Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12) page 6

309 posts

Flag Post

Charcoal on newsprint, eraser to pull it back.

It’s about. . . I would guess a foot and a half wide by two and a half feet tall? Something like that.

It’s not finished, obviously. We didn’t have a terribly long amount of time to work. I don’t know that I’ll go back to it. I kind of like it how it is, though.

Flag Post

Sorry for the huuuuge delay here; I’m trying to sort out my life right now. Lots of people and things are demanding my attention, as well as work I’m really far behind on.

To those wanting updates: I apologize on the delay. I will try my hardest to get at least a rough work-in-progress up next Sunday — I have a piece of fan-art I really want to do for a (should-be) kick-ass game coming out on Tuesday, as well as a “self”-portrait I want to do for my 100th deviation on dA.

To the two people whose suggestions I’ve taken under my wing, yet have been horribly neglecting: I doubly apologize. I feel terrible that I haven’t gotten these to you yet; they are constantly on my mind, though. I will try my best to get you two something to look at here within the next week or two, even if they aren’t finished products.

Flag Post

Take your time! Life comes first. :)

Flag Post

Huh.

Well would’ja look at that.

This thread is at the top of the forum.

Must mean I did something. . .

I doodled, and it turned into fan-art. Only thing I’ve done during break so far that I’m pleased with. Trying a few new things: I’m experimenting with weighing my lines slightly different, though I’m not sure that it’s working very well. It’s kind of all ending up thick looking. I’m trying to attempt animals again, though I know Arnkell’s (the eagle’s) wing and feet need to be re-done, as they aren’t sitting/looking correctly. I’ll see what I can do about that. I’m doing backgrounds, or at least starting to poke at them, to stop my figures from floating in space so much. (I know it’s bland for a first background, but hey, I’m really happy with that tree. And the fact there’s actually a background. I’m enjoying this small victory while I can.)

This is far from complete. I’m going to be doing a bit/lot of clean-up, and then either shading (never done a back-lit before) or an inking (never done one of this scale before). Both sound interesting, though I might lean towards ink. I’ll have to see.

Anyways, I just wanted to update you guys on what I’m doing, but unfortunately this is all I really have that I’m proud enough to show. (This was taken with a CAMERA, not a SCANNER. I apologize for slight messiness — it was more for documentation of in-progress stuff more than anything.) I’ll be shooting a few of you messages; I apologize incredibly on my delay on getting back to you.

That said, here’s Malthu and Arnkell, Troll Hunter and Kalimdor Eagle.

Enjoy. I apologize for disappearing for so long. I’ll try not to do that anymore, or at least not for as long of times.

Flag Post

I adore the building sketches on page 5. F’reals. Totally dig them. It’s fun flipping through your pages of work. n.n

Flag Post

Those aren’t actually mine, haha. I suppose it looks a bit confusing at the time when petesahooligan wanted to make the thread into a collaboration of what people are doing. Not against the idea at all, but it didn’t seem to take off, and those just kind of rest there as a remnant of the attempt. D:

But thank you all the same. I will totally take credit for those. ;P (I kid, of course.)

Flag Post

LMAO, welp, I dig ‘em quite a but…but I dig YOUR charcoal figures, too. Charcoal is hella tough to work with…especially when you’re sketching like moving figures and…yeah. =3=

Flag Post

Omnomnomcharcoal.

I hated it when I first started at NSCAD. Love it now after a year, since I wasn’t really allowed to touch a pencil for assignments and in-class work. I’m not terribly great with it like some people, but it gets the job done so well, and quicker than graphite at times too. I’m just a sucker for having more control, though, which is why I fall back to pencil and paper so much. My prof, at times, doesn’t seem to happy about that after trying to get me to switch fully to charcoal (or so he sounds like at times), but. . . :S I do my best, at the least, to get decent with it. Really useful tool to know.

Flag Post

I haven’t used charcoal in years. Though, I DO pick up my oil pastels, on occasion. :3

Flag Post

The troll and eagle looks really great. :D I like what you did with the thick lines.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xXScrapheadXx:

The troll and eagle looks really great. :D I like what you did with the thick lines.

Glad to hear someone is enjoying the lines. I’m still not sure on them myself, but if people are liking them, I might just be trying too hard.

Thanks! :D

Originally posted by TiltedHaloPs44:

I haven’t used charcoal in years. Though, I DO pick up my oil pastels, on occasion. :3

whargarbl oil pastels. D: My greatest enemy. Had to use those in drawing class, and I hated them. We were using clear/white ones and mixing it with ink and stuff, though, so that might be why, but I felt like I had absolutely no control with those. Major respect if you’re able to use those — I always felt like it was a crapshoot on whether it would look like the figure we were meant to draw or not.

Flag Post

My only problem with oil pastels is I tend to rub my fingers raw from all the blending. I use my fingers more than those rolled paper nubs. XD

Flag Post

Stall me, stall me, I’m all in.
Stall me, call me up, or break me in.
A dark room in the wallflower garden of the party.
She’s got four on the floor,
she’s waiting to kickstart me. . .
So just stall me
!”

Oh hey~ How long were you standing there? Well, this is embarrassing. I can’t sing for my life. Uh. . .

Don’t look at me like that. We both knew this would happen. I like to pretend I’m capable of something once a week. Call it dreaming, call it not growing up, call it believing that those sappy songs in alternative rock, pop-rock, pop-punk-rock, pop-punk-rock-who-combines-genres-like-this-anyway songs are still floating in my head.

In the words of GLaDOS, “We both know that isn’t going to happen.” Me actually stick to what I said, that is. That’s why I’ve thrown up my hands and sort of hidden myself away. Those of you who saw my DeviantART post know what I mean. I’m just not sharing things right now. At least not often. Because I’m harshly aware that I’m a student, and a novice at that, and I don’t think I have the balls to be showing something once a week. I need to practice a lot more first. I need to break old habits, build new ones, and then look to others for help improving.

Maybe I’m stubborn. Hi! I’m Deriaz Ironfist. If you’re new around here, I like critiques. And in a trend of ignoring or forgetting what I just said, let’s skip to the last part of that last paragraph’s last sentence!

Meet Gram, the Minotaur, and Mehrin, the Uh, Well, I Guess You’d Call Him Living Armor?. Two rough character sketches I used to help me think about a Flash animation final for my class. I don’t know what I’m doing with these two yet. I’ll figure that out soon. They’ve also changed roughly since drawing them. Gram’s face will change. Same with the skirt. Mehrin’s bones are vanishing. His leg armor will probably change.

These are about 15 minute sketches. I apologize for the camera shots. They will be updated soon, if I can remember to do so, with scanner quality. I just can’t get in that room right now, nor do I think the scanner has worked in a long while. . .

Anyway. Yeah. I know they’re rough sketches, but I just wanted to share. I’m not completely dead. I’m mostly dead. Wait. No. Bad time for that Princess Bride reference. Uh. Mostly alive. Just quiet. Very quiet. I want to say it was either Pivot or Techy that spurred the thought process to me eventually uploading something. So if someone out there wanted to see what I’ve been up to, one of them deserves a thanks in a roundabout way.

Enjoy. Let me know what you guys think.

When everything goes wrong, where did I go wrong?
I’m sorry I forgot your birthday. I’m sorry ’cause I was shit-faced. . .
~”

(Seriously, Panic! At The Disco’s, Yellowcard’s, and Quietdrive’s (woo hometown band) new albums are amazing. Check ’em out.)

Flag Post

You, Deriaz, need to make a flash game.
:D Great drawings.

Flag Post

I don’t think I could do a Flash game. Haha. The coding would drive me mad. It’s why I had to quit my job when I was a website designer. So many lines of HTML. . . It was grating and quickly went from being a very fun past-time to something I couldn’t stand anymore. It’s why if I somehow, for the life of me I don’t know, end up in the game business, I’ve already told myself I’m either going to help in design, feedback, art, or writing. I just cannot touch the coding.

It’s why I fear the same would happen if I do a Flash game. Maybe in the future I might collaborate and do some art for someone, and that might somehow end up in a game. That might be neat. Need to actually do that whole “digital” thing first, though, I suppose. Haha. Baby steps?

Thank you.

Flag Post

OMG DERIAZ UPDATED HIS THREAD! AMIGHAD! :O

Any way, nice! :)

Flag Post

That’s breathtaking, Deriaz. You have always been an inspiration to me.

I totally agree with Yuyuter. If you don’t like the coding part of making a game, at least collaborate with the game’s art.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Laxaria:

OMG DERIAZ UPDATED HIS THREAD! AMIGHAD! :O

Any way, nice! :)

I KNOW RIGHT? WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME? I WILL MAKE SURE NOT TO DO THIS AGAIN IM SO SORRY I DONT KNOW HOW THIS KEEPS HAPPENING WHERE DID THE PUNCTUATION GO

Thanks. :)

Originally posted by lightsun:

That’s breathtaking, Deriaz. You have always been an inspiration to me.

I totally agree with Yuyuter. If you don’t like the coding part of making a game, at least collaborate with the game’s art.

I have discovered Flash Animation is hard. And slow. But I’m having fun with it, though I think I may have to give this another shot when I’m not on a time schedule.

And thank you. :)

When there’s a burning in your heart, an endless fury in your heart.
Build it bigger than the sun. Let it grow, let it grow.
And there’s a burning in your heart.
Don’t be alarmed.
(This. . . Fire. . . Grows. . . Higher. . .)

And then dat guitar riff

Oh, wait, no, that’s not what I wanted to share. Corel Painter 11 is what I wanted to share. Know what it does? Awesome stuff, like, uh. . . Like having lots of brush options. And being more comfortable for me than Photoshop. So I timed myself (30 minutes), and told myself it had to be an interesting angle (Used a screenshot to help this along so I didn’t get hung up on minor details), and it had to have color. So I drew one of my characters, Voulge, because you know I like me some Warforged.

http://deriaz.deviantart.com/#/d3ddfum

I don’t know why I colored the bits I did. But I like the result. I’ll probably do one or two more practices, and then maybe a longer thing. Like a “self” (read: Deriaz) portrait. It’s a lot simpler for me to use than Photoshop, and the simple fact that there are so many blenders and paints and sheer options to use is awesome. Okay, wait, maybe that sounds backwards. But I don’t really care, so long as I’m learning new ways of making stuff, because we all know how Foundation: Painting went here at NSCAD for me.

Oh wait, you guys don’t. I’m not legally allowed to say, because a few people went blind and someone died, but it went. . . Somewhere. Cough. So let’s stick to digital where it isn’t horrible for now, mmkay? This seems like an avenue I want to explore.

I’m allowed to break my “Sunday only” rule I set up since the original thread intention kinda died, right? Wait a second, I’m actually sharing multiple things. What is wrong with me. Oh geez. Okay, keep it together. Maybe this can become a sort-of-regular thing? I dunno. It’s a difficult thing to decide. . .

Flag Post

I dunno. I guess I’m just uploading and sharing a lot more now all of a sudden. Am I allowed to double post and stuff if I’m updating with new art? I know aC, I think it was, said I was allowed to do that when it was spaced out, but I don’t know if it’s become more strict around here about that with the merger, or what. . . Um. . . If a Forum Mod sees this, lemme know?

Anyways, a new challenge to myself. One hour. Digital ONLY. NO references allowed. Draw whatever comes to mind, and skimp on accuracy if I need to to get as far as I can. . . Then I discovered my tablet’s drivers don’t exactly work, so I got stuck focusing on line instead of doing anything a bit more. This drawing was spurred/inspired by another artist I watch a lot, and seeing what he did in an hour. I was like, “Woooow. An hour? I wonder if I could do anything like that in an hour.” Not sure I would have reached what he did in the hour, but for my own skill level and experience in the digital realm, I’m thrilled with this, despite the flaws in the wings and right arm.

Azreth Hammerwing, from an online D&D campaign my friends and I have mulled over. I built this guy as a Paladin, eventually taking Scion of Arkhasia to get wings. (I always imagine Dragonborn with tails, to explain that weird bit.) I like the idea of a flying Dragonborn Paladin, a champion of Bahamut, protecting and saving people. . . Oh, right. He’s not in full plate. Uh. About that. With no references allowed, my own restriction, I thought, “Huh. Okay. I can’t do armor without a reference. Generic clothes gogogo.” And that happened.

I dunno. I’m thrilled with it, being no references and being only an hour and absolutely digital only, but maybe I’m biased? Lemme know if it’s actually absolute shit, and I will knock down my little ego back to where it belongs.

Enjoy.

Flag Post

For a sketch, perfect in the eyes of myself, but I pretty much always think your art looks perfect rofl >.< So I might not be a good opinion either lol

Flag Post
Originally posted by ozzy123:

For a sketch, perfect in the eyes of myself, but I pretty much always think your art looks perfect rofl >.< So I might not be a good opinion either lol

Nono, it’s okay. Every opinion is good to me. :D

I, personally, think perfect shoots a bit high, but I am definitely flattered. Glad to see people are liking it, through the various sites I’ve put it up on and the feedback so far. Thanks! :)

Flag Post

Welcome lol :) And maybe not perfect, but really good hahah

Flag Post

I love/miss you Der. <3

Flag Post

New picture = me likey. :D

Always nice to see some more activity.

Flag Post

Nice sketch, that new one.