Forums The Arts

Post Whatever You Are Working On! page 2

132 posts

Flag Post

@Tilted Ah okay, makes sense. Keep us updated!

@MmeBunneh Thanks! Although many people I have shown Perilous Peaks refer to it as the water level, it is indeed not water. Its just blue grass, haha. I could always change it to be a tad bit more green, so it is more apparent, but of course it does not really need to make sense so I may just leave it because i like the color scheme!

I’m really liking the wonderland sketch now! Before I had thought the mushrooms looked a bit strange by themselves as they were, but now that you have expanded upon the scene, I think it is looking really good! What exactly are you planning with the wonderland drawing? Is the whole page going to be covered in similar styled boxes depicting various scenes of bunnehs in wonderland?

The girl looks nice, however the shape of her face is bugging me. In the original sketch the two sides of her face are even, but somewhere along the way, the left side of her face became more squared and really throws off the image. I also feel that something should be done with the shading on the face. The nose is heavily shaded but the face is rather plain and flat, I would suggest to either reduce the shading on the nose or try to accent that shadows that would be forming on the face (depending on what style you are going for). Other than that i think it is nice so far!

Also depending on whether I make my goal amount of money from my game, I am thinking about getting a drawing tablet. Are there any you would recommend, the one you have or any other?

@1337al Thanks, I was not sure whether the style looked good or not, since many of the flash games that I enjoyed had a style using thin outlines with bright and saturated colors, and I have always enjoyed that look. However, I developed my style as this and ran with it! My game should hopefully be done this weekend and then I will start looking for a sponsor for it, and then who knows how long it might take before it is actually released. Right now the game is completely functional, at this point I just need to place all the weapons/equipment/treasures and add more easter eggs and secrets. I also need to add an ending and a bit more to the story possibly as as well as make the intro better.

Another thing that I still need to do is the music, however I do not really have any experience with music. I practiced a little bit and was able to make two little tracks that I think are passable. It may be better if I just get someone else to do the music, but i kind of want this game to be completely made by me, so I guess if I can not create better music by the end of the weekend, I will probably start looking for music elsewhere.

Also, I will go ahead and send you a link to a slightly older version of the game. (I can’t send you a new version I am currently in the middle of fixing a bunch of stuff.) I will include more details in the pm. Enjoy!

Looking forward to the logos or whatever else you decide to make!

Flag Post
Originally posted by kantieno:

@Tilted Ah okay, makes sense. Keep us updated!

@MmeBunneh Thanks! Although many people I have shown Perilous Peaks refer to it as the water level, it is indeed not water. Its just blue grass, haha. I could always change it to be a tad bit more green, so it is more apparent, but of course it does not really need to make sense so I may just leave it because i like the color scheme!

Thanks for explaining the scene! I was curious because it looked like waves but at the same time I wasn’t sure because I would assume that if you were going to actually have it underwater you would be able to see the base of the mountains. Glad that I asked!

I’m really liking the wonderland sketch now! Before I had thought the mushrooms looked a bit strange by themselves as they were, but now that you have expanded upon the scene, I think it is looking really good! What exactly are you planning with the wonderland drawing? Is the whole page going to be covered in similar styled boxes depicting various scenes of bunnehs in wonderland?

Well it’s my art portfolio actually. But besides that, I am having it Alice in Wonderland themed! So what I have planned is to have each level be a scene or part from the story and the top floor will have the final battle between the Queen of Hearts and Alice the Bunneh. It’s pretty much going to be covered in bunnehs and small little things here and there that I add. I’m currently working on the tea party scene but I’m not going to draw anyone at the actual tea party, they’re all going to be walking towards the next floor!

My long term plan for this is that once I get the entire portfolio done I’m going to actually redraw it as a webtoon of sorts on the computer and have it be all cute and nice. I am thinking of turning it into a game possibly.

The girl looks nice, however the shape of her face is bugging me. In the original sketch the two sides of her face are even, but somewhere along the way, the left side of her face became more squared and really throws off the image. I also feel that something should be done with the shading on the face. The nose is heavily shaded but the face is rather plain and flat, I would suggest to either reduce the shading on the nose or try to accent that shadows that would be forming on the face (depending on what style you are going for). Other than that i think it is nice so far!

Actually the shape of her face was bugging me too. I was going to work on that when I lost my tablet charger. Another thing with the face is that the shading was on another layer and I can’t remember what happened to it exactly. If I can find it I’ll just layer it under the current facial makeup layer so it’ll be nicer. Here’s my drawing process that I usually do:

1) Sketch
2) Colour blocking
3) Highlights/contouring
4) Makeup
5) Merge layers
6) Begin polishing
7) Skin
8) Details
9) …..

If it helps I follow Imagine FX Magazine for digital art so I try to aim for my end pieces looking similar to the ones that they publish. I adore that magazine due to many of their excellent tutorials and their tips. I highly recommend looking at it. Some of their editions I especially treasure for their articles on skin, etc.

Also depending on whether I make my goal amount of money from my game, I am thinking about getting a drawing tablet. Are there any you would recommend, the one you have or any other?

I would most definitely recommend the Wacom lines. I’ve found over and over that Wacom just provides the best tablets and they’re the most versatile for their cost. They have low range products to professional products so you can tailor the products to your budget.

Wacom has actually changed the name of all their products so here is something that might save you from confusion:

Bamboo –––––> Intuos
Intuos 5 –––––> Intuos Pro

If you see me refer to Intuos 5, I am now referring to Intuos Pro. They probably changed the names due to the fact that bamboo was seen more of a “low budget scale” product that just wasn’t really up to par with their other lines.

I would personally highly recommend the Intuos 5. I definitely recommend sticking with the original pen that they give you. I bought an additional pen that was the slimmer version of the original but there’s definitely a lag time and other issues that I never had with the original style pen.

If you can afford it I recommend the Cintiq line. The reason I do not have a Cintiq is due to the fact that it’s definitely geared towards professionals and those who do digital art for a living. I hope to have a Cintiq someday but at this time I don’t see a justification for buying one (the smallest size is priced at $999 USD) when I’m perfectly content with my Intuos 5 tablet.

Cintiq tablets are different from the other lines because you are able to actually see what you are drawing on the actual tablet. But as I said once more, the 13" Cintiq is priced at $999 USD whereas my medium size Intuos 5 (15") only costed around $350 USD when I bought it at the time. If you want to get a better tablet and are willing to trade the size for the benefits it comes with then I recommend cintiq. If you don’t want to shell money for that then I recommend the intuos pro line.

All in all as long as you don’t go for the lower price intuos line you should be fine. If you’re looking for tablets outside of the Wacom market I recommend looking around the $300-500 USD price range. Good luck!

Edit: I just wanted to note that even if non-drawing tablets (eg iPads) are starting to get “drawing pens,” do not get them. It is not worth your money. They are by far nowhere close to actual drawing tablets (the Wacom pens have a pen pressure sensitivity of 2048) and drawing tablets are made just for the purpose of drawing. That’s my only no-no that I have. Otherwise if you find other tablets outside of the Wacom family, please do share!

Flag Post

Editing some of my old weapon 32×32 sprites… :)

Here’s the axe I’m working on atm:

Flag Post
Originally posted by MmeBunneh:
Well it’s my art portfolio actually. But besides that, I am having it Alice in Wonderland themed! So what I have planned is to have each level be a scene or part from the story and the top floor will have the final battle between the Queen of Hearts and Alice the Bunneh. It’s pretty much going to be covered in bunnehs and small little things here and there that I add. I’m currently working on the tea party scene but I’m not going to draw anyone at the actual tea party, they’re all going to be walking towards the next floor!

My long term plan for this is that once I get the entire portfolio done I’m going to actually redraw it as a webtoon of sorts on the computer and have it be all cute and nice. I am thinking of turning it into a game possibly.

Ah okay, sounds interesting! I will be looking forward to the finished version because I really enjoy the “Wonderland” theme! Also depending on the execution, I feel like a game based on this would be pretty fun. I realize that this would likely be quite a ways away (if you even decide to do it), but do you have any ideas about how exactly you would envision the game being, because that is something I would be interested in!

Actually the shape of her face was bugging me too. I was going to work on that when I lost my tablet charger. Another thing with the face is that the shading was on another layer and I can’t remember what happened to it exactly. If I can find it I’ll just layer it under the current facial makeup layer so it’ll be nicer. Here’s my drawing process that I usually do:

1) Sketch
2) Colour blocking
3) Highlights/contouring
4) Makeup
5) Merge layers
6) Begin polishing
7) Skin
8) Details
9) …..

If it helps I follow Imagine FX Magazine for digital art so I try to aim for my end pieces looking similar to the ones that they publish. I adore that magazine due to many of their excellent tutorials and their tips. I highly recommend looking at it. Some of their editions I especially treasure for their articles on skin, etc.

I hadn’t heard of Imagine FX before, but I checked out some of the tutorials on their website and they look like they should be pretty helpful, so thanks for that! Hopefully you will find the charger, it would be nice to see more drawings in that style.

I would most definitely recommend the Wacom lines. I’ve found over and over that Wacom just provides the best tablets and they’re the most versatile for their cost. They have low range products to professional products so you can tailor the products to your budget.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will probably end up getting the Intuos Pro. Although when I have the money (depending on how my experience with drawing tablets goes) I think I would like to get a desktop drawing monitor like the 24 inch Cintiq, but of course $2500 is a bit out of my price range currently. I do not know if I would even need it, but you deny how great it would be to have anyways!

Originally posted by cabbawargod:

It looks good! However I am trying to figure out what exactly it is, but I think something about the old version looks better. It may be that in the new version, the decoration on the blade stands outs more and does not fit in with the blade itself. The blade looks like it is just slapped on the side of a metal rod, but in the old version, they fit together and it looks overall more harmonious.

Tomorrow I will get to work on my game again after a week of chemistry tests, speeches, and astronomy; so I should have more things to share, such as new npc sprites and secret areas.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MmeBunneh:

Ah okay, sounds interesting! I will be looking forward to the finished version because I really enjoy the “Wonderland” theme! Also depending on the execution, I feel like a game based on this would be pretty fun. I realize that this would likely be quite a ways away (if you even decide to do it), but do you have any ideas about how exactly you would envision the game being, because that is something I would be interested in!

1) Sketch
2) Colour blocking
3) Highlights/contouring
4) Makeup
5) Merge layers
6) Begin polishing
7) Skin
8) Details
9) …..

I hadn’t heard of Imagine FX before, but I checked out some of the tutorials on their website and they look like they should be pretty helpful, so thanks for that! Hopefully you will find the charger, it would be nice to see more drawings in that style.

Thanks for all the advice! I think I will probably end up getting the Intuos Pro. Although when I have the money (depending on how my experience with drawing tablets goes) I think I would like to get a desktop drawing monitor like the 24 inch Cintiq, but of course $2500 is a bit out of my price range currently. I do not know if I would even need it, but you deny how great it would be to have anyways!

Originally posted by cabbawargod:

It looks good! However I am trying to figure out what exactly it is, but I think something about the old version looks better. It may be that in the new version, the decoration on the blade stands outs more and does not fit in with the blade itself. The blade looks like it is just slapped on the side of a metal rod, but in the old version, they fit together and it looks overall more harmonious.

Tomorrow I will get to work on my game again after a week of chemistry tests, speeches, and astronomy; so I should have more things to share, such as new npc sprites and secret areas.

Thank you for the feedback. :)
Does this look better?

Flag Post

That axe looks much better! Looks more 3D with the shading and more golden as opposed to just a yellow. O:

I’ve been busy with work but I’m almost done lining that art, finally. =3=

I need to fix her leg before I continue lining the other one and then her other hand, though…
I think line art is my least favorite part, haha.

Flag Post

Woeking on props from Fallout 3, (or better explained: not to suck at it)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tYFcwmeVXEk&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3MGL0ZokuSh19XiH7Diy-A

Doesn’t really look much like it, but if you were as big a fan as me, you’d recognise it.

EDIT: I didn’t mean for that picture to be so big.
I’m feeling pretty lazy now though, so I can’t be bothered fixing it. :3

Flag Post

reportage on random people

Flag Post

I didn’t see this until just now. Here’s my reply!

Originally posted by 1337al:

@mnebunneh, when drawing i always personnaly go for black & white over colour, and i think your black and white mushrooms look great. Inspired by alice in wonderland?, if you havent seen it i reccomend watching ‘jan svankenmejer’s version of alice in wonderland,its made using a lot of stop-time animations, and is brilliantly-surreal.

[…]

im still working on developing music and lyrics for a live set, but imm planning to release a 5/6 track EP in the not-so distant future, so im currently knocking up a load of logo designs and ideas for album art, other artwork etc. my band has an older logo, which i love but i dont think it ‘fits in’ with the new sound of my band

Yes, it’s definitely based off of Alice in Wonderland! I have not actually seen that version of Alice so I’ll definitely watch it sometime this month. I’m also looking forward to your music and lyrics!

[…]

I started to envision the game a bit already. Pretty much what I have planned is that each floor is a level with new quests and challenges. The final floor is definitely going to be the battle between the Queen of Hearts and Alice the Bunneh. While I do plan on having a main storyline that the game will follow I want to also open it up so users can select which path(s) they want to go.

And no problem on the advice! I also would love to draw on the Cintiq also but as I am not a professional I don’t see how I could justify the price at this point in time. I hope I didn’t deny how great it would be to have, I think it’s absolutely wonderful! It’s just unless you’re a professional I think for the average user it might be too much for a budget if it’s an individual production of art/work.

To Tapersteve, I really adore your drawing style! For some odd reason it reminds me of 1930-1940s art from somewhere (that I cannot remember but I’ll make sure to edit once I remember). Do you sketch often then? And paint/water colour also? Hope to see more of your work here!

It’s been a while since I’ve posted things but as an update, I’ve had a few great opportunities arise since then. I am part of an LGBTQA and allied youth theatre organization. In the theatre group there is a committee called the Youth Artistic Committee. While three of the positions are youth elected (through popular vote), there are three positions that are the Director positions. There are almost always only three Director positions (being dance, music, and artistic) but this year a new position called Multi-Media was created so apparently the Youth Music Director position was cut from the YAC.

While interviewing for the Youth Artistic Director position I mentioned I did music. Lo and behold, I had a second interview for the Youth Music Director position and got it! As the new Youth Music Director I’ll be creating new individual pieces of music and creating pieces of music for groups of students in the theatre group so I’m very excited to share new pieces sometime soon in the upcoming year (2013-2014).

Besides that I’ve been just working on the regular: Mosaic and drawing portfolio. I’m trying to finish my mosaic soon so I can move onto the next project that my teacher demonstrated.

I’m still working on the floors of the drawing portfolio as you can see. Sorry for the bad picture quality, I’m currently working on this at home and my lighting isn’t that great.

I’m randomly messing around with GarageBand right now. I experimented with just copy and pasting the same four notes over and over again for the first part of Skyfall (here). I haven’t added any other vocals beyond the first chord so I haven’t done much.

I’m thinking of stopping by the musical school at the university sometime this week and just doing a random cover of a song. Not sure what song at the moment but I guess I’ll figure it out sometime. Until the end of this month/winter break I don’t think I’ll have time to work on an a capella piece just yet.

Flag Post

@cabbawargod Yes, I like it much better like that!

@tilted It is coming along great! I do have a few things about it that bother me though. The fold on the shirt right above the waist on the left, looks really odd, like a flab of skin that it hanging over her skirt. I feel that if that part was flattened a bit, it would look better and fit in better in regards to the apparent motion she is in. The other thing that bothers me but is less important, is her face. The lips bother me due to their shape, but I realize that this fits the style you are going for and this is just a personal preference for me, which is why I labeled it as less important. Other than that i think it looks really nice.

@burnt I have never really gotten to play fallout but I think making the props sounds really interesting. The only feedback I can really give, is that I think it would be better if you used a fine tip sharpie for the writing instead of a pen, I think that will help it look more like the in-game graphic.

@taper It looks interesting, I think you should make a whole coffee shop scene now that you have made all of these smaller depictions.

I almost have the game completely done, at this point I just need to finish these last few secret areas, do some balancing, and add music and sound effects. I will probably start looking for a sponsor tomorrow.

Here is a screenshot of the new menu, I would like to improve it, but I would be okay using this as the final.

EDIT I had my reply to this post open for an hour or so, before I finished writing it so I did not see the new post.

@MmeBunneh I keep thinking of Daymare Cat when I think of your game. I really like the strange and surreal atmosphere, is this atmosphere the sort you would want in your game or would you go for a more whimsical feel? I would think you would go for a more whimsical mood but the hand-drawn graphics make me feel like it would work well with a Daymare Cat type atmosphere as well.

Congratulations on getting the Youth Artistic Director position! I look forward to whatever may come from this, however what will this mean for the acapella? Might the acapella be pushed back a bit due to new responsibilities?

The mosaic is looking good and I really like the card soldiers, they look really great! The tea party scene also looks really good, I don’t really have any critique to give on it, I am really enjoying the portfolio so far!

Flag Post

Will your game be available for play on Kongregate at all? Or will it be hosted by whatever sponsor you get selected by? I’d love to play this game someday now that you’re almost done!

Are you going to create another game now that you’re almost done with this one then?

Flag Post

It will be available on Kongregate, I am not sure what type of sponsorship I will be going for at the moment, but one of the terms will be that I get to host it on my kongregate account. If you want, I would like to send you a version and get some feedback before I start looking for a sponsor, I would just want to fix a few things before I send you it.

After this I am allotting 2 months to learn html, css, php, and probably python. I will also make a smaller scale game or two. All of this is for a website I will be creating. The next games will be for driving traffic back to the site and hopefully build a nice user-base if everything goes well. Also, if I am able, I want to create a multiplayer game, driven off the website.

Also, just in case you didn’t see because you posted right after me, I put a edit on my last post regarding your other post, that I had not seen it yet when I originally posted.

Flag Post

Trying out doing the same sword in different definitions.
First one is 16×16, second 32×32 and the third 64×64.

Flag Post

I draw every day using all media recently moved into reportage haven’t posted here in a long time kong art forum died for awhile, really nice stuff here now though and very active ill be posting here more often.

1930-1940s art its funny you should say that i’v never really looked into that I shall research and any names would really help me to further myself

Flag Post

Gosh, I haven’t posted here in ages!

I should be finished with glueing down all the pieces of the mosaic tomorrow which means I can finally grout it and paint the edges! I’m excited to finally be almost done with this monster (and begin the next project that we’ve already started, oops).

I’ll add more when I have time to take pictures of what I’ve been doing otherwise with my time.

kantieno
I have not played Daymare Cat yet but I’ll definitely try it out soon to see what you mean. I’m definitely going to be going for a more surreal/almost dream-like feel for the game once I start it. I’ve begun writing some dialogue for the game while procrastinating in classes.

The acapella will be pushed back a bit now due to my new position as Youth Music Director. However because of my new position I’ll be uploading music that I’ll be creating for the end of the year pieces. I’m extremely excited for this! I’ll be getting a new camera in December or January soon so that’ll be fun also.

Flag Post

@Kantieno Thanks for the tip! I might try it again with the felt tip or marker. I’m gonna try some guns.
Working on an NCR veteran ranger on A3 paper, very detailed, and here’s a little view on it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56-ZSjBzCzM&feature=c4-overview&list=UU3MGL0ZokuSh19XiH7Diy-A
Sorry, I don’t want to look like I’m cheaply advertising my channel or anything but that’s the only source I have and if I want to get pictures I need to find my SD card, so sorry about that.
@MmeBunneh That’s a really cool picture! I remeber trying to do something like that about a year ago, I was trying to make a house…
Let’s just say it didn’t look like a house..

Flag Post

I am probably working on making my avatars look cooler. Here is my latest work that I have been working on.

Note . I make avatars. Just leave a shout or PM me if you want an avatar.

=Thank you=

Flag Post

heres my bands new logo (on the right side)
i really like the old logo, but with a change in style i decided it would be a good time for a change in logo

Flag Post

I’ve been working on a ring that I casted, here are the work in progress pictures! I’m still working on it even in the last picture, I won’t be able to completely finish until after winter break but until then, hope you all like the way it’s turning out!

Using ring wax I shaved off most of it until I got the thickness that I wanted. I forgot to take a picture of it when I attached the bunneh to it but I used a different wax to attach it on.

I poured in the mixture for the mold here.

It was able to dry out and this was taken a day before it was put in the oven to melt out the wax.

Freshly washed and casted! Taking off all the mold was hard.

Another angle of the ring and the base. My friend held it while I took the picture haha.

Sawed it off.

Filing, using a dremel to take off most of the base (but I have to finish it after break is over), working on getting it all nice and smooth!

Another angle.

Flag Post

^ Curious material choice, but why wax ? It looks very nice ^^

Flag Post
Originally posted by dias17se:

^ Curious material choice, but why wax ? It looks very nice ^^

I used sterling silver personally as I’m allergic to a lot of other metals such as nickel. I had to use wax to make the shape of the ring as once I pour in the material for the mold the wax will eventually be melted out (in the pictures of the cylinder, the bottom of the base is removable so the picture after the cylinders, you can see that my ring is connected to a base of more sterling silver).

It was a very fun process, I’m definitely planning on making more rings this year (as I have Art Metals and Glass 2 next semester!) and other fun projects like statues.

Flag Post

I’m working on a story about my favorite video game boy and my favorite video game girl being stuck in a Cyclop world and team up to escape it and return to their world. (They don’t live in the same world.)

Flag Post

I was holding off on posting until I really had something to show for it. But it has been almost two months, and there is no reason for me holding off on responding to you guys.

@Taper You should definitely look at some 30’s-40’s art, that’s what your art reminded me of first, and I like it.

@MmeBunneh The mosaic turned out good! A bit rough but that would be expected of course. As your first mosaic, I like it! Are you planning on doing anymore, or are mosaics just not your thing?

Also got any music you can show us now? Whether it is from the group you are director of, or any personal stuff?

I also really like the ring, would be interested in taking a metals class to cast my own ring, unfortunately my school does not offer any classes like that. I think yours is coming along great and the bunny is a nice touch! I look forward to your projects next semester!

@Attack I think the main thing you need to work on now is the text, it looks a bit odd with such plain text on the background. I think making the a appear as a 3d block letter would improve it dramatically, but I like the background!

@1337al If you could post a new link to your logo, I would appreciate it, it is currently broken and I think even when I first checked this thread after you posted it was broken at that time as well.

@Gabidou Once you have a rough draft feel free to post it here!

I have spent the past two months mainly working on music and making additional changes to my game, which is practically done now. I have also been teaching myself a few coding languages, starting with html/css and php. Because a lot of this time was just learning about music and practicing, I do not have much to show, but I do have a few things.

This was an attempt at music for the game, but it does not fit the theme very well: https://soundcloud.com/kantieno/ninja-music-test

This was the second piece I ever made and was done during the summer, it is currently the boss music for my game: https://soundcloud.com/kantieno/ninja-boss-music

In interest of time, I ended up having my friend do the music for me. He currently has the menu music done, which you can hear here: https://soundcloud.com/sciaccaproductions/title-music-2

I have also made a new logo for the game:

I plan to have the game open to sponsors by the 2nd, but if you want to play and give feedback, I can send you a link. If you have an fgl account and at least one game, you can play it here: https://www.fgl.com/view_game.php?from=dev&game_id=31194

All feedback is appreciated.

Flag Post

i made a parody of those funny bud light commercials (its not crazy if it works)

is pretty funny, i made it with adobe flash

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3qI1x_gOPk

Flag Post

@Kantieno I really like the boss music, it’s generic but it’s a modern type and it definitely stands out from other pieces.
One thing I’d suggest for the first piece, maybe make different songs for different places, like the forest you were doing. Like mix a bit of flute in there. Don’t be afraid to mix it up.
Of course you can take my opinion with a grain of salt, it’s okay, I just want to help!
Also, the game looks good so far. :D