Forums The Arts

Deriaz's Armory (Cubone and Apple - 4/12) page 7

309 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by ozzy123:

Welcome lol :) And maybe not perfect, but really good hahah

Don’t let me dissuade your opinion. You’re welcome to use whatever words you want. ;D But thanks all the same!

Originally posted by UnitedRebellion:

I love/miss you Der. <3

I love and miss me too. I remember one time, I ran away from home, and I cried for days. But then when I went to the bus stop a few days later I saw, not my friends kicking in the front seat and sitting in the back seat, but me! Wagging my tail and looking hap— Wait, no, that was a dog. No. Nevermind. It’s not physically possible to miss myself, is it? I will continue to love me, though, because no one else greets me when I get home from school.

Originally posted by Laxaria:

New picture = me likey. :D

Always nice to see some more activity.

Activity is a good thing, I hope. I’m not sure how often this will keep happening, but if it makes people happy, I’ll try not to completely disappear for months on end. But at the moment, I guess I’m on a spree of things that I like, or practice I want feedback on. Heh.

Thanks. :D

Originally posted by HolyQuacamole:

Nice sketch, that new one.

Good to hear! Thanks. :) Hopefully, once I get these drivers working for my tablet, I can keep going at it to make it better. Or at least, more “finished” looking.

Flag Post

Oh snap. Hi again.

Decided for the summer, since things are going pretty slow, that I would do larger projects rather than smaller. So I decided to start something digital, and something that will eventually have color. I just wanted to share what the beginnings of it, both just so people can see what I’m kind of aiming for and for my own amusement of seeing how much, if any, this changes by the end. Azreth, the last image, was scrapped. Just sort of lost interest, I suppose.

I’m only about 45 minutes to one hour in, which I guess is a decent pace for someone not accustomed to digital work. There are a lot of wonky things, like the figures or just the way something is drawn on them or what they’re holding. Kind of taking it one figure at a day. Hoping by next week to have a lot more progress, maybe start on sketching out a background beyond what’s in my head. (I had something sketched out, but I was finding it too distracting when I woke up today, so I kind of wiped it out and just put some lines.)

Apologies if it’s not much to critique or talk about. I suppose this is more just to let you all know what I’m doing and what I’m planning, so I don’t run off for months on end again without any kind of clue as to why.

I’m shooting for some time in June to have this done, but I have no idea. Heh.

It’s, uh, League of Legends. Characters belong to RIOT Games.

Yeah, I know, fan art. Weeeeee, I’m so original~

Flag Post

Still love your work, as always. You only improve Deriaz, keep it up!

Flag Post
Originally posted by GraphicDesignC:

Still love your work, as always. You only improve Deriaz, keep it up!

Thanks! Hopefully it will keep getting better — finding myself in a rut recently, but I’ll get out eventually, I hope. Long as people like the doodles, though, I’m happy.

Yay, scrapping projects! Ignore the previous post I made! That file/image doesn’t exist anymore! I’m a responsible adult and can stick to my own goals and ideas~! Look at me go! “I’m on fire, and now I think I’m ready to bust a move~ Check it out: I’m rockin’ steady to the beat in my head. It goes ‘Oh, oh-oo-woah.’”

Yeah, I found a job. I can only work part-time by law, but money is money to me and it means less time sitting at the computer, so I can’t do what I wanted to do. I’m not talented enough or versed enough in digital work to be able to crank something that big out in a reasonable amount of time. So, between customers at the store I work at and when there is no cleaning or shelving or anything to be done, I’m doodling with a pencil on paper. I’ll still be exploring digital things, but probably small, personal projects until I know what I’m doing and can share something that isn’t “tiny”, in my eyes.

Ended up still drawing League of Legends stuff, though we’re now playing pen and paper D&D around the house (4th edition). I might doodle our little trio, or at least my little Kobold Rogue. I love him, and he’s only been in one encounter/play session so far. But yeah. League of Legends on the mind. Ninja Gaiden as well. . . That’d be a fun one to attempt. . .

Anyways, yeah. Here’s Jax, Grandmaster at Arms, my new “main”. Much as I love Blitzcrank, Jax just seems to work better for me in any composition I find myself in. (I even won a match going mid as him. Haha.) I played with a sexy blue pen I bought, and I think it turned out pretty well. May add color, marker or digital, but I might also just leave it like this. We’ll see.

Flag Post

Very, clean, precise lines. Nice use of thick and thin. You’d be good at comics, though if not, I hope the detailed tone and whatnot added to him and more are as good as it’s lines.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheWhiteAngel:

Very, clean, precise lines. Nice use of thick and thin. You’d be good at comics, though if not, I hope the detailed tone and whatnot added to him and more are as good as it’s lines.

Thanks! Comics would be pretty cool to get into, though I know that that field is really hard to break into, as well as pretty competitive. I’ve got a looooooong way before I can get there. And I agree, if I’m allowed to comment on my own stuff, heh. I really like how the lines came out here. I may have to use this little pen more, even though it’s blue. The results definitely feel a bit better than just pencil have in the past, even if marginally.

Flag Post
Thanks! Comics would be pretty cool to get into, though I know that that field is really hard to break into

Well, you could always do comics for fun on your sketchpad. I always do. :P

Flag Post

I really like the lines on that one, too. You really did a good job creating the illusion of depth and adding to the perspective by varying your line thickness. If that pen is working for you, it’d be super easy to convert it to black digitally if you don’t want to keep the blue color.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheWhiteAngel:
Thanks! Comics would be pretty cool to get into, though I know that that field is really hard to break into

Well, you could always do comics for fun on your sketchpad. I always do. :P

Ooooh, there’s an idea~ I might steal— Er, borrow that in the future. . .

Originally posted by rawismojo:

I really like the lines on that one, too. You really did a good job creating the illusion of depth and adding to the perspective by varying your line thickness. If that pen is working for you, it’d be super easy to convert it to black digitally if you don’t want to keep the blue color.

I might convert it, or just remove it, once I’m done coloring. Decided to go a digital route, since it’s easiest for me to doodle at work, and then color at home. Might get more stuff done that way, too. I do like the blue, but at the same time, I know it might clash with color. Actually, thinking while I type, draining most of the color to make it a really, really deep blue-black might be a good medium. Keeps the color, doesn’t make it a strong black. Hmm.

Flag Post

i’m the kind of guy
who laughs at a funeral
can’t undertand what i mean?
you soon will:

“Der-dragon” is dead. Killed him off a long time ago. And yet, when I think back, I like having a “furry” thing to represent me. I grinned at my roommate and the drawings she did of him, or the jokes we used with him as the punchline. But he didn’t represent me enough. So, screw him, and screw my friends. I’ll be a damn bird if I wanna.

Except not really me, it’s a drawing. Of a fictional character. I’m a human. I meant— I mean, you know what I meant. Right? I hope? I’m just gonna show the character now and let that one go.

“Rocrin”, or “Roc” for short (so creative~). Blue-and-yellow Macaw.

I realize the coloring is not great, and the anatomy/highlights/shadows are pretty wonky. My skill with digital work is very poor still, but this is the first thing I’m happy with showing you guys. So. Uhm. I’m going to show you guys now. And hopefully, down the road, I will continue to improve. I am happy with this result, however.

Team Warforged’s blasting off agaaaaaaaain~ *

Flag Post

(BNL woo!)
The coloring’s actually very nice, the shading would probably benefit from a bit more small detail attention, mainly with the feathers. I love all your art, keep it up!

Flag Post

Awesome :O It looks like your character has a zebra mask on too xD No offense though, it adds awesomeness points :D

Good job :)

Flag Post

I don’t get how people want a fursona that doesn’t have claws.

Joke, of course.
But, nice work! Looks great. xD

Flag Post

*jelly*

Flag Post
Originally posted by Oboe_Passion:

(BNL woo!)
The coloring’s actually very nice, the shading would probably benefit from a bit more small detail attention, mainly with the feathers. I love all your art, keep it up!

I’m like Kurasawa, I make mad films.

I’ll keep that in mind for the future. Had no real idea how to do to feathers for shading, so I sort of went with what usually feels like a bit of a cop-out. A professor told me “If you can’t make it look right, make it abstract enough to maybe look right.” So, that ended up being that. Haha. I’ll figure something out, I’m sure.

Originally posted by ozzy123:

Awesome :O It looks like your character has a zebra mask on too xD No offense though, it adds awesomeness points :D

Good job :)

I like the zebra mask. Makes me happy soul. I think I originally only had one line, leading down over the top of his eye. Glad I changed to this.

Joke, of course.

Claws are scary. :< Cats have drilled that fear into me. “Oh man, I’m totally gonna pick up and hold this cat oh god its wiggling trying to get out of my grasp oh my god where did those claws come from ahhhhhhhh i thought we were friends”. :<

Thank you. :D

jelly

Oh man, I enjoy sandwiches too. Have you ever tried jam, though? I find it spreads a bit easier, and usually tastes a bit better. Seedless, of course, too. Because seeds ruin a good sandwich.

Why jelly?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deriaz:

Joke, of course.

Claws are scary. :< Cats have drilled that fear into me. “Oh man, I’m totally gonna pick up and hold this cat oh god its wiggling trying to get out of my grasp oh my god where did those claws come from ahhhhhhhh”. :<

Thank you. :D

jelly

Oh man, I enjoy sandwiches too. Have you ever tried jam, though? I find it spreads a bit easier, and usually tastes a bit better. Seedless, of course, too. Because seeds ruin a good sandwich.

Why jelly?

I hope I did this right…
Aw, but, cats, so cuddly. :C And I like claws. Artificial ones for humans in awesome shapes? That would be awesome, right? xD

oh and, Jelly because “jealous”, “jelly”, you know. Meme.

Flag Post

They are totally cuddly, but our tiny cat goes from loving to be held to “OKAY DOWN NOW” in the blink of an eye. That won’t stop me from continually picking her up and putting her in boxes/bags, but there’s always that danger. . .

And no way. Jelly is for sandwiches. Don’t be absurd.

Flag Post

Alriiight. :B

Flag Post

While simple, I really actually dig your choice for background. When I make drawings/illustrations with one character as a primary focus, I always have a heck of a time finding a background that works. Using colors (or close variants) that are already present in the palette really help tie it together without taking any attention away from the character.

The character itself is pretty solid. I like the color choices and the anatomy looks close enough to be right. My one question/concern about it is the actual coloring technique. You’re almost employing a vector-y feel with a limited color palette and not much blending or in-depth texturing. There’s an extremely slight amount of line variation which keeps it from looking vector-esque (and I’m not advocating that you make it look vectored), but adding a little more line variation or shading might make it feel a little more ‘painted’ and add some more character/life to the illustration. Also (and this is a minor point), you deviated from the coloring style on the inside of the headphone on the left side (viewer’s left), and it’d tie together a bit better if it was in the same style as everything else.

Flag Post

But life is full of absurdities! D:

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

dont run with scissors kids. life lessons from deriaz. snipsnip.

Background comments: Yeah, I wasn’t sure what to do. I originally had spirals or something, but scrapped it. A prof. told me once that I shouldn’t leave a background blank because then it looks unfinished, but don’t do messy backgrounds because then you lose focus, or at least for figures you do. ‘s why I switched to that. I just wanted something to try and bring him forward, and draw attention to his eyes, thus the orange bar. If it helps, what we usually did in class was give ourselves literally 15 seconds to mess around in the background before we were done with a model. Usually this meant a few smudges of charcoal around the back of the head (like a halo from old religious paintings) or some insane streak across the page. Us using such a small amount of time gave us better results than dwelling on it. (Just passin’ along what I’ve learned in class, I suppose. No offense meant by it, if any can be taken.)

Coloring comments: Haha, yeah. I’ll admit it, and I’ll be the first to do so. I still have no clue what I’m doing with color in digital areas. I can’t seem to ink anything correctly, either. (Digitally, that is.) I tried to use color to do line AND, well, color. I’m happy with the result, but I do agree that there’s a lot more potential that I could get more character/life in it. I’ll see what I can do, if I do any coloring with the pokemon I’m doodling with for a “groupdex”, to get towards a more painted look. I’d like to delve into blending colors, actually, but the smudge tool evades me. I can’t seem to figure out how to make it work well. :/

Headphone color: ohshi— I didn’t even notice I left that there. Oh god. I was trying to make it textured, and left the computer. And came back, and didn’t finish. Oh god, that’s embarrassing. You’re the first to notice that, as well. This is awkward. Hahaha. Uhm. I don’t know if it’s a big enough problem to fix at the moment, especially to need to re-upload between 4 different sites. Note to self, of course, to be more conscious of where I’m working in a painting, though. . .

Thank you much for the critique. Very much appreciated. ;D

But life is full of absurdities! D:

I don’t believe you. That’s an absurd thought, that life is full of absurdities. You are crazy.

Flag Post

That said, I hope the fact that I think it’s really awesome came through in my comments. If you want any hints or tips on what I’ve found to work and not work with digital coloring and inking, just shoot me a PM sometime and I’ll let you know what I can, although I’m sure there’s a wealth of resources available at your school.

Flag Post

Oh yeah, it totally came through. I appreciate it. :D

I may have to PM you with specific stuff at some point. I feel like I’ve barely touched the surface of digital stuff, but I think, whatever I do next, I’m going to start from a different approach. So at the moment, I don’t need any tips, but I will definitely keep the offer in mind.

And you’d be surprised how. . . Limited, I guess, I feel at NSCAD. Don’t get me wrong, the school is amazing and has some pretty awesome professors. Like, one of my teachers was the backdrop artist for Titanic. That kind of calibur. But beyond the library (mostly history books and genre books anyways), the slide library (just pictures), and such. . . It’s a bit clique-y. It’s very hard to talk to other students, doubly so for me being as shy as I am. I’ve befriended a few profs, some on Facebook as well, that I can talk to at least. Without going into a bit of a ramble, I can summarize it by saying it’s a great school with a great history/reputation, but I’m not trying to be a “professional” artist, as one fellow student put it. Meaning half of NSCAD feels like it isn’t meant for me. But oh well, not a single f-bomb was dropped nor given that day. I’ll figure it out as I go, and ask when needed. I’m used to it. ;P

I’ll try to put something up this weekend, traditionally colored. Pokemon and Crayola and awesome anatomy that got lost in inking and now doesn’t look as good, awwwwww yeaaaaaah.

Flag Post

all the evil things i done
tear me apart, swallow me alive, and i
i only hurt somebody, well, when they deserve it, and i
i only hurt somebody, well, when i get nervous

For part of a “groupdex” on another site, I drew my new second favorite Pokemon (second only to Snorlax), Sawk/Dageki, #539. I have also discovered my newfound hatred for scanners and cameras after how clearly digital stuff comes out. Could that be the tipping point? Could the shitty quality of this drawing, the lack of the full range of colors that I used like the orange highlights, push me over the edge? Tune in next week or whenever Deriaz gets off his lazy ass and draws more and find out!

Anyway, I did the best with what I got to salvage SOME sort of quality. It didn’t go so well. But yeah. I’m kind of happy with this. I had some damn amazing pencil work when I did it, if I can say so myself without sounding braggish. And then I lost it and the anatomy when I inked the clothing. And felt like shit. And then the coloring went okay so everything went better than expected. Crayolas aren’t the best, I know, but I don’t have the cash for anything else right now. . .

I WANT TO BE
THE VERY BEST
LIKE ASH KETCHUM NEVER WAS
TO CATCH THEM IS MY REAL TEST
TO IGNORE PAST SEASON 1 IS MY CAUSE

Flag Post

rock
ro
bot
rock

I’m so original guys! I drew Blitzcrank! Again! And then forgot my scanner is absolute shit and it looks not as good now! Weeeeee, a rolling golem gathers no rust~

Yeah, I really have nothing to say. Had a good game as Blitzcrank. Decided to draw him. Since I had to reformat my entire machine, well, I don’t have Photoshop re-installed yet. Did the best with what I could. I know I’m bad at shading and posing and stuff, but it’s Blitzcrank, so I dun care as much for this one. Because, ROBOTS. (But you can critique it if you want. I’ll letcha~ <3)