Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12) page 5

309 posts

Flag Post

That’s real drawing, Deriaz…particularly the charcoal gestures. I love ‘em! It’s clear to me that you can really draw. Most people who don’t draw think that drawing occurs with the hand but actually it happens in the eye. Your hand simply does what your eyes tell it to. Too many young artists seem to get caught up in the judgment of their illustrations…constantly editing and worrying about whether it looks “right.” To that I say, it looks right if that’s what you’re seeing. With your gesture drawings I can immediately tell what you’re looking at…I “get” the posture of the model right away. Great stuff!

As promised earlier I will match your sketches with my own…just to keep the productivity up.

Flag Post

Yo Pete, why not make a thread of your own? Kind of a parallel to Deri’s? ‘Cause that way, we could see both skills and aspects of your own and Deriaz’s in different pages. Just an idea though. :P

Flag Post

Yeah, I could do that. I have a suggestion for you. Why don’t you post up a few casual sketches just for fun?

Flag Post

My scanner is beyond the status of “scanner”. I mean, either you have to grab an 8B pencil to over-line the pencil lines, or you have to take a huge black felt just so the scanner can read the lines.

But I’ll probably make a thread, too, with a bunch of my sketches in its worst quality.

Flag Post

Awesome! No harm, no foul. Everyone should post up their sketches…beginning, advanced, or whatever.

Flag Post
Originally posted by petesahooligan:

Awesome! No harm, no foul. Everyone should post up their sketches…beginning, advanced, or whatever.

Maybe not on Deriaz’s personal thread though ;P

But yeah, good plan lol :)

Flag Post

Nothing going up this Sunday. Been sick for the past week or so, so I’ve missed classes, and I need to catch up. Coupling that with the normal assignments that were given, I basically have a double work-load.

On the plus side, I got some new pens, since my old ones were drying out a bit. Nice small ones, too, like .005 and .05. I might toy around with those. I’m trying to get screenshots of a friend’s character from Borderlands for a sketch idea (we recently “beat” it. Well, he did. I’ve beaten it more times than I can count. But yay co-op.), as well as working on another one (the perspective is awesome in my head; tough to get on paper). I’m going to aim to deliver both of them to you guys next week.

I apologize for the delay again. But this is schoolwork piling up, and I can’t ignore that. Especially being a conditional student and other factors, I can’t afford letting any grade slip even slightly.

Flag Post

Oh, I (certainly, and definitely) don’t mind. I’m sure everyone here understands that schoolwork, jobs, or any other priorities (LAAAME) are important. I, too, have a lot of school crap to do, and getting on the computer isn’t, and shouldn’t be, something I do every day.

So don’t worry about it bro. Your sick masterpieces are amazing enough to keep me satisfied for the week. ;D

Flag Post

Nah. They’re not masterpieces. Just pictures. Heh. I’m flattered, though I know I’m not there yet. Long way from there.

Decided to do some NaNoWriMo stuff. I’m scrapping the one sketch I was working on (think I need to practice people in perspective more before I can do it), and the Borderlands sketch hasn’t gotten off the ground since my buddy Keith and I are waiting for the level cap raise before we play Claptrap’s Robolution. So no screenshot references to work with.

One of the characters, the Dragonborn Wizard, didn’t work out. I’m going to probably re-do him. That said, I like how the Warforged Monk came out. Since these are the only two characters I’m using in the book, protagonist-wise, 1/2 ain’t bad I suppose. So, I suppose I’ll show you the rough sketch of what Grid looks like in my mind. This wont be cleaned up since it’s just to get an image on paper, so it will probably be moved to Scraps (on dA) at some point if I feel like it, but for what it’s worth, here he is.

Copy-paste of a description of him from dA:

I don’t really have a formal write-up for this guy (I hate rough drafts and that stuff), so I figure I could just summarize him. He’s 36 years old, one of the first to come out of the creation forge. Was sold to Breland, but frequently changed banners depending on capture, who paid more, etc. Keeps to himself most of the time, now taking odd jobs here and there to keep himself with a bit of money. However, a job he’s recently taken will require a team-mate, which is where the Dragonborn Wizard comes in.

Given his large size (6’8", about 450 pounds, Composite plating), he was adept with a Greatsword, or in certain situations, a Bastard Sword with a Tower Shield. When the Last War ended, however, he felt using weaponry was only driving down his “karma”, an idea he had heard preached but doesn’t truly understand. That said, he now uses only his large fists to fight, and has begun understanding how to use the magic that keeps him bound and moving in his attacks. While these attacks aren’t incredibly powerful, they’re effective in catching the opponent off-guard. However, they eat away at him, and if over-used or used incorrectly, could seriously injure him. Thus, they’re left to drastic measures only.

Appearance-wise, again, he’s rather large. Most noticeable are etchings of a minor Mark of Making, twice on both shoulders/arms. He is commonly seen with a slightly-too-small, wide-brimmed cloth hat, and baggy canvas pants (not pictured). His plating is usually kept spotless and shiny, by his own doing in order to better present himself to others, and to help alleviate the almost monstrous look his face holds. An overly large jaw-“bone”, burnt orange eyes, and spiked “lip” make him look rather angry at all times, though he isn’t quick to anger as he was during the Last War.

. . . Okay, maybe that ended up being my “formal” write-up of him.

Anyways, yeah. Enjoy.

Flag Post

Yay the 10/10/10 drawing! :D

Nice and interesting sketch. Really look forward to seeing what you might write for NaNo

Flag Post

Sorry for the delay here — real life is slamming me pretty hard.

Something will be up, but it might take me a day or two to get around to. I have a final project I need to finish, a collage I need to do, and a massive essay to write. I haven’t really had a break in about a week and a half, so I’ll probably be showing more classwork once I get around to being able to post.

Sorry again.

Flag Post

NaNo.

’Nuff said.

Flag Post

That too, yeah. I have an essay writing class going on during it, so holy cow, I’m not sure how I might squeeze some doodles into it. Either way, got a lot on my plate, and trying to sort it out. If anything, I may just take a breather during November so I can get through this rough bit.

Now that I think about it, though, I may also have some pictures of my costume to show come Halloween. So maybe those might slip in here — those count as art, right? Well, I think they do, at least. Just need to find an old, dirty dark-gray hoodie, some baggy pants, and some duct tape, and I’m pretty much set; have got the face/hand paint, and my nails are long enough to be clipped into claws. It’s just the clothing now that is the problem.

But yeah. NaNo is starting to pressure me, I’ve got giant essays due every Tuesday, huge drawing assignments every Monday and Thursday, a tin foil dragon sculpture I’m trying to finish, and a second sculpture class starting this Friday. You can see why I’ve been busy, I assume. D:

Flag Post

But yeah. NaNo is starting to pressure me, I’ve got giant essays due every Tuesday, huge drawing assignments every Monday and Thursday, a tin foil dragon sculpture I’m trying to finish, and a second sculpture class starting this Friday. You can see why I’ve been busy, I assume. D:

I have my IBDP exams which I SHOULD be studying for (and I need the good scores so I can actually get into a decent University [Go UC Berkeley {I think (wow so many brackets)}])

Everyone’s busy, but try anyway. You’ll never know. :)

Flag Post

You have essays in an Art College/University?

crosses that off possible future schools list

Flag Post

I’m very sure studying Art is more than just drawing and technique work…

Flag Post

Lol, yeah. I know. My dad took some sort of Bachelor’s in art, and he told me a bit about it.

I keed, I keed.

Flag Post

It’s not too bad. Then again, I’m not following the exact rules — I’m supposed to be doing a rough draft, then a first draft, then a second draft, then my final. . .

I’m just kinda skipping straight to that “final” part. And then to fake a “second” draft, I delete some of the sentences I think are crucial and then print that off. I mean, yeah, I know it’s not the right procedure, but I honestly feel I write my best stuff on a whim. I hate having to go back and rework writings that I’ve done, because then it becomes a downer, since I already know that I’m not very good at it.

That, and I have a lot of stuff on my plate. So I feel I’m justified, at least for this week. Second all-nighter in a row. Yeah! . . . Wait, no, what’s the opposite of “excitement”? . . . Oh, right. /emo

Two things to note:

1) Depending on how much sleep I get tonight and if I can survive both classes tomorrow, I will either have photographs of my work up tomorrow night or sometime Wednesday. I feel fatigue setting in already, and it’s not even late into the night, so I’m going to tentatively say Wednesday. I’ve actually produced a string of things I’m kind of happy with (a collage, figure drawings, and a sculpture [that I’m finishing up tonight, yet I already love how this looks], and possibly a costume [The Hunter]), so I will either try to package them all into one post, or spread it out somehow. (The Hunter will more than likely be next week, though.) Will have to think that out. One of them I may not be allowed to directly embed here, since I know it offended one person in class today during critique. Suppose it depends on how you feel about the war and stuff. I dunno. I like it, and I don’t care if it offends, really. But I’ll respect a mod’s decision, since this is a public forum.

2) Pro-tip from a super mega pro artist like me oh man so pro: If you ever make a wire-frame, tin foil dragon, and want to make the scales out of duct tape, please. . . Have sturdier hands than mine. Duct tape. It is so sticky. It hurts after a while. Oh my god. My fingers. Ow. Ow. It looks so cool. But it’s really starting to slow me down. The result should be worth it, but hot damn, I forgot how much duct tape can sting after awhile. Haven’t worked with this much of it in so long. (Disclaimer: I’m not actually a pro artist — I just thought this was amusing, somehow, and wanted to share my pain. Haha.)

Flag Post

lol…

Deriaz got owned by duct tape. :D

Flag Post

Magazine paper is really shiny, did you know that? It makes taking a picture of it really difficult. . . Well, that, and my camera died just after I finished snapping my figure drawing stuff. So, uh, yeah. Woo. :/

Anyways, we had a male model in class the other day. Guess who doesn’t like drawing males in figure study? This guy. Yeah, the guy who mostly draws male characters. Go figure. I always feel like I’m ruining some part of the anatomy when I draw males, where-as I don’t get that feeling when I’m drawing females. So, um. . . I dunno.

The stuff is sort of sorted by the time done in class (left = earlier, right = near end), and by material: Left is mostly charcoal, but collage, oil stick, and ink is introduced as you move right. (I’m terribad with ink, so mine look more like washes. :S)

Umm. . . Yeah. I guess there’s not much else to say. Once again, if you want more detail, download link is on the dA page.

Flag Post

Me like.

Me say good job.

Me can’t wait for all these modeling and technique work to translate into awe-inspiring pieces of artwork. :)

Flag Post

You’re really getting your figure density down really well. I always had a problem with that step. It’ll be really great to see once you start adding some detail and more form onto this base.

Flag Post

Form > Detail > Wall-text post by UR praising your art.

;D

Flag Post

Happy Halloween.

Have a quick, rough thing I did in class that is sort of Halloween-ish. I like to call him the Headless Axeman. Pumpkin head because I liked that depiction of the horseman.

Flag Post

What’s the medium on that one?