Dreamstone 16 analysis [MAJOR SPOILERS]

5 posts

Flag Post
This thread is supposed to discuss Dreamstone 16: Enki's Dreamstone. Here's the Dreamstone:
What the...? Where the Hells am I? 
Damn... I musta been out a while. I’m losin' my mind out here. I swear... Ha'n't seen civ in an age an' a day. 
Ha'n't seen the wife an' wee 'n in even longer. Not a day goes by when they ain't not on my mind. 
Not that that does a whole lotta good, mind. Doesn’t reunite us, doesn't make her happy, doesn't nothin'. 
Some waste o' space I turned out to be. Not exactly father material, seems like. 
Family life's not for me, I thought. I can't just leave my responsibilities behind, I thought, as it's not in my nature. 
Then, to see those responsibilities, I went an'... left my responsibilities behind. 
Eh, they'll live 'til I'm back. They're survivors. I made sure a' that. 
Even if I –have- been gone an angel's age longer than anticipated... 
I'd been getting too settled in when my homeland needs me. I won't let some damned –accident-, some will-o'-the-stars, run my whole life! I just won't, dammit! 
I'll change it all, I thought, I'll make it right. So here I am. 
Here I am, out in the godsdamned frozen wilderness, blindly fumbling along this icy troll's gnarly backbone, lone as an eagle, tryin' to find some doodah or gizmo that'll get me home. 
I know there's one 'round here somewhere. I've heard the tales, and colour me gullible an' green as a wet 'n, but them sorts a' tales don't lie, says a hunch big enough to ring bells with. 
I can but wonder what kind a' mess those yoon-eyed invaders have run up back home while I've idled, but I'll be damned if I'll let them corrupt us any more than they've done. 
They mayn't a' rained fire and brimstone from the heavens, but they sure as Hell took over, with a smile in their eye and a chummy waggle a' the ol' grabber, aye, but an invasion it was, an invasion it was... 
Heh. The boy's face when he’ll know... It'll be a riot. 
He'll have grown up now, good an' fine. Let's hope he's looked after the ol' doll in his pa's absence, eh? He's a good 'n, he'll have done it. He’s one a' mine. 
My pa wasn't never there for me neither, and I turned out just fine. Hmph. 
It shaped me, and I won't let him grow up no sissy. This is good for us all, what I'm doin'. He’ll see in the end. But where in SHAN's name am I?! It's might frigid out there: I must a' passed out 'n' been brought back here, this warm hut... 
Let's hope it’s a benefactor and not the 'ma-le' kind. But if Lady Luck's stood up on me again this day, capricious trollop she is, I've still got fight in me, let 'em come. 
I'll fight through whatever it takes, 'til I get that giz-dah and the goldfish shines once more. 
Then I can make everything right. Then I can be redeemed.
Guess who "recorded" that Dreamstone? *Mardek's Father, and Lilanea's husband, Enki Ea'seph El-Regis!* Alright, part-by-part analysis:
What the...? Where the Hells am I? 
Damn... I musta been out a while. I’m losin' my mind out here. I swear... Ha'n't seen civ in an age an' a day.
He hasn't seen any cities in a long time. This means he's not on Hadris or Fengue. This leaves Tharadia and Nole'Oth. Since he has been seen on Nole'Oth, this (obviously) means that he's in Nole'Oth.
Ha'n't seen the wife an' wee 'n in even longer. Not a day goes by when they ain't not on my mind. 
Not that that does a whole lotta good, mind. Doesn’t reunite us, doesn't make her happy, doesn't nothin'. 
Some waste o' space I turned out to be. Not exactly father material, seems like.
He says he's no good father or husband here, but he still cares for them deeply.
Family life's not for me, I thought. I can't just leave my responsibilities behind, I thought, as it's not in my nature. 
Then, to see those responsibilities, I went an'... left my responsibilities behind. 
Well, he says that he's sure that they will be safe until he's back. He's also regretting leaving them.
Even if I –have- been gone an angel's age longer than anticipated...
Of course. +11 years.
I'd been getting too settled in when my homeland needs me. I won't let some damned –accident-, some will-o'-the-stars, run my whole life! I just won't, dammit!
Aha! This part is complicated. As you know, Belfan has an unusual gravitational pull, as seen in chapter 1... When Rohoph's ship crashed near the Sothwood. Enki's spaceship must have crashed too. Why? You never know. But how do we know that he HAS a spaceship in the first place?
I'll change it all, I thought, I'll make it right. So here I am. 
Here I am, out in the godsdamned frozen wilderness, blindly fumbling along this icy troll's gnarly backbone, lone as an eagle, tryin' to find some doodah or gizmo that'll get me home.
"Frozen Wilderness" means "Nole'Oth." He's in the Backbone of a frozen troll, right? Attempting to find a gizmobob or doodah. What's that? The Gizmometer.
I know there's one 'round here somewhere. I've heard the tales, and colour me gullible an' green as a wet 'n, but them sorts a' tales don't lie, says a hunch big enough to ring bells with.
He thinks the Gizmometer is in Nole'Oth. That's why he's there. For eleven+ goddammed years.
I can but wonder what kind a' mess those yoon-eyed invaders have run up back home while I've idled, but I'll be damned if I'll let them corrupt us any more than they've done.
Yoon-Eyed. One-Eyed. What race so far has one eye? And that has been corrupted? Yeah, you do the math.
They mayn't a' rained fire and brimstone from the heavens, but they sure as Hell took over, with a smile in their eye and a chummy waggle a' the ol' grabber, aye, but an invasion it was, an invasion it was... 
Heh. The boy's face when he’ll know... It'll be a riot.
The Annunaki took over Enki's home planet.
He'll have grown up now, good an' fine. Let's hope he's looked after the ol' doll in his pa's absence, eh? He's a good 'n, he'll have done it. He’s one a' mine.
Mardek.
My pa wasn't never there for me neither, and I turned out just fine. Hmph. 
It shaped me, and I won't let him grow up no sissy. This is good for us all, what I'm doin'. He’ll see in the end. But where in SHAN's name am I?! It's might frigid out there: I must a' passed out 'n' been brought back here, this warm hut...
He was in a hut all along. Also, have you noticed how he said "where in SHAN's name am I?!" This just encourages the theory that he's not from Belfan. So SHAN must be a god like YALORT.
Let's hope it’s a benefactor and not the 'ma-le' kind. But if Lady Luck's stood up on me again this day, capricious trollop she is, I've still got fight in me, let 'em come. 
I'll fight through whatever it takes, 'til I get that giz-dah and the goldfish shines once more. 
Then I can make everything right. Then I can be redeemed.
Goldfish = The broken ship at Xantusia. You can figure out the rest yourself.

Flag Post

Well… very good, but also a bit confuse. Why wouldn’t you just let the players guess?

Flag Post

Backbone of a frozen troll, lone as an eagle. I think that means he is up high, on a mountain range somewhere.

Flag Post

Backbone of a frozen troll may refer to a high, frigid mountain ridge.

Flag Post

I’ll add to what Yven wrote six months ago:

Enki mentions he has responsibilities, ones which he put before his responsibilities as a father; we’ll come back to these later. It is worth noting, however, that Enki’s surname, “Regis,” seems to be an indication of status. Gonoroth Fa-Regis was the king of Goznor. If the surname “Regis” translates to kingship, than Enki very well might be a king, which very well might be at least some of his other responsibilities.

I take a slightly different view on this matter than Yven does. First of all, Enki’s been away from Nineveh for over 22 years. Why over 22 years? Mardek is 21 at the end of Chapter I, so that’s at least 21 years, and Enki must have been on Belfan to get Lilanea pregnant. Enki was around on Belfan for some time before that, though, since he had gathered a pretty big reputation before Lilanea met him. How long does it take to get a reputation on Belfan? I don’t know for sure, but I dare say it takes longer than three months.

So Enki’s been away from Nineveh for more than 22 years. So what? If the Violet Crystal showed up more than 22 years ago, and if it had a rapid affect on the GDM, then Rohoph would have shown up earlier than he did, and probably would have died. If the VC showed up more than 22 years ago, and it had a long, drawn-out affect on the GDM, than their corruption wouldn’t have had much of an affect on their interactions with Nineveh, unlike what Yven suggests.

So what exactly do these lines mean? Let me introduce you to a bit of Rohoph’s P-dialogue:

We feel that more primitive races can benefit from the order we keep, so we tend to educate any new races that we meet about our values, our morals, our ways, gradually accepting them into our own society.

So here’s what happens: The Annunaki visit as many planets as they can. If they encounter primitive people, then the Annunaki, in the guise of “angles,” give little nudges in what they believe is the “right” direction. When they deem the people of that planet to no-longer be “primitive,” they swoop in, and, with a big grin, congratulate the no-longer primitive peoples on being developed enough to join their society. At that point, the Anunaki, believing that what they do is right, alter the formerly-primitive people’s society to better match their own, likely displacing rulers, and doing away with many parts of the formerly-primitive people’s culture. It’s the same basic thing that Europeans did to other countries for hundreds of years here on Earth. The typical reaction to such forced change? Anger. Aggression. Etc. Especially if you’re one of those displaced rulers.

From the perspective of the people living on Nineveh, they were conquered. Some of them might have seen the conquest as beneficial, just like some people were genuinely pleased when the Romans came in and conquered their country. Others, however, were probably quite displeased. If Enki really was a king, he was likely removed from the throne by the Annunaki, and was probably pretty upset. He probably created or joined a resistance movement, acquired a ship, and went off to do battle, only to be caught in Belfan’s gravitational anomaly.

These were the “responsibilities” Enki mentioned, the ones which took precedence over those as a father and husband.

But where in SHAN's name am I?! It's might frigid out there: I must a' passed out 'n' been brought back here, this warm hut... 

It turns out, most of this thinking was done in near-unconsciousness. Here, we learn that somebody found Enki’s body, and took him inside a hut of some sort. Perhaps a shaman of Nole’Oth? Perhaps some sort of village of snowman-people, or something? Is this, perhaps, the rumored village of hunky men?!?! We may never know….