Forums The Arts

[competition] SOTW#17 - Voting (locked)

26 posts

Flag Post

Voting will be as follows:
(No voting for yourself)
1st - Reason 2nd - Reason 3rd - Reason
1st choice will get 3pts, 2nd choice will get 2pts, and 3rd choice will get 1pt. Points will be
added up and whoever gets the most points will win.
If you do not vote this way, your vote will NOT count.

hokage4354

Craig12390

piratemonkey

Ilikeeggs

Tapersteve

moomanmatt

krick19

ozzy123

yuyuter

GnomeLogic

rawismojo

lightsun

techyworm

Flag Post

1st-lightsun: its just my fav. overall, tho the text could’ve been placed better.

2nd-krick: Looks like hes meditating under a waterfall, nice concept :P

3rd-ilikeeggs: just picked one out of the rest.

It seems like alot of these were just c4d and fractal spams… :/

Flag Post

Piratemonkey has two submissions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by rawismojo:

Thanks for pointing that out. ;)

Flag Post

First is GnomeLogic. Another one that I like from him. :) I think the colors work well together, though it might be just a tad too warm. If it were me, I’d make the necklace a very pale blue. But otherwise, I love the background and the position.

Second is Ilikeeggs. I like the blue, and how chaotic the background looks compared to how calm Sora looks. Only complaint is that the crown doesn’t stand out much. . .

Third is techyworm. Not the greatest, but I liked it more than the others because of the way the image fades to the right and makes me look at the whole thing. The background is rather bland, and doesn’t seem to work totally well with the image — I think an orange would work better. But I like it, nonetheless.

Just my two cents.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

Use that one. I like it better even if no-one else likes it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deriaz:

Second is Ilikeeggs. I like the blue, and how chaotic the background looks compared to how calm Sora looks. Only complaint is that the crown doesn’t stand out much. . .

Crown?

Flag Post

Yep it’s a crown.

lightsun: Like the house and the background. Not sure about the effects behind sora but I think it is definitely the best sig here.

Tapersreve: Looks like some sort of explosion behind him. Like the edited render though I’m don’t think it should be aloud.

krick19: Looks like rushing water falling onto Sora. Just looks nice overall.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ilikeeggs:

Crown?

Yeah, behind Sora. The crown. Like, the symbol for Kingdom Hearts or whatever? It’s the white part around him. I didn’t look at the original picture, but I assumed since it’s Kingdom Hearts/Sora, it’s a crown. Whatever that white part may be behind him, I think it doesn’t stand out too much behind him. But I wouldn’t know how to fix it. . . Maybe a little larger would help, but dunno.

-Deriaz

Flag Post

Krick – Overall a well composed signature ticking most basic boxes.
Tapersteve – Good edit + Nice effects in background – slightly blank.
Ilikeeggs – Well improved. Best of the rest.

Flag Post

1- Moomanmatt I think it flows well and i really like the blurring around the render

2- Tapersteve The manipulation with the render is good and I like the background

3- Hokage4354 I like the text placement and it has good lighting

also, thanks for the vote deriaz!

Flag Post
Originally posted by techyworm:

1- Moomanmatt I think it flows well and i really like the blurring around the render

2- Tapersteve The manipulation with the render is good and I like the background

3- Hokage4354 I like the text placement and it has good lighting

also, thanks for the vote deriaz!

Thankyou!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deriaz:
Originally posted by Ilikeeggs:

Crown?

Yeah, behind Sora. The crown. Like, the symbol for Kingdom Hearts or whatever? It’s the white part around him. I didn’t look at the original picture, but I assumed since it’s Kingdom Hearts/Sora, it’s a crown. Whatever that white part may be behind him, I think it doesn’t stand out too much behind him. But I wouldn’t know how to fix it. . . Maybe a little larger would help, but dunno.

-Deriaz

Ahh thanks.
As for everyone else. Thanks for the votes!

Flag Post

1st – Tapersteve – Great effects and flow. Love the colours. Very sharp.
2nd – Ilikeeggs – Very messy, quite monotone. Great effects and use of C4Ds.
3rd – Krick19 – Great flow. Good compo. Good use of C4Ds. I don’t like the colours.

Flag Post

Very annoyed with lack of votes for me…… Thought the smudging was amazing!

Flag Post

The smudging doesn’t look too appealing. Try smudging with a lower spacing and rate.

Flag Post

1ST – Hokage4354, I Really like this sig, good use of the Image the text goes well and really good lighting, improvement dont smudge the left so much and some of sora’s coller is smudged. 9/10

2ND – Tapersteve i love the whole manipulation thing, is good, the lighting is good, the focal is good (Everythings good? the background goes really well aswell Improvement either more or no shapes flying away from the explosion, can’t think what would look better. 8/10

3RD – Moonmanmatt :| I love the whole Shaking head effect i got from it, there are a few faults with the background but i still like it the text placement is’nt too good. i Like this piece. 7.5/10

Honourable mentions
Krick19 – this woul’dve been 2nd or third but I don’t think the background goes well with the rest of it.

Ilikeeggs (me too) – I dont like the wings bit’ couldve done with something else.

Flag Post

The smudging isn’t that impressive in yours, matt. It muddies the colors. Try to never smudge skin and/or hair. It never looks good.

Flag Post

MMM: it just makes it look like someone thru mud at it… Like Ncio said, less smudging would’ve worked better.

Flag Post

For people who work in both GIMP and photoshop, is the smudge tool basically identical in both?

Flag Post

For people who work in both GIMP and photoshop, is the smudge tool basically identical in both?

Yeah- Pretty much.

Flag Post

I think i’ve heard that a new PS came out l8ly, so idk bout it, but if not, the one i have is almost the same in every way compared to gimp. I actually like gimp more for the user-friendly part of it…

Flag Post
Originally posted by hokage4354:

Yeah- Pretty much.

Way wrong.

The smudge and brush tool are way more advanced in settings. We have jitter, but they have spacing jitter, rotational jitter, opacity jitter, and many more. They also have a much more advanced path tool called the pen tool.

Flag Post

And thats exactly wut i mean by gimp being more user friendly…. I didn’t even know that :P

Flag Post

1st – Tapersteve

I found this one to be one of the more creative and smooth ones. You changed around the stock a bit, which I liked, and the detail was amazing.

2nd – Ilikeeggs

The background just sold me; beautifully done. I wish you could’ve been a bit more creative with the stock, and in general, but I thought it was nice. The tones of blue you used were great.

3rd – lightsun
Although I felt the whole thing was a bit too much in such a small signature, I loved the lighthouse (it gave the background a subtle feel) and then had a sort of explosion with the stock. Loved this one, also.