Forums Tyrant

If NeveBeta gets a card... page 4 (locked)

103 posts

Flag Post
Originally posted by Shadowhopeful:
Originally posted by SeanDougherty86:

You guys are going to have to remind me of the last time a Tyrant player died of cancer.

No kidding, if we have so many people dying that it is oversaturating the reward card pool, maybe the excess amount of cards is the least of our problems.

“of cancer”

(There may be faulty assumptions in the following paragraph.)

In 2011, approximately 55 million people died, and each year, 7.6 million die from cancer. That means that approximately 1 in every 8 deaths is cancer-related. (The following is an approximation.) There are about 7 billion people on earth, last time I checked, which means, using that 55 million statistic from earlier, that about 1 in 14 people will die each year, 1 in 8 of those deaths being cancer-related. This means that about 1 in every 112 people will die from cancer in a given year. I don’t know exact statistics for the number of Tyrant players, but there’s a good chance that there are at least 224 of us, meaning that it’s fairly likely that there was at least one other Tyrant player that died of cancer in the last year.

I know people will miss her, but, to be somewhat callous about it, she isn’t exactly statistically special. She may have been a good person, and may be missed by her faction mates, but I don’t think a memorial card is either called for or appropriate.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Qwandri:

You guys are going to have to remind me of the last time a Tyrant player died of cancer.

No kidding, if we have so many people dying that it is oversaturating the reward card pool, maybe the excess amount of cards is the least of our problems.

“of cancer”

In 2011, approximately 55 million people died, and each year, 7.6 million die from cancer. That means that approximately 1 in every 8 deaths is cancer-related. (The following is an approximation.) There are about 7 billion people on earth, last time I checked, which means, using that 55 million statistic from earlier, about 1 in 14 people dies each year, 1 in 8 of those deaths being cancer-related. This means that about 1 in every 112 people will dies from cancer in a given year. I don’t know exact statistics for the number of Tyrant players, but there’s a good chance that there are at least 224 of us, meaning that it’s fairly likely that there was at least one other Tyrant player that died of cancer in the last year.

I know people will miss her, but, to be somewhat callous about it, she isn’t exactly statistically special. She may have been a good person, and may be missed by her faction mates, but I don’t think a memorial card is either called for or appropriate.

nonsense government information to quell its people.

Flag Post
Originally posted by warriorman31:

“of cancer”

In 2011, approximately 55 million people died, and each year, 7.6 million die from cancer. That means that approximately 1 in every 8 deaths is cancer-related. (The following is an approximation.) There are about 7 billion people on earth, last time I checked, which means, using that 55 million statistic from earlier, about 1 in 14 people dies each year, 1 in 8 of those deaths being cancer-related. This means that about 1 in every 112 people will dies from cancer in a given year. I don’t know exact statistics for the number of Tyrant players, but there’s a good chance that there are at least 224 of us, meaning that it’s fairly likely that there was at least one other Tyrant player that died of cancer in the last year.

nonsense government information to quell its people.

Thanks for participating in the discussion. Your opinion is important to us, though we are unable to find an opening for it at this time. We will keep it on file, however, and you will be notified if a position for it opens.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Novellean:

#TeamNoSides

[If there is ever a court hearing on my competency, then this will be introduced as evidence that I am insane: I am pyramid-quoting a hashtag on a platform that doesn’t use hashtags.]

Flag Post
Originally posted by hunterhogan:
Originally posted by Novellean:

#TeamNoSides

[If there is ever a court hearing on my competency, then this will be introduced as evidence that I am insane: I am pyramid-quoting a hashtag on a platform that doesn’t use hashtags.]

#getmoney, I believe it was.

Flag Post

Create a form where one can enter the data of a deceased tyrant player, probably with some sort of a proof beyond “I say so”. Add fields for players that would like to receive a commemorative card. Create stat-less card that cannot be used in battle, and send it to the players whose names were written by the requester.

Alternatively, make a memorial somewhere in-game with card images, commemorating said players that passed away. In fact, this is not a new idea, and might be better than the above.

Bam, problem solved.

Flag Post
Originally posted by PsychoRaito:
Originally posted by Mak12393:

Are you kidding me? A mod better lock this thread ASAP.

“Someone’s opinion is different than mine. Lock please.”

I disagree with you everywhere else but here I agree with you on the principal of “I may hate you, but I will fight for your right to speak”.

Flag Post

Condolences to her real family/friends and the digi ones alike. Honor her memory the best way you see fit, but do not use her death for person gain, or get others to.

#TeamNoSides

I love this quote here.

Flag Post

This topic reminds me of a day in school, when a guy told a girl (in my class, tried to defend herself) something like “I hope your mom dies in cancer”. And he literally SCREAMED it, he didn’t even whispered it. Only I and a friend of mine stood up and told him to shut the fuck up, despite the whole class trying to ridicule us. If only police didn’t got me that time, I would’ve killed that son of a fuck myself even if I had to face jail for it.

In other words, lock this thread!

Flag Post
Originally posted by Redlaw:

I disagree with you everywhere else but here I agree with you on the principal of “I may hate you, but I will fight for your right to speak”.

You have no idea what my opinion is on this matter. Your thread deserves to be locked because:

1. There’s already a thread you can discuss your opinion on about the card. You made this thread for the sole purpose of getting attention.

2. The tone in your post sounds very harsh towards her death. Logic is nice and all, but when it comes to death, people (especially her friends) will view this as a hateful post.

If you really can’t see the problem in this thread that you made, then I feel pity for you.

If you would have kept reading, you’d notice in my reply that he has no idea what my opinion is on the matter. This thread should have been locked for the reasons stated above.

I could care less if he even did have a different opinion than mine.

Flag Post

Mmmh it seems that i talk to the air…

Thanks to hunterhogan that answer for me (he fights for the truth, so welcome a long text), so less work to do. I don’t remember all, and i’m too tired from work, so i try to answer what i can…
Devs don’t say anything. Don’t try to translate “don’t say anything”… Devs are free to do what they want, sure they must not have fear of disagreement from people and… it’s so obvious that…

Someone say that a card must not made, because it can be killed. I explain better: i’m not interessed in skills or if someone play it… I’m interessed in a beautiful artwork (that can’t be killed…) like someone create a wonderful portrait about something he loves… There can be particulars (like skills) in that portrait, but sometimes they’re not so relevant.
I explain the talents of neve to create skills… so in this way maybe devs can be helped to create this card.
I wanna help for the artwork too, but i’ve too little time to find someone (tonight i must do one thing… and i decide to stay here to answer…)
It’s not a good idea to create a card for a dead girl? So are stupid all the sculptors, painters,… because with time a statue can be ruined?!?!??!

We don’t know Neve’s family or IRL friends…except for sasha, i’ll talk to her, so it’s my problem to explain to her our present. I and you must not know her reaction (and a reaction can be positive or negative, based on her mood). I’ll take all the responsability…
I’ll tell her that we’re near her and we made something…and more on…
It’s sure better to tell her nothing or do nothing or…

Ps: psycho it can’t be a present a card that already exist…so neverender…sasha can decide “to kill” me with a stupid thing like this…
Lucina the wicked is a horrible way to represent the wonderful neve… (it’s better to not “represent the cancer”…)
who is dsagent? Did he never play tyrant? i understand what do you mean… if you are not interessed, probably you’re not interessed to that cards, if it’s called duiokalonicus or nevebeta, am i right? if it’s not right, probably you watch the profile of nevebeta and saw that she played tyrant…and maybe you don’t go out with that words……………but yes, who is dsagent? many people forgot you, but not i………….
Other people are dead during tyrant!?!? It’s not a reason to stop the creation of the card (or whatever devs wanna create), if we need this…
sorry for my horrible english

Flag Post
Originally posted by tudordan:

This topic reminds me of a day in school, when a guy told a girl (in my class, tried to defend herself) something like “I hope your mom dies in cancer”. And he literally SCREAMED it, he didn’t even whispered it. Only I and a friend of mine stood up and told him to shut the fuck up, despite the whole class trying to ridicule us. If only police didn’t got me that time, I would’ve killed that son of a fuck myself even if I had to face jail for it.

So, you think publicly announcing that you are capable of murder in the first degree over a case of insensitivity is a wise move to get someone to listen to your arguments?
If you are giving an internet-tough-guy-act in this thread, you are disrespectful yourself. If this is not an act, you are simply a psychopath and belong in an institution.

Flag Post
Originally posted by hunterhogan:

If you are saying that a person who purposely calls themselves PsychoRaito “can not be respectful when discussing a memorial for a person”, and that PsychoRaito’s disrespect (“Boom.” Huh?) has provoked “fairly extreme anger focused on” PsychoRaito, then I agree with you so far.

If you are saying “that the fairly extreme anger focused on psycho” is because of anything other than PsychoRaito’s own behavior, however, then I firmly disagree.

Judging PsychoRaito by his name is an ad hominem fallacy. That is disrespectful.

The initial post by PsychoRaito is not disrespectful in any way. It doesn’t say anything bad about NeveBeta or the people who want the card. It simply disagrees that a card is a good memorial and makes some decent points. As a result, he just got posts from people who disagree, but refuse to talk about the content of the post, but try to shout him down. Trying to sink a thread when you don’t want a topic to be discussed is disrespectful.

But, let’s assume that we agree that PsychoRaito has been unnecessarily rude and tactless during this discussion.

No, I was primarily referring to the people shouting him down. Putting words in my mouth is disrespectful to me. So you qualify as well due to this (and other) bad behavior.

You then say that PsychoRaito’s insulting behavior is a “good reason not to make a card.

No, it is because people like you cannot talk reasonably about it. For instance, the devs must consider the future if they grant a request like this: what will they do when another member of the community dies. This is a fair thing to discuss and is not really about NeveBeta, but more about a generic policy for situations like this. Since it is not specific to NeveBeta’s death, making a separate thread makes some sense.

Yet PsychoRaito was immediately attacked for making a separate thread, without those people asking him first why he did that. It is disrespectful to attack someone when you disagree with a choice he made, without first asking why he did that.

The overwhelming majority of players that have expressed an opinion, however, have strongly supported making a memorial card. In the entire history of Tyrant, there are extremely few issues that have had such broad and enthusiastic support. With such powerful support, it would be a joke to allow Psycho and other psychopaths to thwart so many people.

But many of those players didn’t know NeveBeta personally. So why do they express an opinion? It seems weird to me when all those people who didn’t know her suddenly know what she would have wanted or what her friends need/want. In my opinion, these kind of petitions get broad support mostly because it makes people feel good about themselves with little effort. One little +1 and they ‘did something good’, even though it may very well be very painful for some of her friends to see a memorial card be discussed in the future (like: “hey, I think NeveBeta should get an upgrade”). I wonder if her friends have really thought about the future and how painful it can be to have a card in the game, especially when they are in another stage of grieving.

Anyway, since you were disrespectful of PsychoRaito again, by calling him a psychopath, I see little point in continuing this. You just keep proving that you are way too emotional about this and your constant need to lash out says way more about you than about PsychoRaito. It also helps prove the point that a memorial is a bad idea. These raw emotions can change over time. If you make a Facebook memorial page, her friends are free to decide when they are emotionally ready to go there. If it is a card in the game, they don’t have that choice and may be confronted with the memorial when they are not emotionally ready for it. Perhaps we need to protect some of her friends from this, especially since they may be too emotional right now to realize what the consequences are of a memorial card.

Flag Post

Totally normal response there….to kill someone for saying something. I do agree this thread has reached a point of locking though.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MSUSpartan3096:

Totally normal response there….to kill someone for saying something. I do agree this thread has reached a point of locking though.

And here I was trying to have a discussion. Going “Just lock the thread” implies that there is not significant, reasoned resistance to NeveBeta getting a card in her “honor”, regardless of whatever arguments PsychoRaito spawned purely by virtue of being the OP.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spada84:

Mmmh it seems that i talk to the air…

Thanks to hunterhogan that answer for me (he fights for the truth, so welcome a long text), so less work to do. I don’t remember all, and i’m too tired from work, so i try to answer what i can…
Devs don’t say anything. Don’t try to translate “don’t say anything”… Devs are free to do what they want, sure they must not have fear of disagreement from people and… it’s so obvious that…

Someone say that a card must not made, because it can be killed. I explain better: i’m not interessed in skills or if someone play it… I’m interessed in a beautiful artwork (that can’t be killed…) like someone create a wonderful portrait about something he loves… There can be particulars (like skills) in that portrait, but sometimes they’re not so relevant.
I explain the talents of neve to create skills… so in this way maybe devs can be helped to create this card.
I wanna help for the artwork too, but i’ve too little time to find someone (tonight i must do one thing… and i decide to stay here to answer…)
It’s not a good idea to create a card for a dead girl? So are stupid all the sculptors, painters,… because with time a statue can be ruined?!?!??!

We don’t know Neve’s family or IRL friends…except for sasha, i’ll talk to her, so it’s my problem to explain to her our present. I and you must not know her reaction (and a reaction can be positive or negative, based on her mood). I’ll take all the responsability…
I’ll tell her that we’re near her and we made something…and more on…
It’s sure better to tell her nothing or do nothing or…

Ps: psycho it can’t be a present a card that already exist…so neverender…sasha can decide “to kill” me with a stupid thing like this…
Lucina the wicked is a horrible way to represent the wonderful neve… (it’s better to not “represent the cancer”…)
who is dsagent? Did he never play tyrant? i understand what do you mean… if you are not interessed, probably you’re not interessed to that cards, if it’s called duiokalonicus or nevebeta, am i right? if it’s not right, probably you watch the profile of nevebeta and saw that she played tyrant…and maybe you don’t go out with that words……………but yes, who is dsagent? many people forgot you, but not i………….
Other people are dead during tyrant!?!? It’s not a reason to stop the creation of the card (or whatever devs wanna create), if we need this…
sorry for my horrible english

+1

Say what you want about the initial post, a large majority of the content in this threat is clearly mean for the intent to troll. Please Lock the Thread

Flag Post

Snip

Flag Post

@ Qwandri I did not mean to quote hunterhogan in my original post, I was trying to quote spada84. It was an error; you caught it before I could edit it (Fixed my original post). I do not agree with hunter on this, I feel majority of the content of this thread has the intention of trolling and think it should be locked.

Flag Post

TBH this thread has very little trolling. At the most it could use a title change.
This thread versus the others is more of a neutral ground for discussion, that doesn’t intrude on threads dedicated to neve.

If this is lock worthy, so are the two threads dedicated to Neve. As nobody putting this private information is related or a real world friend of hers.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MSUSpartan3096:

And here I was trying to have a discussion. Going “Just lock the thread” implies that there is not significant, reasoned resistance to NeveBeta getting a card in her “honor”, regardless of whatever arguments PsychoRaito spawned purely by virtue of being the OP.

I understand where you are coming from, but it has been 2-3 days now, we are on our 4th page of this thread and people have had their chance to voice opposition or support. We have yet to see the DEVS make any comment whatsoever on this topic despite there being multiple threads. They have had a full day back at work today and said nothing. It seems to me that discussing the pros and cons of something the DEVS haven’t given their opinon on yet just seems a little out of the spirit of what Spada and others proposed.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Spada84:

I met a traveller from an antique land,
Who said—“Two vast and trunkless legs of stone
Stand in the desert. . . . Near them, on the sand,
Half sunk a shattered visage lies, whose frown,
And wrinkled lip, and sneer of cold command,
Tell that its sculptor well those passions read
Which yet survive, stamped on these lifeless things,
The hand that mocked them, and the heart that fed;
And on the pedestal, these words appear:
My name is Ozymandias, King of Kings;
Look on my Works, ye Mighty, and despair!
Nothing beside remains. Round the decay
Of that colossal Wreck, boundless and bare
The lone and level sands stretch far away.”

Ozymandias
BY PERCY BYSSHE SHELLEY

http://www.poetryfoundation.org/learning/guide/238972#poem

Echoes of Ozymandias in the Siq, Petra, Jordan 1

Flag Post

stop this nonsense. This topic is disgraceful.

Flag Post

I have tried to talk myself out of commenting, but I just have to.

First, having lost people very close to me, I can sympathize with those who are hurting from the loss of a friend. But I do not think that a memorial card is appropriate. As others have said, the monetization of the loss of a person is abhorrent. Reducing the memory of a human being who felt love and happiness and pain and joy to a digital card in a game because her friends and colleagues want it is not appropriate. If Neve started a petition and got support, I would be all for it, but this drips with the pain and impotent rage of loved ones who are feeling loss and want to direct that frustration and anger and pain into something else.

An online reminder of a lost friend may seem like a good idea, but with it comes far too many negatives. Deedle made a regenerate joke on page three of this thread that made me ill, and there was NO outrage about it. What do you think the widespread response is going to be when 5000 people a day see this card, have no idea about its function, purpose or reason, and come to the forums or their faction chat and want to be smartasses about it? Where is the respect for a loved on going to be? A memorial is for those who have memories of the person. They should be personal and meaningful. Let those who have memories of Neve grieve and mourn in their own way, without pushing an uneducated and generally unkind group into the mix.

HunterHogan, you have been a generally mature and respected voice in this community through the years I have played this game, but I feel that the rationality and maturity you usually display have been completely dropped in this discussion. In your previous post you propose that “it would be a joke to allow Psycho and other psychopaths to thwart so many people”. Since when does having an opinion contrary to the majority group people into the “psychopath” category? You propose that “it doesn’t make any sense to argue that we should, or should not, have a memorial card by talking about the game itself or by talking about impersonal issues such as justice and fairness”, but you are having the discussion about inserting this memorial into an inherently impersonal system. You yourself in one of your first posts here posited that every card could be broken down to a mathematical value and compared to all others. Furthermore, the concepts of justice and fairness are INTENSELY personal. Every single individual has different opinions on what is fair or just. The law is impersonal, I guarantee you didn’t go to justice school.

For fear of this becoming a hunterhogan style post, I will close with this. It is terrifyingly ironic that hunterhogan would quote Ozymandias in this thread. The true irony of the poem is that the Ozymandias statue is no longer surrounded by the vibrant and amazing world it was created in, but a desolate and decayed wasteland. What happens when Tyrant dies? Where does Neve’s memorial go then? Don’t create something now out of pain and sorrow and emotion only to have to watch it break apart later.

Flag Post
Originally posted by jamie77:

stop this nonsense. This topic is disgraceful.

I do believe this is exactly the time we should not shut up as for once the forums are being used for the right reasons.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Deedle:
Originally posted by JoketrickSkiff:

NeveBeta already had a card.

It’s settled then, Neve already has a card made after her. Let’s all go home.

I guess the regen should be taken off if this is NeveBetas card.

+ Disease ??