Forums The Arts

Mayhold

47 posts

Flag Post

Arrow Keys to Move – Just Explore

Trying out a very dark, atmospheric style to a “zombie” flash game, so I’m looking to see if this is any good ;P.

Do you think this fits a nice, dark, abandoned town that just so happens to be called Mayhold?

You will also find zombies if you explore, I added those just now :).

Not looking for comments on bugs or glitches, I’ll get to that later, right now, I have a basic engine, and I’m wandering if you guys like the style and overall theme.

Enjoy :)!

Flag Post

Heh, I like the dark vibe it gives off, my only suggestion would be to make the houses look eviler. I dunno, it looks like the houses are too well-kept for an abandoned town :P

Flag Post

That’s actually a good point o_O, I’ll fix those up, thanks :)!

Flag Post

Yeah, it’s just too “nice”… I like the fade in and fade out when the zombies come near you.

Flag Post

Fixed the houses a little, or rather, broken them a little, I’ll upload it later.

And yeah, I wanted to add a twist to the game, and I figured that putting you in the dark was a good idea, zombies fading out when they’re not near you is all part of your bad vision in the dark ;D.

Flag Post

when they’re not near you is all part of your bad vision in the dark ;D.

Can I buy glasses in this game :P

Flag Post

cool i love it, but you should add like another level.

Flag Post

I don’t understand the town’s name… It isn’t creepy enough.

Flag Post

Perhaps it was named before it was abandoned and infested with zombies? =P

> cool i love it, but you should add like another level.

I did have another level before I made the thread, I just didn’t show it, still fixing it up ;).

Flag Post

haha just thought of a weird idea while messing around with it.

im into details so here goes: welcome to mayhold sign and “hold” grafittied out saying welcome to mayhem instead. random i know, but i thought that’d be cool :p

besides that i liked the vision fading in and out thing :]

Flag Post

That’d be awesome, thanks for that ;D!

Gonna add it immediately <3.

Flag Post

How come your “Flash light” lights up the street lights? You should be able to see zombies under street lights too.

Flag Post

It’s not a Flash light Yllier, it represents your vision, thus, anything in the distance in the darkness of this abandoned town is not visible to you.

Update!

Flag Post

Another Update

No comments since last update? ;(

Well, here are the fixes since the last one:

• Improved player vision so that the player can no longer see too much behind them, they also can’t see clearly anything that’s on another side of a wall.

• Adjusted Lamp Post colours.

Flag Post

Nice. Definitely slap a moon up there with some moving dark clouds. Have the clouds sometimes pass in front of the moon. If you do add stars, they shouldn’t be too bright or numerous at all if you’ve got a nice bright moon with clouds.

Also, maybe you should consider having the lamp lights reveal the zombies as well. Not only would it make logical sense, it definitely has a lot of potential for adding to game play and level design.

Edit: The green sign is a bit too Christmasy for my tastes (not just the sign by itself, but also considering the color scheme of the surroundings), and it also seems to crowd that particular area.

Flag Post

> Not only would it make logical sense, it definitely has a lot of potential for adding to game play and level design.

The thing about the blackness is that it’s not a flashlight, which every seems to confuse it for, but it represents the player’s vision, so basically, he’s unable to see anything behind him or anything too far in the distance, so a light that revealed zombie’s from behind him probably wouldn’t make too much sense in this scenario (though in reality it probably would).

Also, define christmassy o_O.

Finally, I was aiming for a dark and cloudy sky, like, all clouds, but if you think a moon and stars would look scarier, then alright ;P.

Thanks for your input!

Flag Post

hey what is the next update your going to make? the character design? a restart button for if you die? what? i like this game alot!

Flag Post

> hey what is the next update your going to make?

Graphic updates, like I said, I’m only working on graphics atm, when I get to that stage, I’ll start adding more scripts (The player and enemy AI was just something for exploring and testing purposes).

Flag Post

make it larger, it kinda gets boring running around as a blue box. second, you should make a light on in one of the houses, and a chunk missing form a skyscraper. also you can’t die, you should be able too.sorry, but i love it, good work.

Flag Post

it kinda gets boring running around as a blue box

Many Flash Developers use boxes/circles/test characters to test before actually animating the real player.

And the only reason you can’t die is because he’s testing out the gameplay to see if it works.

Flag Post

im sorry but i dont like the new movement. i prefer the old way. this way feel too rigid.

Flag Post

> SuitedCriminal

I haven’t changed the movement at all?…

> make it larger, it kinda gets boring running around as a blue box.

What Jude said.

> second, you should make a light on in one of the houses, and a chunk missing form a skyscraper.

Perhaps, this city’s not gonna be big enough to have ever had a skyscraper though, light in a house isn’t such a bad idea though.

> also you can’t die, you should be able too.sorry, but i love it, good work.

Umm…:

> I’m only working on graphics atm,

Yeah… You honestly think I’d make the game so that you had a health-bar, but were invincible anyway?..

Flag Post

I really like the game and atmosphere but I agree with Mario that the sign clutters the area around it up.
Maybe put the sign in the intro level with no zombies. It could be an area before the town with the sign right before you entered the next scene into the actual town.

Flag Post

Really nice start, I just want to see some blood coming out of that box. :) Also, you can barely see the “hem” in Mayhold.

Flag Post

this is really frickin awesome. definitely watching this post cant wait to see the finished product. any coding you might ever need help with you should put up here (well probly in the programming forum topic) and i as well as most anyone else will def help. and i think SuitedCriminal meant how now when you move your vision area moves. Before the circle stayed in the same place around you. now if you move right it shifts right… very cool idea though ;)