Forums The Arts

[competition] SOTW#15 - Entries/Discussion (locked)

98 posts

Flag Post

~SOTW #15 Entry & Discussion Thread!~

Rules to Discussion:
1. Please keep discussion on-topic to either people’s entries or the theme itself.
2. Follow all forum rules and behavior guidelines.
3. Be kind to others. Do not bash on people if you don’t like their entries.

Official Rules

The Rules for SOTW

The Schedule

To see which SOTW’s are coming up next

Hall of Fame

You wanna’ be the best? Well you better bring your skills or you’ll go home cryin’.

Theme Submissions

Want a specific theme to be the next SOTW? Suggest it here!

Size _ Max 500Wx300H

Stock/Render _ Any

Style/Theme _ Freestyle

Color _ Any

Font _ Any

Deadline _ Saturday, May 2nd

Voting will begin on May 3rd, 2009
Entries for SOTW #16 will begin on this day as well.

Flag Post

Freestyle? Cool!

Flag Post

Freestyle as in anything?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Marh:

Freestyle as in anything?

Yep

Flag Post

Great… I was waiting for this, yet nothing comes to mind :S

Flag Post

this is mine :D, no its not :( i dont think it would work.. i hate it when its freestyle, neva know what to do.. ill use this instead! btw anyfree style things you do ill end up doing Something to do with gaming.

Flag Post

Can it be a vertical one or only on vertical weeks

Flag Post
Originally posted by piratemonkey:

Can it be a vertical one or only on vertical weeks

It can.

Freestyle means anything.

Flag Post

technically, u can but its gotta be at max 300 height.

Flag Post

Photobucket

Flag Post

Should I take out the sparks brushes? :S Please CC…
And snice – could you give me the link to the brushes you used? (The random line/circle thing?) Thanks :)
jammio, you have to make a new one, you can’t use one you made a while ago…
Let’s see summoar ENTRIES! XD

Flag Post

Epic, time to grab my brushes and get to work (:

Flag Post

EDIT: My entry btw

Not my best, I’m just not so great at figuring out the tools yet, and Fractals I have issues with, I wanted to add some but am not great at it at all, I also wanted to add a red mask but wasn’t successful at that either, anyways, I tried

Flag Post

You might wanna make the squigly line less squigly, and make the background look like a piece of parchment on fire! >:D

Flag Post

Good idea, but like I said, still not too familiar, I wouldn’t know how to do that…

Flag Post

Damn it yuyuter i was going to do the Mario mushroom. And hokage, If you want to do vertical can you make the restrictions 300Wx500H?

Flag Post

Damn it Kool_A1d I was going to do a tank one.
I still did but only cuz I couldn’t think of anything else to do.

they are both a completely different style though

Flag Post

@Kool_A1D: The text doesn’t fit. I believe you’re trying to do a similar style to 80s newspapers so get some serifs (slab for the title and normal for the body).

Arial/Helvetica isn’t that widely used even in newspapers today because serif texts are easier to read and looks professional.

Flag Post
Originally posted by JudeMaverick:

@Kool_A1D: The text doesn’t fit. I believe you’re trying to do a similar style to 80s newspapers so get some serifs (slab for the title and normal for the body).

Arial/Helvetica isn’t that widely used even in newspapers today because serif texts are easier to read and looks professional.

I agree. The newspaper is a good idea but it wasn’t done partially well. Work on the fonts you use and the layout. The title could look better too.

Flag Post

i know, that background was killing me, I spent hours on it but eventually gave up and you right I was trying to do 80’s style but still I fail, I will work on it later.

Flag Post

Also, if you’re going to include text in art, make sure it’s proof-read. There should be no apostrophe in “death’s.”

I also don’t see the rhyme or reason for the odd formatting of the text? Why the bizarre line indentations?

Flag Post

As this is discussion as well, which is best???

Flag Post

i would have ot say the first one.. The second ones background doesnt seem to go with the tank.

Flag Post

I was going for an older style of newspaper that fit my pic a little better, well i’m home now so i’m goin to start on it

Flag Post