Gem 1 +/- 2
Gem 2 +/- 3
Gem 3 +/- 4
Gem 4 +/- 5
Gem 5 +/- 6
Gem 6 +/- 7

Flag Post

Even though this is outdated as of the Explosion, I’ll just leave this here:

The “ideal profit” is if you manage to buy at 10% and sell at 90%, though it doesn’t take into account the “loss” you take when selling. I really should’ve just renamed it, but meh, whatever. :p

Flag Post

Anyone working out the numbers for the new lolmarket?

Flag Post

I will once it’s actually here, no point to do so yet. But once the final version is released I’ll have a look at code and re-write the guide.

@etmoonshade: How is those prices at all ideal? I would lose SO much on doing that.

Flag Post

That’s what you would make if you buy at 10% and sell at 90% (roughly). It doesn’t mean sell at 50%.

Flag Post

Re: Aurian

Keep in mind, I originally made this chart for my own benefit and my own benefit only, so I kinda threw things in as I thought of them. ;)

The percentages along the top count the percentile the price falls into. So 0% is the absolute minimum price of a gem, while 100% is the absolute maximum.
The “Buy” and “Sell” lines are the areas where you’ll make some money. The bonus to buying at “30%” and selling at “70%” is that it seems you’re more likely to catch a gem below or above that range by randomly looking. Keep in mind, I don’t hover over the LOLMarket – I’ll flip over there once every hour or two when I’m “active.” I’ll obviously shoot for “wait ’til the price turns around” if I’m watching.
The ideal profit, as I mentioned above, is misnamed. It isn’t saying you should buy or sell at 50% – it’s saying that it’s probably not worth waiting for it to get higher if the profit is above this amount. A better name for it would probably be “best-case profit” although that’s misnamed as well – it’s theoretically possible to buy at 0% and sell at 100%, of course.

I also make the (probably) erroneous assumption that the prices run on a bell curve of sorts. In other words, I assume that the prices will tend towards the center of the range (the 50% mark,) meaning that it’s likely to take exponentially longer to get close to the 100% or 0% marks.

tl;dr version: The chart is more for information and estimation than an actual set of rules. It provides it in a nice, compact, and printable format, as shown below:

(That’s a picture of the chart taped up on my desk :p)

edit: I swear, this forum never does what I actually want it to do with formatting. _

edit 2: @first edit: FFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFFUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUU- see what I mean? >_<

Flag Post
Originally posted by rcktzr:

That’s what you would make if you buy at 10% and sell at 90% (roughly). It doesn’t mean sell at 50%.

It’s wrong on so many levels I don’t even know where to start. It’s nowhere near possible to buy the higher lvl gems at a 10% price nor sell at 90% price. You can’t pick a specific % and do that for all gems because your profit will be severely capped. For example on the image the price for lvl 6 is quite reasonable at 30%, but for lvl 1 it’s a joke. Also the image is confusing, the more I look at it the less I understand what it’s trying to tell me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aurian:
Originally posted by rcktzr:

It’s wrong on so many levels I don’t even know where to start. It’s nowhere near possible to buy the higher lvl gems at a 10% price nor sell at 90% price. You can’t pick a specific % and do that for all gems because your profit will be severely capped. For example on the image the price for lvl 6 is quite reasonable at 30%, but for lvl 1 it’s a joke. Also the image is confusing, the more I look at it the less I understand what it’s trying to tell me.

And this is why I use it for a guideline, not a hard and fast rule. ;)

That being said, using this chart, I’ve caught all six types of gem under the 20% mark (and caught the level 5s under 10%) as well as over the 80% mark. It’s not the fastest way to make money, of course, but it works if you can’t pay attention to it all day.

Flag Post

I didn’t see your long post before writing that, seems you posted it while I was writing my own post. Now that you semi-explained it, I do get more your train of thoughts, and I guess it’s a fairly good strategy if one doesn’t check in more often than every 1-2 hours.

I have to admit I find it very hard to believe you’ve seen all six gems below 20% mark without checking in often enough as to buy lolmarket control as soon as it’s available. And if you really did, then you are one hell of a lucky person since it’s highly improbable to happen even with lolmarket control.

Flag Post

heh heh
I’ve actually had relatively poor luck with the control. >_> The prices always seem to start shooting back up before I get the next shot at buying it.

And that’s not to say I’ve seen gems below 20% often – only to say that I’ve seen it before. And I didn’t mean that I saw all six of them below 20% at the same time – I meant on seperate occasions. :)

Flag Post

I figured that, but it’s very rare to see lvl 5 and 6 gems below 20%. I am constantly working on getting things a slow as I can for the fun of it, and I don’t think I’ve ever seen it despite buying control the second it’s available. So yeah, you are very lucky.

Flag Post

I have a question, how often does the lolmarket update? All three guides I’ve found have referenced updates but never said hw often it happens.

Flag Post
Originally posted by goodguys8:

I have a question, how often does the lolmarket update? All three guides I’ve found have referenced updates but never said hw often it happens.

It’s random. Can be anywhere from 1/40 of a second from previous update, to never.

Flag Post

Holy necro batman.

The LOLmarket seems to update at random intervals, at least for me. I remember seeing it update three times in the span of 30 seconds.

Flag Post
Originally posted by goodguys8:

It has a chance to do so with every frame, how high that chance is depends on your FPS. The higher the FPS the lower the chance, basically regardless of your FPS you have the same chance because of the correlation between %-chance and speed of frames.

Double Ninja, sort of.

Flag Post

bumping for refference

Flag Post
Originally posted by TheChaosNinja:

You don’t need to bump this. You can find the link in the sticky guide thread.

Flag Post

If you are going to quote, at least quote something that makes sense.

Rologue, this guide is HORRIBLY out-dated. As you can see from the screen shots, the lolmarket was completely different when it was made. It can still somewhat explain how you should think, but it’s more likely to confuse players, and therefore it’s not a good idea to bump it. I see you also bumped the new one, which is less out-dated.

I would be grateful if this topic was locked, to prevent further bumping.