Forums The Arts

Cleaning/Organizing the Art Forum

86 posts

Flag Post

Time to talk about it.

There have been complaints compounding over time, so now is your chance to discuss as a group. Don’t like the requests threads getting left? Hard to find real art in a forum for art? Got some threads you think should be closed or removed? Whatever it is, say it.

Also consider whether or not you want to utilize the [tag] feature for the greasemonkey script" that was made for the Off Topic forums (thread about it). I can add in tags for [group], [request], [portfolio] etc etc if the forum would actually use them. So far, they’ve been great for OT.

I’m always available for a whisper, but this is your chance to be heard even more and as a group; if you so wish.

Flag Post

I think most of the threads that are spam here are just failed attempts. Also, Group and Request might go together, as most groups have requests as well. Portfolio would be showing off art, yes?

Flag Post

By group I mean “DudeX’s Graphics team” and by requests I mean “I need an avatar of a car”.

Portfolio would be showing off art, yes?

Yes. I’ve seen complaints about actually finding art in here amongst the other stuff. Though I’d take a simpler word if something else fits.

Flag Post

I see you added a reporting posts thread. That will help a lot. My problem, mostly, is that I’ve seen threads that say that they do requests, but when someone requests, the request is buried up and no one ever does it. I’ve tried to counter that in my thread, but there must be some way to make requests more visible overall. I like the idea of a [request] tag.

EDIT: How do you only have 500 posts? Didn’t you have, like, over 3000 at one point? Just wondering.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

Also consider whether or not you want to utilize the [tag] feature for the greasemonkey script" that was made for the Off Topic forums (thread about it). I can add in tags for [group], [request], [portfolio] etc etc if the forum would actually use them. So far, they’ve been great for OT.

I would like this. If I may make a few suggestions for tags:

[Photography]
[Writing]
[Contest]

Flag Post

I like those ideas aswell. Also, I don’t know the others, but I would like to have a “Competitions and Request threads Sign Ups” sticky, like this one. It is annoying to see millions of threads of the same competition.

Anyway, I don’t know if that’s primordial. I guess it’s not as important as the other ideas, at the moment.

That’s just my opinion, though. Thank you arcaneCoder, I think the art forums really need that.

Flag Post

I had a long reply typed out, I clicked Submit, and found out my router died and I lost what I typed. And now I can’t remember everything I said. Yay.

The only tag I can think of is a [Gallery] tag. You have Group and Request, which almost seem to go hand in hand. One is a user wanting one, via his own thread. One is a group that offers avatars or “graphics”. Portfolio, to me, means “This is my stuff; feel free to skim it, but I’m open to, and encourage, critiques and criticism.” Gallery would mean, “This is my stuff; feel free to skim it and comment. I’m not looking for analysis, but just want to share.”

I don’t know that I’d want much more than 4 or 5 tags at most. Once you start adding more, it becomes too cluttered, and doesn’t seem to help the problem at all. The 3 (or 4, if you like mine) mentioned here seem good enough to me.

I do like how Off Topic works now. Makes it much easier to skim when there aren’t Role Plays and Games scattered in the posts. I think if we used the same section here, I would place tagged groups at the top, and then make a subsection of “Miscellaneous” for anything that might not have a tag that will be near the bottom. I think absolute top would be Groups, then Portfolios, then Galleries (If you use that idea), then Requests, then Miscellaneous.

-Deriaz

EDIT: Argh. Ninja’d. Oh well—

Originally posted by SaintAjora:

I would like this. If I may make a few suggestions for tags:

[Photography]
[Writing]
[Contest]

I think Photography might fall under Portfolio — might be easier just to say that the thread is photography instead of needing its own group. There aren’t too many of those types of threads (Which is sad, cause I like photography. Need to visit your thread more often.) (And that reminds me that I completely forgot to take pictures of Nova Scotia. I knew I was forgetting something!)

Writing seems to be a group thing, at least around here. Otherwise, I know Off Topic did it for awhile. Not sure if it’d need its own group.

Contest was something I didn’t consider, but it looks like lightsun had a similar thought. Either by tag or by sign up sticky, I think both systems would work.

Flag Post

I actually find today’s forum a bit neater than a few months ago. D:

How about official kongregate art groups? I think it could help keep art groups to a minimum.

Flag Post

This is all great feedback, thanks. I’m swamped at the moment but I have read it and will respond in more detail after I let it sink in. Keep it coming in the meantime.

I like those ideas aswell. Also, I don’t know the others, but I would like to have a “Competitions and Request threads Sign Ups” sticky, like this one. It is annoying to see millions of threads of the same competition.

That thread is already too much for me. I’ve tried to offload it to two different mods as assistants but it hasn’t helped much so far. If you can handle it, I will sticky it and see how it goes.

Flag Post

Tags would be marvelous. Even though I don’t frequent the Art Forum, I still come by time to time to look at all the great artists/gamers Kong has.

And while I’m here, I think we should have a separate Forum for literature. I hate seeing scattered, unappreciated bits of writing in Off-Topic, and I think a Literature Forum would fix that.

Flag Post

yes i hate seeing to much of say pokemon threads but we should keep a couple just people keep making them but they are a complete failure when they fail they try to get it back with spam just talking instead of keeping on subject but we should have only a few pokemon thread

Flag Post
Originally Posted By arcaneCoder:

This is all great feedback, thanks. I’m swamped at the moment but I have read it and will respond in more detail after I let it sink in. Keep it coming in the meantime.

That thread is already too much for me. I’ve tried to offload it to two different mods as assistants but it hasn’t helped much so far. If you can handle it, I will sticky it and see how it goes.

I would love to do it! I am usally on Every day!

Flag Post

as someone from OT, i confirm they rocked there.

Flag Post
Originally posted by TuckerFast:

Same here.

I think we need a signup widget like the reporting thing. It would make it a lot easier to submit, and to keep track of.

Flag Post

I’m going to agree with the general opinion and say the art forum needs a tag system like OT has. I have been looking over the art forum when I can. (Not as much as I should, sorry aC! School and work have just taken up a bigger part of my time lately.) I don’t think behavior wise the forum is bad. It just gets unorganized with all the request threads, most of which die withing a week or so.

I really think a tag system would allow users to navigate through the forum much easier; solving most of this forum’s problems. The only other problem I’ve noticed is: People do tend to get into “flame wars” more here then on most other forums. I think if we made the forum muting script more well known here we could also solve that problem a good bit as well!

Flag Post

I like the idea of having a Universal Request Group. Having just one, instead of 3-4 different ones. With one Art Group, it would make everyone much neater. But then there’s the question of who is going to run it?

I also think there should be one Pixel Art Group, one Pokémon Thread and so on.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ncio:

I like the idea of having a Universal Request Group. Having just one, instead of 3-4 different ones. With one Art Group, it would make everyone much neater. But then there’s the question of who is going to run it?

I also think there should be one Pixel Art Group, one Pokémon Thread and so on.

onep okemon there area few subjects on pokemon though like competitions my one display threads request threads but we should have 1 or 2 of each

Flag Post

heck id like to just see some REAL art on here for once..

im sorry but im a freelance artist and i have to draw & paint etc for a living, and anime fan art is just a total buzz kill as far as insparation goes…

oh well, i guess thats part of the forums being overrun by kids anway.

but in anycase, itd be much simpler if there were sub forums(an entire sub forum of art for things like requests/comissions, another for ‘check out what im doing’ stuff, etc), but i dont believe on the forum platform Kong is running youd be able to without it still being somewhat cluttered. they really need to switch to like UBB or something so it simplifies the WHOLE thing up. thatll lead to an easier art section, as well as others.

Flag Post

Tags would be lovely. I prefer a literature forum instead of a tag though but it’s not a tad important.

Originally posted by TuckerFast:

Unless my spidey-sense is wrong, I thought arcaneCoder wanted moderators.

Jindo, Laxaria (I assume them because they, too, want to reform the art forums), and I will be happy to be your assistants but, imo, it could be a tough job considering the Requests aspect. Competitions should be ok but on Kongreholidays like Greg Month, requests will be abundant like grass. It may be even too tough for 3 voluntary moderators. However, like any experiment goes,

“Let’s blow something up!” – Adam Savage

Flag Post

I think Photography might fall under Portfolio — might be easier just to say that the thread is photography instead of needing its own group.

Since there are so few it might not matter either way, I just figure it is different enough from most of the other art to warrant its own tag.

I prefer a literature forum instead of a tag though but it’s not a tad important.

I think that is very important, but maybe it is just me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arcaneCoder:

I’d be pleased to help, aswell.

Also, I agree with Deriaz, I think that 3, or 4 tags would be ok.

The ones I think that are the most important ones are:

[Gallery/Portfolio] (Maybe?)

[Request]

[Contest]

[Group]

Those are the ones I consider important.

Flag Post

Not to be arrogant but in my personal opinion, I think that we should have one single request group. And my answer to who runs it would be aldrin or Hokage as the overall organisers as they have proved to work well. Hokage made Reaper Graphix which ended up with about 300 pages overall. Aldrin also works well under pressure shown by his large request thread.

My suggestions for who would be in the group would be those who have shown that they know how a request thread works. Thus, people who have successful threads.

Here would be my list:
Bobuchan
Moomanmatt
Magikman
InwardNose
Ncio
Laxaria

Obviously those people are chosen on the basis of organisation. I am sure that Bobuchan is extremely good in the area of avatars. I built my whole foundations in the art forums by my avatar request group last year. The same goes for Ncio. I am also good at banners to a far extent. InwardNose and Magikman, I am not sure in terms of ability but I am certain that Laxaria is very skilled. (Again I am not sure about avatars) Aldrin is blatantly good at avatars and banners but I haven’t seen much of Hokage’s work.

I’m sure this post wil probably spark quite some controversy so here we go!

Flag Post
Originally posted by moomanmatt:

Not to be arrogant but in my personal opinion, I think that we should have one single request group. And my answer to who runs it would be aldrin or Hokage as the overall organisers as they have proved to work well. Hokage made Reaper Graphix which ended up with about 300 pages overall. Aldrin also works well under pressure shown by his large request thread.

My suggestions for who would be in the group would be those who have shown that they know how a request thread works. Thus, people who have successful threads.

May I remind you that most of those pages weren’t quality art.

Flag Post

Can I remind you that most of those pages were, or diversely were Artistic discussion. I would also like to remind you thta the furthest your creativeness goes is to spend hours colouring tiny squares.

Flag Post
Originally posted by moomanmatt:

Can I remind you that most of those pages were, or diversely were Artistic discussion. I would also like to remind you thta the furthest your creativeness goes is to spend hours colouring tiny squares.

pixel art?