Infectonator 2 - being directed to http://assets...swf which does not respond

22 posts

Flag Post

I’d played Infectonator 2 prior to it getting badges, and it had been working fine. Now I get a blank screen.

I’ve never actually had this issue on here before, though I have heard of it. Flash player is up to date, and I’ve tried reinstalling it. I get the same blank screen on both Firefox and Chrome, and they’re both up to date, and I’ve tried reinstalling them. I’ve tried running with no extensions/plugins. I’ve tried ProtectedMode=0. I’ve set flash’s local storage allowance to unlimited (although usually it isn’t).

Etc. Suggestions?

Flag Post

FWIW, I haven’t yet come across any other games that are failing to load, but I’ve only tried a handful so far today.

Flag Post

Okay. Infectonator World Dominator seems to be getting stuck at the loading screen now too. Has something changed that might have broken the preloaders of these particular games?

Flag Post

Works fine for me. Try a hard refresh, CTRL+F5 and see if it loads.

Flag Post

While I appreciate the response. I wrote in the OP that I’d already tried reinstalling both browsers. Refreshing does not make any difference.

I’ve found that the game does load on my Linux boot (but unsurprisingly runs so badly that it’s unplayable). What could have become broken on my windows boot? As I said, it only appears to be this one guy’s games that are affected.

Flag Post

I really hope somebody is actually reading this.

I’ve tracked down the problem, I think. For some reason the page is trying to load the game’s SWF from http://assets.kongregate.com/ instead of http://chat.kongregate.com/ – which would explain why I found the relevant SOL file under /assets. As the links show, the former does not exist (although the fact that I found the SOL where I did implies that it did exist there at one point?).

I don’t know enough about web coding to understand why it’s being pointed to the wrong place, but is it possibly due to a malformed (or misinterpreted) CSS? In my logs I’m seeing a LOT of CSS errors. I guess I don’t understand what could cause that to work okay on my Linux boot, though, or why it would be consistently getting this wrong on every browser I’ve tried in Windows.

Flag Post

Yeah I’m getting the same problem with you.

Flag Post

Bumpity bump.

To do even more of your troubleshooting/debugging for you, here’s the (apparently?) offending piece of source that I wind up seeing on this page at line 1072 (with irrelevant stuff removed, and newlines added so it doesn’t break this thread):

<script type="text/javascript">
//<![CDATA[
function activateGame() {
      swfobject.embedSWF("http://assets.kongregate.com/gamez/0015/1307/live/Infectonator2WithABS.swf
?kongregate_game_version=1349338670","gamediv","720","480","6",
"/flash/expressInstall.swf",swfobject_flash_vars,
{"wmode":"direct","bgcolor":"#000000","allownetworking":"all","allowscriptaccess":"never",
"base":"http://assets.kongregate.com/gamez/0015/1307/live/"},{});
 };
//]]>
</script>

Why is this happening?

Flag Post

The developers for Kongregate, including Greg and rawismojo, won’t be back until tomorrow (Monday). You probably won’t receive a reply until then.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

The developers for Kongregate, including Greg and rawismojo, won’t be back until tomorrow (Monday). You probably won’t receive a reply until then.

Yah, understood.

Flag Post

Okay, this is pretty strange.

I went to check out exactly why it does seem to work on my Linux boot, and it turns out that it is still loading the game from assets – and yet, in Linux, this link works fine (edit: or at least, it loads – I did not actually play it very far to check that it works completely). In windows, that URL simply times out – it doesn’t even give me a 404 error, as you’d expect from a nonexistent file, it just hangs.

Really getting confused here.

Flag Post

Bump.

Still happening.

Flag Post

Have you tried clearing your recent cookies/cache?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Zshadow:

Have you tried clearing your recent cookies/cache?

Yes.

Plus, it happens even on browsers with which I’d never visited kongregate before, and I understand that they don’t generally share cookies/caches. (And I even tried removing the game’s .sol.)

Besides, how would this explain being unable to retrieve the swf at //assets in Windows but not in Linux? Unless you’re suggesting that the page should be loading //chat (should it?) – in which case, why was I still being directed to //assets in Linux?

Edit: just to be completely clear, I tried creating a GET request in Fiddler to retrieve the //assets swf and it still just times out.

Flag Post

I’ve had the same problem. Hope it can be fixed – preferably before the challenge is gone…

Flag Post

The Challenge is for Ultimate Assassin 3.

v It must be a contest, then.

Flag Post

The Challenge is for Ultimate Assassin 3.

There’s still 2 days left on the Infectonator 2 Challenge.

Just as a note, the two links I provided initially are both dead. The swf that the Infectonator 2 page is now trying to retrieve is the same as before, minus the “WithABS” at the end.

That is, this page is now trying to retrieve this file (as I said), which times out, instead of this file which works perfectly.

v It must be a contest, then.

Yes, the Master Assassin ‘challenge’ is a contest, though both are listed as ‘challenges’.

Flag Post

Soo… No help coming?

Flag Post

I still have this issue with Infectonator 2 and Rogue soul seems to have the same problem.

Flag Post

Yeah, actually. Same here.

This file fails to load, but this file loads fine.

And in fact, it turns out I can’t even ping assets.kongregate.com:

Pinging kong-LON01.inscname.net [5.79.16.219] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

- whereas chat.kongregate.com responds:

Pinging a1421.g.akamai.net [92.123.153.211] with 32 bytes of data:

Reply from 92.123.153.211: bytes=32 time=32ms TTL=57
Reply from 92.123.153.211: bytes=32 time=31ms TTL=57

Flag Post

The redirection isn’t a browser/OS issue. Infectonator 2 is at http://assets.kongregate.com/gamez/0015/1307/live/Infectonator2.swf?kongregate_game_version=1349671733

That said, it’s strange that you aren’t being able to load it from there. I’m gonna guess that almost noone is getting this problem, since those are popular games and there would be a lot of posts if this was a general issue.

I just loaded the game and everything went fine, and obviously, pinging it worked from here.

Enable URL javascript in your browser and enter javascript:document.getElementById('game_wrapper').innerHTML=document.getElementById('game_wrapper').innerHTML.replace("assets","chat");void(0); after loading the game with issues. That should allow you to play it without having to access the direct SWF’s URL while you find an actual fix.

Flag Post

has there been any official fix for this? I’ve been having this issue with a few recent games (400 Years, Band of Heroes, Renegade Racing), and I would really like to play them.

Edit The javascript fix above makes the games playable, but the automatic badge awarding does not work.