Forums The Arts

[gallery] Oboe Passion's Sketchbook page 25

640 posts

Flag Post

Well, I was wanting advice on the shape of the waist. As it’s a corset it messes around with the proportions there a lot. And thank you.
-I think you’re right about the fabric choice. It probably would have been better to make the panels at the front more consistent. I didn’t even think about that!

Flag Post

Ohhh, the shape of the waist? I thought you meant the gap in the back. Derp. Complete mix-up/misunderstanding on my part. Shape of the waist is perfectly fine in my opinion. Works well with the bottom half of the dress. See no problem there at all.

Flag Post

Flag Post

holy cow!! you drew that…. ON LINE PAPER!!!

Hmm wow your short. ahaha I’m like 5"4 almost a midget :)

Flag Post

Drew? Nah. I wish. It’s just a flower I made. Fabric, beads, rice glue.. No drawing involved.
Ought to update with a much more elaborate piece tomorrow. And me being 5’4 doesn’t make me a midget.. :P

Flag Post

You should make dozens of those little flowers and make a composition out of them somehow. Like a tiny flower vase or something. I think that would look pretty awesome, because the one on it’s own is already looking pretty great. :D

Flag Post

I’m trying! They’re really hard to make.

I’m studying Maiko at the moment, and eventually I want to make a set of kanzashi (the flowers in her hair) but because I’m a little anal I’m making them the traditional way (or as close as I can) and it’s a pain in the butt.

Flag Post

Made another flower.

Flag Post

Those look great. Is intended to be a hairpiece?

Flag Post

Dang, you are good at art!

Flag Post
Originally posted by MrSalvador:

Those look great. Is intended to be a hairpiece?

Yup. They’re hairpins.

Now that I don’t think I’ll waste a heap of silk, I should have some handpainted “realistic” ones up soon.

Flag Post

Mock-ups!
The only thing really concerning me is that they seem a little tall (despite using one of the “web” preset sizes), but that can be fixed in development. Opinions?

Edit: I did fix the capitilasation on the “Calculate Shipping” button… but forgot to save a new .png afterwards.

Flag Post

Did you go on a trip to some East Asian country? The flower hairpins are makig me feel patriotic for some reason.

Flag Post

I wish I’d gone on a trip!
Nope, I’ve been studying Japanese (as a second language) for roughly… 5 1/2 years now. The hairpins happened because my detailed study (geisha) are very artistic and I wanted to try my hand at some of the art (ie. yuzen silk dyeing, the hairpins, the art of correctly wearing a kimono) after reading about it.

Flag Post

My only observation on your web mockups is that your contact info in the header could probably be strung out along one line (separated maybe by bullets or vertical lines). That would allow the whole header to become less tall.

I would consider reducing “Oboe Passion” and enlarging “Custom Art and Design by Sarah Gallitz” because, essentially, the website is more about the latter than the former. Oboe Passion sounds like it could be anything from a site for Oboe enthusiasts to a sex site involving woodwinds. (Sorry. It works for a pseudonym but not as well for a business name.)

A smaller amount of flourish on the right side of the header could help present more of your stuff on the forefront.

I would consider frames that allowed people to search by type, and contact information could be on its own page. That would really help with the header.

I’m not a big fan of the purple and cream. It seems a bit much… particularly when it’s your product that you want to look colorful and exciting. Gradients and intense color provide a lot of cheap glitz but don’t really add to the inherent value of the visit. However, I’m a big fan of the understated… so take the source into consideration.

Flag Post

The cream and purple, and flourish are all to tie the site into my business cards (off-the-shelf design by another company). While it wouldn’t be a big problem to get new cards, it makes a good starting point for me to get something semi-proffessional up. I actually have tried this project roughly 3-4 times in the past and this is the first passable design.
My products will “pop” more when all the photo’s are added, but I understand what you’re saying and I think I’ll fiddle with the buttons on the left. They’re the glitzyest part.
Hmm, fair point with the “business name”. But I’m not changing it. May make that text larger, though.
Why do you think the header should be narrower? What would that add from a design perspective?

ps. Thanks for all the feedback. This stuff is really helpful.

Flag Post

I think the header should be narrower, as in shorter. It adds value when people first arrive… telling them where they are and how to get in touch with you… but it ceases adding value after that point. (Unless they want to write or call you. I wouldn’t include your phone number… bury it somewhere. Few people will use it and so it just adds unnecessary clutter.)

You might consider tinting the frames around your gallery thumbnails then having them pop with full intensity on mouse-overs. That would help on two fronts… reduce the intensity of the background materials AND provide an extra level of user feedback.

Oh, and the URL in the header is unnecessary too.

THIRD EDIT:
Oh, and if you make your name a mailto link in the byline, you can ditch the email address as well. That simplifies the header a LOT!

Flag Post

Indeed. I started actually putting this into a website today and I can see a LOT of things that looked good in the photoshop document and don’t in the webpage… I’ll post an update when I have the next revision of my design done. I agree with all the things you pointed out after looking at it in a browser.

Flag Post

What I’ve been up to:
Drawings I used for my exam: (I would’ve liked to triple the time spent on each to make them better artistically. Oh well)

Ogi kanzashi (bira bira) for my cosplay this Friday (OHMIGOD I GET TO DRESS UP GUYS!):
Attempt1:

Attempt2:

Aaand a hand painted/dyed cushion:

Flag Post

Oooh~

The cushion is my favorite of the stuff you put in the previous post, I think. One concern, though, is did you spray it with anything to protect the paint a bit? I mean, I say this not knowing if there actually is such a thing, but I immediately became concerned that it might flake a bit from being thrown about, and that’d be a shame. Because that’s really nice and I wish I had one.

You better put pictures of the costume up, as well. Or I will be very slightly upset. I might frown a bit.

Flag Post

Well I use dye instead of paint because I don’t like to have a “feel” on the silk.
This means that it’s a pain in the ass to set and work with but it wont “rub off”, though it might fade eventually, I guess.

Flag Post

The under kimono (red parts) and the shoes were made by me.

Flag Post

do you have any traditional japanese style pottery those always catch my eye.

Flag Post

Edit: No I don’t work in pottery/ceramics at all. My mother did though.

Alrighty… New painting :)

Tutorial by Wayne Clements

Flag Post

yours seems too be more impressionistic where as is is a bit more defined. I like it better like that. one thing that turns me off is that green in the middle. its a little too extreme for me, I don’t really now if that defies the laws of atmospheric pressure change (oops I meant atmospheric discolouration) perspective looks amazing. and so does color (why doesn’t it accept the british version of colour(ADD)) choice. (well, other then the green blotch) could use improvement (what doesn’t). I couldn’t even imagine making this. Very talented.

[edit] ahhh I see. OK never mind that is the discolouration. But if you ever try it again I would tone it down a little notch. its much too green throw yellow or blue in there I’m not too sure (for I am terrible at colour scheme). OK enough rambling.