ELWYEN OR NOT TO ELWYEN- that´s the question

16 posts

Flag Post

Should I use Elwyen?
How powerful is she?

Flag Post

I just relized it, but she is VERY good. She can heal and attack and even boost attacks. I think you should put her in.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Willie11111:

…she is VERY good. She can heal and attack and even boost attacks. I think you should put her in.

Most people will say something along these lines, since Elwyen’s considered one of the best characters among the fanbase. I don’t particularly think she’s the greatest character ever, but many others do.

Flag Post

If you’re going to try to beat animus, I would use her. One of her moves lowers the power of magical attacks, which is all animus uses. Get her spirit at 100 (I recommend using Solaar’s Spirit Graft) and he literally cannot hurt you.

Flag Post
Originally posted by lazybum:

If you’re going to try to beat animus, I would use her. One of her moves lowers the power of magical attacks, which is all animus uses. Get her spirit at 100 (I recommend using Solaar’s Spirit Graft) and he literally cannot hurt you.

This is the strategy I first used when facing Animus. It worked well enough, but there’s still that uncertain bit for the first third of the battle or so, while you’re frantically spamming Spirit Graft and praying that Animus doesn’t kill off a couple of your party members (especially Solaar or Elwyen).

If you’re looking to be completely safe during the Animus fight, you don’t necessarily need to turn to Elwyen. You can, for instance, utilize Gloria’s Whirlpool to reduce Animus’ SPR, or you can do a lot of farming beforehand, mass-produce Rainbow Juice, and bring Meraeador with his Potion Spray. You could take Chimto up on his recommendation and fight Animus using only consumable items, if you wanted. You could even have a go at soloing the bastard, if you’re so inclined!

My point is this: Regardless of the strategy used, with the proper amount of preparation, you can beat allegedly-difficult bosses easily enough; Elwyen is not required to beat Animus any more than Sharla or Legion is.

Flag Post

Well, yes, she is good (ok, i ADMIT i HATE HER) and I am not using her in the temples. BUT! Is she advantagous against king and Qualna? because I didn´t really work with her since I got her. She is in level 9…

Flag Post
Originally posted by joanacnsa:

Well, yes, she is good (ok, i ADMIT i HATE HER) and I am not using her in the temples. BUT! Is she advantagous against king and Qualna? because I didn´t really work with her since I got her. She is in level 9…

If Elwyen is only level 9, then you should make sure she’s out of your party for the battle against the King. The King of Goznor can summon astral clones of playable characters not in your party (presumably they have to be recruited, however, so if you don’t shell out 10000 gold for Zach in Chapter III, he probably won’t show up), so having deliberately weak characters outside of your party is advantageous. As for Qualna…

SPOILERS:

You only get to use Mardek (or rather, Rohoph) in the battle against Qualna. Elwyen isn’t available to you at that time. She’s an enforced character for the real final battle (Zombie Actor), but you’re also temporarily given control of Aalia and Bartholio (and, of course, you have Mardek), so there’s no real reason to train her up or anything like that.

Flag Post

I dont like elwyen i wish we could play as Vennie in that battle as he would be at a certain level

Flag Post

Or we could like choose other 2 allies in the castle,that is,any except Sslen’ck and then before the fight we could set a party to fight the zombie.We could even take Bartholio and Aalia off the party if that were possible

Flag Post

Also the King will summon party members lvl 30 i remember so weak or strong chars dont matter

Flag Post

I’ve got a question, if Elwyen doesn´t equip any song, she can only attack right?

Flag Post

Oh, how silly of you. You can’t equip active skills like songs.

Flag Post

Well,

Silly? I mean, if you pick Elwyen up and don´t work with him during the whole game, you can´t master the songs!
Also, if you repair, her songs are equiped (yes, equiped) in the slot of “shield” so, if you take out her song/shield, she can´t simg any more, only attack with her harp, because you can´t unequip the weapon?

Get it, silly?

Flag Post

Elwyen is also good for farming because any monster killed with her songs gives maximum experience to all party members rather than half experience to members who did not kill.

Flag Post
Originally posted by joanacnsa:

Well,

Silly? I mean, if you pick Elwyen up and don´t work with him during the whole game, you can´t master the songs!
Also, if you repair, her songs are equiped (yes, equiped) in the slot of “shield” so, if you take out her song/shield, she can´t simg any more, only attack with her harp, because you can´t unequip the weapon?

Get it, silly?

No, it’s the sheet music, not the song itself, which is equipped. And what forbids you to master the songs?

Flag Post

At first elwyen seems week but when you have played a while you realise she’s really good. Especially when you find the music in the dream realm in Gondor. And don’t forget to give hear stuff that increases spr.