Anyone up for a survey?

9 posts

Flag Post

Hey everyone, for my phenomenology class I chose to write my final paper on the phenomenology of online gaming because it is something I enjoy a lot and can write extensively about. I am breaking online gaming down into 3 categories and one of these categories is Single Player games with a community. This extends to all of kongregate but since this is the only game I play a lot here I am using Anti-idle as my example for this category.
I was wondering if you guys would mind answering a few questions the best you can in order to help me out. It is possible I will be using similar answers to reinforce facts in my paper.

1)When playing Anti-idle, what is it that keeps you coming back for more? (community, updates, features of the gameplay) Please elaborate the best you can. For example, I love any game with upgrades and levels, but the community is a big deal to me for advice and ideas.

2)What do you enjoy about the anti-idle community? Please use detail

3)How much is the community a part of your experience with anti-idle?

4)What would change about anti-idle if the community was removed? Is it possible that you may lose interest in the game much faster if this happened?

If you have made it this far THANKS FOR READING AND THANKS FOR YOUR ANSWERS!

TL;DNR: Answer these questions please.

Flag Post

1) Primarily, updates, frequent updates keep coming for more, secondarily, progress, a las Farmville, the endless grind has a great deal of sense of acomplishment

2) The discussions between the long-timers, being a long-timer myself (though not very active), I enjoy reading the post of people with similar levels of experience with the game (not in-game experience though, I fall way too short in that one)

3) Pretty much 80% of it, while the updates and grinding keep me coming, without a community so rich this game would be a utter bore (the funniest part is when a grumpy old-timer answers a newbie question, I can’t help but imagine a condescending tone and a thick british acent (IDK why though)

4)I would probably quit if people such as Aurian or Draconi or Psychoticgnome left (all at the same time, if one quits I would not quit, this happened when Shinki “left”), if all the community features (forum, chat) disapeared I w ould probably stop playing

To sum this up the game is enjoyable but without a community it would get boring fast

Flag Post

1) Features of gameplay: still trying to get last 8 achievements and trying to complete other aspects of game (currently working on bestiary and mastering invisible allies).

2) Being able to compare my scores to others. Also the forum is helpful.

3) Around 25%. I check forum several times throughout the day and post once in awhile. Also check the high scores list. I rarely check the chatroom.

4) I’m not really that active in the community so I would probably continue to play. The thing I would miss the most would be the high scores list.

Flag Post

1.) I always come back because there is always something to work up to, and you are never finished, plus with all the updates, there is always something new to master. There is always someone better then you, and you want to catch up to them.
2.) I enjoy looking at the threads of noobs, but mostly of those who know what they are doing so I can learn. Reading posts from people who are more knowlegable then me is a great way to learn. Also occasionally helping some noobs can be fun time from time.
3.) I think around 70-75% because there would be no one to get help or to help, no knowing funny and nice people, no way to know Shinkis Juggernaut armor build.
4.) If chat and forums were destroyed, it try and play for another week or two, but eventually I would end up leaving because it would become boring to just grind with no one to talk to.

Flag Post

EDIT: 2000th post.

1) What keeps me coming back for the most part is knowing that there is always a new goal to work for, even after you think you’ve done everything. Another reason that I come back is the fact that the creator of the game is an active part of his own community, and he frequently listens to player suggestions as he updates the game.

2) I enjoy having a community to collaborate and share ideas with, and I like being able to compete with others. The competitive aspect of the community motivates me to come up with new strategies and new ways to optimize my gameplay.

3) I would say that the community is about 85% of my anti-idle experience. I check the forum often to see what interesting things the community has done, and to see what Tukkun is planning for future updates. I’m almost always in room #1 now, and I usually help noobs with their questions (unless they are extremely stupid ones). The forums are also a great source for guides, especially on newer features.

4) In the situation that the forums and the chat got deleted and nothing was left but the game and the occasional invisible update, I probably wouldn’t continue playing for much longer. I would basically finish off all of my current goals and then stop completely. Without anyone to help, compete against, or get information from, my motivation to play the game would be reduced to almost nothing and my accomplishments would have little to no purpose.

Flag Post

1)When playing Anti-idle, what is it that keeps you coming back for more?

First and foremost, community. The game itself is obviously contributing, but without that I would have lost interest eventually. But then again I wouldn’t be interested in the community without the game being interesting on it’s own. What I like about the game is that there are so many things to do, depending on mood you can work on a variety of things. There are a lot of achievements, both the actual ones and things you can make up for yourself. I like working towards tasks, so that appeals to me. And last but not least, there are a lot of things to discuss, and also a lot that confuses people. I love helping, and here I get a chance to. And also to discuss strategies and whatnot with other players.

2)What do you enjoy about the anti-idle community?

One big part of it is that this game will attract others like me, that like to work towards goal. I’ve found several people here that I’ve become very good friends with, and that I really enjoy talking to. But also what I mentioned above, that I am able to help people out with different things. And thirdly, people here are usually very friendly, and prone to discussion. The period I did chat, I got into a bunch of interesting discussions about things, and got a whole lot of help with physics when I needed xD

3)How much is the community a part of your experience with anti-idle?

Very very big part of it. I’d say it’s maybe 70% community, 30% game.

4)What would change about anti-idle if the community was removed?

Everything. I would not be playing this still without the community, so it would definitely make me lose interest a lot faster. This was very clear to me when the community took a turn for the worse a while back, and I lose interest to the point of nearly quitting.

Edited: Is very amused by post below =P Thumbs up for writing guys and girls :D

Flag Post

1)The updates, and grind. Also the forum. Grinding is grinding is grinding is fun.

2)Everyone has a say, anyone can ask anything and there are nice guys and girls (winks at Aurian) to respond and help you out.

3)Less than 20-25% of it.

4)EVERYTHING.

Flag Post
Originally posted by arit3:

1)The updates, and grind. Also the forum. Grinding is grinding is grinding is fun.

2)Everyone has a say, anyone can ask anything and there are nice guys and girls (winks at Aurian) to respond and help you out.

3)Less than 20-25% of it.

4)EVERYTHING.

Your answer to number 4 is fair, however it doesn’t seem to sync up very well with your answer from 3. Your answer is still appreciated of course.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator