Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12)

309 posts

Flag Post

PLEASE NOTE: After 2012, I wiped out a lot of old artwork. Posts in this thread may be lacking artwork that I say I’m uploading. 2013 begins here. You’re free to skim the rest of the pages, but I apologize for any holes in the thread!

To make this easier for you all, here’s a link to the newest piece. You’re welcome to play with anything posted, however. So feel free to skim the page(s). Newest piece(s).

As always, open to critiques, from very light ones to the harshest of the harsh. Don’t hold back — I will never get mad at you for wanting to help me improve. Speak your mind!

If you need to contact me, Kongregate is not always the fastest way to reach me. Sites I frequent more often that you can private message me on are DeviantART and FurAffinity.

Optimistic about commission/request work if you want me to doodle you up something. Just shoot me a message through whatever means you like, I don’t bite.

Flag Post

A simple thing that you guys probably have already seen in the Communal Art Gallery that rawismojo played with, but I drew Blitzcrank from League of Legends.

I figure just so this thread isn’t text until Sunday, I’d put something previous up for now.

Flag Post

Hey Deriaz! I have always been a huge fan of your work, and I’m very excited about this!

A quick tip I may offer, is that when you scan something, usually it comes out very light, and hard to see on the computer. To fix this extremely quick just go and turn the contrast up. If you have Photoshop there is an auto-contrast button that helps a ton! Here’s the robot you made with slight contrast

You don’t have to do this, but I like to, just for ease to see.
-
Now, the robot you have made is quite wonderful. However everything is a little cluttered near his legs. It is hard to tell what exactly is going on down there. This may be because it is simply lineart and is not shaded, but those are just my thoughts. You did an excellent job on the hands! They really stand out, and work great with the rest of the robot.

Flag Post

Hmm. . . I’m not sure I like the contrast that the “auto” did. If I use it in the future, I’ll probably go in manually and tweak it. The auto-contrast killed a bit of the expressive line, while making it a bit messier (half my fault of the bad scan, though). Good to know, though; thanks!

I do regret how the legs turned out, for sure. I had to work off a reference for that, which unfortunately none of the sources I could find seemed to have much detail of the legs. I had to wing it a bit. I’ll take that into consideration though.

Flag Post

I’ve told Deriaz several times that I liked this picture quite a bit. I think a few of you have seen it, but I’m posting it here to show what I did with his picture. It is really awesome that he’s encouraging people to play with his pictures, and I think it’d be awesome if people took advantage of that.

Flag Post

http://0224123.deviantart.com/#/d2m3e71

Did this a ways back :D

Flag Post

would be fun if we could use more pics, since I dun wanna try yer current one since Raw’s output was.. well… really kinda hard to follow-up

Flag Post

I’ve got something in the works right now. I can easily see it being done by Sunday, at least the lines. If I decide to go further with it, I’ll be sure to remember to get multiple scans.

Don’t worry about what Raw did, though; like I said, don’t be afraid of posting something that may not be as good as someone else’s stuff if you want to work with it. Everyone’s got to learn somehow, and posting your attempt in comparison to a result that you think is hard to follow up could prove enlightening. I know Raw is still working on the tutorials for how that result came about, but don’t be shy to do something yourself.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deriaz:

I’ve got something in the works right now. I can easily see it being done by Sunday, at least the lines. If I decide to go further with it, I’ll be sure to remember to get multiple scans.

Don’t worry about what Raw did, though; like I said, don’t be afraid of posting something that may not be as good as someone else’s stuff if you want to work with it. Everyone’s got to learn somehow, and posting your attempt in comparison to a result that you think is hard to follow up could prove enlightening. I know Raw is still working on the tutorials for how that result came about, but don’t be shy to do something yourself.

Psst: Deriaz, draw a cover for your JulNoWriMo Novel. Psst!

Flag Post

Hmm. . . That’s not a bad idea. My concern, though, is that I haven’t had much time to actually write. D: So it’d be weird to have a cover image thing, but then not much content within. . .

Flag Post

Decided to start out the first week of this with something simple, so just some linework. I tried the Contrast tool as you suggested, JediDude; I found going through Levels first had a better use, and then went back to Brightness/Contrast to do only a very minor tweak. I think it helped.

Attempted a bit different of a scan and clean approach. . . I will freely admit that it picked up some under-drawing, so I had to clean away a lot of that. I may have missed some spots, so if you play with it and really nudge the contrast and stuff around, you may notice it a bit more. I apologize in advance for that; did the best that I could, from what I could see.

Celebrating my 450th hour of Pyro, and completing all 37 achievements legitimately through normal play. Woulda had them sooner, but I like resetting my stats a lot. Lol.

Pyro from Team Fortress 2. Owned by VALVe.

Thinking I may do Laxaria’s suggestion next. Not sure where to even begin with it, but it’s an appealing idea.

Flag Post

Your line fidelity is just great, Deriaz. I know you’re primarily an illustrator fore-most, but I’d really love to see you pick up inking. I think you’d do quite well with it. A set of pens and brushes aren’t all that expensive. The left hand (his/her left) looks just a bit off, but then again, their hand is quite weird in-game as well. He/she doesn’t look quite as stocky as they do in the game, but all the proportions are pretty dead on besides that. Good work, par usual.

Flag Post

Oh, man, that left hand. It’s the thumb mostly, I think, that is the problem there. The “pinky” finger isn’t helping it much, either. I didn’t see it until after scan, but I definitely agree what you’re talking about.

As for ink, I actually do have a set of pens that I bought a year or so ago, ranging from something like .05 to .8? I’ll have to check again. I’ve never done much with them, but I’ll give it a shot for either the next one or a future one. Would be fun to try, I think, now that I’m a bit more confident with line.

Flag Post

colour the Pyro im anxious to see it XD

Flag Post
Originally posted by nordor:

colour the Pyro im anxious to see it XD

If I find the spare time, I’ll keep it in mind. I’ve moved on to another drawing at this point, though the pose I have it in is making for a bit of a struggle.

That said, I don’t think I’ll go back and work on previous stuff until there’s a good base of stuff to work with in this thread (though my dA stuff is open to usage as well). You’re welcome to give a shot at coloring it, but I probably won’t go back to it for a while.

Flag Post

But where’s the spy?

Flag Post

I decided to ink the pyro image, although I’m not sure if I’ll color it. I’m happy with how the line art turned out, at least.

Here’s the high-resolution inking on a transparent background, if anyone wants to give coloring a shot (I’m looking at you, Deriaz). Link

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

(I’m looking at you, Deriaz).

Ack! Wait! My mask is a bit loose. Let me— Oh, nevermind, it’s still tied around my face securely. It’s all good. You can look at me.

If you guys really want me to give a shot at coloring, I can do so. I can’t give you a reasonable guess as to how long it may take, though, and I’ll have to decide if devoting a week or whatever to trying to color is equivalent to drawing. . . But I’ll keep it in mind. It seems the interest is there, so I can’t really just sit back and ignore it, now, can I?

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

(I’m looking at you, Deriaz).

Ack! Wait! My mask is a bit loose. Let me— Oh, nevermind, it’s still tied around my face securely. It’s all good. You can look at me.

If you guys really want me to give a shot at coloring, I can do so. I can’t give you a reasonable guess as to how long it may take, though, and I’ll have to decide if devoting a week or whatever to trying to color is equivalent to drawing. . . But I’ll keep it in mind. It seems the interest is there, so I can’t really just sit back and ignore it, now, can I?

I personally think we’ll love you no matter what (no homo), but yeahhhhhh, you’d be pretty awesome if you could somehow manage to fit coloring that beastly line art of Raw’s for our viewing pleasure into your schedule :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by ozzy123:

I personally think we’ll love you no matter what (no homo), but yeahhhhhh, you’d be pretty awesome if you could somehow manage to fit coloring that beastly line art of Raw’s for our viewing pleasure into your schedule :D

I’ll see what I can do. Heh. I’ll probably finish up what I’m attempting this week, even though I think it’s going to come out pretty bad (I chose a terrible pose, I think). . . But then I’ll see if I can poke around with it. It may not be done in the next week, but I’ll toy with it and see what happens.

Flag Post

Am I proud of this? Well, sure. Am I happy with it? Not entirely.

Consider that “Der-dagron” thing dead. My inner D&D nerd won out, and I drew my old 4th Edition character, Blue. He was a Dragonborn Ranger. I liked him. I don’t get to play him any more though, since I moved.

Two suggestions taken for this one — Laxaria’s cover image idea, though that flopped yet I stuck with the character I had used. And rawismojo’s ink suggestion, though I feel the line quality suffered a bit. I think once I get used to the ink bleeding a bit and the pens in general, it will look better.

Flag Post

I would love to see the cast of Mardek 3 drawn by you… The entire set of characters. :D

And maybe Deugan + Emela. XD

Lizard above reminds me of Sslen’ck. ^_^

Flag Post

I actually have been meaning to play through all of Mardek. I love Pseudo’s games, and played Raider for a week straight, even after beating it a few times.

So maybe if I eventually get to Mardek 3, if I like the characters enough, maybe I’ll do something. ;P

Flag Post

I actually have been meaning to play through all of Mardek. I love Pseudo’s games, and played Raider for a week straight, even after beating it a few times.

So maybe if I eventually get to Mardek 3, if I like the characters enough, maybe I’ll do something. ;P

Wallpaper drawing! :D

PS: I ABSOLUTELY SWEAR if you replace the sword in that picture above with an axe, it will look exactly like SSlen’ck.

Flag Post

Nah. Axes are for squares. ;P

Hammer > Sword > Axe is the only correct way to order “cool”-ness of weapons. Lol. Of course, I figured short swords would be better than a light mace or two to keep up with my min-max friend, so that’s why there’s that discrepancy.

But I’ll take your word for it, until I see Sslen’ck for myself. Heh. It’s obviously a case of Sslen’ck seeing how cool Blue is and wanting to emulate it, instead of somehow being the other way around without having seen Sslen’ck. ;D