Forums The Arts

[Competition] Typographic Design

61 posts

Flag Post

Welcome to the (the the best of my knowledge) first ever typographic design competition on the art forums!

What is this?

While there are various outlets for all kinds of art on this forum, there have been pretty much none for the display and encouragement of typographic art. So I’m kicking that off with a contest!

You can look at a pretty decent overview of typography in general over at Wikipedia
Also, this is a pretty decent gallery of pretty good typographic art, and should hopefully help inspire.

Overview

The contest will run like most any other contest. It will officially be open for entries starting today (5/12/2009) and entries will run for a little over a week until Friday 5/22/2009. Judging will then begin immediately on Saturday 5/23/2009 and run one week until Saturday 5/30/2009. This thread will be used for entries and discussion, then I will create a separate thread for voting when the time comes.

The Rules

Please note: the rules are fairly strict for a reason. This is to force you to really explore the medium. It’d be easy enough to stick to what you’re used to and just paste a line from a video game and slap a render over it and call it good. You guys will really be surprised how varied the results will be with these strict rules.

Each entry will adhere to the following rules:

Image Size: There is no restriction on image size, just don’t make it larger than the viewing area in the forums for ease of viewing. If it’s too big, you’ll be asked to simply resize it down a little before the voting.

Text: Each entry will use the following text, which is the famous last line from The Great Gatsby:

“So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past.”

It must contain all of that text, but no more. The other stipulation is that your entry must be “easily” legible upon first reading. I shouldn’t have to spend over a minute staring at it to try to figure out what it’s trying to say. There is a lot of breathing room in this, but you just can’t use those letters and jumble them up into an illegible sketch of the master chief. That said, you can rearrange the text however you like, as long as the quote is still legible. Also, the text must be the subject matter in your piece: you can’t add renders/graphics/etc.

Type: You are limited to four unique fonts. This is BY FAR the most lenient rule I have. This really opens up the possibilities for you guys, but I’d really try to stress that this, by no means, means that you have to use four different fonts. This design could easily be done very handsomely with one font. You may not edit the fonts in any way (this means you can’t use a layer mask to add some grunge-scratches or whatnot to your characters) and may not use homemade fonts. With each entry you should contain a list of all fonts used. You may use any fonts that you can find, but they must be recognizable Roman alphabet characters. No Hello Kitty wing-ding fonts.

Color: You are limited to three unique colors. One flat color for the background, and up to two flat colors for the font. The color within any one character (letter, punctuation, etc) must be solid. Gradients may not be used, and neither may effects such as textures, strokes, glows, etc.

Those are all the ground rules. It should hopefully straight-forward at this point. Again, the rules might seem very restricting, but I know you guys will be able to produce some really visually-interesting pieces.

Good luck to all!

Flag Post

Um…. not really. The focus of that piece is really still on the image. There may be things like some vector graphics or whatnot in addition to the text, but the point of typographic art is that it focuses on the actual text as art.

Look at the page I linked to for examples.

Flag Post

okay i know the shark one of these is typo but what about the concept one imo its a bit iffy

Flag Post

The shark one looks alright, but I’d definitely stress that there’s a difference between typographic art and using text in a logo.

Tonight I’ll through together an example of what I’m talking about.

Flag Post

I will enter some stuff I have done before.

Flag Post

Think of it as calligraphy – the words should be the focus.

Flag Post

would a Wanted Poster suffice then?

Flag Post

Well… if you read the rules for the contest you’d see that I provided text for you to use.

Flag Post

Something like this, but a little jazzier?
Photobucket

Flag Post

That’s a great start. I’d like to see people actually participate in the contest with the given text and rules, but that’s a decent example of what we’re kind of going for. I didn’t expect people to actually start making entries for a few days, though.

Flag Post

I will enter when I get home from school :D

Flag Post

you possible stole next week sotw idea >:O!?

Flag Post

I was planning this competition before Lax mentioned type art in the sotw thread. Also, I don’t know how hokage feels about it, but it might be cool for both of the competitions to go on at the same time. It’s his call on the sotw, but if both competitions ran at the same time we could really help inspire some more creativity about thinking with type. Also, in screwing with these ideas you guys should learn how to incorporate type into your sigs and designs much better than you currently are.

Flag Post

How about we let up on some of the rules? I wanted to add a design to the lettering, or even a nicer background. I did another one, where I… well, I don’t want to ruin it, but it broke the rules. But I like it better.

And I just went with one font, maybe I’ll do another and play around more within the rules.

Flag Post

After consideration I’ve expanded the rules a little bit. The background can either be one flat color, or the gradient of two colors. So at most you’d have four unique colors, plus the colors created within the gradient. The text must still be flat colors. Also, this does not mean that you can have a flat background and three colors within your type.

Flag Post

So why can’t we do any alteration to the text? Isn’t that a major part of typography? If we can’t change the font, it’s almost entirely sizing the font and placing it. Is that what you were thinking of for the contest?

Flag Post

That’s pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Really, I’m placing so many limits on there to force people. If I say you can use brushes to alter text, then the line that defines what they’re actually doing becomes so grey.

You can do an incredible amount with using fonts and placing them. Search for good fonts. Instead of using brushes, rely on solid fonts as your main creative tool. You could arrange the words into a picture (as long as the quote is easily read), or really do any number of things with it.

Also, I never said anything about contorting text. You can rotate, stretch, thin.. anything you want really. As long as you don’t actually edit the letters, by like brushes or whatnot.

Flag Post

No… there are plenty of things you can do in this competition given the rules rawismojo made, I was mainly complaining due to the corner I worked myself into in my piece with the monotone background.

Flag Post

Just wanted to show this off. I like it better.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

That’s pretty much exactly what I was thinking. Really, I’m placing so many limits on there to force people. If I say you can use brushes to alter text, then the line that defines what they’re actually doing becomes so grey.

You can do an incredible amount with using fonts and placing them. Search for good fonts. Instead of using brushes, rely on solid fonts as your main creative tool. You could arrange the words into a picture (as long as the quote is easily read), or really do any number of things with it.

Also, I never said anything about contorting text. You can rotate, stretch, thin.. anything you want really. As long as you don’t actually edit the letters, by like brushes or whatnot.

Would that include gradient fills, and things like bevels or is it fine as long as it isn’t really affecting the actual font?

Flag Post

can i apply a transformation, or would that fall under modifying the font?
(like, rotation, shear or star-wars intro sort of thing)

Flag Post

The background can consist of either:
A.) 1 (one) flat color

or

B.) A gradient fill consisting of 2 (two) unique colors.

This is the new rule I just added. I just want to be sure it’s clear.

As I said in my above post, you can edit the text with manipulation tools, but you can’t edit the actual “shape.”

This is a hard concept to really explain. You can skew the text, make it larger, angle it differently, for example, but you cannot use your eraser to edge out some rough spots that aren’t there in the font or use a brush of the same color to add some splatter marks around the font.

I hope these are clear. Just remember that in the end you have to be able to read the quote without too much strain.

Flag Post

So are we allowed to create our own font to fit our needs?

Flag Post
You may not edit the fonts in any way (this means you can’t use a layer mask to add some grunge-scratches or whatnot to your characters) and may not use homemade fonts.

Flag Post

Are we allowed to use a font we uploaded a while ago? Like to dafont.com?

And sigh, I liked the checker design.

Edit: What if we make one, submit it, it gets in, and we use it?