Forums The Arts

[Group] Literary Writing Project: DEADLINE, 24 HOURS!

78 posts

Flag Post

inb4lock

Flag Post

That’s write, you guys can officially start writing! Once again here are the rules:

Rules, participant information and important details

FAQ

Theme: Mystery
Words required: 5000 minimum
Duration: 7 days

Suggested font format: Times New Roman, pt 12

You guys can use any type of word editor you want, as I will accept .txt, .doc, .docx and .odt formats (no pdf please). I will convert all these formats and upload them onto Google Documents for showcasing after some legibility formatting if required.

You guys can use whatever choice of font type or size you guys want, but try to send it to me in Times New Roman as I will be using that font on the showcase.

If you have any questions, whether it is about your writing or format, do ask them here. If you want to inquire about how to write something, do ask here too, but you guys are not allowed to ask anyone else to help you check your grammar, spelling, punctuation or anything else. Technical aspects in terms of writing it is fine, but please limit questions on grammar, punctuation, etc.

Good luck guys!

HOW TO SEND IN YOUR ENTRIES

The deadline for final submission is 7 days after this post. However, before then, you can start submitting your entries. If you are happy with your entries, you can submit them as and when you please. This is what you should do when you are submitting your entries:

1. Make sure it is .txt, .doc, .docx, .odt. I will not accept other formats.
2. Upload the file to Mediafire
3. Whisper me the download link with a profile whisper

NOTICES

Your entry can be 50000 words over 5000, I don’t really care. Try to reach at least 5000 words, but do be ready to overshoot it. I don’t want to put up half finished pieces with no proper ending and make it look extremely short and abrupt. Unless it is written in such a manner to create an effect, that’s fine, but still, try not to unless you are absolutely sure of what you are doing.

Thanks for the understanding.

………………………

I do hope everyone who participates submits something. :s

Flag Post

PARTICIPANTS

Laxaria
JudeMaverick
InwardNose
SaintAjora
Aidan
sockgzin
DoomStat
isonno
Razzi3l
MoonlaughMaster
pokarnor
areoin
techyworm
pivotman99
oceanix
Ilikeegss
Marh

Flag Post

will delete if unneeded

Flag Post

techyworm asked to sign up near the end Lax.

Also, 431/5000. XD

Some reference materials:

Genre description on Wikipedia

Scholastic Writing Tips for Mysteries

Online Grammar Reference (there are many good ones, I selected this as it is easily navigable)

Flag Post

By ‘mystery’ you mean that it has to be detective-type, and it’s mandatory to have a crime to be solved?

I was thinking of a kind of ‘psychological mystery’, where some unusual thing happens to a character and he goes out to find out why that happened, to prove to himself he’s not crazy.

Would something like that work?

- Just to add: By unusual I mean ‘visions, the kind of stuff only one person in a crowd can see’

Flag Post

It must relate to mystery. The setting, plot, storyline, genre, whatever, can be different, but it must have some relation to a mystery. It must not be a detective case, or a crime case, but it must be mystery.

Flag Post

What if we already have a mystery story?

Flag Post

psychological mystery

You might be thinking of this, which is somewhat related to and sometimes overlapping the mystery genre. It’s all in how you frame it.

Originally posted by pivotman99:

What if we already have a mystery story?

Start a new one! The main purpose here is to get people writing, not just to show off completed works.

Flag Post

I guess I’m in.

Flag Post
Originally posted by SaintAjora:

psychological mystery

You might be thinking of this, which is somewhat related to and sometimes overlapping the mystery genre. It’s all in how you frame it.

Yes, that’s kind of more related to what I’m trying to work on. I just like to explore personalities and how they would react in unusual circumstances more than exploring the situation itself.

Flag Post

pivotman99 added.

Go go writers!

Flag Post

signs Also, is it okay if I don’t strictly adhere to some of the standard English constructions if it’s merely the style of the piece?

Flag Post

It is fine to not adhere to standard English, but it must at least make sense and be legible. Im more particular about the formatting (Paragraph, Dialogue) than the writing style as a whole, since it needs to be able to be read easily

Flag Post

Damn, I picked a good time to break both of my arms. I’ll try though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ilikeeggs:

Damn, I picked a good time to break both of my arms. I’ll try though.

Is that a sign up? o.O

Flag Post

Yep. Is this going to be reccuring?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Ilikeeggs:

Yep. Is this going to be reccuring?

On a regular basis with different themes and ideas, hopefully. This is just to see how the attraction goes, and it seems quite popular so far.

We’ll see how many people actually complete it though.

Flag Post

Ok, But maybe, I was thinking of having different themes and changing the size. Sometimes the size can be quite hard, say, a 50 word story might be challenging to some. Also, would it help if i made a google account for this?
EDIT: Too bad i already have. I will whisper you the details if you want.

Flag Post

Also, would it help if i made a google account for this?

Im hosting it all on my google doc account. If you want, you can write using Google Docs.

Edit: Currently at 1675/5000

Without planning. :s

Flag Post

is it okay if mine is a little late? I’m talking about a day, day and 1/2. Also, where do we send our story to? Do we post it here? Sorry for the questions, but I’m a confused little chitlen.

Flag Post

Upload it to a file hosting site like mediafire and whisper me the link.

I do mind if its a bit late. Try to finish it early if you cant send it in in time.

Flag Post

I cant think of a good plot :/ I hate writers block

edit: and when is it due in?

Flag Post

Did around 2,500 yesterday. Will procrastinate for today.

Flag Post

How do we send it in? >.<