[Guide] Post-Explosion LolMarket

83 posts

Flag Post

With the explosion we got a brand new LolMarket with a number of new features. Here's how it works. This guide assumes a basic understanding of how the LolMarket works. If you have no idea, have a read of this pre-explosion guide. Although the interface is changed the concepts are the same.

Controlling the Market

Here's what the buttons in the Control Market tab do. Once you select a button there is a 10 minute cooldown before you can change the demand again.

• Increase Demand: increases the demand of all gems by 5
  • Decrease Demand: decreases the demand of all gems by 5
  • Randomize Demand: changes the demand of each gem by either -10 or +10 (there is no in-between)

How Price and Demand Change

The LolMarket has a 7% chance to update every second. When it updates, a process occurs which changes demand based on various factors. The technical analysis is below, but what generally happens is that the gem prices will stay between 1000 x gem level and 2000 x gem level, and demand will stay between -15 and 15 most of the time. The minimum price for gems is 450 x gem level and the maximum price is 2550 x gem level, but don't wait for gems to get to their min or max price because it will rarely happen.

Technical Details

1. New price = Current price + Current demand
  2. The new demand is calculated according to the following equation:
    (random number between -1 and 1) * (gem level / 3 + 2)
    This results in the following possibilities for demand change:
    • Level 1: anywhere from +2 to -2
    • Level 2, 3, 4: anywhere from +3 to -3
    • Level 5, 6, 7: anywhere from +4 to -4
    • Level 8, 9, 10: anywhere from +5 to -5
  3. If the new price of the gem is less than 1000 * gem level, increase the demand by the gem level (level 1 gem demand will go up by 1, level 2 gem demand will go up by 2, etc.)
  4. If the new price of the gem is more than 2000 * gem level, decrease the demand by the gem level.
  5. If the Demand Master card is active, there is a 30% chance of the following happening (the chance is calculated separately for each gem level, so some gems might change demand whereas others won't):
    • If you have at least one gem, increase demand by 1
    • If you have zero gems, decrease demand by 1
  6. If you've maxed the Gem Trader career, there is a 15% chance of the following happening (see note above):
  7. There is a 2.5% chance of the following happening (once again, see note above):
  8. If the demand is over 15, decrease the demand by (gem level / 2 + 1), rounded up.
    • Level 1, 2: -2
    • Level 3, 4: -3
    • Level 5, 6: -4
    • Level 7, 8: -5
    • Level 9, 10: -6
  9. If the demand is under -15, increase the demand by the same formula above.
  10. If the demand is over 40, decrease the demand by the gem level.
  11. If the demand is under -40, increase the demand by the gem level.

Other Notes

• The prices referred to in this guide are the buy prices: sell prices are always 93% of the buy price.
  • More information about the Gem Trader career can be found in this excellent guide.
  • This guide is correct as of v1406.
  • The guide itself was last updated on May 23rd, 2011.

Flag Post

Nice guide, found it helpful!

also semi-bump for others :)

Flag Post

Thanks for the guide! It’ll be pretty useful.

Flag Post

would it be possible to make an easy to use quick-reference chart for the post-explosion lolmarket? I used one for the pre-explosion lolmarket and made literally a million green coins, it’d be nice to have a chart like that.

Flag Post

Something like this?

One thing I’ve noticed is that the new LolMarket is considerably less dynamic than the old LolMarket: it wasn’t at all uncommon to see demands of +/- 40 pre-explosion but now you’re lucky to see it get outside of +/- 20. The Demand Master card used to be quite helpful but now it’s incredibly weak for the price that it costs. Essentially this means you’ll get smaller profits less often.

I can’t confirm any of this for sure since I don’t have the formulas for the LolMarket pre-explosion but it’s the general vibe I’ve been getting. Maybe I’m just doing it wrong.

Flag Post

Very nice guide. Glad someone did it, now I can relax. Also have to say I appreciate the links to my guides, nice thought of you =)

One question though.

If the new price of the gem is less than 1000 * gem level, increase the demand by the gem level (level 1 gem demand will go up by 1, level 2 gem demand will go up by 2, etc.)

It used to be that the range was moved up a notch but it could still vary. Is it really a set number now? As in, it will ALWAYS go up 1 on level 1 gem if it’s below/above the threshold?

Unless there was a new nerf since my last refresh I still think demand master is OP. I’m not playing the game at all. All I do is check in once every 5 hours for my gems, that’s it and I still gain more BC than I spend on autoharvest and demand master. But I do realize that differs greatly on level, so I guess my perspective is off. Perhaps Tukkun should find a way to balance it so all levels gain equal amounts.

Flag Post

“don’t wait for gems to get to their min or max price because it will rarely happen.”
Thats why we can buy the demand master card. Demand master+full knowlegde of maximum and minimum values generate complete effect of the LolMarket. Very useful both guide and feature. :)

Flag Post

Very nice guide. Glad someone did it, now I can relax. Also have to say I appreciate the links to my guides, nice thought of you =)

No point in duplicating good work! Makes it easier for me as well :P

One question though.

If the new price of the gem is less than 1000 * gem level, increase the demand by the gem level (level 1 gem demand will go up by 1, level 2 gem demand will go up by 2, etc.)

It used to be that the range was moved up a notch but it could still vary. Is it really a set number now? As in, it will ALWAYS go up 1 on level 1 gem if it’s below/above the threshold?

Yep.

Unless there was a new nerf since my last refresh I still think demand master is OP. I’m not playing the game at all. All I do is check in once every 5 hours for my gems, that’s it and I still gain more BC than I spend on autoharvest and demand master. But I do realize that differs greatly on level, so I guess my perspective is off. Perhaps Tukkun should find a way to balance it so all levels gain equal amounts.

I must admit I didn’t look into things like blue coins so I could be wrong (and given what you’ve said I am almost certainly wrong). I’ll have a look at it a bit later.

Flag Post

v1395: the obvious change is the countdown for the demand buttons being lowered from 30 minutes to 10 minutes, however there has been one other change: a new step has been added in the update process (the new step 7 in the first post).

Flag Post

According to your guide, the lvl10 gem should be often at 10k and at 20k (and very rarely at 4500 and 25500) but for me it never came ouside of [13k-16k]…
Also, the lvl1 gem is often at 800 or 900, but never above 2000
I fear your formulas are not valid anymore…

Flag Post

Where does it say it should “often” be at those prices? If anything it says that it can reach those, which it can, if you do it right.

Fairly certain his guide is up to date.

Flag Post

What are the Max Gem capacities? i would love to see a chart, and is there a hard cap?

Flag Post
Originally posted by torcherboy10:

What are the Max Gem capacities? i would love to see a chart, and is there a hard cap?

Max gem capacity is at 99.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Clamburger:

1. New Price = Current price + Current demand

I’m rather certain that it should be “New Price = Current Price + New Demand”.
Nice guide!
EDIT: sorry I was wrong. Confused that with pre-Explosion =.=

Flag Post

No, that wouldn’t really make sense and it doesn’t work like that in game.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Anaroyondo:

According to your guide, the lvl10 gem should be often at 10k and at 20k (and very rarely at 4500 and 25500) but for me it never came ouside of [13k-16k]…

As he said, the guide is correct as of v1395 and updated last on May 23rd, 2011. This guide is not to be followed. Tukkun changed the Market alot. :|

Flag Post
Originally posted by Waterrat600:

As he said, the guide is correct as of v1395 and updated last on May 23rd, 2011. This guide is not to be followed. Tukkun changed the Market alot. :|

Originally posted by Waterrat600:

The formulas have not changed since v1395.

Flag Post

Is that chart based on buy prices or sell prices?

Flag Post

Buy prices

Flag Post

What (sry for (maybe) stupid question) does the demand master card do? i used it and nothing happened

Flag Post
Originally posted by Clamburger:

Technical Details

5. If the Demand Master card is active, there is a 30% chance of the following happening (the chance is calculated separately for each gem level, so some gems might change demand whereas others won’t):

I don’t quite recall if it’s every update or if it’s every 5 minutes, memory fails me. Either way, it makes a huge difference. Without it you won’t be able to effectively use the higher level gems, and the lower levels will take much longer due to more fluctuation in demand.

Flag Post

How long does the demand card last? I assume its 24hrs, but is that from when you activate it, until its midnight for you, or does it expire at some set time each day?

Flag Post

Is the market manipulation a fire-and-forget instant effect that just adds/subtracts to the current demand with no long-term effects, or is it a semi-permanent modifier that lasts until the 10 minutes run out / until you select a different option. If the latter, which one is it?

Flag Post

@hpmons It lasts until midnight if you are not idling, if you are idling it lasts until 9am.

@Quizer Adds or subtracts demand with no lasting effects.

Flag Post

@Arch_Gremlin’s response to hpmons: How is determined what idling and anti-idling is for this purpose? Can I ‘cheat’ and extend the duration by starting to idle as midnight approaches?