Elwyen- Hard to level up

14 posts

Flag Post

Right now Elwyen is at level 12, and im just starting on getting crystals. Each turn when she plays a song, she gains 200 exp; so im estimating that she’ll be quite underlevelled in the future..so my question is will she really be underlevelled, and what did you do to solve that problem?

Flag Post

Levels aren’t quite necessary in MARDEK like in most other RPGs – a level up only gives you a little HP, a little MP, a little more damage and each 2 levels give you a single RP in each category. And that’s about it, really.
If you still fear that Elwyen might become underlevelled, acquire Dolorous Dirge and see the results.

Flag Post

It really depends on how much you grind with her. In my case, I did read a lot of guides because I wanted the impossible badge, then I saw that Elwyen was really helpful with all of her songs, so when I got her into my party, I never got her out of it. You should focus on getting all the chalices on the temples to acces Miasmal Citadel, then you can get loads of exp there with Elwyen just grinding on Skelizards (if I remember correctly) because theyre undead and you can kill them quite well with Requiem song in 2 turns (this also depends on Elwyen SPR).
My Elwyen ended up at level 43 or 44 after I got the impossible badge, and must say, without her, I couldn’t achieve that badge.

Flag Post

Dolorous Dirge is the second-most-reliable way to kill Pixies (after Solar Flare), and grinding Pixies is one of the fastest ways to level up. Just make sure she has Clarity, or she’s likely to get confused and stop playing before the second hit.

Originally posted by Guunzhoot:

[…] grinding on Skelizards (if I remember correctly) because theyre undead and you can kill them quite well with Requiem song in 2 turns.

For what it’s worth, Meraeador can do pretty much the same thing with Flamethrower, except he does more damage, and he’s not limited to undead.

Flag Post
Originally posted by player_03:

For what it’s worth, Meraeador can do pretty much the same thing with Flamethrower, except he does more damage, and he’s not limited to undead.

Ohh, didnt knew that, but anyways, when you kill them with Elwyen’s Requiem she gets a little more exp because is her skill what kills the mobs, so that means she’ll level up a little bit faster than using Meraedor.

Flag Post

Is it just me or is Elwyen always ignored by trash mobs? I’ve been trying to master her defensive reaction skills but no one feels like attacking her.

Flag Post
Originally posted by blackhawk808:

Is it just me or is Elwyen always ignored by trash mobs? I’ve been trying to master her defensive reaction skills but no one feels like attacking her.

If you equipped her with the Minstrel’s Tiara as her hat/helmet, you should note that it has a property called “Charismatic Performer (50%)”, which causes your foes to ignore her and attack your other teammates whenever she’s playing the song. The description of the Tiara is as follows:

A special magical tiara worn by music performers in battle. It causes even monsters to be enamoured by the performer’s music, such that there’s a chance that they’ll neglect to attack them, leaving the performer to continue their playing.

So unless you’re trying to master the Tiara’s “Survivor” skill, then you should probably equip Elwyen with another hat if you’re trying to master any other defensive reaction skill.

Flag Post

An easier way to master reaction skills on her (and any characters) is by taking only Mardek and her (no others), then fight some simple enemies and let them hit you. 50% chance of getting hit instead of 25%. At least, I presume each character has an equal chance of being hit.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Darkruler2005:

An easier way to master reaction skills on her (and any characters) is by taking only Mardek and her (no others), then fight some simple enemies and let them hit you. 50% chance of getting hit instead of 25%. At least, I presume each character has an equal chance of being hit.

I do that for new characters whose defensive reaction skills(magic and physical) I need to master. I also use this technique if there’s only one item with a unique reaction skill (such as the Golden Gauntlet for characters who can’t equip heavy armor or robot plating).

My strategy for mastering defensive reactions for my whole team is to equip as many defensive reaction skills, wait out a battle (with preferably 4 monsters), let your foes wail away at you, and keep count until everyone has mastered their skills (Double AP greatly shortens the time to master skills). That way, I don’t waste equipment slots that can be put to better use to equip items with passive skills.

I go to Eastern Glens, Lake Qur, or Soothwood to train physical reactions because the monsters there have weaker attacks. I use any of the ooze-type monsters to master magical reaction because they tend to attack all of my characters in one turn (I like the Lava Blobs for this because they’re very common).

Flag Post

Roughly the same strategy, only I take my team to harder areas provided they can handle it. That way, my characters level up, and I can even do some quests along the while. In fact, I mastered quite a high percentage of skills on everyone simply by doing the quests.

Flag Post

If you really, really, want Elewyn to be a high level, then here is what you must do. First, Elewyn must know dolorous dirge, and Legion must know Fairy Dust. Next, you need to choose an enemy which uses only physical attacks. These attacks must not be ones which can inflict status ailments, or alter stats in anyway. The Golems in the Earth temple are fairly good for this. You should have Legion drain the stats of the monster you chose to zero. This prevents it from doing any damage to you. A useful party member would be Solaar, as xis spirit graft ability will restore Legions Mana, meaning you wont need to waste manaberries or elixers. When you have drained the stats of your chosen monster, kill everyone in your party except Elewyn. Next, record a mouse macro, where Elewyn uses a non-damaging song. Anything except dolorous dirge is probably fine. If you don’t have a suitable mouse macro, I’ll post a link to a good one at the end called Do It Again, which worked for me fine. Make sure you record every movement slowly, as sudden lag could muck up the macro. After you finish setting up the macro, set it going, a do something else, maybe checking on it every ten minutes or so. Finally, after you finish, use dolorous dirge to kill the monster that you chose and enjoy the experience you have gained!

Link to Do It Again mouse macro:

http://dottech.org/freeware-reviews/11230/

Flag Post

Could this work with Gloria and Wildfire? Fairy Dust is a bit hard to learn, the only fairy i fought is the one in a chest with a claw.
Leave the high level place and go to someplace like Gem Mines, fight a Mantid. Since it has lesser STR, you could drain it much easier.

Flag Post

It could work with any monster, really. The only question is whether or not Gloria’s wildfire will kill the monster or not, because if it can survive one hit, then you can heal said monster with potions afterwards. If you chose an exceptionally weak monster, then could skip the draining stage entirely, and go straight using the mouse macro, so long as you ensure that Elewyn is playing the Ballad of Life.

Flag Post

a very easy way is just to have mardek and elwyen. then go to any low lvl mob. have her do a sing (Non damaging one). and she gain exp every turn :) going really fast if doing so. she is actually the highest lvl of my people atm hehe.