Guide to basic stuff on forum

54 posts

Flag Post

It seems to me that a lot of people who aren’t used to code would have a hard time with how this forum works, I did myself at first before I sat down and decided to try understand how it worked. So I decided to make a short guide to help with some really basic stuff =)

Editing your own posts
If you posted something and then realize you forgot something or want to add something new, it’s often appreciated if you edit your first post instead of making a new one causing double posts.

Edit whatever you wanted to edit, and simply click “Save changes”.

Deleting your post
Want to remove something you posted? It’s easily done by clicking edit your post. In the box that appears, there is a delete button.

Quoting
To quote someone you simply press the button under their name in the post.

When you do so, the posting-window appears as usual but displaying text, in my example looking like this:

It can be hard to understand what part of that is what, so I’ve broken it up and highlighted the parts that belong with each other.

Pink: This is what tells the forum that it’s a quote, and that it should put it inside a box.
Grey: This basically means italics, just a fancier name for it.
Neon green: This is just to make the name of poster in bold text.
Red: This is what makes the forum add a link to text so you can click it and be transfered to the link.
Green: This is the link that forum that ends up being attached to name.
Blue: The name of the poster, and also the text displayed on forum with the link attached.
Purple: This tells the forum to go to next line.
Black: The actual text in the post you are quoting.

Every command has a end command which is marked with <></>, there has to be the same amount of start commands as end commands or it gets confused. This becomes more obvious when you try to quote something with quotes in it.

At first this might look like just a lot of code and text, but if you look at it carefully you can see that between each quote there is a that marks the start of a new quote inside quote. If you get used to finding where each quote starts and the next begins it’s easy to edit around with it.

How to post a picture
To post a picture you need to upload it to a website for picture sharing, such as photobucket or imageshack. Once you did, take the link to the picture uploaded and place it inside !!, like this

Search function
Often people do not realize that the search window for games also works for forum. Sadly the search function on kong is very limited and generic, it can be hard to find a specific thread but for generic questions you can often find a lot. You find the search box here:

Suggestions of how to write your question could be things like “how to gain pixels”, “what zebra do” or “explosion crates”. It’s appreciated if you at least try search for things before you make a new thread to ask, so give it a try and if you can’t find it then at least you tried.

Did you know?

• You can change the title of your topic after you created it by clicking “edit” next to title in the topic.

• You can delete your own topic if it has less than 10 replies, you do so by clicking “delete” next to the title. This option will only be available if there are less than 10 replies.

• Quotes automatically contain the name of the person who posted it, if you click the name you will be redirected to the post the quote is taken from.

• If you wonder how someone did something in a post, by quoting them you can find how the HTML is written in the quote and by that learn how to do it.

Guidelines

I figured I’d throw in a couple of generic guidelines as to behavior on forum since a lot of people seem to lack common sense on the area.

• Don’t necro1 a thread to answer something someone wrote a month ago, odds are they aren’t going to see it anyway.

• Don’t necro1 a thread to put useless information such as “lol!” or “I got that too”, there really is no use to that and it’s bothersome when old threads suddenly re-surface.

• Don’t post in a thread that is relatively inactive to say “Close this, it’s answered”, since you are semi-necroing1 yourself to say close before necro. “Relatively inactive” refers to 5 hours or longer since last response.

• Don’t make enormous quotes. Edit it down to only contain the part you want to answer, or if it’s the entire post you can replace it with something like “Post” or “The idea”, since anyone who reads it can simply click the persons username in the quote to read the original post.

• If someone made an inappropriate post, flag it but don’t post yourself to say you flagged it, it’s just useless spam.

• If there is a troll2, just ignore, don’t reply since that is what the person wants.

1Necroing is a term used to describe the act of posting in a thread that was long dead causing it to be bumped up to the top of forum.

2Trolls is a term used for someone who is purely out to provoke others with their posts.

Would you like to learn even more? Take a look at this more detailed guide!

Thanks to: Draconi, Cerbius, Chippi, rcktzr

Flag Post

But oh god how will I find my way to posting ! ! images and deleting my posts?
(Ya I had to write this.)

Flag Post

Now to make people that need this to read it… Where is Angried?

Flag Post

Any chance you can add a section on what “tags” or formatting markers do what? The Kong Guide is a bit lacking.

Flag Post

It looks like standard HTML encoding. But I don’t know shit about webcoding ><

Flag Post

It allows some html and uses it when auto-generating stuff like the quote button does. It tends to work properly more than their custom syntax (which fails a lot). I wish forums would start using Wikipedia’s syntax. It’s probably the easiest to learn.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Sturmfeder:

Any chance you can add a section on what “tags” or formatting markers do what? The Kong Guide is a bit lacking.

I’m not really that good at the advanced stuff, I just know enough to manage the basic things but I guess I could look into it. By kong guide do you mean the one that is linked in the posting box?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Aurian:
Originally posted by Sturmfeder:

I’m not really that good at the advanced stuff, I just know enough to manage the basic things but I guess I could look into it. By kong guide do you mean the one that is linked in the posting box?

Yea, that’s the guide I mean. It also links to another guide which I looked at once. Damn… On the right side there is a menu that I just noticed… Looks like a nice guide, much better than what Kong put together.
http://redcloth.org/textile

Flag Post
Originally posted by Draconi:

Now to make people that need this to read it… Where is Angried?

SECRET MESSAGE

Flag Post
Originally posted by Angried:

SECRET MESSAGE

Haha I saw this post of yours before you fixed. You’re the one who fails here.

Flag Post

Here is a guide to some basic HTML tags, while this is a guide to more ‘advanced’ tags.

Flag Post

bump

Flag Post

SECRET MESSAGE

//Off-topic.
Awww, cute puppy (?)/dog on av (or whatever is on it)

Flag Post

Updated with generic guidelines. I’m aware the forum already has posts like this elsewhere, but I figured I might as well since some people on this forum would do well reading them.

Flag Post

Bump. Because of how important this is.

Flag Post

- What the heck is in there?
- Bump, BLAA-
- Oh god, oh my ga -BLAAARGH

Special bump.. Woohoo?

Flag Post

Kongregulations (I think I used that before), you just got stickied!

Flag Post

I had a hard time deciding whether to sticky this or not, as this is not exactly game–related in any way.

Flag Post

one more awesome info bout how to use this forum:

- if you’re the creator of a posting, you can not only delete it, but you can also change the topic and necrovive the posting from bottom of the forum to the top and easy re-annoy people with the latest news of your formaly written posting/question to let everyone know that youre still there and you have still something to say/ask.

Flag Post

SECRET MESSAGE

//Off-topic.

it’s a pie… did you sleep last night week?

Flag Post
Originally posted by jurrin:

SECRET MESSAGE

//Off-topic.

it’s a pie… did you sleep last night week?

Actually it’s cake, but when Angried said that Draconi’s avatar was a puppy/dog.

Flag Post

why do we need this in the anti-idle fourms cant you just redirect them to another fourm

Flag Post
Originally posted by Harry1234114:

I am too stupid to learn why this thread is created, or at least (enough stupid to not) read it

For me it looks like it…

…I want cake avatar D:
//Ontopic

Hell yes for being sticky.

Flag Post
Originally posted by tenco1:

Kongregulations (I think I used that before), you just got stickied!

Hehe, thanks xD Took me two days to even notice it, I usually ignore the stickies =P

Originally posted by Harry1234114:

why do we need this in the anti-idle fourms cant you just redirect them to another fourm

I’m guessing Tukkun decided to sticky it despite not being directly about AI because hopefully it can help keep the forum more cleaned up which in the end benefits other posts that are indeed about the game.

Flag Post

Can you please add something about how to use the search function? People don’t seem to know it exists.