Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12) page 4

309 posts

Flag Post

Sorry on the delay on replying to ya — didn’t catch your post. Heh. I know what you mean, though. I think it helped, but I suppose that’s since I’ve got both copies that I can view in front of me. As for the belt, doesn’t look like I can fix it. It would probably need to be redrawn, I think, and since I already went and cleaned the lines and everything. . . It’ll irk me, but I think I may have to let it go.

Also, forgot to post this, but as you probably already guessed, nothing from this weekend. Don’t really want to share the little doodle I did to celebrate my birthday, so something will probably come this next weekend instead.

Flag Post

But… birthday doodle…. D:

Flag Post

Happy belated birthday. :D

I’ve looked through this entire thread. You are an amazing artist, Deriaz. I haven’t seen any other art that actually makes me smile from little details, but yours has. Keep it up, and boy do I wish I could sketch like that.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Laxaria:

But… birthday doodle…. D:

It wouldn’t make much sense. It’s a doodle of Deriaz being sprayed by purple ink from a gift box. Inside joke from DDO spanning a few years. ;P It’s really rough and messy — I didn’t really mean to make it a finished piece — so it isn’t at a quality I’d want to show it. Nor do I really want to. Just something to make the day better, was all. :D

Originally posted by Glomple:

Happy belated birthday. :D

I’ve looked through this entire thread. You are an amazing artist, Deriaz. I haven’t seen any other art that actually makes me smile from little details, but yours has. Keep it up, and boy do I wish I could sketch like that.

Thanks. :)! Glad you like it all, and glad to hear it makes someone smile. I will do my best to keep that kind of quality up, then.

You should give it a shot anyway, even if you’re not sure of how good you are. You never know what you could get out of a doodle. :D

Flag Post

Someone wanted to see a sketch dump so they could see rough stuff and how I work, so with the scanner problems it’s going to take me a few extra days between schoolwork and stuff too. I apologize for it, but I do like the idea behind the request, so I figured I would run with it.

Tuesday is what I hope to be aiming for, at the latest. Maybe Wednesday, if these essays I’m writing for a class take too long.

Sorry again for missing the Sunday mark, but I’m hoping it will be worth it. At the least, maybe it’ll be interesting for some people to see.

If there are no responses by then, I’ll delete this post on Tuesday and replace it with the image.

Flag Post

When you mean expected Tuesday, you do mean this coming Tuesday right?

And not the Tuesday 50 years later when Kong exists in our heads as memories? :P

Flag Post

Well, that depends. I am working on a time travel device on the side. Y’know, as a hobby. I suppose it depends on which finishes first~

(Yes, this coming Tuesday. I realize I’ve been letting people down on missing Sundays, as well as letting myself down. :( )

Flag Post

Ah-ha! It must have worked! What year is it? Did the device work!? Oh man, I’m so g—

. . .

Damnit, this is still 2010. Well, that’s pretty much a letdown. . .

I mean, I have a sketch dump and everything. Even have a photograph that I was pretty happy with that I wanted to share as a bonus and apology. . .

I guess I’ll just leave these here~

(Apologies on the sketch dump quality — the contrast had to be cranked up an incredible amount, since I sketch lightly and the scanner isn’t still quite working. As for the photo, I know it may not be “good” by composition standards for photography. . . But I’m really happy with it. Also, it was a camera test. I have a camera now. Digital camera, though.

Both images are located in my Scrapbook on DeviantART, for anyone interested in commenting/whatever there.)

Enjoy.

Flag Post

The “Of a Small City” one is amazing. I don’t know why, but it really just caught my eye as soon as I scrolled down. I am so avvy-ing it.

Flag Post

Me likey.

Thank you for sharing :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by UnitedRebellion:

The “Of a Small City” one is amazing. I don’t know why, but it really just caught my eye as soon as I scrolled down. I am so avvy-ing it.

Go for it. :D If you need a higher resolution, for. . . Whatever reason, I’ve got a 1800×1350 file for download in my scrapbook. And if that’s not adequate enough, or you want the text itself but really large or for whatever reason, let me know — the original is 4000×3000. I can upload the original file.

Glad you like it enough for something like that. :D

Originally posted by Laxaria:

Me likey.

Thank you for sharing :)

Awesome. Thank you for liking. :D

Flag Post

I like the sketches much better than the more “finished” pieces. To my eye the drawings seem relaxed and it looks like you’re having fun. With many of the tighter drawings I see a bit of stiffness…but that’s not to say that I don’t like them, merely that the looser stuff exudes more energy.

I’d like to see more life drawing and human figure stuff. The cartoons are cool and all, and clearly you’re into it, but I’d prefer mixing it up more. (I understand we’re in a gaming site and all…probably not the most popular suggestion.)

Flag Post

Stiff, hm? It’s been a while since I’ve heard that. Definitely won’t doubt it, though, as I look at the Kassadin as a recent example. Any suggestion on how to make it less stiff? I’ve been doing the line variation and stuff, which I think helps it when compared to a lot of my earlier stuff, but if you have any ideas I’d be happy to hear them. I’ll gladly try anything if it will help me loosen up.

(I suppose I might get too stiff because I get worried things aren’t accurate. Maybe I need to ditch that, and just go with the flow? I see a lot of things that annoy me in the sketches, but if they’re liked as equally as a “finished” piece, maybe it’s not so bad. I always end up thinking “finished = clean, accurate, etc.”. . . Maybe it’s time for a change of perspective?)

As for life drawing and human figure stuff, I’ll see what I can do. Hunt through some college work, or maybe I’ll go people watching more often or something. ;P Don’t worry about it not being a popular suggestion either — I’ll take any and every suggestion offered. I might not always get around to them right away due to life or other reasons, but I try to keep them all in mind.

EDIT: Actually, the idea of stiff and needing to loosen up just gave me an idea to add to the list, after looking at the sketches again. Something to break me from always needing things to be accurate.

Flag Post

Maybe what I’m responding to is the lightness and relaxed line of the sketchier work compared to the more refined, intentional line of the cleaner stuff. While I’m a big fan of technical illustration, (you can check out my doodles here: newtacomadesign.blogspot.com), I feel like drawings by hand should feel and appear human. Pencil is organic and responds awesomely to the weight of the hand…and pen too, for that matter. I feel like analog drawings should feel like analog drawings or they risk looking out of place…dishonest, almost. Not to say your stuff looks dishonest but rather that some of the cleaner work looks like it’s carrying a little bit of tension. Maybe you struggled with how something should look, or that your hand wasn’t responding to your mind’s eye and that small bit of anxiety shows through. Does that make sense?

Flag Post

Pete just literally grabbed my tongue and put exactly what I was going to say. I really love the laid-back, less-effort kind of style emanating from the recent Scrapbook images. I especially loved the Spartan/helmeted warrior on the very top right. I find it really bold, even in its rough state. Maybe a full-view body shot, or at least a 3/4ths of the character? I find the helmet design, cape, and possible armor plating really intriguing.

Like I said before, you are an illustrating beast.

Flag Post

Do you mind, Deri?

Flag Post

Yeah, that makes sense, pete. I can relate to struggling with how something looks — Cthulhu knows I struggle with anatomy and stuff — so I can see how that might leak through. I can see what I can do about making my stuff more relaxed and fluid.

And United, I actually despise that little sketch, but didn’t want to say anything. Haha. I never actually finished it, though. I don’t know if I’ll ever return to it. The neck and stuff came out really nice, but when I tried moving down into the torso, things went to hell. I might let him collect some dust. I’ll keep it in mind that someone wants to see it complete at some point, but I don’t know when I’ll get around to it.

As for the avatar, go for it. No need to ask for permission. ;P That’s what the stuff in the thread is here for — use it for whatever you want to. I won’t and can’t stop you. It’s yours.

Flag Post

I <3 you.

LOL. Man, you and Lax are, like, the freakin’ white wizards of /5/, and DSR is like Sauron or the the Spider Queen or something. xD

So epic.

Flag Post

Give my champion some show time if you ever get around to it xD. i.e. Kog’Maw.

Also, hey Sauron was my favourite character. So, thanks?

Flag Post

Okay, Deriaz…so, are you still posting up? If you post every Sunday, I’ll match you. How does that sound?

Flag Post

He usually only posts when he makes something major, hence the text walls in each post containing a picture. And most of the time he tells us when he makes a major project, like the dinosaur chalk thing. Cool stuff is cool.

Flag Post

Ack. Sorry for the slow response here. Haven’t been around the forums too much. Only here and there.

I wanna be Sauron sometime. D: All the cool characters are always taken before I can pick. . . And I’ll get around to Kog’Maw eventually, I’m sure. I have a plan to at least doodle a bunch of the champions, at some point in time, or spaced out. Whatever works best. Think I know who to do next, but I’m going to need to be a gentleman about it. . . Though my friend plays Kog’Maw too, so I might do him afterwards just to please both of you. I also got a request from a Kong user a day or two ago that I’m going to be toying around with.

I should have something tomorrow when I wake up, since it’s 1:30 AM right now. I don’t have a set time on Sundays that I try to post — whenever I can get around to it, really — but I normally say ahead of time if something comes up and I can’t post.

That said, last class was figure drawing. I’m thinking I’ll snap a few pictures of some of the good poses, even though a lot of the stuff we did was about 20 to 40 seconds. I might also have a doodle to add along with it. I’m not really sure if I like it or not, so I might play with it a bit before posting tomorrow to see what I can do. If I can make it work in my head, I’ll toss it along. Otherwise, probably just some of the figure drawings we did in class, since I really like some of what I did.

Will also have to find a good setting for my camera for taking pictures of my work, since the scanner is 1) Not working like I’d like it to and 2) Is suited for 8×10 pictures, while the newsprint I was working on was. . . Well, large. Don’t know the dimensions. 22×30 or something like that.

Anyways, off to bed for now. Yes, there will be something when I wake up. And yes, I apologize for being slow to respond. ;P

Flag Post

It’s all good, bro. What with all the amazing stuff you’ve been feeding us with, I’d be glad to wait, and I’m sure the rest of the die-hard Deri fan boys won’t mind waiting too.

Deriaz Fanboy List:

- UnitedRebellion

Flag Post

Nah, don’t be a fanboy, please. I’m flattered and all, but I’m still learning. I, myself, don’t feel I’ve hit that “amazing” mark quite yet. Maybe some day in the future, but for the moment, I’m simply a student looking to learn. Who perhaps gets lucky one in awhile.

Please note: Today’s images are. . . Well, big. I’ve shrunk them down to work with Kongregate, but I’m including a link to the dA page itself. On the right side of the page, you’ll find a “Download Image” button. If you click that, you will be able to see much more detail. This may or may not interest you, but the option is there, in case Kongregate’s forum width restriction hampers the images.

So, the doodle didn’t work out. I’m scrapping it, and I’m going to start over. Instead, I’ll share another thing from class along with the figure drawings.

First, one of our assignments was to draw water. I’m pleased with the result, though since I was out there at sunset drawing, there was some strange stuff going on with the lighting in the water. Either the right side is too light, or the left side didn’t get highlighted enough. Either way, this is the best drawing of water I’ve done. It sounds easy, but I’ve learned it’s incredibly hard. Professor thinks I could have used more detail in the water, and irregulated (Is that a word? . . . It is now, I suppose.) the waves a bit more. I agree with him.

As a fun side note, if you turn it upside down, it makes for an interesting set of clouds, or so my professor says.

dA link

Secondly, figure drawings. Yaaaay. (No sarcasm. I get really into these figure drawing sessions. If only the Figure Drawing class didn’t fill up, like, IMMEDIATELY after registration opens, every single semester. . .)

Each drawing seen here is 20 seconds to a minute in length. No more, no less. They’re sorted from top left to bottom right, in order to show you how the class progressed. Stick figures in pencil to start, followed by charcoal, and then having to take in mass, foreshortening, shadow, etc.. Then we did some fun things like add blind contour on top, erase away part of it, work off of the edge of scrap paper only, and so on.

These are the highlights, I think. I really like some of these. The anatomy and stuff could have used a bit of work, but when you’re working under a time restraint, well. . . I think I did the best with the circumstances given to me. They feel good to me. Hopefully, you guys will like them as well. And maybe they won’t feel too tense, pete. I think the time restriction really helped me loosen up and just have some fun, but I think you might be a better judge of that. I might be blinded by how happy I am. ;P

This image is 4000 pixels wide, 3685 pixels tall. Just a heads-up, if you go to download.

dA link

Again, there is much more detail to be seen in the images if you go download them off the dA page. The Kong forums might be enough, but it might not.

Enjoy.

Flag Post

As a fun side note, if you turn it upside down, it makes for an interesting set of clouds, or so my professor says.

*hides the fact that I turned my laptop upside down to see this, then becomes disappointed* Hmm guess I don’t see clouds.

Nice figures. I really look forward to you pushing out commercial pieces and the like, although I reckon you’re probably sick of hearing all the praise with little constructive feedback.

Anyway, good to know you’re having fun. That’s very important :)