Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12) page 12

309 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Lime_:

you know alberta right? well I’ve volunteered alot at the art gallery of alberta. I may be going into college next year for the arts but I’m still really stuck wether I should go into architecture or the fine arts.

yes but doodling with charcoal sucks :P and I agree, I usually only have charcoal so I can do the shading with it.

Can’t believe I missed this! My bad!

I would go into whatever you like drawing more of, to be honest. If you like drawing architecture and tend to doodle that idly, go for that. If it’s people or just random things, go for fine arts, if you so choose. Though, given my recent exposure in a higher level drawing class, uh. . . Well, they don’t tend to appreciate illustration in a Fine Arts class, it seems. At least, from my perspective from my very limited point of view. So be careful there. “Illustration is as much fine art as a musician is an artist.” Feh. . . But that’s a rant for another day and you’re not here for that you’re probably here for the art SO LET’S POST SOME ART YEAH THAT SOUNDS COOL.

First up is probably the best thing of the bunch. “Self-portrait” based on a list of words that friends used to describe me or my personality. I will not tell you what was in the list, I will simply let you look at it yourself. rawismojo helped me with some of the problems of the piece, which I. . . Sort of? corrected as best I could. Sadly, I fell asleep shortly after the critique raw gave, and it was due the next day. I didn’t get far. Ugh. The changes weren’t even noticeable by camera, so I went with the best quality one. Sorry, raw. I failed you!

Anyways, this was received fairly well by students in class. Despite getting very little commentary from other students, I am still pretty happy with this. Charcoal, pencil, marker, ink (felt tip and sharpie) on sketch paper, about 3 and a half hours of work. Also, I can’t do hair with charcoal. That’s painfully clear. Need to learn how. The recent model I’ve worked with at NSCAD (yet worked with him for nearly a year straight) has been bald. That’s the opposite of helpful.

Secondly was a project based on the comments and critiques received last class. I ditched the markers because they wanted me to get better quality ones, and I frankly don’t have the money for it, especially when I am so new to that type of medium. Paper is now Academia, I believe? Anyways, I didn’t know what the hell to draw, so I thought, “What appeals to my 90’s kid mind? T-Rex. Guns. Cheesy Action Heroes. WHOA MAN T-REX WITH A GUN WITH METEOR SHOWER IN THE BACKGROUND AND the magic is gone after about 3 hours of work oh well that was fun while it lasted I’ll move on.”

Just not as good. No good contrast, no strong focus, just. . . Just a T-Rex. That’s about it. . . Eeyup.

Lastly is just scrap work, but what I have in mind. Tooling around with the Korvaan / Wasp character, reshaping the skull, figuring out how other members of his race would work, what kind of clothes they’d wear, etc. I don’t normally sit and think regarding this stuff, but I need to get better at it, so starting with just doodles during lecture is better than nothing. I’ll do something with it eventually.

“Deriaz, what’s up with the title?”

… but Bill pretended not to notice.

Go find Don Hertzfeldt’s trilogy called “It’s Such A Beautiful Day”. It’s three parts: “Everything Will Be Okay”, “I’m So Proud Of You”, and “It’s Such A Beautiful Day”. I ordered the DVD with all three parts on it, and I can’t wait to finally see part 3, since it’s nowhere to be found online. If you want a taste of what it’s like, here’s part 1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1IUX0Qy-IDM

“Deriaz, where did the Pathfinder go on your dA page?”

Deleted it. I can’t save it with pete’s linework trick. It was fun to try, but I may just need to try again. Or admit it just. . . It’s just not a good drawing and I need to move on. Either one works.

“Deriaz, I can’t stop asking questions, but I know you’re okay with that.”

Indeed, I don’t mind.

“So, then, what’s next?”

lolidunno. I was hoping to do my own stuff here in Advanced Studio in Drawing, but my proposal was shot down. I was hoping to use the class as a way to begin building stuff for a portfolio, but. . . That will have to come on the side, I guess. OH WELL. Not sure what’s to come, but I’ll take it as it comes. One thing’s for sure: I’m not looking at Warhol or Lichenstein like my classmates think I should. I’m not fond of con artists. I will continue doing what I enjoy doing, despite my classmates not approving of it.

That feels good to finally write down.

Flag Post

My titles are becoming progressively less descriptive for everything I upload. Hmm.

Not really much to say this week. First a project for class. India ink and masking tape. Like the material, may work with it more. Wanted to add color, prof/students said it was “done”. Should have gone with gut instinct and added it. Also, don’t use so much water — it makes it harder to darken later. Duly noted.

Second, tree studies. Photo refs: http://www.treepicturesonline.com/pine-tree-picture.jpg and http://blog.arborjet.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/84a0a9593b3d2710_Oak_Trees_Pictures_B.jpg . 45 minutes, oil on canvas board.

I’m so bad at oil. I shouldn’t have saved the painting classes ’til the end in hindsight. Oh well. Just need more practice.

Sketch to finish it up. About fourty minutes-ish. Blitzcrank again. World tournament. Robots on the mind. BEEP BOOP TOURNAMENT DELAYED.

Like some parts of it, hate others. Woo~

Random music for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qYkbTyHXwbs

Enjoy.

Flag Post

Man, Deriaz you just seem to make massive strides with every post. I love a lot of these past few works. Your self portrait is so…dark it gives me chills. The read is very deep and even though the piece is it’s self heavy with darkness the red still makes it pop to life. My only question would be to ask is it suppose to simulate blood or be a representation of something else? A dark, romantic lover? Hiding, or maybe people are projecting, a bad vibe onto, making them unapproachable yet how can we truly know what lies under the mask? It could all just be a perception of something that is not really there.

…Wow I didn’t expect to go into that piece like that. Very though provoking.

The owl piece looks great, think those hits of blue ar enough, or MAYBE just a tad more, if your set on it. Personally it look finished.
That masking tape gave and interesting effect.

Flag Post

Thank you! (Sorry I’m slow here to respond. Completely missed your post!)

I really, really love the self-portrait, even looking back on it. I’ll intentionally skirt the question on whether it’s blood or a representation of something else. Haha. I think that’s part of why I still love it — people still guessing what some of it means. As for the owl, I feel it’s done as well. The blue was actually a bit of a mistake — I had only meant it in the eyes and the beak. The class feels I should have used it more, but. . . Maybe that would be even more chaotic, or what it needs. Hard to tell.

SKETCH TIME AND THEN A NEW PROJECT STARTING.

Bus sketch, 45 minutes. I wanted to draw a cow or something. And then my mind started wandering, but my hand didn’t. OH GOD WHAT HAVE I DONE.

Bus sketch, about 30 minutes. A turian, because I’m so original. phsyco2 of FurAffinity said he likes that my stuff has a weathered feel to it, which is kind of enlightening. I think. . . I like that about my stuff. I think there’s a lot of potential in that statement. I hope it doesn’t go away.

HEY HERE’S SOME BUS SKETCH FAILURES TO MIX IT UP A BIT. Feel free to take these and run with them or whatever. They’re just for fun, showing me at a low point for some interesting talking points, maybe.

Okay, this piece takes a lot of explaining. I’m going to copy-paste what I said on DeviantART.

Summary: After weeks of confusion and flip-flopping, this is the entry piece (unfinished) into an exploration of music in art, and the energy behind both mediums.

Long story: In my Advanced Studio in Drawing Class, I was very clearly told on our first critique, “You should avoid illustration.” That “Illustration is to fine art as musicians are to music.” (what) Upon presentation of my project for the semester, I was told this yet again, by both students and professor. I was told, “You shouldn’t try to emulate illustrators or other artists.” (what)

Okay. So, here, I’ll do this. ( Owl in previous post. ) Response? “It’s very chaotic. It’d be nicer if it was more illustrative.” (. . .) So I decided, okay, I’ll try more illustration. Second attempt (not uploaded, still under tweaks), what am I told? “You should go to the library and look up artists to emulate, maybe even outright copy if you have to.” (. . .)

Okay. SO. I propose to the class, in critiques, what exactly they feel I should do. I’m given BOTH stances. I go to the prof, who has been quiet. He tells me, “You know, maybe you shouldn’t take everything they say to heart. I’m curious about what you want to do, as I don’t know your creative process.” Another student told me, “You need to find some sort of political or just interesting statement you want to make. And f***ing MAKE IT.”

So we’re avoiding politics and that crap. What do I like? I love music. I love the creation, the energy, the theatrics. I love it all. So I began sketching ideas. They failed at first. Eventually, a doodle of Korvaan here smashing a bass stuck with me. I blew it up to it’s current size, 3 feet wide by 2 feet tall. It’s going to have some dust cloud-esque things going from the left and the right, making it larger, as well as the wings being extended.

What am I trying to do? I’m trying to capture the essence of music alongside the theatrics and energy the performers themselves have, and illustrate it. My most striking bits of music in memory have been the destruction of instruments during performances, so that came out in this first part. I’m not sure if I’ll continue that theme. I also don’t know how I will give this some volume or more interest. I’m inspired by Kara Walker’s silhouettes, and may explore something in a similar vein to that.

THAT RAMBLED. HAVE KORVAAN SMASHING A BASS.

3 feet by 2 feet, felt tip pen on Academia paper. Approximately 4 hours so far, from thought process to current stage.

I really love the linework so far, and I’m hoping I can capture the cloud-like effect I want to add onto the sides of him. And then, of course, that the other pieces feel just as strong to me. I’m really enjoying myself now that I feel like I have control and am doing what I want to do.

Random music: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4zmv1IFCOA

Enjoy.

Flag Post

I already talked to Deriaz about these works, but did want to mention that his ink owl and bee hendrix are totally badass and awesome. Your inking had come so so so so far with the guitar image. It’s so crisp! I’m really excited about what you do to finish off that piece.

Flag Post

Insane! Can’t wait to see the final piece.

By the way, Queen rules. The whole “A night at the opera” album is amazing.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

I already talked to Deriaz about these works, but did want to mention that his ink owl and bee hendrix are totally badass and awesome. Your inking had come so so so so far with the guitar image. It’s so crisp! I’m really excited about what you do to finish off that piece.

<3

Originally posted by lightsun:

Insane! Can’t wait to see the final piece.

By the way, Queen rules. The whole “A night at the opera” album is amazing.

If all goes according to plan, it should be a series of three. One based around guitar/bass, one based around vocals/lyrics, one based around rhythm/drums. Because I used Korvaan already, I may end up keeping the animal theme going, but taking a bit more thought into what anthropomorphic animal I’d use to represent an instrument.

I’ve sent a PM to one guy around the net wondering if I can get a screenshot of his workspace in whatever program he uses to make his electronic music. I’d like to make it a set of four, with the fourth being based around the concept of electronic music. But that’s dependent on if he wants to share or not — luckily, the series doesn’t need it to be complete. It’s a nice bonus if it appears, though~

And I, shamefully, haven’t dug into Queen much. I discovered this song via Rock Band Blitz, with my only real prior experience with Queen being the repeated play of Bohemian Rhapsody. So much so, that I told myself if people were this fanatic over Queen, and only this one song, they weren’t worth looking up. I, uh. I’ve very quickly realized that is THE WRONG OPINION TO HAVE. i want more

Thanks!

Flag Post

already a pro impressionist I see :P. the owl is amazing along with everything else. I like how you capture the motion in each sketch.

Flag Post

already a pro impressionist I see :P. the owl is amazing along with everything else. I like how you capture the motion in each sketch.

Hah! I wish I was a pro impressionist. I like that style, and it seems to be what I’m just naturally drawing towards when I’m doodling, or something in a similar vein, so I can’t say I’m unhappy with it. (Whether it actually is impressionist, I’ll leave up to others to decide.) But I’m so far from being a “pro”. Heh.

Thank you!

I’ll try to post some more stuff this weekend. Other characters, a digital painting, and some other things. Super busy at the moment, but noticed you posted, so I felt obliged to respond.

Flag Post

nice job deriaz. nice to see you still posting. the gas mask with skull and the india ink owl are awesome. you are getting really good. and nice blitz again :D i would like you to try to draw some other league of legends characters if you get to it. but do what you gotta do. you are getting better :D

Flag Post

your great in character design. ever thought as taking that as a profession.

Flag Post
Originally posted by papplejacks:

nice job deriaz. nice to see you still posting. the gas mask with skull and the india ink owl are awesome. you are getting really good. and nice blitz again :D i would like you to try to draw some other league of legends characters if you get to it. but do what you gotta do. you are getting better :D

Blitz is sort of my go-to guy when I dunno what to draw or I’m trying something a bit different. As much as I like some other character designs from League (Jax springs to mind, Skarner, etc.), I’m doing my best to try and avoid just doing fan-art-y stuff right now. Maybe in the future or as quick sketches, but I can’t see myself doing one soon.

And thank you! Much appreciated, and I’ll keep doing my best.

your great in character design. ever thought as taking that as a profession.

As a profession? Mmm. I dunno. Like, it’d be nice. But I don’t know that I can live on just that alone. At least, definitely not at my current level of skill. Have a long way to go before I can just do only characters. I need to branch into landscapes/scenery. (I’m actually looking at Toph Gorham‘s work as something I’d like to explore next. The amount of detail that guy reaches is phenomenal.)

(EDIT: By a long way to go, I mean literal light-years. Looking at stuff from other illustrators, my stuff looks pitiful next to theirs. I have to step it up by leaps and bounds before I can even consider drawing scraps for people, I think.)

-Sorry I couldn’t upload anything this weekend, as well. So busy with classwork and stuff I haven’t had the time. At some point I will upload, I promise, and I won’t just type stuff. I just don’t know exactly when that’ll be, since my schedule can be a bit hectic. Maybe I should stop saying, “Next weekend” or stuff like that, at least while I’m a college student. Hah.-

Wait, no! I DO have something I can show, something digital! I completely forgot!

Okay, so, backstory first: I wanted to practice anatomy, posing, and texture/lighting in Photoshop. And I figured, well, a guy by the name of diarmaidhutchence has a character named Jeremy. He’s a big anthro-snake thingy. Since NSCAD doesn’t really do big, muscular models, male or female, I had to do this on my own. (They say it’s because muscular people are “too stiff”, but, like. . . There’s still the importance of volume and mass, isn’t there? Come on.) So using an anthropomorphic character? I get to play with design, I get to play with the traits I want to practice, I get to try Photoshop, and that guy gets free art of his dude. Win win all around.

I decided to not do the full character, instead doing the human-ish figure top half. Copy-paste of what I said on dA:

What I learned: Working large is great for how I like to doodle. References are great. Strong silhouettes/figures leave backgrounds a little less necessary and free. That I enjoy working digitally when things pull together easily.

What I should keep in mind for the future: The markings Jeremy has don’t appear well when in a dark area, and almost look black. Could not find a fix for that. Python heads are hard to draw, and I found myself caught between going pure realistic or interpreted. Need to make stronger distinction. Opacity is your friend, but you should make a note to use it from the start, otherwise you’ll waste two hours of your time when one half of the drawing looks different than the other.

What I think I should do next: Learn opacity and layer settings/texture a bit more, perhaps through drawing a background. Continue with this sort of depiction, though, because it’s relaxing and fun. Maybe broader strokes. Ambient light needs to be considered from the get-go.

I think this turned out. . . Okay? I dunno. It’s been a week and a half, so thinking on it, there are a lot more problems than I think I first saw. But it is something I enjoy saying I made, and I’m hoping is a sign of good things to come.

REFERENCE IMAGE: http://i.imgur.com/PdbbB.jpg (Used for initial sketch and reference for lighting.)

Hopefully that makes up for the slow updates.

Flag Post

creepy shadows and highlights are perfet though

Flag Post

creepy shadows and highlights are perfet though

Hah! He does look a bit creepy, yeah. I guess it’s that weird middle-ground of wanting a realistic approach to anatomy, but being undecided on the head in regards to realism or something cartoony like the character is usually depicted in. If I had to point out one thing that kills the piece, it’s that.

Thanks! :D

Flag Post

ERMAGERD DERIAZ! YOU’RE STILL HERE!

Comparing from when I last saw your work, it’s definitely feeling a lot cleaner and fresher. Your anatomical accuracy is stunning.

Dem hands on dat lizard thing are orgasmic.

Oh, and I like your owl.

Keep it up ^^

Flag Post

ERMAGERD ME! I mean, YURYURTUR.

Yup, still here. I check this so infrequently that a lot of stuff slips under my nose because my browser doesn’t show new posts correctly, and I have to physically discover someone posted by looking at the “last posed” column. Which means new threads sneak by really easily because I guess I’m really bad at noticing when things have only one post in them. But then again, I dunno who all wants critique, or how harsh of critique (since this semester has jaded me a bit), or so on and so forth. That said, doesn’t feel right to just let the forums die a little bit more, so I do my little part of helping make it interesting to visit at least once every. . . Okay, uh, let’s say month. Even if it’s just my one thread, and I don’t have much to say or show in terms of shtuff. Heh.

Glad to hear you’re seeing improvement in my stuff. Hopefully that stays a trend! And thank you regarding the anatomy — I’ve been told this semester that I’m “OCD” when it comes to anatomy and stuff, but. . . I dunno if that’s really a bad thing? I mean, I like anatomy. Maybe I’m weird. Or maybe that’s one of the default “art student” answers that I’ve recently discovered. Dunno! But I like improvement and I like anatomy soimadothatandisgonnabegoodhopefullywoo! And thanks on the owl comment! He’s one of the keepers from my schoolwork that I won’t be burning in the wood stove in a few weeks. He’s nice to look at. Gonna put him on my wall, be all like, “Is burd. Keepin’ you.” :D

Thanks again, and you keep up the good work as well! :D

And just so this isn’t simply a reply, here’s an update for why no new pictures when I said I’d try:

I’ve decided I’m going to hold off on taking photos/uploading stuff until the semester is complete (two weeks, then Winter Break). My stuff is a bit too large for a scanner, and lighting is a hassle for me, so it’s time that I need to spend on work rather than repeated photo taking. Same with running around, uploading it to various sites. Since I have essays to write, paintings to paint, illustrations to force into a fine art class and make everyone upset over because “oh noes commercial-looking art”, and tests to study for, my time is thin.

That said, my final series of drawings for my drawing course are. . . Well, I’m hoping they look pretty radical by the end. I like the thought process behind them, and the execution of the first one is going well. I hope I can keep hitting the mark on them. Watercolor is pretty awesome and I’m really enjoying it.

Flag Post

Watercolour is the devil. That is all.

But that’s just because I’ve tried it like once. I can’t wait to see what someone like you comes up with, being completely insane awesome most of the time.

Flag Post

why would deriaz leave us?

Flag Post

Hey, Deriaz I was wondering if you had any tips for digital painting. I plan to try it out over my christmas break so I was just curious if you have any tips that I should try or watch out for. Thanks :) Also wondering when your next batch of work is coming, I’m excited :D

Flag Post
Originally posted by Khnum666:

Watercolour is the devil. That is all.

But that’s just because I’ve tried it like once. I can’t wait to see what someone like you comes up with, being completely insane awesome most of the time.

Awww, I dunno about “devil”. It’s a little awkward to work with, I’m finding, but I do enjoy the results. Mind you, my results are pretty poor in comparison to the rest of the internet, but I’m able to quickly do color in a way I enjoy with watercolor. So that’s cool.

Don’t know if I’ll upload any of them — maybe one or two, but definitely not the whole series of works that involve watercolor. Some of them turned out fairly weak, and just aren’t interesting to me anymore. No point showing them.

why would deriaz leave us?

Only reasons I could see to leave are 1) the Arts section is closed, or 2) a moderator/administrator/a large portion of the community asks me to leave. Otherwise, I don’t mind posting here. Is cool place. I like. I wish I was more active, but school gets to be hectic, as well as the rest of Kongregate is. . . I dunno, I don’t play many flash games. So I don’t click my bookmark too much. Heh.

Originally posted by Zedzero2:

Hey, Deriaz I was wondering if you had any tips for digital painting. I plan to try it out over my christmas break so I was just curious if you have any tips that I should try or watch out for. Thanks :) Also wondering when your next batch of work is coming, I’m excited :D

I dunno if I’m the one to come to for digital painting tips, though I’m flattered! I’m pretty clueless on the medium as a whole, to be brutally honest. The only things that I know are things that I just took from normal drawing/coloring – work really loosely at first, don’t tunnel vision on one section of the drawing until you’re getting to fine details, flip the image upside-down/invert the image once in awhile to make sure it’s balanced (something I need to get in the habit of doing more often).

Other than that, set up plenty of layers if your program supports it. I sort of forgot to do that with the painting of Jeremy above, and all of that is on. . . I dunno, very few layers. Not enough! The result would probably be much better if I used opacity and more layers from the get-go. Beyond that, um. . . I don’t really know! I’m winging it, mostly. Just looking at images of people in the freelancing/entertainment industry, trying to amass a collection of styles and techniques that they use that I want to work towards. For me, looking at images and making a collection of stuff that I think looks awesome helps me more than tutorials or things like that.

I know that’s not terribly helpful, but I don’t really know what else I can say! I wish I could say a bunch, but again, still a student in all of the digital stuff. I’m sorry! :(

As for when I’m going to hope to upload again, I’m in finals crunch right now. A final exam tomorrow morning, a final critique of drawings on Tuesday, and a massive collection of oil paintings to be critiqued on Wednesday. Umm. . . Being optimistic? I want to say next weekend. Being honest with myself? I’d guess around Christmas. Let’s aim for somewhere in there, and see what happens.

Sorry for being terribly slow to respond to you guys! School and other issues have been keeping me fairly busy recently. Hopefully I will get fun stuff to upload soon. Sorry again!

EDIT (12/20): There may or may not be an update by Christmas. I’m currently deciding on a course of action in relation to this thread and my art in general. It’s not a bad thing, so don’t take this the wrong way — I’m still going to draw and try to improve! But an update, given what I have in mind, may not be appropriate. Stay tuned. You’ll hear from me around New Years as I figure this out.

Flag Post

“Woah hey Deriaz is alive— Wait, uh, Der. Some of your previous works in this thread aren’t working. There’s no art in them!”

Okay, let me do a quick summary for people who didn’t see on dA or FA. I wiped a LOT of stuff. 2013 is dedicated to improving myself. I’ve uploaded nothing from my previous semester, and will not be bringing any old stuff back. Some things I’ve kept in scraps on dA are there for personal reasons. Things left in my gallery on those sites are nice benchmarks for 2012.

I received one of the harshest critiques of my life at the end of 2012. I’m not upset by it — in fact, I’m glad I received it. It made me sit down and realize, “Holy crap, dude. Your stuff? Like. . . Are you even trying to improve? Because it’s not showing all the time. Step it up.” Ignoring the fact that some of my classmates received flying colors despite never doing a single drawing in a drawing class, I took what they said to heart. That my stuff was hit or miss, that it had no “drive”. That it wasn’t enough.

While NSCAD is more gallery-driven, I would love for my stuff to be used in advertisements, entertainment, or whatever in the future. And I’m never going to get there without a ton of hard work. NSCAD taught me what it takes to be a good artist, and gave me the basics. Now that I’m in my final stretch, it’s time for me to take those lessons and get my ass in gear for my OWN sake. I’m not going to have a classroom environment to be in for much longer, and as one prof put it, “No one else for the rest of your life will care what you do or how you’re improving, unless you show it.”

2013 is all about improvement. I’m doing a drawing a day (mostly stemmed from Reddit’s /r/SketchDaily to force myself to branch out and explore new topics), all focused in the digital realm, all with color. I feel if I can do this for all of 2013, even if what I show now is weak and bad, improvement HAS to come in some way.

So with that said. Here’s the first week, mostly exploration of brush interaction with opacity, spacing, etc.:

Theme: Rocks, cliffs.

Source: http://karljames.files.wordpress.com/2010/08/antelope_canyon_2.jpg

Theme: Totem
http://i.imgur.com/RygMH.png (This link breaks the formatting.)

Theme: Gestures (Sharing only the 10 minute one)
Link: http://i.imgur.com/6HeZB.png (Breasts with nipple, better safe than sorry. Click at your own leisure.)

Theme: Free Draw Friday

Theme: Norse Mythology

Critiques are welcome, harsh or otherwise. Hopefully 2013 has been treating you all well so far. I don’t know that I’ll update here every week, but you can expect a majority of my uploads will be practice and attempts at improvement such as these.

Next week I’m going to try and take a small segment of whatever I draw and take it to a higher level of detail as practice in rendering.

Flag Post

O.K. The knight very. VERY. good quality work… BUT the edge of the front of his mask doesn’t seem too right too me. ts a beautiful peice but it could use a bit of tuning, although it does strike me as something where you were testing a type of style. the darks are nice the light is all proper. proportion..? Yup.

The land scape not a thing wrong with that it seems as you achieved exactly what you were going for aaand I like it :)

The sea serpent… new desktop. haha. something that throws it off for me is the boat something about it doesnt flow with the picture It could’ve used some more fine details AND darker colors on the boat.

thats all I got I love all of your stuff its amazing keep going with this your learning rate is quite amazing too me :)

Flag Post

I could not tell you the amount of troubles I had with that boat. I had references and stuff, but something just was not clicking there. I sort of gave up on it and added a little bit of a water effect behind it — it looks out of place, but at least it looks like it somewhat belongs in that water.

The knight is wonky all over, actually! The back of his head doesn’t have enough depth, the front is all oddly shaped, etcetc. It was pretty much as you said, trying to figure out a bit more of what I’m doing in Photoshop. I think I like this rougher approach, but I need to scale it back and learn the basics a bit more before I can be like, “Ehhh, I’ma work on rendering and detail!” Can’t do that if I don’t have a base to go from.

Thank you!

May as well update while I’m here, though I know these forums are sort of dying. With an 18 credit courseload (15 is usually the max at NSCAD), I’m a bit swamped. So I’m just taking it day by day, getting comfortable with the digital format. Trying out smoother lines, differences in color brightness that work, trying to get a bit better at color matching, etc. Have assembled a portfolio on another site, and am preparing to start uploading stuff to a thread on ConceptArt at the end of the month as well. So that’s what’s going on with me.

TO AVOID BANDWIDTH ISSUES FOR SOME USERS, the less interesting days, in my opinion, will be linked to. This applies retroactively to the previous post. That way, you get to see what I feel were successful days, and then you can choose to click to see additional stuff that maybe I didn’t have much time to work on, or just didn’t enjoy the result.

Music for your added enjoyment: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-tNUur2YoU

Theme: Rust
http://i.imgur.com/iL2qs.png

Theme: Shepard
Regrettably did not have much time to work these days.
http://i.imgur.com/MTnX9.png
and

Theme: Perspective
http://i.imgur.com/Nou2a.png

Theme: Unusual Movement

Theme: Artist imitation
Artist chosen: Jouste of deviantART
http://i.imgur.com/m4rkf.png

Theme: Dots

Theme: Free Draw Friday
This one I’m very happy with. Have it as my lead image in my portfolio I’m assembling to send out here shortly to a company, as well as finally pinning down exactly how I want the dang character to look.

Enjoy.

Flag Post

awwwh man banjo kazooie is my favorite.

is the bumble bee guy your creation?

Tank is crazy awsome.

and what company are you planning too go with?

Flag Post

I’ve only played part of the first one and the third one. Sold the third one rather quickly, but always been tempted to go pick it up again if I can play through 1 and 2 first. I don’t hate the cars bit, it just felt. . . Un-needed. Definitely not as fun as the first game. Once I have more free time, definitely gotta give a push to finish the first game.

Yup! I’ve been doodling him for a while, but I’ve never really been able to “finish” him. He didn’t have clothes for a while, then I could figure out how his face worked. . . But I think I got him working now. I’m fairly happy with how he’s sitting, as a little pilot-esque guy. Figured he would be good to have on a portfolio as a complete character, as many people have said he’s a fun little character, he just needed to be finished.

The company isn’t a big name one. Just a local animation studio here in Halifax, a few streets down from my school, actually. 5 minute walk, if that. Not sure of it off the top of my head, now that I think about it — my roommate was telling me he could check around at the office, see if they’d be hiring. The name slips my mind at the moment. Will have to ask. That’s embarrassing. I have an email, though. Just assembling some stuff, redrawing some things, trying to flesh it out a bit more before I send out the resume and portfolio.