Forums The Arts

Mayhold page 2

47 posts

Flag Post

i don’t think the “hem” is what you should be focusing on badd, it’s just a nice touch.

Flag Post

i did mean the light movement. i just dont like it. feels very restricted.
the old way is better. but it is strange how he can see behind him :D lol

Flag Post

he can’t see behind him……… :|

Flag Post

i did mean the light movement. i just dont like it. feels very restricted. the old way is better. but it is strange how he can see behind him :D lol

The new way is more realistic but it’s pretty weird because it’s a circle.. Real vision is more like a flashlight: cone shape and it has to be longer than that.

Flag Post

> he can’t see behind him……… :|

Would you have eyes on the back of your head in real life?

I can understand that it’s confusing having a vision specificly for a character in a side-scroller, but anything not in the player’s vision is not visible, get it now? =P

> cone shape and it has to be longer than that

I can do that :).

> i did mean the light movement. i just dont like it. feels very restricted. the old way is better. but it is strange how he can see behind him :D lol

Maybe changing it how Jude suggested it will make it better, I’ll see.

Flag Post

he’s unable to see anything behind him or anything too far in the distance, so a light that revealed zombie’s from behind him probably wouldn’t make too much sense in this scenario (though in reality it probably would).

He would definitely be able to see in front of him if lights are shined on anything for many many feet away. He shouldn’t be able to see anything in between his natural vision and what the light shows him however. But in all actuality, he should be able to see the zombies under the lights in the direction he’s facing. Now whether you want to put that in your game or not is up to you, but it doesn’t make sense that he cant see something that’s lit up in front of him.

Flag Post

yeah but this isn’t a first person game so you still should be able to see every person.

Flag Post

yeah but this isn’t a first person game so you still should be able to see every person.

That has nothing to do with what I was saying. Jindo, the guy making the game, says

but it represents the player’s vision

and also

I can understand that it’s confusing having a vision specificly for a character in a side-scroller, but anything not in the player’s vision is not visible, get it now? =P

He’s wanting you to see the creatures that the character would be able to see. If he’s facing one way, he should be able to see all the characters in his light radius as well as those in distant lights (even though by distant I mean only a few feet). He wouldn’t be able to see the ones behind him. Of course his game isn’t first person, but what I’m saying would ideally flow with his intentions for the game. It would definitely make logical sense as well. But! after all, it is only a game, and they aren’t made to be as realistic as possible, but rather as fun as possible. And once again, whether or not he chooses to add this feature is entirely up to him, and it seems he wouldn’t want to. Personally, I’d think it would add depth to the game, allow for more strategical level design and game play, and also show some creativity.

Flag Post

sounds good so far…

Flag Post

Now whether you want to put that in your game or not is up to you, but it doesn’t make sense that he cant see something that’s lit up in front of him.

I agree with that. Unless those zombies are ninjas, you will see them.

Flag Post

It’s te month of may…heh, was that a pun?

Flag Post

Major update now that I’ve finally found the thread ;P.

Camera and Stuff Added

Video Preview Added

Flag Post

Nice, I like how it’s more zoomed in now, and the screen flashes red when the zombies attack. I think that the field of vision should either remain in one circle, or only be where the character’s eyes should be. It’s kind of annoying that it shifts around like that.

Or perhaps you’re trying to add a sense of panic? I think that a creepy sound whenever a zombie is near would be better in creating fear though. In any case, good work.

Edit:

HarebrainedSchemer has a point about the frame rate.

Flag Post

Maybe its just me, but the high frame rates and zoom are kinda nauseating.

Flag Post

Don’t you think the block jumps around too fast?

Flag Post

> Don’t you think the block jumps around too fast?

Uhh, what? I could try to fix it if you could clarify.

Harebrain, the high frame rate was because of lag from detail, but I’ll turn that down a little, and I’ll make the camera larger.

Boredom, The circle is where the character’s eyes should be, always (except for when it stops, but that’s so that it doesn’t look so sudden when it changes direction).

Flag Post

hey badd i don’t think it is supposed to be obvious that he made it “hem” instead of hold i think he did that as a visual effect to just make the game more dark.

Flag Post

I see. Still, I think it would be better if its only a cone of light projected from the head. It’s your game though, just commenting :D

Flag Post

Ooooh! I have a suggestion! :D

How about making the camera see farther, but the obstacles can block your line of sight.

Flag Post

Sorry, I just noticed. The block jumps faster when you move to the very right at the wall and start jumping.

Flag Post

It feels kinda…slippery. Jumping over the thing in the middle feels weird.

Flag Post

I need more levels……please ;~P