Forums Tyrant

[Dev] Conquest Changes proposal

208 posts

Flag Post

We’ve been trying to figure out the best solution to a few issues the community has with Conquest mode. The main issues seem to be:
1) Attacks are relatively stagnant, and the map is mostly made up of the same factions sitting on their 31 tiles.
2) Low-level factions can’t get onto the map and collect any tokens.
3) Level-capped tiles are blocking mid-level Factions and aren’t really even offering big enough rewards (or fun, for that matter) to the low-level Factions they are geared towards.

Given that, here is our proposed solution:
-Give each tile a “Conquest Rating” (CR) value, ranging from 1 to 10+.
-Tiles closer to the center will be worth more CR.
-Change the reward tiers from being based on number of tiles controlled to total amount of CR controlled. For example, 8 Conquest tokens requires 31 tiles now, and may require 100+ CR.
-Remove all level caps.
-Add a limit to the number of tiles a guild can control. If you control a number of tiles >= this limit, you cannot declare war on another tile. (But you will not automatically lose any tiles.) This tile limit may be 20-40.
-Possibly expand the map.

We believe that:
-High value tiles in the middle will encourage more conflict over those tiles
-A tile limit and low-value tiles on the outside will give more factions the ability to participate in Conquest

What are your thoughts?

Flag Post

A tile limit on low value tiles may also be required, as otherwise we may see excessive deliberate blocking of the outside tiles.

For instance one faction could take 10 tiles on the edge and continually ‘block’ these tiles from attack using ‘alt’ factions set up purposefully for this eventuality.

Maybe have a limit of 2-3 ‘outer shell’ tiles that can be held.

Flag Post

Did you see this thread ? I think it’s worth considering.

Removing level caps is a good idea.

Capping the number of tiles a faction can control will encourage alliances rather than conflict.

But I’m not sure it’s possible to come up with a system that encourages combat and can’t be gamed by alliances and/or alt factions.

Flag Post

don’t change something that’s not broken.

Btw, all of your solutions would rather make the ‘observations of problems’ (that don’t exist) worse rather than better, it seems your believes are totally off. Just agree that conquest is a top faction toy and you’re there. Make a seperate map for others if you want them involved, in this map there is no space. There is no way to get low level factions involved, really in the current setup.

Tile limit is extremely stupid. Factions would just abandon unattackeable tiles in the middle and attack the borders and just control the entire map.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bascule2000:

Capping the number of tiles a faction can control will encourage alliances rather than conflict.

But I’m not sure it’s possible to come up with a system that encourages combat and can’t be gamed by alliances and/or alt factions.

Conquest is already dominated by 1 large alliance, so no real change there. Definitely expand the map and possibly reset the whole bloody thing.

Flag Post

i think you should go for it, anything planned for Christmas?

Flag Post
Originally posted by synapticon:

We’ve been trying to figure out the best solution to a few issues the community has with Conquest mode. The main issues seem to be:
1) Attacks are relatively stagnant, and the map is mostly made up of the same factions sitting on their 31 tiles.
2) Low-level factions can’t get onto the map and collect any tokens.
3) Level-capped tiles are blocking mid-level Factions and aren’t really even offering big enough rewards (or fun, for that matter) to the low-level Factions they are geared towards.

Given that, here is our proposed solution:
-Give each tile a “Conquest Rating” (CR) value, ranging from 1 to 10+.
-Tiles closer to the center will be worth more CR.
-Change the reward tiers from being based on number of tiles controlled to total amount of CR controlled. For example, 8 Conquest tokens requires 31 tiles now, and may require 100+ CR.
-Remove all level caps.
-Add a limit to the number of tiles a guild can control. If you control a number of tiles >= this limit, you cannot declare war on another tile. (But you will not automatically lose any tiles.) This tile limit may be 20-40.
-Possibly expand the map.

We believe that:
-High value tiles in the middle will encourage more conflict over those tiles
-A tile limit and low-value tiles on the outside will give more factions the ability to participate in Conquest

What are your thoughts?

If you do implement all of these ideas, this would encourage factions to frequently fight over the middle tiles. I would recommend adding more tiles at the exterior areas for the lower level factions at rather low CR rating to deter higher level factions.

Flag Post

Finally things are starting to move in the right direction. Thats really nice but it does not solve all conquest problems.

I described only few of them and possible solutions in here

Regards
BT

Flag Post

Low-level factions can’t get onto the map and collect any tokens -→ Remove all level caps and add a limit to the number of tiles a guild can control
Attacks are relatively stagnant —→ Add a limit to the number of tiles a guild can control

Something is wrong :D

The only good thing seems to be: Possibly expand the map.

Flag Post

go go go devs. map is boring now

Flag Post

Love the tile limit and value idea, this will help free up the outer tiles for lower level fractions who just want a few tokens here and there. I think the biggest problem is the current number of available tiles to even start a conquest. Currently we can only attack the outer ring and I tried making a post about this but I truly believe that you should bring back the range idea again. Currently there are 2 open tiles on the map but only two factions can actually invade them because they are not on the outer ring.

I also think part of the problem will be “catching up”, factions that have been getting 8 tokens every 23 hours will most definitely have full upgrades at this point and we (a faction with no tiles/tokens) still face the issue of fighting 30 decks at 130 hp doing only 10 damage a win. If you multiply out the amount of stamina you would actually need to win it is crazy. Sadly you can not do anything about this that will make everyone happy, but fixing it now at least closes the gap.

I want to end with two suggestions:
1) Extend the range of the first tile your faction can start a conquest on
2) Maybe reduce the number of defense decks allowed per tile? (This idea just came to me now and I have not given it much balance thought)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bascule2000:

The only way I have been able to think of to nullify alliances to some extent is to have a minimum number of decks that must defend a tile to retain that tile. This minimum number could be based on a multiple of the CR value.

For this to work we have to consider the maximum theoretical number of decks for a faction is 900 to defend with.

If we want to allow maybe a maximum of 180 CR that means each CR a tile is worth has to be defended with 5 decks (this also being the maximum number of defense decks on a tile). This would however mean that a tile with a CR of 10 would be defended by 50 decks which would be I think by a top faction able to be taken JUST but would be a real challenge.

It also ensures that a new faction can take a tile on the edge as most factions SHOULD be able to take a tile that is defended by 5 decks!

If we were also to add in a lower FP limit for conquest (say 50FP) this MAY stop alt factions being set up with the sole purpose of ‘tile blocking’. All this will mean is that a level 1 faction would wait a few days until they can start conquesting.

Flag Post

Those people in high lvl faction with alot of tiles would most likely say to get rid of the faction lvl cap anyway so that more of the top lvl faction can have more tiles and be more spread out making it easier for the higher lvl factions to not care about taking more cause they have enough.. The faction lvl cap is the only thing keeping the entire map from being controlled by the top 10-15 factions as it is and lately there has been more attacking because theres so many top faction going for fewer tiles. I say there should still be a faction lvl cap on some tiles as it can be fun for the lower lvl faction to be competitive in there own space.

Flag Post

make sure the map is also made prettier :D (like me :D)

Flag Post

hehe, again I love the opinions of all those people that didn’t play conquest in ages. I remember the times when people complained about defense being too strong, cursing everyone that proved the opposite. Defense is already nearly impossible. The factions still conquesting succeed over 95% of their attempts. Really, lowering the max amount of def decks set wouldn’t make any considerable difference.

Adding a limit (and adding CR) will increase the value of coorporation with other factions, adding a limit will also result in people clearing and emptying the center tiles in their territory that cannot be attack, and adding a limit will result in less conquest overall that was observed as a ‘problem’. A limit will not help small factions, it will just have more top factions on the map sitting on 31. Increase the map will also just allow somewhat more top factions sitting on 31, but it just changes the topic from top 10 to top 20. If you want to involve low level factions you have to create a second, third, fourth map for them to play in.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jake_20:

Those people in high lvl faction with alot of tiles would most likely say to get rid of the faction lvl cap anyway so that more of the top lvl faction can have more tiles and be more spread out making it easier for the higher lvl factions to not care about taking more cause they have enough.. The faction lvl cap is the only thing keeping the entire map from being controlled by the top 10-15 factions as it is and lately there has been more attacking because theres so many top faction going for fewer tiles. I say there should still be a faction lvl cap on some tiles as it can be fun for the lower lvl faction to be competitive in there own space.

Unfortunately the level cap doesnt work in its current form. Most of the level capped tiles have been taken by restart factions who are gaming the system by purposefully stagnating their level to stay at level 5 or 10, to suck up all of these tiles.

If you were to retain a level cap you would have to limit the number of tiles a faction could hold based on their faction level for ‘normal’ factions to have any chance of participating in conquest.

Flag Post

I think the best change would be to increase the total number of tiles, to give more opportunities to other factions. More tiles will give more factions a chance to participate.

I would remove the Level restricted tiles. Realistically, the only Level 5 and Level 10 factions that are on the map are comprised of top players who are in factions that are artifically staying at the Level 5 or Level 10 mark.

Capping the # of tiles a faction can control will likely force more cooperation rather than fighting. If your goal is more warfare, then caps are a bad idea.

I do think that adding a CR value might create more conflict in the short-term, but in the end, the same top factions will end up controlling / winning the tiles, no matter how you slice it. The only way to get more factions involved is to have more tiles.

Personally I think the best way would be to have two or three separate maps, with increasing rewards. If a faction gets knocked off the top map, they can try to enter the second map for lesser rewards. As long as you make the rewards on the other maps lower than the rewards on the top map, top factions will have an incentive to stay off the other maps and focus on the hardest map. This will create opportunities for more factions to participate.

Flag Post

Extend the amount of tiles in the map and not remove lvl-protected tiles because instead of 15 top factions ruling the map will be 20 top factions instead, would kill new players/factions more than it is now.

Flag Post

I like these ideas, and to add to that I think it would be good if:
a) More tiles are added
b) The tile cap is quite low
c) The majority of the map is low CR tiles and there’s relatively few high CR tiles
This should make conquest more accessible for lower factions.

Flag Post
Originally posted by gjw666:
Originally posted by jake_20:

Unfortunately the level cap doesnt work in its current form. Most of the level capped tiles have been taken by restart factions who are gaming the system by purposefully stagnating their level to stay at level 5 or 10, to suck up all of these tiles.

If you were to retain a level cap you would have to limit the number of tiles a faction could hold based on their faction level for ‘normal’ factions to have any chance of participating in conquest.

I would easily agree that the lvl cap is flawed and abused but that doesnt mean it can be fixed, all in all the entire map has become flawed. As it was a good idea at first it was an experiment if anything and now its time to update the old to fix the problems this included as a problem that could possibly be fixed instead of completely removed.

Flag Post

My issue with conquest is this…now that you’ve waited so long to fix the map, all top-tier factions have made immense leaps and bounds past all of us who weren’t able to get on the map. This means they have more health, as well as more attack power…even if these changes are made, I don’t see how anyone who didn’t get the 8 tokens/day for the past however many months will ever be able to catch up.

Suggestions?

Edit: even a reset won’t fix this…

Flag Post

I like the idea. Sure it needs some good balancing to work but it will be for sure better than now. And i am happy that max lv tiles gonna be removed so everyone can just lv up and dont have to stay 5 or 10 to have some tiles. But i hope not all tiles will have 30 slots. The high rating tiles in the middle should have them off course but tiles on the edge should often have just 10 or 20 slots so low lv factions are able to get them with less than 50 members. Also diffrent number of slots means that there gonna be tiles that switch their owner faster than others which could be very exciting.

Flag Post

Apply ALL of this changes and please add the pack exchange thing PLEASE – 3 packs for 1 nw exchange option !

Flag Post

1 minute ago
avatar for Philosopher Philosopher 61 posts

Quote post
Flag Post

I think the best change would be to increase the total number of tiles, to give more opportunities to other factions. More tiles will give more factions a chance to participate.

I would remove the Level restricted tiles. Realistically, the only Level 5 and Level 10 factions that are on the map are compromised of top players who are in factions that are artifically staying at the Level 5 or Level 10 mark.

Capping the # of tiles a faction can control will likely force more cooperation rather than fighting. If your goal is more warfare, then caps are a bad idea.

I do think that adding a CR value might create more conflict in the short-term, but in the end, the same top factions will end up controlling / winning the tiles, no matter how you slice it. The only way to get more factions involved is to have more tiles.

Personally I think the best way would be to have two or three separate maps, with increasing rewards. If a faction gets knocked off the top map, they can try to enter the second map for lesser rewards. As long as you make the rewards on the other maps lower than the rewards on the top map, top factions will have an incentive to stay off the other maps and focus on the hardest map. This will create opportunities for more factions to participate.

+1

Flag Post

Imagine a truly lvl 5 faction with players of lvl 20-50 attacking a tile on the edge against a top faction, with 30 defense slots and 130 HP its impossible for them…