New players are not very smart (and this is okay) page 2

46 posts

Flag Post

Aha =) Makes sense. I figured it was something of that sort, once I realized the delete was too quick to be a moderator. Now that you mention it I did get a badge just to be sure, so I got lucky =)

Flag Post

Today I Have Learned About Kongregate Forum Moderators.

Anyway, what I said is still how I feel about it. Being polite and informative to people who make repeat threads/whatever else is a thing you should do even if it is hard.

Flag Post

well… the alternative is to ignore them.
Don’t think that’s going to help these people… they will probably start raging because they are ignored.

answering everything and staying in a good mood… that’s not going to happen

EDIT: you can still give a grumpy answer that helps.. but there are different lvl’s … the fora aren’t the place to release your anger ofc

Flag Post

I skimmed the first half of this, and there’s valid points flying left right and center that I’m not going to touch at the moment because I’m sleepy and trying to phrase some thoughts the way I want them to come across takes too much mental energy at the moment.

But I think one of the biggest problems is that Kongregate search is “not very good”, to use a less-inflammatory phrase than how I really feel. And figuring out that site:kong/forum/anti-idle works is extremely non-obvious, and finding and reading the thread that explains “here’s how to actually search the forum” is also really tricky in the mountain of stickies the forum has (I’m fairly convinced that when you get to around 7 or 8 things in a list, people completely change their perception of the list itself and comprehension of the items within gets completely phoned in).

As a corollary, so many things in this game are so similarly non-obvious that all the veteran players who are used to thinking in that manner say “well yeah, but that’s to be expected” on some level. Anti-Idle is very different from most games, so people used to those are likely to wander in and get immediately chalked up as “he just doesn’t get it,” because, well frankly they probably aren’t going to get the game on the same level as people who can read between the lines and in the dark corners and are willing and able to scour for data that they can leverage to some small advantage. Because, that’s ultimately one of the core elements of this game?

Okay yeah this is getting rambly / stream-of-consciousness-y.

tl;dr: Kong search sucks so new players repeat extremely basic questions like cracker-addict parrots.

Shorter: Seriously, Kong search sucks (why aren’t they using Google internally)

Edit:

Originally posted by Pixieeee:

Anyway, what I said is still how I feel about it. Being polite and informative to people who make repeat threads/whatever else is a thing you should do even if it is hard.

Playing devil’s advocate here, being politely tolerant of rude/snippy answers or unhelpfulness is also a thing you should do even if it is hard. Also consider: people who provide rude answers to stupid questions feel insulted by stupid questions. Asking obvious questions that have been answered dozens of times on the front page of the forum, on the forum, where in the forum rules, which they didn’t bother to read, it states that you should ask simple questions in the appropriate existing threads, strikes people who are aware of these rules as completely disrespectful.

Disclaimer: I’m not advocating anything there, I’m just trying to offer perspective to what people might think. Because, everyone could use more perspective. Everyone. Always.

Being nice to people on the internet in general is a good idea.

Edit again: (good god I need to stop writing)

It’s also deeply steeped in Anti-Idle culture that one should read as much as possible on one’s own before adding to the discussion by asking questions. So, there’s no excuse for missing the rules, because clearly, you should read them first. Note that this isn’t, well, written down anywhere. So 1) god help you, and 2) take my guess here with a pile of salt.

Flag Post

Oh! Yes! Sorry, my opinion is that IF YOU ARE GOING TO REPLY TO A PERSON who etc, etc, you should be polite and informative. Not responding is a great option, one I would suggest if the alternative is being rude.

Anyway, you don’t have to be in a good mood. You just don’t have a right to take it out on them. If they rage because you didn’t respond, just report and move on, right?

Flag Post

The only thing I have to say to this: why do we have to try so hard to be nice when they can’t try hard to look for the information, which is usually right in front of them anyways?

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

The only thing I have to say to this: why do we have to try so hard to be nice when they can’t try hard to look for the information, which is usually right in front of them anyways?

If you don’t want to be nice, don’t say anything. If you’re going to voluntarily offer aid or choose to respond to something, it isn’t fair to them to be rude. Also: I think you guys think there’s a lot more “lazy people spam” than there actually is? Like, yeah, it’s there. But a lot of it is from people who actually don’t know better or actually are lost or confused and don’t know where to go/look. And a lot of the time you CAN’T tell these people apart.

Being polite isn’t actually very hard, and just ignoring them is super easy.

Flag Post
If you don’t want to be nice, don’t say anything. If you’re going to voluntarily offer aid or choose to respond to something, it isn’t fair to them to be rude. Also: I think you guys think there’s a lot more “lazy people spam” than there actually is? Like, yeah, it’s there. But a lot of it is from people who actually don’t know better or actually are lost or confused and don’t know where to go/look. And a lot of the time you CAN’T tell these people apart.

Being polite isn’t actually very hard, and just ignoring them is super easy.

I’m going to stop trying to be even-handed here: You’re being sanctimonious, and a touch patronizing. It is not very becoming.

Flag Post

I’m really sorry. I’m not trying to say I’m excellent and everybody who’s played AI more than a week is an ass, or anyone who gets annoyed at repeat threads is a bad person. I’m really not.

Ya’ll had your community virtually overrun by new people who don’t know jack about the game, and (worse) nothing about forum etiquette. This is really annoying and tiring and it feels shitty to have someone come in and tell you you don’t get to be upset, they’re doing nothing wrong, and if you do anything less than be perfectly saintly in your replies you’re bad and you should feel bad. Which is totally how I sound. And I’m sorry.

I have super strong feelings about the etiquette of handling forum faux pas. I have even stronger feelings about being nice to people who are just trying to learn, which was my original reason for making this thread. I feel really, really strongly that it isn’t okay to be rude to these people.

I’m not trying to say I don’t think you guys can be upset or annoyed or irritated about them, but rather to express these things to each other, rather than to the people themselves. A lot of these people don’t know to look for repeat threads, or [insert other reasons for not knowing other than being lazy, stupid], and being rude to them isn’t fair. Anyways, if they’re actually lazy and stupid, being rude won’t fix anything.

Like, clearly you guys can do whatever you want and act however you want and I can’t come in here and say you have to listen to me and do what I say. I just get really upset about people being mean.

Flag Post

Really, the search feature isn’t really that good if you can’t even search for a certain thread.

I agree with this thread and I always was nice to newbies asking questions.

Flag Post

The fact that you keep calling people stupid really bothers me.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

The fact that you keep calling people stupid really bothers me.

Unsure if you’re referring to me – if so, I’ve used the word stupid in the context that other people brought it up. I don’t actually think these people are stupid. apologies.

Flag Post

I really think you guys are overreacting about kongs internal search. I haven’t even been bothered with google yet, because every time i have searched, the internal one has given me the answer. I know its shitty, but it’s not like it’s unusable. It’s totally warranted to not be nice when they haven’t even tried.

I also totally agree with Advocatus latest post.

Flag Post

Am I the only one who has never been offended by something someone said on the forum? I rarely even come across something that I interpret as a rude comment/answer. For instance, I had no idea what prompted this thread when I saw it. My impression of people’s reactions to the new badge was good-natured teasing about the inevitable influx of questions from new players, not actual hostility or frustration. I haven’t seen any replies to questions that have seemed particularly disrespectful. Perhaps I am too quick to give people the benefit of the doubt or to interpret something as humorous rather than snarky?

Am I the only one?

Flag Post

Heavyweight weigh in: We’re a bunch of self-righteous pricks. If you have nothing nice or helpful to say, then say nothing at all. Adv0, you mention “they didn’t take the effort to try, so why should I try to be nice?”. My answer to this is simple: treat people the way you want to be treated.

All of you people that are trying to poke holes in Pixieeee’s logic are failing before you start; it’s not only a fact, but a well-known one that “veteran players” tend to have a sense of entitlement, and are often fickle and rude with the newbies. If you would like to be respected, maybe try treating people with respect yourself. Instead of making the prerequisite “This post doesn’t go here” BS reply, either be helpful in your response while directing them to the appropriate thread, or SAY NOTHING!

I can’t stress enough that all of you people that are flailing out have neglected your option to SHUT THE HELL UP! Opinions are like buttholes; we all have them, but nobody wants to hear yours.

Flag Post

Chill people……. chill….

Flag Post

See, I’m not liking the generalising going on here. Call me entitled, but I find it rather disappointing to have spent god knows how long telling people off for this exact thing and now be lumped in with the group of “you are evil and should not exist”.

I understand both sides, because I feel understanding is the only way to try to solve the problem. If you can’t understand why people might do as they do, you are never going to be able to convince them it’s not the right way. This is what I have tried to do here. That doesn’t mean I think it’s okay to be rude to new players.

People don’t enjoy being told they are evil, and when they don’t like what you are saying, they won’t listen. Understanding their side and being kind is the quickest way to make them open up to what you are saying. At least that’s how it’s been in my experience.

Flag Post

When I reply to people, I usually do so in the form of a question, to drive them towards logical reasoning by themselves and making them want to look for more info. Some find it disrespectful and “pricky”. I don’t care, those people asking questions and not listening to the answers are not worth my time, so they just go in my ignore list; that list is not exclusively reserved to bad-mouthed people and spammers.

Since a few weeks I’ve not been actively playing or participating to the chat, but I always read what’s written when I get by to refresh my trees or clear up my inventories. I reply when I know the answer and I really don’t like when the chat is foul and moody, so I just ignore those people to make the chat welcoming the next time I come by. Easy as that.

TL;DR who cares about my opinion anyway?

Flag Post

Im well known on this game for my 1400 voted up comment but I do agree that people do ask stupid questions, but you don’t have to call them on it! They’re just new give them a break… Introduce them to the FAQ thread or simply answer the question yourself, Just dont call them stupid, cause that would be very rude of you.

Your’s truly, Halo0000

Flag Post
Originally posted by halo0000:

Im well known on this game for my 1400 voted up comment but I do agree that people do ask stupid questions, but you don’t have to call them on it! They’re just new give them a break… Introduce them to the FAQ thread or simply answer the question yourself, Just dont call them stupid, cause that would be very rude of you.

Your’s truly, Halo0000

I don’t recognize you

Flag Post

I would comment further on this topic, but I believe my original answer on page one is still the correct one.