Saved data loss

5 posts

Flag Post

I’m using MochiAd’s MochiCrypt service to make sure that I always have the latest game version running on this site. Any time I upload a new version of Zilch to their version control system it is automatically pushed out to all the places I uploaded the game to.

On Kongregate any time a new version is pushed out, all of the SharedObject data for anybody who played the game vanishes. The SWF that I uploaded to Kongregate has not changed but the SharedObject data (and by that token all of a player’s game stats) vanish.

When I say vanish it appears that Flash creates a new shared object and uses that. I had a rummage through my #SharedObjects folder and found a number of .sol files for zilch but I can’t be certain about when they were created.

Is there some code in the game container that intercepts SharedObject calls and modifies them? Is the container modifying the SharedObject path? I really want to update the game but I don’t want everybody’s saved data to disappear (again…).

G.

Flag Post

Might have more luck asking in the Programming Forum, as I doubt most people who offer support in this forum are that advanced in Flash.

Revolutioneyes: Razz must remain a paradoxal enigmatic mystery.

Flag Post

Seeing that this was the Kongregate tech support forum, they would be the people to ask about a problem that my be related to the Kongregate system. It’s not really a programming problem, it’s a Kongregate one.

I shall try posting elsewhere though, thanks for the suggestion.

Flag Post

Indeed. However, is this .sol file replacement only happening for the Kong version? It may very well be an issue on MochiAd’s part concerning this site. So if posting in the Programming forum doesn’t work, head over to them and ask.

Revolutioneyes: Razz must remain a paradoxal enigmatic mystery.

Flag Post

I’ve already asked Mochi about this problem, they’re looking into it at their end. I have a version of the game that is hosted on my own site:

http://zilch.playr.co.uk

Any time I update the game the saved data is fine on my site but vanishes on Kongregate. Most curious, most frustrating. I’m honing in on the problem, it seems to be Kongregate specific.