Rank Characters in terms of effectiveness

132 posts

Flag Post

Excluding Mardek, because you’re stuck with him, regardless of his effectiveness.

My order would be something like:

1. Gloria
2. Legion
3. Elwyen
4. Solaar
5. Sslen’ck
6. Verhn
7. Zach
8. Meraeador
9. Sharla
10. Donovan

Flag Post

“because you’re stuck with him, regardless of his effectiveness.”

What is that supposed to mean?

Flag Post
Originally posted by OMFGPwned:

“because you’re stuck with him, regardless of his effectiveness.”

What is that supposed to mean?

You can’t switch out mardek.

If you want to include him, though, be my guest.

Flag Post

Mine would be more like:

1. Elwyen (‘nuff said)
2. Mereador (Although misunderstood, I love giving everyone haste, regen, buffs, remedies, etc. And he makes Legion near invincible. And thermal spanner makes an awesome replacement for perforate.)
3. Legion (Awesome attack and attack-all spells. Fig element gemsplosion, blood claw for Karnos, etc.)
4. Gloria (Nice attack spells, heal-all, mass cleanse, nulling, etc.)
5. Sslen’ck (Best attack in the game, perforate can help if you don’t have thermal spanner.)
6. Zach (Sinstrike has amazing potential, crescendo slash is amazing, great damage against moral elements.)
7. Sharla (Null wind damage and damage enemies, magic or physical, good healer.)
8. Solaar (Best healer in the game other than Elwyen’s Ballad of Life, Astral Form.)
9. Verhn (Very effective against undead and dark enemies, but not necessarily anyone else, okay heal)
10. Donovan (Some useful skills, saddening attack/spirit, as well as survivability)

Flag Post
Originally posted by acambly:

Mine would be more like:

1. Elwyen (‘nuff said)
2. Mereador (Although misunderstood, I love giving everyone haste, regen, buffs, remedies, etc. And he makes Legion near invincible. And thermal spanner makes an awesome replacement for perforate.)
3. Legion (Awesome attack and attack-all spells. Fig element gemsplosion, blood claw for Karnos, etc.)
5. Sslen’ck (Best attack in the game, perforate can help if you don’t have thermal spanner.)
6. Zach (Sinstrike has amazing potential, crescendo slash is amazing, great damage against moral elements.)
7. Sharla (Null wind damage and damage enemies, magic or physical, good healer.)
8. Solaar (Best healer in the game other than Elwyen’s Ballad of Life, Astral Form.)
9. Verhn (Very effective against undead and dark enemies, but not necessarily anyone else, okay heal)
10. Donovan (Some useful skills, saddening attack/spirit, as well as survivability)

where can Legion learn Fig gemsplosion. In one of the dream locations, or is it from master emerald?

Flag Post
Originally posted by aznperson999:

Mine would be more like:

1. Elwyen (‘nuff said)

where can Legion learn Fig gemsplosion. In one of the dream locations, or is it from master emerald?

Gempslosion is a skill that doesn’t have a specific element, it depends on which gemstone you have equipped. For fig, you need to equip the purple gemstone (I forget what it’s called, but it starts with a C and you can buy it in one of the shops in Aeropolis).

Flag Post

You can equip Legion with a fig-element gem, and then use gemsplosion wich he can learn from, like, any gem. Mine would be like this:

1: Gloria, she’s pretty tough for an all elemental spellcaster, and good nulls
2: Sharla, I’m a noob, I like being able to blast the crap out of everyone on the first turn.
3: Legion, great spell variation, though a bit difficult to get some of his spells. He can be VERY tough, but it’s hard to get him there. (Farming monster fangs made me want to kill myself)
4: Zach, I dont use him too often, but when he does come into play, his crescendo and immoral injustice are amazing, but he’s kind of delicate for me. He and Sharla are more like glass cannons.
5: Solaar, If it wasn’t so difficult to get his ultimate weapon, she would probably be really good for healing. He also has good natural spell damage, and she has a good moveset, though limited.
6: Sslen’ck, great melee attacker, and he can get quite a few quarries. He’s also one of the tougher characters, making him reliable.
7: Meraeador, he’s got a good few moves, and he come with some good items. His status moves are really helpful, and he’s pretty easy to train, since he’s a team-player.
8:Donovan, I didn’t really find much use with him. There just arn’t enough air element enemies in this game to make him especialy great.
9: Elwyen, I don’t think she’s too spectacular, but I havn’t given her much chance to prove herself. She might move up on my ranks on my second time through, but for now she’s here.
10: Verhn, pretty bad. I tried using him a few times but he dropped like a rock every time. I think with the absence of undead in this chapter, he’s the least effective. He needs a better ultimate weapon too.

Flag Post

I much prefer Thauma gemsplosion (use Morningstar).

Not many enemies are weak to Thauma, as some may be to fig, but will normally do damage without having to deal with thauma resistance, since so few have it

Flag Post
Originally posted by Smorphilicator:

You can equip Legion with a fig-element gem, and then use gemsplosion wich he can learn from, like, any gem. Mine would be like this:

9: Elwyen, I don’t think she’s too spectacular, but I havn’t given her much chance to prove herself. She might move up on my ranks on my second time through, but for now she’s here.

I think Elwyen’s somewhat overrated, but if you have the right songs, she kicks some serious ass.
-Dilorous Dirge ignores resistances, shreading pixies and a lot of other spirit-type enemies in one or two turns.
-Requiem absolutely ANNIHILATES undead.
-Ballad of life is a great healing ability
-Runic Rhapsody is great for increasing survivability against the superbosses.
-Ballad of Balance is great against monsters who do a lot of damage to single opponents.

In short, while she’s probably not the best out there, she’s pretty damn good.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Procyonpi:
Originally posted by Smorphilicator:

I think Elwyen’s somewhat overrated, but if you have the right songs, she kicks some serious ass.
-Dilorous Dirge ignores resistances, shreading pixies and a lot of other spirit-type enemies in one or two turns.
-Requiem absolutely ANNIHILATES undead.
-Ballad of life is a great healing ability
-Runic Rhapsody is great for increasing survivability against the superbosses.
-Ballad of Balance is great against monsters who do a lot of damage to single opponents.

In short, while she’s probably not the best out there, she’s pretty damn good.

I’m not saying she’s bad. I just never really used her that much, and now my only enemies are Karnos, Animus and Qualna, making it hard to level her up from level 15 to the high 30’s like the rest of my party. Although I’m thinking about starting to use her now that I’ve seen a lot of people say that she’s good.

Flag Post

i beat both superbosses using mardek only and a little help from lizard guy (perforate)

Flag Post

1. Elwyn: Awesome for leveling up chars for the arena in the Kornos zone. Usefull on trash and boss mobs.
2. Verhn: The same itemization as Mardek(the best to be precise), strongest melee char on higher levels due to smite+ and smiteX, can use blood and cursed blade to convert all dmg to heal, has the ability to hit with a spell attack. Only bad point is that he becomes useless in the ultimate battle, since his dmg relies on spr.
3. Gloria: Versatile caster with good itemization. Also the only one that can learn magical drain(staff can be found on posh zombie I believe).
4. Sslen’ck: Physical and magical damage. Long fights allow him to bolster up his strength and overcome any defense. Missing a shield spot, so no 30% spell resist and additional boni, but has the strongest ultimate weapon.
5. Legion: Bad itemization but a lot of spells to exploit whatever weakness an enemy has.
6. Zach: Can be a heavy hitter, has 70% evade, ultimate weapon is available early on and can attack dark element. Useless against trash mobs and only usefull against some bosses. Also he can not empower his attacks through items(like all the other melee characters).
7. Mereador: Potion spray for the expensive potions, his inventions are good(flamethrower, mirrors) but there is no ultimate weapon like a doomsday machine that combines all of them into one item. Also berserk status makes him completely useless and it can not be dispelled or resisted.
8. Solaar: Strong heal, strong magical attacks superior resists with aether form. Bad itemization and only one element for attack spells, also consumes a lot of MP so not that good against trash. Would be ranked higher if his ultimate weapon would come into play earlier.
9. Sharla: Nothing that would make her viable above gloria
10. Donovan: Nothing that would make him viable above gloria

Flag Post
Originally posted by Procyonpi:
Originally posted by aznperson999:

Mine would be more like:

1. Elwyen (‘nuff said)
thanks, i’ve been looking for a way to attack with the less common elements for a while :P

Gempslosion is a skill that doesn’t have a specific element, it depends on which gemstone you have equipped. For fig, you need to equip the purple gemstone (I forget what it’s called, but it starts with a C and you can buy it in one of the shops in Aeropolis).

Flag Post

er sorry about double post, i was about to say thanks, because i’ve been looking for attacks with the less common elements

Flag Post

I need to say, your lucky you are only stuck with mardek. If in the 2nd Deugan didn’t “die” and emela didnt leave, you would have been stuck with 2 or 3 people, making your party much less flexible. (though the spellbladery and elemancing was pretty flexible)

Flag Post

MARDEK 3 is different than MARDEK 2 in the sense that versatility is much better than specialization. In MARDEK 2, Vehrn kicked ass because half the game is only zombies. In MARDEK 3? Not so much; you’ll be fighting a mix of monsters of all elements and types, some with high evasion, others with high magic defense, etc.

Thus, Sharla and Donovan are not so good because they focus on only a single element; there’s no variety (the only exception is Sharla at the Earth temple, obviously). Vehrn is also bad, since there’s only two undead dungeons, both quite small (even worse is that Elwyen is sometimes better to kill undead). Zach and Sslen’ck are also out because they focus too much on physical attacks. This is a problem, since there’s ghosts and pixies and fairies and spectres and dream figments and golems and whatnot, which are immune/highly resistant to them.

This leaves us with Legion, which is awesome due to its elemental versatility (it deals fig and thauma damage!). Mereador is also quite good; there’s a lot of options with his inventions (and giving haste to your entire party means you pretty much won). Gloria has access to all four natural elements, healing and Null spells; also excellent. And Elwyen is just simply overpowered.

I’m just no so sure with Solaar. His/her skills are really good, specially his/her healing and Spirit Graft. But he/she is made of glass and dead allies are never useful. With the VIT +6 Stole, he/she becomes really resistant, but until them…

Flag Post

1. Legion
2. Gloria
3. Solaar
4. Elwyen
5. Sslen’ck
6. Zach
7. Verhn
8. Sharla
9. Mereador
10. Donovan

Flag Post

1. Sslen’ck
2. Solaar
3. Gloria
4. Elwyen
5. Legion
6. Sharla
7. Zach
8. Meraeador
9. Verhn
10. Donovan
._.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Referos:

MARDEK 3 is different than MARDEK 2 in the sense that versatility is much better than specialization.

Zach and Sslen’ck are also out because they focus too much on physical attacks. This is a problem, since there’s ghosts and pixies and fairies and spectres and dream figments and golems and whatnot, which are immune/highly resistant to them.

I agree with you up until that point. Versatility is more than just in individual characters; it’s also across the whole party. Without either Zach or Sslen’ck, you are lacking a character which is capable of strong melee attacks; I would definitely say a party is lacking diversity if it only has magic, healing, and support with no melee.

However for the reason you state, Sslen’ck is a lot better than Zach (not to mention Zach cannot come even close to Sslen’ck’s almost game breaking damage output). When it comes to ghosts/pixies/fairies/etc who are immune/resistant to physical attacks, Sslen’ck can fall back onto his Fire Breath, which is stronger than you might think, and if nothing else he is nearly unkillable making him great for having stacks of phoenix feathers to revive more fragile party members that die in combat.

Flag Post

I need to say, Im glad theres 1 thing we dont fight about. Donovan. in all list he’s the worst. His pyroshel doesnt even stop fire magic, and it just heals the fire guardian. And, it makes sense hes useless, since he decides to chat with me miners while u, deugan, emela, and steele, (who is actually pretty good) fight murriance.

Flag Post

Well, my favorite setup was Mardek / Gloria / Elwyen / Solaar. My list would be something like this:

1. Elwyen
2. Gloria
3. Legion
4. Solaar
5. Mareador
6. Sslen’ck
7. Zach
8. Vehrn
9. Sharla
10. Donovan

I’ll be the first to admit solaar’s not THAT good. His ability to increase SPR, though, was very usefull in bosses, and his Pleasant Sunbeam skill could full heal my party throughout most of the game, allowing me to resist untill the superbosses had 0 spr (thanks to gloria’s whirlpool). As someone said, he’s pretty brittle, but no more if you get a Vit stole.

Mardek is enough for physical attacks, in my humble opinion. Equipping him with haste items made him pretty good to dash out constant element damage.

I agree fully with Referos’s post, it pretty much summarizes my thoughts on the other characters.

Flag Post

1: Elwyen. If you thought she was gamebreaking before. Give her astral harp, Soul stone, her arena trinket, the LesserRainbowRobe, and her normal tiara. She may not get tooooo much out of haste, but really, she doesn’t have to. 30% passive resistance to all elements with her body armor alone, coupled with learned magic resists makes her a VERY hard target, and immune to water. Her primary attack can deal astral as well, which is useful once in a blue moon.

2: Gloria. Stat dropping. check. Healing. check. DPS. check. Shielding. check. Good stats. check. No notable weakness. check. Is there anything else you need?

3: Zach. i don’t use him, as he pairs better with Merador then most, but he’s still capable of becoming an insane character. Haste + Crescendo Slash allows Zach to pass the point of no return in damage if uninterrupted. SSlen’ck is FAR better coming out of the gate, but Zach builds up rapidly. Comparing the two is like comparing a race car to a freight train. 10 seconds in, the race car will do much more damage when it makes impact with a wall. Five minutes in, the train (Zach) won’t exactly crash, it will simply go clean through whatever it hits.

4: Sslen’ck. Very, VERY hard to kill when built right. Great physical damage and some versatility. Can’t use a shield though, and Boost is nothing compared to Haste Crescendo. His durability makes him a very reliable offtank.

5. Mereador. Awesome buffer. Personally, I feel its him or Elwyen though, as sacrificing Gloria for another buffer is downright stupid, and mardek can’t handle healing well on his own, and potion spray costs potions to operate, and the cost of getting 900 Fig juices for the later fights…. Although his buffs ARE in the realm of gods (haste, cmon, HASTE), the only team he works in is really Gloria, Zach, himself, and Mardek.

6: Vehrn. Don’t get me wrong. He’s good. His abilities are just very confined. When not facing dark, or undead, or worse, facing light, he’s little more than a twig. However, when he is facing dark or undead, he might as well have a chainsaw grafted to one arm, and Samus’s arm cannon to the other.

7:Legion. Very durable, and very versatile appearing. Also able to do little more than tank and spam Thauma-gemsplosion. He has his uses against resiliant enemies, and can mix up his elements, but Gloria adds Debuff to damage, and can heal.

8: Sharla. Can heal. Other than that, not that useful.

9: Donovan. Has one or two useful spells. not as good as Sharla’s healing, but mildly useful.

10: Sollaar. Battle starts. Enemy ant uses physical attack on Solaar. Solaar has taken 13370 damage. Sollar dies of getting hit by an antleg. In all seriousness, he’s squishier at level 15 than Elwyen is at level 9. He eats mana left and right, and dies more times per fight than the peso equivalent of dollars that Kim Jong Eil wants from the USA. and for the record, thats $65 trillion US. Even Donovan can survive an antbite though. Even with the Vit Stole, he’s more brittle than anyone else.

Flag Post

Solaar is pretty underrated, I see. Yes, he’s brittle, but pair him with elwyen and gloria, and he can boost their spirit for incredible results (elwyen can basically null magic or physical damage, and gloria can do crazy numbers).

Flag Post

Once you have access to Astral Form, Solaar becomes one of the most, if not the most, durable characters in the game (at least in my experience). I guess it takes a while to get to that point, though. If you’re comparing characters at low levels in the early portions of the game, then yes, Solaar is almost unbearably squishy, but late-game Sharla, Donovan and Zach (even Gloria, to an extent) have bigger problems with durability.

Flag Post

I have a question about mereador…when he equips weapons…can he only use that weapon skill…for example..lets say he has the thermal spanner…then i equip him with a different weapon..do i only get to use the skill with the weapon equipped?