Forums The Arts

Spring Rain

8 posts

Flag Post

Hi everyone, I just made a little Flash piece that’s not a game or an animation, but something different. I can’t post it on Kongregate since it’s not really a game, but I thought I’d link to it here so you can take a look.

Environment Sketch 01 – Spring Rain

It’s just a little scene that you can observe, like looking through a window into a world. It’s all created by code, so it’s different every time, and you can change the scene whenever you want.

It uses the exact same sort of physics as my ragdoll game. :) I might even make it into a game sometime, what do you think?

Flag Post

Not bad, vary the leaves a little, like if you look… all the leaves pretty much have he same lines. Also, try adding a little texture to them.

Flag Post

Yeah, those are the main issues I notice. I wanted the leaves to look different, more irregularly shaped so they would seem to be at an angle, but I couldn’t figure out a good ragdoll structure for the leaves that would allow that.

The texture is also a big thing I wanted to fix, but it’s pretty hard to do that with just the AS drawing commands. It might be possible to fill them with a bitmap image instead of just a solid color, though that might slow it down too much. Another approach might be arranging pre-drawn movie clips of different leaf parts.

I think for the future I’ll try making plants with a bunch of little leaves of different shades, to make it seem more varied. It would also help if raindrops stayed on the leaves and gave them texture that way. I was thinking of doing that but it ended up being too complicated. Someday, though.

I appreciate the feedback, thanks.

Flag Post

I was going to comment it but DeviantArt is having a maintenance :(

The leaves are unnatural due to the same texture of lines and uninteresting shapes. But it’s pretty cool.

Flag Post

…Which Emily were you trying to flirt :P.

Anyway, it’s a great job! Could be addictive if the leaves can be plucked off.

“Leaves plucked off : 42,000,000”

Flag Post

My Emily. Not Kongregate’s Emily. Check the about page and you will see their last names are not the same! :p

By uninteresting do you mean unvaried? I’ll be trying to figure out how to make them look more natural.

I don’t think I could make the leaves fall off, but I could make it so you can tap them or blow them around with wind or something.

Flag Post

By uninteresting do you mean unvaried?

Yeah.

Flag Post

Well trees are the best at repeating patterns, after all?
In any case, I am very impressed at this, it is very nice and charming, I was so surprised when the drop fell and the leaf bent like that.