Forums The Arts

Video Game Marimba Duets

21 posts

Flag Post

Given the nature of the site, I’m going to guess most people here like video games. So who here likes the marimba? It’s my personal favorite instrument.

My friend and I have a youtube channel of us playing marimba duets of video game music (mostly, but not all nintendo): we’ve played Super Mario, Super Smash Bros, Legend of Zelda, Donkey Kong, Sonic, Banjo Kazooie/Tooie, Castlevania, Final Fantasy, Kirby, and Pokémon so far.

The channel is called GamerMarimbists
http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxnXYOzVgPE8ytBYw794MBg/videos

Feedback/Comments/Subscriptions are welcomed!
Enjoy!

PS: Which games have your favorite video game music in them?

Updates:
March 11th: Final Fantasy VI – The Decisive Battle
March 25th: Legend of Zelda: Spirit Tracks – Realm Overworld
March 29th: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Kaepora Gaebora
March 29th: Castlevania – Heart of Fire
April 1st: Donkey Kong 64 – Fungi Forest (daytime)
April 3rd: Super Mario Sunshine – Delfino Plaza
April 10th: Earthbound – Fourside
June 4th: Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald – Verdanturf Town
June 5th: Kirby Air Ride – Water
July 1st: Banjo Kazooie – Clanker’s Cavern
August 2nd: Sword Art Online – Crossing Fields (Opening)
August 9th: Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time – Goron City
August 13th Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask – Milk Bar

Flag Post

Hi all. Since this post we have 2 more videos!
The opening from super smash bros melee,
The cannons court stage 3 from sonic adventure 2 battle

Enjoy!
Feedback/comments welcomed! (In fact encouraged)

Flag Post

We’ve actually been working a bit faster than usual… We have a new one, made and uploaded today!

It’s Outset Island from The legend of zelda the wind waker. I hope you’re at least somewhat familiar with this game (If you’re not, you should play it)

So (please )tell me what you think!

Flag Post

Wowza, this thread hasn’t gotten any comments yet? I’m a bit surprised! Here goes nothing.

You. Need. Headphones. Period. (Did the four periods help that? Haha). I listened to the video without headphones first and then used headphones. That was a complete change in sound for me. You’re going to regret not listening without headphones, without them there really isn’t much of a feeling nor sound to it.

Your friend and yourself, you both are fabulous and growing percussionists. Do you all play any other instruments or just the marimba? I’m going to guess you’re both in high school and I’d say that you two are definitely on a good track with where you both are. There were definitely some points in your videos where I’m unsure if it’s the recording device but there were a few places where the mallets didn’t seem to suit the range of the marimba.

Keep making more videos! I’m excited to see more. You just gained a subscriber haha.

Flag Post

First off. Thanks for the reply! Yea I was a little surprised too considering there were almost 200 views haha.

And thanks for the compliment! yes we’re both in high school, Junior and Senior. I focus mostly on marimba and jazz vibes. Although i started as a pianist (and still am). He’s more all around percussionists, and he plays set. I am too, but my snare is sub-par, and I don’t do set…

Yea we know about the mallets. are school’s tend to not be kept in good shape. I don’t bring mine cause i’m a scatterbrain and will lose them haha. Although the green headed ones are my friends. We try to pick our mallet choice wisely, but it’s not always the easiest thing to do..

And as for the recording device, I’m using my LG G2. it takes good video, but It clips a lot. Not as much on the computer. So part of it is the recording device (hope its not too noticeable)

Are you a percussionist?

Flag Post

Maybe when you’re going to record a video try using your own mallets. That way you don’t have to bring them every day but use them on the actual days you do record! Mallets that are in good condition definitely make a difference to the sound compared to subpar mallets that aren’t in good shape. I recommend recording the same song with the school mallets and then your own mallets, you’ll most definitely hear what I mean if you don’t yet haha.

I think for now the recording device you’re using is alright but not preferable of course. I recommend however potentially attaching a mic if possible and centering that mic a little bit away from the marimba and having it so it’s more central than angled to one section of it. This depends on the song choice of course.

If your school has a multi-media department or even a department for photography ask if you can use their cameras and bring your own storage device card.

I’m not primarily a percussionist as I began leaning more towards winds and strings by the time high school happened. I’ve been playing music since I was three or four or so with piano and grew my repertoire from thereon. I have several friends who focus primarily on percussion though and most of my best friends are percussionists.

Except for the percussionists in the state youth orchestra here, they don’t really like me I guess since they think I’m just one of “those” violinists, if you get what I mean haha.

Flag Post

Yea ik. A lot of the times we choose to do the videos kind of spontaneously, so we don’t always have the best mallets. We still put consideration into it though. We don’t really have other options for the mics. I think we’re going to keep it at the angle in the dk64 video. We think it has the best visual/sound.

And on a other note, we have a new video! Our first Final Fantasy song, I think it came out well. We also had some of our own mallets which is always good.

Feedback welcome :)

Flag Post

We just got a new video up! Its our first from spirit tracks… The realm Over world. Its probably the hardest song we’ve done but I think it came out well.

Enjoy :)

Flag Post

I actually googled marimba. I´ve “played” with one of those on 7th grade, a much smaller one tho. but you guys play nice.

Flag Post

Thank you, I appreciate that. It’s really a beautiful instrument, just a hassle to get one haha.

And on another note, we are uploading TWO more tonight…
Kaepora Gaebora from Ocarina of time,
and Heart of Fire from Castlevania

Hope you like it!

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Another update!, this is fungi forest from donkey 64. one of my personal favorite pieces by one of my favorite composers. enjoy!

Flag Post

Well we got another one up. Delfino Plaza. Hope enjoy! The game definitely brings back some nostalgia (at least for me)

Just a side note, our next one will probably take a while. Feel free to offer suggestions or simply discuss (yea… comments would be nice)

Flag Post

1st upload from Earhbound! I feel like not as many people know this game as it deserves. Maybe not the best game, but certainly gives off a cool, original vibe

Flag Post

Guess I’ll break your chain of updates!

I listened to all of your new videos (I’m terrible with keeping up with my subscriptions on Youtube whoops!) and as I’ve said once more, people need to listen to these videos with headphones in! I especially liked Heart of Fire so kudos. I liked Earthbound also, though I had to listen to the original song to understand the syncopated beats as I never heard it before.

Kudos though! Can’t wait to hear more from the two of you.

Flag Post

Wow we’ve REALLY been slacking. Busy with finals and whatnot. But, we finally have a new video! It’s Verdanturf Town from pokemon Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald. Enjoy!

PS: In the next couple days, our first Kirby Air Ride song should be done, as well as one more… stay tuned!

Flag Post

Pretty good. I did not use headphones and it still sounded good to my ears.

Flag Post

Alright so we have a new video up! I’m really excited about this one. It’s Clanker’s Cavern from Banjo Kazooie (Grant Kirkhope is one of my favorite composers). So hope you enjoy!

And sorry for the late response… i missed this. But about headphones, yea it’s generally fine, but it depends on your speakers. On our phones for example the clipping is awful, so you really need headphones. We’re doing our best to minimize this. So to everyone, just find out what works for you :)

And hopefully we’ll have another up by the end of this week or next!

Flag Post

I just listened to Clanker’s Cavern and it was absolutely delightful! I think that’s so far going to be one of my favourites from your channel at this point in time, glad to see you’re still making videos! I tend to not post much as I’m usually a lurker but I do try to remember to like the videos for sure at least.

Can’t wait to hear more! If you do song requests someday that’d be pretty neat too.

Flag Post

That’s great to hear! I’m really happy how that turned out too. And requests may be fun too….

So our newest song is also done… this time there’s a little twist though. It’s from an anime, not a video game. It’s called Crossing Fields, it’s the opening from the first Sword Art Online. I’ve never watched it, but hey, it’s a fun song. Tell me what you think!

Flag Post

Two new zelda ones are up! Goron city from Ocarina of Time and Milk bar from Majora’s Mask. I feel like Milk Bar needs some more recognition, really cool song. Hope you like them!