Forums The Arts

Joker Studios' New Logo!

24 posts

Flag Post

I created a new Logo for Joker Studios, with the motto: “Music For Your Media.”
I was going for a “Simple yet Memorable” look.

Flag Post

I really, really think you’d better be off with a name that isn’t already used by at least 5 other groups. A simple google search can reveal other studios in other professions using “Joker Studios”, this’ll make it hard for you to ever take off as a well-known studio… considering people could say your name meaning that many different studios, it’s just way too confusing. And with that thought, the logo should actually suit what you’re trying to be – and to me, Joker Studios says something completely different to that logo’s conveyance.

But, what do I know…

Flag Post

Angle your logo at 30 degrees

Flag Post

Not to be critical, but here’s me being critical.

Make it work in black and white. (Not black and white and gray.)
If it’s pictographic, make sure that people understand what it’s a picture of. (Looks like an amputated linear-tracking stylus on a deformed 45-RPM single.)
One logo, one typeface.
Simple contour; when you squint at it, it should make a simple shape.
Needs to work when it’s as big as your pinky nail.

Sketch example. Not saying this is better, but is truly simpler and hits on more of the criteria I outline:

Flag Post

well i liked it and know what you were going for right when i saw it. just pick a more original name

Flag Post

Your music is freaking good but your art needs improvment, atlest change the font :P

Flag Post

Perhaps you’re right about the name… Any suggestions for a new name?

Flag Post

And… Does anyone know a chick who can do a robotic voice, and have her say “Joker Studios… Music For Your Media?” I need an official intro.

Flag Post

you could just modify your own voice. what kind of name were you looking for, like a hip new name or classic sounding.

Flag Post

Eh… Something as similar to “Joker Studios” as possible.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post

Why was my post removed? I was critiquing the logo…

If you’re not allowed to say that something needs work, then nothing will ever improve. Seriously, what have the art forums come to.

Flag Post

May sound stupid but it just kind of came to me honestly. Laughing Hyena Studios or if you are going for something along the lines of clowns or jokers how bout dual jokers studio or something along those lines. Give the name some kick. Working in the business of graphic design and psychology of GUIs and how people perceive a name and logo, you have to make it pop. Now this is going to go against what everyone else may say, it doesn’t necessarily have to be the most novel or original concept. But, you do need to make it unique either by the logo or by a slogan, or even how you present your studio. Music for the Media is way overdone but you could do something like Music For The Masses (yes I know this is already taken) but something along those lines. I mean take what I say with a grain of salt but otherwise, I do love the logo. It is eye catching. The only problem I see is that it is black and white, if you add one color to it such as red, it will stand out way more, Just some ideas

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

I’ve had the same problem, Moonlaugh. I’ve requested that moderated posts be provided with a reason. I haven’t yet received a satisfactory response.

Jscherer:
That’s a pretty good conclusion but I disagree on the general approach. JokerJ never asked for a critique or help of any kind. However, his logo was (in my professional opinion) unsatisfactory. My sketch, above, was more of an “illustrated response” than a recommendation.

The fact that the name of the business is being called into question is surprising. Naming is a profoundly important aspect of branding and should be developed through a careful and calculated process. Although I agree that it “needs to pop,” there are also a litany of other concerns:

The logo must…
… communicate the character of the product or service.
… reflect the attitude• of the company.
… be legible and identifiable at a variety of sizes and applications.
… be distinctive and memorable.

The name must…
… communicate the specific product or service.
… establish the active domain of the business.
… be pronounceable, (verbally), or translatable.
… be memorable and unique.

The logo and the name can be combined to create a wordmark or logotype. A word-logo, (without an illustration), is generally called a typemark. The nature of the business and your branding strategy will determine what solution is best for you.

•The attitude might address the following characteristics:
Nostalgic and historical, or futuristic and contemporary
Professional and serious, or casual and whimsical
Broad or narrow definition of service/product
Emotional and reflective, or clinical and scientific

Flag Post

I love all the attention I’m receiving. I went with “Music For Your Media” because I’m not limited to BGM. I’ve made music for Videos, Games, Custom Albums, blah blah blah… Different types of Media. And just so people stop spamming me with PM’s, the logo is a record player. As in, DJ’ing. Thanks for all the advice, guys.

Flag Post

Needs something that is more effective, and works at a smaller size. I mean, you aren’t seriously thinking of making the logo that large right?

Also, as others said, not sure about the name…

On your music, I like it, but one that many trance/techno artists do is they often use cliche progression patterns. Something a bit more unique is what you want. One of the reasons Waterflame is so well known is because every song is different, and the way he makes his music has a different take. Patterns repeated through the whole song really gets dull.

Flag Post

I enlarged the image so you guys could see it well. It’s actually smaller. And… I guess I’m unique in the way that I don’t JUST do Techno. I’ve done battle music, trumpets and all… piano melody’s… All kinds of things. (I’ve also been told that I’m really fast getting it to a Developer. Like… REALLY fast. You can ask Ramos_emanuel.)

Flag Post

The Jester

The Jester’s Tunes

Flag Post
Originally posted by JokerJ061398:

I enlarged the image so you guys could see it well. It’s actually smaller. And… I guess I’m unique in the way that I don’t JUST do Techno. I’ve done battle music, trumpets and all… piano melody’s… All kinds of things. (I’ve also been told that I’m really fast getting it to a Developer. Like… REALLY fast. You can ask Ramos_emanuel.)

Lol I know, Ramos is a friend of mine.

Flag Post

You know… The Jester’s Tunes doesn’t sound half bad. I’ll consider it, ozzy.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MoonlaughMaster:

If you’re not allowed to say that something needs work, then nothing will ever improve. Seriously, what have the art forums come to.

It might have been caught in the spam filter. Then again, a crazy mod might have gotten to it.

Flag Post

Who are you trying to reach with your brand, Joker?

Flag Post

Um… I’m not sure what you mean by that comment… I’d compose music for anything as long as it’s not Spiritualistic, Gory, has bad language… You get the idea. I’m also trying to stick to Flash Developers for now, too.

Flag Post

So you do orchestral compositions, live productions, and elevator music. Got it.

Oh, and music for Flash games.

And why do you need a logo? (These are pretty elementary questions for someone starting a business or launching a brand.)

Says exciting, urgent, suggests equalizer bars, digital content. 2-minute sketch.