Forums Tyrant

A Full Guide to Building Your Defensive Decks!

92 posts

Flag Post

Let’s face it, defensive decks are end game. You don’t need them for missions and they are really only beneficial in faction play. So I assume that you have an extensive collection and or intend on designing your defense deck/s over time by investing warbonds. None of my ideas have room for “Sub Par” ideas. In that way, the deck ideas I am about to show you are based upon the best of the best. If you don’t have the cards I list, go get them, then build the deck, it’s that simple.

Let me start by saying that the combination’s are really endless. I can’t really post it in terms of “Builds” but rather I feel it’s better to put it in terms of defensive “Elements”. This is because each element has synergy with the other. So it’s not like you just pick one element stick with it, you find the combination of elements you like and go from there.

So here is the build-
1: Primary Element: This is the element you’re deck is built around.
2: Secondary Element: This is the element that is used in conjunction with your Primary Element.
3: There may be no primary or secondary elements but rather the deck is a hybrid of two equal elements

Note: A card pool, in this thread, is referring the key cards which make the deck what it is and the cards which are best ran along side them.

The Top Defensive Elements
[] Airstrike Removal
[] Counter Wither
[] Wall Stall
[] Wall Shield
[] Stall Control
[] 1 Drop Stop

[ Airstrike Removal ]

Airstrike Removal is simple. Run Atlas and 6-9 Airstrikes. The best candidates for the rest of the spots are Missile Silo, Tesla Cannon, Festering Wasteland and Kraken. However, the other four can also be any other defensive element.

This element works VERY well if your opponent lacks high HP cards and or Evade. If your opponent is running no 6+ health cards with no evade, they will lose 100%. How? Because, with so many airstrikes, every time you drop an assault, they deal a straight 5 damage to them. The other cards like Missile Silo and Kraken are there to take care of the rest.

Weakness: Cards like Titan and Poseidon are held highly for their ability to soak up airstrikes and tear down Silos/Cannons at the same time. I run both along side Cannon Walker and Draconian Queen and have found that those four cards completely shut Airstrike Removal down. How? Well, lets assume that the deck the defense is running is running 9 airstrikes. Titan soaks up 2, Draconian Queen soaks of 2, Poseidon soaks up 2. Thats 6 airstrikes to take down 3 cards. That is 3 less assault cards that will get hit by airstrikes and at the same time, it gives you time to “separate” their airstrikes from atlas by having more than one assault card out. For instance, instead of a solid 5 damage, they may divide among your multiple assault cards, therefor, your 5 health cards can then soak up 2 airstrikes also. Then you throw in the fact that Titan, Poseidon, and Cannon Walker give you enough siege to tear down any structures they might throw at you.

So the card pool for Airstrike Removal is-

Airstrike
Missile Silo
Tesla Cannon
Festering Wasteland
Kraken
[Add secondary element here]

[ Counter Wither ]

Counter Wither is designed to “Self Destruct” your opponents assault cards. However, counter is not reliable by itself, it must be accompanied by a sufficient amount of strike to work out it’s efficiency. The best counter cards are Trident, Mind Controller, Command Center, Absorption Shield, Dozer Tank, and Colossus.

I call it counter wither because of the way it works in withering the opponents assault cards down to the point of EMP being able to sweep them from the board and vice versa. In this way, it is pretty much mandatory to run an EMP or two if you plan to use Counter Wither as your Primary. The commander can either be Dracorex, Atlas, or Yurich [Raiders only]. Atlas supplements EMP and whatever else strike you run very well. Dracorex supplements the countering in a way that, the less damage your counter cards take, the more damage they can deal back. Yurich is also worthy of noting as a commander since a Colossus and Bulldozer based Raider/Counter Wither deck is VERY effective.

Weakness: Countering can, ironically, be counter-productive lol. If your opponent is running high health, high power cards like Titan, Dragoon Hunters, and even Daemon, it may give a counter wither deck trouble. It is especially less effective against healing, however, healing isn’t really something a tier 1 deck focuses on outside of Vyander or Yurich.

So the card pool for Counter Wither is-

Trident
Mind Controller
Command Center
Absorption Shield
Dozer Tank
Colossus
EMP

[ Wall Stall ]

Often known as Dracorex Wall, Wall stall is primarily built around weaken. In this way, it’s very necessary to run 4 or more blood walls. The line between Wall Stall and Counter Wither can be very blurry as Command Center and Absorption Shield work very well in them. But wait, what good is stalling if you have no removal? That is where Missile Silo and Tesla Cannon become essential. Mirror Wall, Festering Wasteland, and ofc. EMP are three more very notable options. I am not calling it Dracorex Wall half because Dalia is arguably an equivalent option to Dracorex. Dalia is noted for her strength in the first few turns which gives time for blood walls to go active.

Dracorex Wall works in two steps, if either one fails, it will lose. Step 1: Activate multiple blood walls to weaken the opponent to the point of being nearly paralyzed. Step 2: Activate removal structures like Silo, Tesla, Mirror Wall, and Wasteland to clear the board of their paralyzed assaults. Also, the more walls, the better the chances that siege will be an insignificant force against you. With 7 walls active, siege machine may take too long to take them down before a Silo or Tesla smite them dead.

Weakness: Obviously, it’s #1 weakness is siege, siege, and more siege. Once again, Poseidon, Titan, and Cannon Walker shine. Other things that can hinder a Wall Stall deck are Evade [Neutralizes Step 2] and 4+ power cards like Daemon, which require a bit more weaken to hold down.

So the card pool for Wall Stall is-

Dracorex
Dalia
Blood Wall
Command Center
Absorption Shield
Tesla Cannon
Missile Silo
Festering Wasteland
Mirror Wall
EMP

[ Wall Shield ]

There are two forms of Wall Shield

Meat Shield: Run removal such as Silo, Wasteland, and Tesla and use “Meat Shields” like Titan, Kraken, and Gun Raven to protect them.

Counter Shield: Run removal such as Silo, Wasteland, and Tesla and use a secondary Counter Wither element to supplement it. The Counter Wither element being assault cards.

The way it works is simple. The assault cards soak up all of the damage to buy the removal cards enough time to activate.

Weakness: Just like any wall based deck, siege will most likely ruin it.

So the card pool for Wall Shield is-

Dracorex
Atlas
Dalia
Missile Silo
Tesla Cannon
Festering Wasteland
Titan
Kraken
Gun Raven

Sorry there isn’t much detail on this one, it’s just a really simplistic strategy that doesn’t take much to explain. In other words, it’s just the variation of a Wall Stall deck that doesn’t focus on weaken but rather simply it’s removal + assaults instead.

[ Stall Control ]

Stall control could easily be referred to as an Immobilize/Jam deck. The two most notable cards for it being Trident and Arc Trooper. Stall Control is really a catalyst with every other element because Trident falls under Counter Wither, Arc Trooper falls under 1 Drop Stop, and Tesla/Silo are popular additions to them. Other notable cards for stall control are Kraken, Daemon, Dracorex, and Dalia. Please also note that Stall Control can easily be a pure Imperial Deck, so commanders like Freddie are a good option in them.

The goal is simple, immobilize and jam the opponent into paralysis while, unlike the other elements which are action or structure based, it’s assault cards do all of the dirty work.

Weakness: Immobilize and Jam are hindered by their 50% proc. Also note that arc trooper can be rendered useless when weakened by 2 or more. However, how many offensive decks run weaken?

So the card pool for Stall Control is-

Dracorex
Atlas
Dalia
Arc Trooper
Trident
Tesla Cannon
Missile Silo
Kraken
Daemon

[ 1 Drop Stop ]

1 Drop Stop is so simple, it’s impossible to really go into detail. Basically, you take the best 1 drop cards in the game like Predator, Tiamat, Arc Trooper, Cannon Walker, Omega, Vampire, and Hatchet, and throw them into one deck in hopes of catching a slow offensive deck off guard. One thing that opens up infinite possibilities within it is the room there is to make use of a secondary element. Note: Running two EMPs in a 1 Drop Stop deck can be VERY effective.

Weakness: Equally fast offensive decks will obviously tear it apart as it will go second. The same applies to the possibility of them leading their own 1 drop to stop YOU on the first turn. Therefor this deck is not very reliable outside of simply trying to catch people off guard. All of the above elements are hindered by high health 3 and 4 drop cards, so there is a chance that someone may not be running any 1 drops at all. Also consider that 1 EMP can potentially ruin a 1 Drop Stop deck altogether.

So the card pool for 1 Drop Stop is-

Dracorex
Dalia
Atlas
Predator
Tiamat
Arc Trooper
Cannon Walker
Omega
Vampire
Hatchet
EMP

[[[[[[[[[[ [ Deck Example Section ] ]]]]]]]]]]

[] Airstrike Removal

Atlas
7x Airstrike
2x EMP
Kraken

Atlas
6x Airstrike
2x Command Center
2x Missile Silo

Atlas
7x Airstrike
2x Missile Silo
Kraken

[] Counter Wither

Atlas/Dracorex
x3 Trident
x2 Mind Controller
x3 Colossus
x2 Command Center

Atlas
x2 Trident
x2 Colossus
x2 Command Center
x4 Airstrike

Yurich
x6 Colossus
x2 Command Center
x2 EMP

[] Wall Stall

Dracorex/Dalia
5x Blood Wall
Mirror Wall
2x Missile Silo
Tesla Cannon
Festering Wasteland

Dracorex/Dalia
5x Blood Wall
3x Command Center
2x Missile Silo

Dracorex/Dalia
4x Blood Wall
2x Tesla Cannon
2x Festering Wasteland
2x Missile Silo

[] Wall Shield

Dracorex/Atlas
2x Missile Silo
Tesla Cannon
Festering Wasteland
Titan
Kraken
Gun Raven
3x Dragoon Hunters

Freddie
2x Missile Silo
2x Tesla Cannon
3x Trident
3x Arc Trooper

Freddie
2x Missile Silo
Tesla Cannon
Festering Wasteland
Titan
Poseidon
Arc Trooper
Trident
Tiamat
EMP

[] Stall Control

Freddie
2x Missile Silo
4x Arc Trooper
4x Trident

Freddie
2x Missile Silo
2x Tesla Cannon
3x Trident
3x Arc Trooper

Atlas/Dracorex
2x Tesla Cannon
3x Arc Trooper
2x Trident
2x Daemon
Kraken

[] 1 Drop Stop

Atlas
Predator
Tiamat
Omega
2x EMP
2x Arc Trooper
2x Cannon Walker

Freddie
Tiamat
2x EMP
Absorption Shield
6x Arc Trooper

Malort
3x Hatchet
4x Vampire
3x Asylum

As you can see, when I put it in perspective of elements, there are literally hundreds of effective combination’s. You can also see that, even though there are only six elements, I managed to throw in such a variety ranging from multi decks to Imp and BT aggro.

Let me note one very important thing. The further you read down the list, the more it fades from Dominant Builds to Essential Builds. Dominant Builds are simply the most effective builds there are Vs Essential Builds which pretty much compliment the dominent builds.

This means that, although a Dracorex Wall deck is effective, it’s only half as effective unless the rest of your faction is running a variety of defense decks. Why? Well hypothetically, if your entire faction runs Dracorex Wall, your opponent only has to focus on the weaknesses of the Dracorex Wall build, siege. In that way they could easily steamroll your entire faction. Then lets say you have 20 members and 5 run Airstrike Removal, 5 run Drac Wall, 5 run Counter Wither, and 5 Stall Control/1 Drop Stop. Well, instead of just running all siege, they now need ample siege to beat Drac Wall, enough 6+ health tanks to beat Airstrike, and enough overall HP and power to beat Counter. What REALLY tops the cake then? The 5 Stall Control/1 Drop Stop decks will eat them alive because you’re simply forcing them to run too many 3 and 4 drops to deal with them. In that way, although Stall Control and 1 Drop Stop are inferior by themselves, it is essential that a faction has some of them.

Flag Post

Reserved

Please point out any grammatical errors so that I can fix them.

Flag Post

Was waiting for something like this to come out, really good job. However, I fail to see why none of your examples include dozer tank or bulldozer? Cause I believe those two cards can really shine in defensive decks.

Flag Post
Originally posted by icrine:

Was waiting for something like this to come out, really good job. However, I fail to see why none of your examples include dozer tank or bulldozer? Cause I believe those two cards can really shine in defensive decks.

Good point- I neglected to mention those, I admit. There are so many good defensive ideas that it’s easy to overlook some.

Flag Post

Also, I’ve seen some people claiming that cards like mawcor, fortifier and the usual flurry cards go well in defensive decks – but I disagree for the most part because they can’t stand any sort of beating.

Another thing is, are tridents really that worth it? From what I can see, they are arc troopers combined with sand crawlers. Most of everybody playing on the kong edition don’t have tridents, so I would love to see an example whereby they will actually be of use. Right now, I’m seeing them as a weaker alternative to, say mind controllers? They would easily die to strikes and weaken, so I don’t exactly feel that they’re too much of a great choice for defense.

Flag Post

Also, I’ve seen some people claiming that cards like mawcor, fortifier and the usual flurry cards go well in defensive decks – but I disagree for the most part because they can’t stand any sort of beating.

Another thing is, are tridents really that worth it? From what I can see, they are arc troopers combined with sand crawlers. Most of everybody playing on the kong edition don’t have tridents, so I would love to see an example whereby they will actually be of use. Right now, I’m seeing them as a weaker alternative to, say mind controllers? They would easily die to strikes and weaken, so I don’t exactly feel that they’re too much of a great choice for defense.

They go active a turn sooner than mind controller and have 3 power. Do not underestimate the power of 3 damage with immobilize when it’s on a 2 drop.

I play on FB Tyrant a lot and Trident has proven itself to me many times as it has given me a hard time lol. I also bought my own share of Tridents and have found they are useful to me too.

Flag Post

You have a point there… I used to think xeno interceptor was the worst muscle card possible for xeno, but there was that one time where it took out an immortal in two hits via immobilize.

I suppose trident would be a super-enhanced version of an interceptor, then.

Flag Post

You have a point there… I used to think xeno interceptor was the worst muscle card possible for xeno, but there was that one time where it took out an immortal in two hits via immobilize.

I suppose trident would be a super-enhanced version of an interceptor, then.

Interceptor is good if it goes active, but otherwise, it’s just too damn slow-

Flag Post

Nice guide. These things largely become common sense after spending some time in the top tier of faction warfare, but it should do a great job of preparing rising factions for what they’ll be facing.

Flag Post

Definitely your best post yet, Block. Keep up the good work.

Flag Post

Me love you long time…

Flag Post

Bumpety

Flag Post
Originally posted by Tuxedo:

Definitely your best post yet, Block. Keep up the good work.

Thanks- :)

Flag Post

How about decks based on single characters? For example, Freddie with 10 Titans or 10 Arc Troopers or Vyander with 10 Krakens? Is there any counter to that type of def deck?

Flag Post

I’d say that would be weak to strike and muscle…

Course; it might be able to stall long enough for a 50-turn.

Flag Post

I thought it might actually be strong to strike, since strike would be split up among the units.

Flag Post
Originally posted by just4yoshi:

How about decks based on single characters? For example, Freddie with 10 Titans or 10 Arc Troopers or Vyander with 10 Krakens? Is there any counter to that type of def deck?

googles definition of unique

Flag Post
Originally posted by bobbbbbbbb:

googles definition of unique

Damnit Bobbb you beat me to it LOL-

Yeah, Arc Troopers are the only possible build here. It falls exactly under the Stall Control build. Basically… his post was completely pointless lol

Flag Post

Of course… unique kills my plans again…

Flag Post

Of course… unique kills my plans again…

Better luck next time |:D

Flag Post

Considering non-unique mass units that people play, Bolide Walkers etc… they’d be weak to 1 drop stop… while the 10x arc troopers would fall over vs an airstrike removal deck.

Use common sense :p

Flag Post
Originally posted by CoNt3MpT:

Considering non-unique mass units that people play, Bolide Walkers etc… they’d be weak to 1 drop stop… while the 10x arc troopers would fall over vs an airstrike removal deck.

Use common sense :p

Although a 10 Kraken deck would be pretty leet lol

Flag Post

nice, but…
>5 airstrikes?
O_o

Flag Post

Unless you’re going to create decks that will only win the very first fight or are planning on swapping decks rapidly, you should drop any and all pure structure decks out of the picture, same with any airstrike spam – be they structure or single/double assault card – decks – they only work until they’re seen, then they fall with a very simple – and usually easy to create – deck, hell, beating both with a single deck shouldn’t be hard.

Flag Post
Originally posted by multifails:

Unless you’re going to create decks that will only win the very first fight or are planning on swapping decks rapidly, you should drop any and all pure structure decks out of the picture, same with any airstrike spam – be they structure or single/double assault card – decks – they only work until they’re seen, then they fall with a very simple – and usually easy to create – deck, hell, beating both with a single deck shouldn’t be hard.

They work well in faction wars. It’s the faction collaborative where they’re effective, not token arena battles. Having a couple of folks playing an airstrike deck, while others are playing 3 operationally differing decks (wall stall etc) will ultimately yield higher defensive win totals.