Which character combination do you use?

24 posts

Flag Post

Because im playing the game a second time, and i would like to have a new combination of characters. Previously i had:

Mardek Legion Solaar Elwyen

And it was quite good. Im not sure if the other characters are as good though, they seem rather limited in terms of their elements. Most of them only have 2-3 elements, which could potentially be an ass, especially in the dream world.

Sharla, Donovan, Zach, and Meraeador all seem less than useful :)
And Sslenck only has…fire.

Flag Post

I usually use Solaar, Legion and Gloria. Gloria & Legion are a pretty good combo in Guardian fights (or anyone else who uses skills like Tsunami and Raging Inferno.) Gloria just nulls stuff, and you can give Legion a BUNCH of PhoenixDowns which you can buy from Gope JUST before the boss, as he has high HP and can survive the attack, so he can revive Mardek and the other person you use.

Sslen’ck isn’t just fire. :P http://fighunter.wikia.com/wiki/Dragon_Tech

Sharla can be useful in Pixie fights (give her Confusion resistance and she can use Healing Wind to cure Confusion) but Donovan is not a good character at all. He could be somewhat useful in the Fire Temple for nulling, but Gloria can do that.

Zach’s good if you want him to be. Personally, I don’t use him much but if you give him good stuff he’ll do good stuff. I think.

Flag Post

If you want to use Gloria, she is your definite saboteur character. All of the four elemental attacks she uses targets one of the stats, SPR, STR, VIT, and AGL. She also has nulls for the four elements as well. Finally, you can use cleanse and mass cleanse for healing effects.

If you think Mereador is not so useful, did you know that you can equip two of his inventions at once, in the main slot and offhand slot respectively. Also, when Mereador and Legion are in a battle together, Mereador can repair Legion, buffing his stats, and restoring most of his health.

Donovan is the obvious fire mage. He has three direct fire attacks: Burn, Flame and Blaze. Burn will deal damage and lower defence, with a chance of causing fire damage. Flame is the generic fire spell. Blaze is basically a powered up version of Flame, dealing more damage for more MP. Donovan can also boost strength by 3-8 points every time, with Strength Boost. Two of his other spells are Remove numbness, with an obvious effect, and Null fire once, which will prevent fire damage to each member of your party once. His final Spell is Pyro shell, which prevents fire damage and/or hits them for damage back.

Sharla, I would have to say, is personally to me the least useful character. She has lightning bolt and thunderbolt, a copy of Donovan’s Flame and Blaze, with Lightning bolt being the weaker version. She has null air once, and remove paralysis, both with obvious effects. She uses Gust shell, with grants the target a few defence points, and Aero shell, which is the Air version of Pyro shell. She uses Agility boost which can raise agility by 3-8 points. However, this is fairly useless, as all it does is change the order in which your characters attack. Her final, and probably best spell is Healing wind. It is a powerful healing spell that affects the whole party, and will cure confusion. Its the second best heal in the game.

Zach can be very useful, if you start using him early on. He can berserk himself, doubling damage but becoming uncontrollable. He can use Crescendo slash to deal increasing damage as a battle progresses: first 100%, then 125%, then 150%, and so on. He has sure slash, which inflicts half the damage of a normal attack, but will never miss. He has Coup de grace, which inflicts more damage the more status effects there are on a target. His next attack, sinstrike deals damage depending on the number of monsters he has killed. His final attack, Immoral Justice, deals large amounts of damage to either a dark elemental or light elemental enemy. This is the only one of his attacks which actually uses MP. Zach is useful in long term battles, like bosses, if you can keep him alive. He has low VIT, so this may be a problem.

Flag Post

How useful is Vehrn though? I think his smite deals damage unreduced by magic def or physical def, would that be true?

And Mereador can only use 2 spells, apparently. Seems rather limited. Not sure how good is the “repairing legion” though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Mysticazure:

And Mereador can only use 2 spells, apparently. Seems rather limited. Not sure how good is the “repairing legion” though.

Mereador can only use two different spells in any one battle. If you were to carry his other inventions with him, you can change those between battle.

Flag Post

Oh, does it cost a turn? I kinda forgot about that, hah.

Flag Post

Has anyone tried mereador as a serious character?

Meh, im considering just going with the same characters again, the other characters just seem limited in their elements. though that would mean the same party dialogue :(

Flag Post

Meh, im considering just going with the same characters again, the other characters just seem limited in their elements. though that would mean the same party dialogue :(

I’ve used him as a buffer via potion spray – That role is honestly what he’s best at if you can secure the items. (Buffing potions do not have a reduced effect if used with the potion spray. One example of this would be hasting the entire party!)

Flag Post

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CgpYd4fXxJQ

Flag Post

Well, it depends a lot what is the element you´re fighting, but I use Sharla, Gloria, Solaar and of course Mardek. It goes well with everything.

I never use Elwyen.

Flag Post

same here

Flag Post

@Mysticazure:
Actually mereador’s main str,according to TARDIS is his potion spray which is quite useful for buffing the entire team.
Combined with his ability to fully restore and repair legion along with buffing him,you’ve got one hell let loose!

Flag Post

@flunky789
…It’s more that how you build him depends on what inventions you’re having him use, really. The potion spray is the best supportive option. Not so much healing, as the healing effects ARE divided among the party, but you get the idea.

Flag Post

Im starting MARDEK again and im thinkin of using Solaar,Sslen’ck and Legion wut do u think of this party?

Flag Post

Well, I don´t agree with what Burnyoureyes said. I actually usually use Sharla in my party. In my opinion, she´s rather powerful, and her Thunderbolt it´s very useful in the Earth Temple, but you can also use her in the other temples. he said:Sharla, I would have to say, is personally to me the least useful character, but I really think Donovan is the weakest character in the game. He has no use in Fire and Water Temples, because in the Fire Temple his power may be nulled or absorved, and Water nulls Fire in the Water Temple. In the Earth Temple, you may use Air Elemental attacks, wich Gloria, Mardek and Sharla can do and he doesn´t. Fire hasn’t got much use here. Donovan’s fire skills would be useful if you had an Air Temple, because Fire is strong against Air, but obviously, if there´s no Air Temple, Donovan can´t do anything. He´s also not very useful in the Sun Temple, but you have to use him at the first moments, and you have to Master Flame anyway. But, in the Dark Temple, don´t use him. Mysterious Man has weak resistance against Air (Sharla) and Fire(but you can use Sslenck)

Flag Post

Most people won’t use Donovan cause earlier he only gets the spells Flame and Remove Numbness and Sharla gets her Bolt and Remove Paralysis and Null Air once(which is useful against Stunner!) and Agility Boost works well with Evasion 20% and you can use it to make an ally acts twice before the Mystery man,but only once and he has to act in where the mystery man acts after Sharla so i hope it’s not confusing but it should work only on anyone whose agility is 13 or lower because mystery man has that amount of agility and enemy acts before anyone who has the same or lower agility than him and also he won’t counter-attack Fire Breath but Sslen’ck won’t use it if numbed(despite you being able to select it,Sslen’ck will only shake red and lose his turn,like stun would do if worked but you shake yellow in that case).

Flag Post

Donovan would be always useful against undead but you have other allies for that and Strength Boost would be useful if you didn’t have Power Drink.

Flag Post

The most natural setup for me was Elweyn/Gloria/Sslenck until I get Legion then replace Sslenck for Legion. Mereador seems… “artificial” to me somehow, even though admittedly Potion Spray and Flamethrower seem potentially overpowered, and repairing Legion seems great also. Solaar as a replacement for Gloria is also a possibility. Zach “gets good” I guess if you killed tons with him, but honestly I see no “need” for Zach… Donovan/Sharla , there is a reason you are given them by default at start of game and dont have to “earn” their admittance as party members… they suck more or less. Vehrn seems useless as well, you already have both Mardek and Solaar for that element.

Flag Post

For some reason, I like having Elwyen in my party. Probably because I like music.
My best combination is Elwyen, Gloria and either Mereador/Solaar/Sharla/Legion.
Elwyen has Runic Rhapsody, which could reduce magical damage in your party. If Elwyen has high enough SPR, then Runic Rhapsody is really useful during the fights with Karnos/Animus, as they use magic a lot. Gloria can null all 4 natural elements and has 4 nature-elemental spells. (If you haven’t got Null Air, Sharla is a bit useful.) Mereador has Sliver Mirror and Golden Mirror that can give Shields/M-Shields to everyone, and his best invention is Potion Spray, so he acts as a good support. Flamethrower, Gas-O-Matic and Drill-O-Matic are in my opinion the good choices. Solaar has a resurrection spell, so if you run out of PhoenixDowns/PhoenixPinions, he/she (I don’t know Solaar’s gender…) can still help. Sharla has Null Air Once, and Lightning Bolt too which will help in the Earth Temple…maybe(I haven’t do the Earth Temple yet), and also cure Confusion which is useful in Pixie battles where they use Fairy Dust. Legion is the best character in the game in my opinion. He has a BUNCH of HP and he also has the most spells, so as long as he has the right spells for the Temple/Miasmal Citadel/Wherever has monsters, he is super(YAY, PIXIES!) Donovan, in my thoughts, is the most useless character Two of his only “good stuff” are Strength Boost(This helps in the Fire Temple as Mardek’s Water Slash’s strength can increase a lot.) and Null Fire Once, but Gloria can do that instead.

Flag Post

Legion, Elwyn, Gloria, Legion has the most powerful and versatile moves in the game as well as the ability to do elemental damage that no one else can cause. Elwyns songs make the party powerful and cost nothing. And Gloria serves as both support and as an elemental Swiss army knife. All of them will take some time to build up their abilities first and for Legion you must do it before you kill all the demons and or major bosses as that’s how he gets his “ultimate” moves but all pay off in the long run.

Flag Post

You guys try to think only of the face value of each charater. You have to think how they synergise together. for example: Donovan is very useful when paired with Zach. Str boost + chereshendo strike rapes annihilator Kranos fairly quickly. Another example is Saolaar and Elwyen. The are great together since Elwyens songs are based off her spirit and Solaar spirit grafts Elwyen. When shes maxed on spirit her rhapsody negates all magic damage which you can use to beat the hardest boss in the game. I agree that there are better grinding teams. The team i used for most of the game was Mardek Gloria Elwyen and Legion. That is probably the best balance of healing, aoe magic damage, and physical damage you can get imo. Especially if you exploit ballade of balance, which imo is the best mob clearing spell in the game. But that team isn’t worth shit vs kranos nor the dream wolrd boss. So my advice to people who are trying to build a team is: build a team with a theme in mind. And don’t be afraid to switch it up since there are some characters that will be more useful in certain fights than others.

Flag Post

Meraedor and Legion are always together on my team. Depending on where I am, I may have either Vehrn, Gloria or Elwyen.

Meraedor and Legion are a fairly good combo. Meraedor can use his various inventions to support the whole team (potion spray) and right now he still has his thermal spanner to lower defence and stuff. Also, cause I don’t have anything else for him. But he can repair Legion making Legion almost unstoppable.

Mardek is usually the healer unless I am running with Gloria, but his elemental slashes are quite versatile.

Vehrn with his Smite + and Smite X can deal high amounts of damage. Only level 20 and he is doing 2k damage fairly reliably.

Gloria is a very versatile character on the defensive side with all elementaly nulls, party-wide healing and surprisingly was the first character in my game to hit 1k health.

Elwyen’s music is also very helpful for the team, but until I get more sheet music (only have about 4) I don’t see much use in her.

Flag Post

I literally beat the entire game using Elwyen, Gloria, and Legion, including the bonus bosses.

Flag Post

I used Vehrn, Sharla, and Gloria. Sharla using Thunderbolt and Vehrn using, well, anything once you’ve got Smite X do tons of damage, while Mardek and Gloria are good support with nulls, shields, barkskin, and healing. Sharla also doubles as support with Gust Shield if the enemies are strong against Air- def bonuses stack up really fast against bosses.