Technical issues guide

81 posts

Flag Post

This is a short FAQ/guide with help on how to solve technical issues related to the game. I figured I would collect all the information in one thread so that it’s easier to find when someone has a problem.

If there is anything you feel is missing, do let me know. If you have the solution include it, but it’s fine either way, if I can find one then I’ll add it.

Content

- Game won’t run in the background
- The game won’t register key input
- How to move your savefile from one computer to another
- Lost savefile restoration

Game won’t run when I minimize the window or play a fullscreen game

This is due to an update flash did to reduce lag from ads and games in the background, which unfortunately screws over idle games. Luckily Abra, who made grindquest, has found a solution.

Step 1. Download the file required here.
(Note! If you want to you can follow the instructions by Abra in the link above, I’ve uploaded the file for those who aren’t too used to computers)

Step 2. Find out if your operating system is 32 or 64 bit. If you are unsure, open control panel and double click system. You can also go through start menu and clicking on “Computer”, then in that window right clicking and selecting properties.

Step 3A) If you are using a 32 bit system, you need to go a folder called System32. This is located in your Windows folder, so go to Computer → C: → Windows (It may be called WinDir) → System 32 → Macromed → Flash

Step 3B) If you are using a 64 bit system, you need to go a folder called SysWOW64. This is located in your Windows folder, so go to Computer → C: → Windows (It may be called WinDir) → SysWOW64 → Macromed → Flash

Step 4. Copy the file called mms.cfg to this folder.

Step 5. Re-open your browser and AI, it should now run when in the background.

NOTE! If you have the Macromed/Flash folders in both System32 and SysWOW64, you have different browsers that use difference sections, so you must place the mmm.cfg file in both places.

Mac users: The file mms.cfg should be located in MainDisk:Library:Application Support:Macromedia

The game won’t register key input

If you are experiencing this error, you are most likely using google chrome as your browser. A recent update of chrome resulted in certain flash games not registering all key inputs. You can either switch browser, or try the following fix:

Step 1. Click the image of the spanner in the top right corner (the tool thingy), and select options.

Step 2. Go to the tab called “Under the hood”.

Step 3. Click the button called “Content settings”

Step 4. Under the section called plugin programs there should be a clickable link called something like “deactivate individual program plugins”. Click it.

Step 5. You need to deactivate the one that looks something like this:

Photobucket

It’s important that you deactivate the one called gcswf32.dll, if you deactivate the other one you won’t be able to run the game. If you do find that the game tells you to install flash it’s because you deactivated both, so you need to go back and activate the second one.

Step 6. Restart your browser, the game should now recognize key inputs.

I didn’t find this fix myself, but I’m not sure who originally did so I can’t properly credit, but to whomever it was, thanks for sharing!

I want to play the game on a different computer, how do I move my savefile?

It’s quite easy, if you know how to. First of all you need to locate your savefile on the original computer. If you are unsure how to do that, I suggest you take a look in my backup guide.
(Note! If you are a mac user, or use an older version of windows you need to take a look in the official FAQ)

Step 1. Email the savefile to yourself

Step 2. Open up AI on the new computer, start a new game on the same savefile slot as you used before. Save and exit.

Step 3. Locate this new savefile on the second computer, suggestively using the same method as you used before. Keep in mind if this one has a different operating system the savefile will have a different location.

Step 4. Get your old file from your email, and then copy it into the chat.kongregate.com folder on the new computer. You will be asked if you want to replace the current file, select yes. Done!

I lost my savefile for whatever reason, what can I do?

NOTE! The solution offered here only works on Windows 7.

First of all you should figure out why you lost your savefile. Getting it back won’t help if it’s going to be deleted again. Common reasons for savefile being deleted is limited storage capacity for flash (To fix, right click on the game and select properties, and set storing to unlimited) and antivirus program clearing out cookies (either turn this off, or have it not touch the folder chat.kongregate.com). However your save file can also be lost in the sense that it got corrupted, or deleted for some other reason than the ones listed above. The absolute best way to deal with this is to frequently back up your file (Once again, take a look here). But when this happens your latest backup may be really outdated, or you hadn’t done one, and then a file restoration could recover some of your progress.

IMPORTANT! Make a backup of the file before you do this, because once you did there is no way back, so in case something goes wrong you’ll want to have a backup.

Step 1. If your file was deleted and is now gone, open the game and make a new savefile on the same slot as the old one, save and exit the game. If it corrupted, then skip to next step.

Step 2. Locate the savefile in chat.kongregate.com folder, and right click it. Select properties.

Step 3. Go to the tab called something like “previous versions”. It should look something like this:

Photobucket

Step 4. Click the most recent version of the file, and when it asks you if you are sure you want to, say yes.

This will not always work, and as I said it only seems to be a feature in Windows 7, but it’s worth a try if you did lose your file.

Finally, I want to once again urge how important it is that you

BACKUP YOUR SAVEFILE!

You never know when something might happen, backing up takes 30 seconds, getting everything back if you lose your file will take much longer. Also, don’t just save it on your computer, if your harddrive crashes you are still screwed. The best option would be to email the file to yourself regularily, but saving it on an external harddrive such as a usb memory stick also works. The most important thing is that you DO backup.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask! =)

If anyone who has their computer set to english could make new screenshots for the two images used I would be infinitely grateful.

Flag Post

Reserved in case I need it later on.

Flag Post

I have a little problem, I CAN’T FIND MY SAVEFILE!!! WHAT CAN I DOOO!?

Flag Post

Path for XP: C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\
Path for Vista: C:\Users\****\AppData\Roaming\Macromedia\Flash Player\#SharedObjects\
Path for Mac OS X: /Users/****/Library/Preferences/Macromedia/Flash Player/#SharedObjects/
Path for Linux: /home/your user name/.macromedia/Flash_Player/#SharedObjects

does that help?

Flag Post
Originally posted by charlie12520:

I have a little problem, I CAN’T FIND MY SAVEFILE!!! WHAT CAN I DOOO!?

Sigh. That question is actually answered, but I guess I’ll actually have to make a separate paragraph just about that. Also, you have to tell us your operating system or we can’t help.

Flag Post

For mms.cfg with Win 32bits:
I checked on my computer, I didn’t put the file in ….\system32 but in ….\system32\Macromed\Flash. Are you sure about your paths?

For the chrome issue:
Note that this bug has been reported and fixed at least in the dev versions of Chrome, so if the fix has not been released yet, it should be present in the next upgrade. :-)

calvindang:
Note that on Windows, you should be able replace the part “C:\Documents and Settings\****\Application Data” with “%APPDATA%”. Same as replacing “/home/your user name” with “~” on Linux (if you didn’t change it of course).

Flag Post

I was half asleep when I wrote it, it’s very possible that I forgot part of the path. Kinda busy atm, I’ll look it over later.

Flag Post

For chrome, rather than disabling the flash sandbox, it’s better that you switch over to the beta channel (where an update has been posted) – then switch back, if you want. To switch back, just download the stable version again. It’s likely the update itself will be posted to the stable channel soon enough, but if you want it now, switch to beta.

Beta channel

Flag Post

I use a vista and I’m kinda confused, by the **** part and also when I do click on the name or the other file, it doesn’t bring up Appdata

UNLESS the HP is actually a XP

Flag Post

go on faq>user made guides> my bakking up guide(my guide. its pretty simple and is made for computer stupid ppl like me)
EDIT: nvm its sticked, just click on usermade guids and hit backing up

Flag Post
Originally posted by FalzarPMU:

I use a vista and I’m kinda confused, by the **** part and also when I do click on the name or the other file, it doesn’t bring up Appdata

I’m sorry, I don’t follow on what your problem is. Can you try be more specific? What do you mean with the “****” part? O_O

Flag Post

That’s the windows user your logged in as assuming your referring to calvindang’s post

Flag Post

I am PbookR But when I click the name, it doesn’t bring up Appdata

Flag Post

I am PbookR But when I click the name, it doesn’t bring up Appdata

It’s a hidden folder, it won’t show up usually. Why don’t you have a go at the guide linked from the original post? It has tips on how to find it if you are having trouble.

Flag Post

Thanks Aurian, I found it, but my next question now is how can I email it to myself?

Flag Post

Good, glad you found it. Right click the file and select copy, then right click your desktop (background image) and select paste. Go to your email, and write your own email adress in the box and then add the file you saved to your desktop.

Flag Post

Not going to be able to send it cause my email doesn’t use the proper type of HTTP or that thing, so it’s going to sit in my computer :c (Deleted)

Flag Post

Not going to be able to send it cause my email doesn’t use the proper type of HTTP or that thing, so it’s going to sit in my computer :c (If anyone can help I use a hotmail, and its ****)

thats a sort of confusing reply, i dont see why HTTP comes into it. all you have to do is attacht the file to the email. click the paper clip, then navigate to your file in the pop up window? got it?

also do you really want to give your email out to everyone? some programs can farm email adresses from forums…

Flag Post

I was thinking there might be a part of it that you would need my email, cause I suck at computer programming, etc
And also when I choose to add it there is a message saying that the email that I’m using supports HTTP or something like that so I’m unable to attach it to my email

Flag Post

I was thinking there might be a part of it that you would need my email, cause I suck at computer programming, etc
And also when I choose to add it there is a message saying that the email that I’m using supports HTTP or something like that so I’m unable to attach it to my email

Your email is not needed, i recommend you edit your post to remove it.

Try attaching a word document or picture that you have on your computer to the email and sending that to yourself. If that works then anti idle will work…it sounds like you might be trying to email a link to the file instead of the file itself?

Flag Post

Wait am I supposed to compress and send, or just send? (Using WinRAR)

Flag Post

No, you are not supposed to compress. Just copy the file to your desktop like I said, and click “attach file” when writing the email in hotmail and navigate to desktop, then click the file and add it.

Flag Post

Oh alright, I’ve done it but then what would I do say I lose the file on my desktop, would there be a button to upload it onto my desktop?

Flag Post

You need to take a basic class in computers, for your own good.

You will be able to download the file from the email as many times as you would like. Note you have to actually leave the email in your inbox, if you delete it then naturally you cant.

Flag Post

Somehow i have a strange problem with my savefile and i though it would be best to post here instead of creating a new topic.
Since i sometimes play the game on another computer i always make a copy on my memory stick to move the file between both computers. Today when i came home i replaced my old file with the file from the memory stick and started the game without any problems. A bit later when i wasn’t in the game i run a software to clean my computer a bit and forgot to tell it to leave the flash files alone so i had to use the file from my memory stick again. But for whatever reason it starts a new game where i have lost everything except the archievements because those are still there just all the other things are gone. I honestly have no idea why the file from my memory stick sudgenly doesn’t work anymore and hope that maybe someone can help me