped. ‘Psae’ could be moved down a little bit to add a little headroom at the top of the image (along with maybe the characters) to alleviate this, but that’s really just putting a band-aid on a larger wound. The first step I would take is making ‘ULTRA [Chinese] Q’ smaller and moving the black border down a bit to expose more pink. This will give you more negative space to play around with and really open the image up a ton.

On a side note, the illustrations are fantastic.

Flag Post

How big are those in reality? You really should make your album art large enough. I’d recommend 1000×1000 minimum.

Flag Post

If you’re talking about pixel dimensions, they really should be at least 1500×1500 at the bare minimum (that’s a 5″×5″ cover at 300 dpi).

Flag Post

at the moment they are just 600×600 (knocked them up in mspaint, but im going to be ‘re-making them’ to be 1500×1500 or so using paint.net

from other feedback ive got from people in the chatrooms, they much preffered picture 1, a lot saying the dolls are too creepy (they will be reserved for inside the booklet or something i guess, maybe website :s

thanks for the feedback :)

Flag Post

Just for reference: if you make your image 5″×5″ at 300 dpi (which is reasonable), make sure to leave about a quarter inch on all sides (~75 pixels) void of anything important (text, important illustrations, etc) as that area will be for the bleed (when you show the image off online, you’ll want to crop 75 pixels from each side (so 150 pixels in each dimension) to reflect that since you only need the bleed for printing). If you just tried to print your left-most one, the tree shape would get cut off a little (or you’d have a bad edge because you didn’t leave a bleed margin). I’m in the middle of designing an album cover for a friend for the RPM Challenge right now so I’m in the thick of it myself and they’re just some good things to know when approaching it if you haven’t done a fair amount of digital-to-print projects before.

Flag Post

For songs title I like “Local fire, distant sea” because it just sounds cool.
For the art, I like the one with their just there heads on the ground.