Lost all game progress page 2

64 posts

Flag Post

Not the issue, Lanfeust. Something has changed recently and we are losing progress on games that take a lot of time to get. Kingdom Rush, gone. Splitter, BTD4, etc. Kong needs to be responsive on this!

Flag Post

I’ve stopped playing games on Kong since last week. It’s frustrating to put in a bunch of time on a game only to lose your progress every time. I appreciate Zshadow’s help but I’m no further ahead with this problem. Nothing has changed on my computer other than a Flash and FF update, and I don’t have a problem with data retention on other flash-based sites I visit so I suspect that there’s been a change at the Kong end that is causing the problem.

Flag Post

I can assure you we did not change anything with the website as to how flash cookies are stored. o.O

It seems like only a select few users are experiencing this problem, and not everything, so this leads us to believe it may be a software problem.

If you will all please fill out the following information, it will help:

Web browser: (Please include version)
Operating system:
Adobe flash player version:
Tried other web browsers?:

Flag Post

i’ve actually been having this exact problem for a while but i assumed it was a local issue, so i’ll explain as much as i can plus a TEMPORARY FIX i use, which is also sort of annoying.

Web browser is firefox 9.0.1 (i refuse to update because better kong isnt compatible with latest update)
Operating system is XP service pack 3
Adobe flash version 11,1,102,55 (apparently my chrome is using an older version, how odd)
and i dont go on kong on any other browsers.

i do have Ccleaner but i only use the registry defrag function on it, i also have Iobit advanced system care but i’ve specifically told it NOT to delete temp files and junk files (not that i run it that often anyway) and before you ask, my firefox is set to save cookies. i also left my computer on gemcraft chapter 0 after i played it a little and when i got back, it had an error message that said i couldn’t save my game?

the temporary fix i use which can be helpful to other people is i manually save my game files. for those that don’t know, open the run box and type “%appdata&” without quotes then go to >macromedia>flash player>#sharedobjects and your save files are the folders with random numbers and letters as the folder name (if you go in them, you can probably figure out what game they belong to)

im getting sick of manually saving my game so any help would be appreciated

EDIT: was just playing kingdom rush (getting back to what i had before saves got deleted) and whilst copying my save file, i noticed that after i closed down chrome (ff was running kingdom rush) and quit skype that my save disappeared from my #sharedobjects folder. i respeced my ability tree in the game and it came back, but it was still weird how it just disappeared?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

I can assure you we did not change anything with the website as to how flash cookies are stored. o.O

It seems like only a select few users are experiencing this problem, and not everything, so this leads us to believe it may be a software problem.

If you will all please fill out the following information, it will help:

Web browser: (Please include version)
Operating system:
Adobe flash player version:
Tried other web browsers?:

FF 10.0.1
XP SP 3
Flash 11,1,102,55
Tried Chrome and had the same problem.
For AV I’m running MS Security Essentials. I also have NoScript (disabled for kongregate.com) and AdBlock (disabled for kongregate.com)
I don’t allow CC to clear the Flash temp files.
FF is set to save cookies and not delete them on close.

One thing I’ve noticed is that although I tell Flash I want Kong to have unlimited storage, it keeps resetting to 100kb. Someone else mentioned this I think.

Let me know if you need anything else. I don’t want to lose my Kong!

Flag Post

Web browser: Chrome 17.0.963.09
Operating system: XP sp3
Adobe flash player version: Version: 11,1,102,55
Tried other web browsers?: No

Flag Post

Update: It looks like the culprit might be Internet Explorer. I tried a test run opening my Flash shared folder, running and saving a game on Kong, then opening and closing various programs. When I opened and closed IE the folder got wiped. I checked the IE settings and it was set to wipe all browsing history on close.

I don’t quite understand how this was wiping my games as I never use IE but after I changed the setting to NOT wipe browser history the saved games have been preserved.

I have a sneaky suspicion that although I don’t run IE, Windows was occasionally wiping my Flash folders because IE was set to do that…but do I sound too paranoid?

I still don’t have an explanation as to why Flash keeps resetting the amount of storage allocated to Kongregate.com.

Flag Post

I’m having exactly the same problem, Kingdom Rush, Epic War 5, SCGMD4… all gone.
And since I haven’t changed anything lately, well, yeah… it’s kinda annoying.
Web browser: Google Chrome 15.0.874.120
Operating system: MacOS 10.7.3
Adobe flash player version: 11.1.102.55
Tried other web browsers?: Yep, Safari doesn’t save either.

Flag Post

i have losed my guns and money on tdp4 there was a restart the game warning and floosh everything away so i want it back!!!

Flag Post
Originally posted by snoeprex:

i have losed my guns and money on tdp4 there was a restart the game warning and floosh everything away so i want it back!!!

You need to contact the devs then – that information is saved server side.

Flag Post

I’ve been having the same prob lately just changed the storage settings on the adobe flash player for that chat kongregate stuff to unlimited so I will see what happens.

Flag Post

Nooooooooooo!!!!! I have played SCGMD4 from the time it came out and few minutes ago I took that game and my save file was gone!! :( I use Internet Explorer. It has never happened before with any games! That’s the first time! My adobe flash player version is 10. I tried chrome too but nothing:(.

Flag Post

Firefox users can try the following fix:

Clear the Network Cache

Clear Cookies Cache

Found this while trying to get Yahoo! Slideshows to work. I have kept my data for 48 hours already. Longest period so far this year.

Flag Post
Originally posted by near21:

Firefox users can try the following fix:

Clear the Network Cache

Clear Cookies Cache

Found this while trying to get Yahoo! Slideshows to work. I have kept my data for 48 hours already. Longest period so far this year.

No this will actually wipe the Flash cookies and you’ll lose your saved game. Firefox wipes Flash temporary files when it wipes cookies.

After I made the IE fix above I haven’t lost another saved game.

Flag Post

I must have had a corrupt file/cookie. I was losing everything anyway. It worked for me, just thought I’d post it. Use at your own risk!!!

Flag Post

Just for the record, I am experiencing this problem as well. Windows XP, Firefox (latest), Flash 11.1. Flash is set to unlimited storage, and Firefox is set to keep all cookies until they expire.

I’ve noticed this most recently with the game Kingdom Rush ( a game which even has a disclaimer for save game issues). Over the past week, it has deleted my save game file on two occasions. I’ve shut down my computer multiple times during that period and it didn’t delete the file – it really seems to occur randomly. The first time I was about 5 stages in, the second I was very near fully completing the game – two very different sizes for the .sol files.

After playing games on Kongregate for the past two years this is the first and only time it has ever happened to me and only with the game Kingdom Rush thus far. I think the fact that everyone who has mentioned this problem has also mentioned the game Kingdom Rush shows that there might be a problem with specific games, particularly since Kingdom Rush even mentions on the game page that people have been having issues with saving.

Flag Post

Maybe Kongregate should ask the developers if they are hearing much feedback from this. I know that there were lots of complaints in the Raze 2 comment section about it before I quit playing because I kept losing my data. That game also has a disclaimer about the game save issue.

Flag Post

I’m having the same issue, with both Firefox and Chrome, which I haven’t solved, but maybe I have some info that’ll help someone else find the solution. This problem started for me right around the time that I started deleting cookies automatically after shutting down. So I tried adding kongregate as an exception and that didn’t work. I noticed that, if you make an exception to allow kongregate cookies, then go and look at the cookies individually, some cookies, like your password, are stored for a few weeks as they’re supposed to, but most of the game saves are set as session cookies that expire when you close firefox.

This was my experiment:
1) Set firefox to disallow all cookies
2) Add www.kongregate.com as the only exception (set to allow, not allow for session)
3) Visit kongregate.com, login, and start your favourite game (Kingdom Rush for me)
4) Go Tools-Options-Privacy and click “Show cookies”
5) In the kongregate.com folder, note the expiry dates on www_pass, and kong_game_###### (# signs replaced by some game ID number, 133293 for Kingdom Rush). For me, the game ID expires at the end of the session, and the password file expires in 2 weeks.
6) Close firefox and reopen, visit kongregate, and notice that your login is saved, but your savegame is gone.

To me this means that game save cookies are specifically configured to expire at the end of my browser session. Either that or the game cookies are considered to exist under some other domain name, armorgames.com for example, and firefox and chrome both compromise by keeping them for the session only.

Hope this is helpful.

Flag Post

Oh dear, as soon as I post my issue I seem to have solved it. We’ll see how it goes, but it looks like setting flash memory to unlimited did the trick, and that game ID cookie is still getting deleted, so the save is obviously not in there.

Not quite sure what I did, but one thing I could suggest is to make sure your browser is not deleting your site preferences on exit. That might prevent flash from resetting its memory settings when you restart your browser.

Flag Post

Well. not limited.
I have been on Kong since 08. I know about what to do and not to do to save files.

Recently I have had issues as described. I am writing now due to a really strange thing to me. I have not closed the browser, FF. I have not changed settings, I did not make an update. I was playing necronator 2, switched to shadowland online to build things, then back to necronator 2. All save files were wiped. I have nothing under chat.kongregate.com.
Frustrating? Thankfully no I have some files backed up, like hundreds of hours on Gemcraft.
So what is the common denominator?

While I appreciate geduldens last epic post, it should not be this difficult to play a flash game and have stored data.
I guess I have to open the game, create a new .sol, and edit it to play the game.. oh wait guess thats cheating…

Flag Post

Started late dec 2011 or early jan 2012
Chrome and IE (up to date)
Set to auto-update Flash
Different computers, one Vista and one Win7 (up to date)
Both computers 2G ram and AVG

This save game wipe does not happen while I am actively using the game but if I close out my browser for a while after playing a system intensive Kongregate game it will occur.

I wonder if it could be caused by games that use more and more RAM while running, past a certain point where something in the OS or antivirus flags it. For example, last night while I was playing Immortal Souls: Dark Crusade I got an AVG popup warning me that my browser was using just under 385 M of ram (just for Kong). The game was clearly animating more and more slowly because of RAM issues.

So can anyone confirm having this problem who has 4G+ of RAM and/or who is running Norton/Kaspersky/Comodo/etc?

Flag Post

I was also playing Immortal Souls with Chrome, when suddenly the game hitched and froze for a brief second, then displayed the message “missing plug-in,” even when I refreshed (I was listening to music on youtube at the same time, and it displayed the same message. And yeah, my pc is definitely capable of running both). I went to “about:plugins” and disabled the flash plugin, then reenabled it. The game/music would now load, but now my save is gone! Any ideas?

Flag Post

Ahar! Restarting Chrome fixed it

Flag Post

Had the same issue, you can just go to Armored Games, wich will save youre game, Kongregate however, has Achievements and stuff, Its really anoying how alot of Great games have this

Flag Post

Is there any way to delete cookies and temp internet files, but keep kongregate’s cookies and temp files saved? I’ve been trying to find a way but no luck.