Forums The Arts

[competition] SOTW#17 - Entries/Discussion (locked)

73 posts

Flag Post

~SOTW #17 Entry & Discussion Thread!~

Rules to Discussion:
1. Please keep discussion on-topic to either people’s entries or the theme itself.
2. Follow all forum rules and behavior guidelines.
3. Be kind to others. Do not bash on people if you don’t like their entries.

Official Rules

The Rules for SOTW

The Schedule

To see which SOTW’s are coming up next

Hall of Fame

You wanna’ be the best? Well you better bring your skills or you’ll go home cryin’.

Theme Submissions

Want a specific theme to be the next SOTW? Suggest it here!

Size _ Max 500Wx250H

Stock/Render _ http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/ff309/hokage4354/pureheartcopie.png
Original link: http://planetrenders.net/renders/displayimage.php?pos=-28908

Style/Theme _ Any, but must contain the above render.

Color _ Any

Font _ Any

Deadline _ Saturday, May 16th

Voting will begin on May 17th, 2009
Entries for SOTW #18 will begin on this day as well.

Flag Post

This SOTW is really stupid, you give us a specific stock to work with? That isn’t very fun. No offense.

Flag Post

i’ve seen plenty of sotws like this, it is fun

Flag Post

I like it too. This is a pretty tough one to start out on, but it’s solid. I think 4 weeks in a row would grow tiresome, but this will be a really good show to see what everyone can do comparitively when you take out certain variables.

Flag Post

NOT MY ENTRY (yet)

Tips/Help please.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DraGonZ13:

i’ve seen plenty of sotws like this, it is fun

Well, I will take your word for it, but like raw said, I mean 4 weeks? That’s a little ridiculous, at least find us a better stock next time this one is fine but it’s tough to do a lot with it. not trying to be rude but I think most people would agree with me and raw, 4 weeks is a little overboard, I think 2 is good, just an idea.

Flag Post

4 weeks was the initial idea, but Hokage said it wouldn’t be 4 weeks in a row.

Flag Post

ohh okay, that makes me feel better then, but not 4 weeks in a row, please help on my picture I need to make changes but idk what else to add, I have a serious artists block =(

Flag Post

The main aim when I suggested this was to force all of you guys to be creative with limited tools. Sure, many of you are awesome at using all sorts of effects in extremely creative manners, but almost always your effects are created to suit the render, and not the other way round.

This time round, your render must suit the effects. You must make your own flow, your own depth, your own colour choice and your own composition. There are no tutorials for this specific render, no tips, no hints, limited examples.

A true test of a person’s sig making skills is not making a sig out of his or her own choice of render or stock, but making a good sig from any resource.

Speaking of which, it would be very fun to have typography as next week’s theme! Do it do it!

Good luck guys!

This is one I made ages ago:

Flag Post

I was going to suggest typography myself… Also… keep your eyes out on the board for the next few days, Lax.

Flag Post

….dude….. help? Please? Links to tutorials I could use on my graphic, anything would be great…. here’s the pic again so you don’t have to scroll up.

Originally posted by Kool_A1d:

NOT MY ENTRY (yet)

Tips/Help please.

Flag Post

Get an eraser, rub out the black that goes over the render. It would look so much better.

Flag Post

Other than that it’s fine?….really?

Flag Post

You could try to blend the dark and light bits together so it slowly gets darker from left to right instead of a line going down the middle. You’d have to do it right but it shouldn’t be too hard.

Flag Post

Not really, I will do both of those things and I will post them, thanks.

Flag Post

Without black

Black fading

Original

Flag Post

or this
on second one I will try get his wing back as I accidentally deleted it. I’ll do it after school as I have to do my hair than I will be leaving.

@Kool_A1d I like the second one except for the blob of black near his nose. Make it more transparent (or whatever it is so you can’t see it as much) and try do something similar with the background black as well.

Flag Post

@ pirate, bottom is cool, it pops out, very nice, nic elighting, top slightly darker, but the top is bugging me, no smudge effects on the bar across, I’m going to have to go with #2, it’s more clean and flows well.

Flag Post

Call me stupid but how could I improve it?
ninjEDIT: Did anybody notice the cut on his face?

Flag Post

Anyone have any good tips for blending in C4Ds? I cant get the hang of it. >.<

Flag Post

What C4D’s did you use in yours? The background? I think I might have the wrong idea of what a C4D actually is. Are they just abstract 3-d images, usually made in Cinema 4D?

Flag Post

Yes Rawis.
Craig, put them on a layer mode called screen. Screen gets rid of all the black.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Kool_A1d:

@ pirate, bottom is cool, it pops out, very nice, nic elighting, top slightly darker, but the top is bugging me, no smudge effects on the bar across, I’m going to have to go with #2, it’s more clean and flows well.

I am pretty sure you are banned from sotw for a certain time.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

I was going to suggest typography myself… Also… keep your eyes out on the board for the next few days, Lax.

Yea, Typo sigs are extremely complicated and difficult to do well. Heck, I might enter myself a Typo sig. :P

You guys might want to try using a layer mask, btw.

Flag Post

Do you have a good resource for examples of typo sigs? I’m pretty well-versed in typography in general, but like I’ve said before, I’m pretty new to sigs in general, so I haven’t encountered any typo sigs.