Flag Post

here

Flag Post

oh wow thats amazing. this forum really is dead :/

almost done mine :I

Flag Post

Hello Alex pang.

MFW he compleetly ignored it :(”

C&C due-ly noted, I’ll put it to good use if I ever get back into pixeling as much. ;)

Also you have my permission to add the edit to your gallery, if it’s not against PixelJoints site rules.

Flag Post

say what this is jibberish to me

Flag Post

About two pages back AlexOlsenPang gave me C&C and used the edit as an example on a dedicated pixel art site called PixelJoint. He then *sadfaced and said that I completely ignored it and I was informed about this by a fellow forum goer by the alias of ‘Mr.Fahrenheit’.

So I searched far and wide to work out where that C&C was located, I’d abandoned Kong as a forum a little while ago so that’s why I suddenly vanished and ignored his C&C.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jafhar:

About two pages back AlexOlsenPang gave me C&C and used the edit as an example on a dedicated pixel art site called PixelJoint. He then *sadfaced and said that I completely ignored it and I was informed about this by a fellow forum goer by the alias of ‘Mr.Fahrenheit’.

So I searched far and wide to work out where that C&C was located, I’d abandoned Kong as a forum a little while ago so that’s why I suddenly vanished and ignored his C&C.

I wont use it because it’s mostly your art, but it does look much better now, so you should use this as way to improve your piece. You should sit down and try to improve your art because it’s already quite good!

Flag Post

Thanks, although I doubt I’ll get into pixel art as much as I was for a long time, I’m a patient person, but not pixel art patient. Might come with age, who knows?

As a quick question before I vanish again, what size do you believe that outlines become more a hindrance than a tool? A 25 tall human sprite?

Flag Post

jafhar, you sayd you were gona help me a while back with some pixel art and then you did not even replayed to my pm., im asuming you sayd you gona help cause you were seeking attention, anyhow please dont give lectures about “patient person” :)

Flag Post

I remember sayd’ing that and actually started it I think, but I kind of forgot about it along with the forum. Sorry about that.

And lecturing who what now?

Read what I wrote again…

Flag Post

i know about pixeljoint i use it often oh and i took 2 birds with one stone with the portrait i also used as an anthology titlepage with shitty pixel writing.

I am patient if you keep me isolated from distraction for long periods of time. I can work about 5 hours at a time by doing this, just blank your mind and draw. no music. no nothing. do not think about the time and how it will look in the end. If it looks right to you it is right (not always the same with proportions unless intentional) i think your excuse is lame

Flag Post

Ok I published my game now.
http://www.kongregate.com/games/alexolsenpang/death-count

Flag Post

gj alex, 5/5

Flag Post

Hi, Alex. School’s been tough for the recent few weeks, so I haven’t had much time to check in or draw anything, but I came in today and saw your game. The graphics and gameplay are pretty great, especially for a second game, but I have 3 major concerns that might keep it from getting the ratings it deserves.

1. The logo stays open far too long at the beginning. I suggest cutting it to the duration of the ArmorGames logo. It also looks like you resized the website’s normal logo. You’re an excellent artist, and I’m sure you can figure out a way to feature the logo in the opening cinematic that doesn’t fill the screen with bright orange. At the very minimum, I would suggest opening it in GIMP, GraphicsGale, etc, and painting it over with flat colors to make the resize less obvious. Furthermore, I think you should create your own opening, for your games, like the CAoA and other successful devs have. It would look professional, and create name recognition, which would get you more popularity, and thus, more add revenue. I also suggest painting the link in the title screen a different color to signify it is a link to their site and changing the text to “Newcave” rather than “New Cave”. I know that’s how it appears on the site, and it’s a very trivial thing that probably won’t even be noticed by anyone other than me, but it confused me, so I figured it would be worth mentioning, just in case someone else is as neurotic as I.

2. Get rid of Box2D. It is severely incompatible with the game’s style, and using stencyl’s defaults signify laziness to players. While coding “go down until you hit the floor” may be a bit tedious, it makes the game feel more professional, and adds to the retro feel. Some levels, like the one with the long slope, require the engine, but that level is fatally luck based, and honestly, you’d be better off with it gone. This change would also let you add some cool things, like a screen shake and a thud when a spiked block hits the floor.

3. The plot. One level you’re a test subject, the next, a Shift – esque fake death counter, and for the rest of the game it’s strictly out of character. For that matter, add an ending. I know “levels as endings” are popular in stencyl, because they’re easy to do, but they feel unprofessional, and don’t give any closure. Suffice to say, there’s a reason they’re unpopular outside of the stencyl community. Even so much as a “Congtatz, [playername]” would do wonders for the aesthetic of the game.

Overall, it’s a good game(5/5), but needs some polishing. Great for a second game(though IMO you’d benefit much more and learn much faster without stencyl’s innovation and creativity suppressing structure holding you back.), and you’re getting a lot better at this. Overall, I suggest replaying some of the greats and seeing what they did in various situations.

On an entirely unrelated note, excellent job on the portrait. Is that Kim Jong Un?

Flag Post

Some random stuff. Old and new ones, pardon me if i’ve posted them in here already.

Do you like LoL and DOTA? Are you into space ships? Try Vorp! today!

Flag Post

I’ll write an detailed reply tomorrow.

Flag Post

Flag Post

Kongreratulations, and Newgroundulations! I’l go check it out right away!

Edit: Well, uhh….that was kind of a boring game…

Do you like LoL and DOTA? Are you into space ships? Try Vorp! today!

Flag Post
Originally posted by lobstershow:

Kongreratulations, and Newgroundulations! I’l go check it out right away!

Edit: Well, uhh….that was kind of a boring game…

I liked it, it wasn’t entirely original, but I enjoyed it. It wasn’t overly difficult, the graphics are simple and easily-understandable. I’d also rather see 50 more platformers just like this than a lot of the other games shown in the NG screenshots, or for example, “Papa’s Hot Doggeria”. No criticism for the graphics, just to think a bit more about innovation and what hasn’t been done in the other platformers on here and NG.