Forums Tyrant

For FUN: HH's list of the best common cards

74 posts

Flag Post

I normally avoid threads like this, and I know that this topic has been debated before. But Shrine of Hope got me thinking about my personal list of the best common cards in the game. I hope that someone will be able to change my mind about this list. I figure that if someone can change my mind, then that means I’ve learned something new. Still, this is just a fun exercise.

People have changed my mind:
Moraku and DarkBlood1 changed my mind about Bolster Auto.
Shadowhopeful changed my mind about Sawblade.

22 Jan 2013 list:

6 Jan 2013 list:

7 Dec 2012 list:

6 Dec 2012 list:

I want to pick cards that are currently useful in multiple settings. Some cards are awesome in sealed tournaments, for example, but would never be used anywhere else. Daizon, for example, is used in Faction Wars, Conquest, Quests, Sealed, and Missions. These cards that are decent or great in sealed but not much else.

Finally, just so I could use the Fansite interface, my list is arbitrarily one commander and ten other cards.

Possible changes

I'm open to suggetions or persuasion.

Considered

1. Sulfuris Sentry
  2. String Rash and Mite
  3. Pinion and Signal Towers
  4. Partisan
  5. Blitz Precursor
  6. Wight and Web of Madness

Flag Post

tl;dr.

But I agree

Originally posted by hunterhogan:

Anyone have any thoughts on why there are not any common Action cards?

Because taking action is uncommon or rare?

Flag Post

Where the heck is Sulfuris Sentry? That is by far and away the best common card in the game. Otherwise, good list.

Flag Post

Sulfuris Sentry

Edit: Ninja’d by paca. D:

Flag Post

Sting Rash. It can save you from fear decks

Mite

Hovering Pest

Heart Ripper

Flag Post

If it weren’t for Atelier, Pinion as a standalone would still have been fairly decent compared to the old time fliers.

Quite nice for some missions:

Great for sealed:

Flag Post

Yes, this card was very difficult for me to remove from the list. I love it, love it, love it. I bumped it for other cards because it cannot be useful without Rally and the Flurry is unpredictable. There is a lot of Armored and Protect and Flying around, and all of those things reduce its value.

On the other hand, two of the structures on my current list are useless unless they are supporting another card, so that diminishes the value of my first argument about Sulfuris Sentry: it requires a combination to be useful. What card would you remove from the list so that Sulfuris Sentry can fit?

Flag Post
Originally posted by floppynoodles:

Sting Rash. It can save you from fear decks

Mite

Hovering Pest

Heart Ripper

Hmm. I didn’t give this serious thought, but I can’t imagine what I would remove so that this Wait-3 card could fit in the list.

Heart Ripper: many of the same problems as Sulfuris Sentry without the benefit of Flurry.

Hovering Pest: I think it is currently outclassed by oodles of other Wait-zero cards.

I love Egg Infector, but I think the value of Mite comes from Egg Infector. I can’t imagine which of the above cards I would remove to put Mite on the list.

Flag Post

could you possible think about using Aiko for a commander, or are you keeping Daizon for the plethora of sabres in the current meta?

Flag Post

Going to add onto the list of decent sealed cards.

Gold or Enclave:

WB stuff:

If I missed some cards, I might have been careless, or thought that they were too situational to be considered at the time.

Edit: Additions to WB stuff:

Flag Post

All-time best common cards:

BEST Common Commander:
Daizon

BEST Common Structure:
Shrine of Hope

BEST Common Assault:
Irradiated Infantry

Flag Post

this is a hard one. I mean is that supposed to be a playable deck? And you can’t have duplicates? Or is it simply your top 10 common cards?

Flag Post
Originally posted by ladolcevita:

If it weren’t for Atelier, Pinion as a standalone would still have been fairly decent compared to the old time fliers.

Quite nice for some missions:

Great for sealed:

I admit that I had a hard time with Pinion. I couldn’t decide if its value came from being protected by Atelier, which makes the Wait-4 less of a problem, or if it is a good card on its own. If it activates, it is damned annoying, that is for sure. It is one of the only Wait-4 commons that could make the list. What would you remove?

Signal Towers: I like it, too, but I just don’t think it is as versatile as the other three structures, so I don’t see it in the top 10.

Ryoko and Artillery Encampment are awesome in The Enclave sealed—and just about no where else (that I know of).

Flag Post

From their usefulness in sealed tournaments, these are some of my favourites:

Completely unrelated, but can someone tell me what on earth is going on in this picture? It looks like farm machinery with a robot in the background. I can’t see a vampire anywhere.

Flag Post

could you possible think about using Aiko for a commander, or are you keeping Daizon for the plethora of sabres in the current meta?

Aiko is Uncommon, but I would still choose Daizon. Before Sabre was all over Meta, you would see lots of Hephatat or Tiamat, and as the number of Activation skills increases, Mimic becomes even more useful.

Flag Post
Originally posted by DarkBlood1:

BEST Common Commander:
Daizon

BEST Common Structure:
Shrine of Hope

BEST Common Assault:
Irradiated Infantry

BEST Common Action:
Bolster Auto (What do you mean it’s not an Action? D:)

Flag Post
Originally posted by protoflare:

On TnT, a few different authors created some excellent guides for sealed tournaments. (But the guides were made before buffed cards, so they have some old information.) (If you are not a member of TnT, it is free, and it only requires a Google account—not Gmail, not Google plus, just Google—all “applications” are automatically approved, so you can instantlly see the content.)

I’m hoping to focus on 11 commons that are generally good in multiple environments, but it is true that we are much more likely to use common cards in sealed than anywhere else.

Flag Post

this is a hard one. I mean is that supposed to be a playable deck? And you can’t have duplicates? Or is it simply your top 10 common cards?

Just a top 10, not playable. Yeah, it’s a hard exercise because we tend to not use common cards after we get enough rare cards or enless we are playing in sealed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Bascule2000:

Completely unrelated, but can someone tell me what on earth is going on in this picture? It looks like farm machinery with a robot in the background. I can’t see a vampire anywhere.

Partisan almost made my list. I think because it is from an old WB-only set, most people are not familiar with its power. Compare it to Blight Tainter, though.

I took it off the list because with Attack 1, it will get Dracorexed. (This is a new verb.)

As for Vampire, I have a vague recollection of a very old thread discussing the artwork on this card. You might try searching for it. It would be old, probably before September 2011.

Flag Post

Now I’m itching for an all-common Standard tournament.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Moraku:
Originally posted by DarkBlood1:

BEST Common Commander:
Daizon

BEST Common Structure:
Shrine of Hope

BEST Common Assault:
Irradiated Infantry

BEST Common Action:
Bolster Auto (What do you mean it’s not an Action? D:)

Ah. This is an interesting one. I didn’t give enough credit to the Cleanse on Play. I wonder if this belongs in the list somewhere.

Flag Post
Originally posted by protoflare:

Gold or Enclave:

WB stuff:

If I missed some cards, I might have been careless, or thought that they were too situational to be considered at the time.

Edit: Additions to WB stuff:

All I want to say is that some of those ‘WB stuff’ arent WB only.
These are Quilled Blaster, Daizon, Toxic Corrupter, Blitz Precursor, Signal Towers as homeworld is gold buyable.
Also, a lot of those cards are mission rewards as well.

Flag Post

Yes, Bolster Auto is a great card, probably better or equal to Elite Diver.

>

And the action card Halt Advance was always a shit from the first day of tyrant in February 2011, should be a common card.

Flag Post

Sawblade > Impulse Walker imo

Flag Post

You forgot partizan. Hands down the best common of all.