Entire Site Down For Most page 2

120 posts

Flag Post

You’re welcome.

The IP addresses are variable.

The address starting with 23 is Akamai, which stores Kong’s files all over the world and tries to give them to each requester from a local address. Since I am in PA, the address I received is in Maryland. Hardcoding the address defeats the purpose of Akamai’s system, but at least everybody can play games. Which is why everybody should disable those lines once the crisis is over.

The address starting with 184 is Amazon Elastic Compute Cloud (in California.) If you aren’t in the IT business, you don’t want to know what that does.

Flag Post

It didn’t work for me… did i miss anything? when i save the host while it creates new file. thanks!

Flag Post

It didn’t work for me either. But without creating a new file.

Flag Post

deactivate user access control or start notepad as admin. if it still doesn’t work, clear your browser cache (specifically, firefox seems to need this. sometimes. oh, well…).

Flag Post

did that (added ips in hosts), can play legacy of heroes on firefox, but chrome still freezes on 100%. That didn’t happen before this dns blackout

Flag Post

worked for me, thank you sol

Flag Post

Hosts are almost always write protected and in a write protected directory. using a specialized piece of software to edit your hosts file can be helpful for non- power users. on windows, i use hostsman http://www.abelhadigital.com/hostsman ; on mac i use hosts.prefpane http://permanentmarkers.nl/software.html if you are using a *nix clone, you should know how to use vim :p

Flag Post

Thank you for the temporary solution until the admins fix the servers, solprovider! You truly are a solution provider. ;D

Flag Post

it works accept for call of gods. It said “You are not logged in”. Any idea to fix it?

Flag Post

Be careful that Windows doesn’t add an extension, which you often cannot see because Windows is typically set to hide file extensions. If the file becomes HOSTS.TXT, Windows will not use it.

As far as which browser to use, your best choice is to change browsers, simply because a different browser will need to read the new settings and not have any files cached. I would suggest Firefox people try Opera, and Opera people try Firefox.

(Chrome has replicated almost all the flaws of IE; is experimental and changes bugs constantly; and deliberately messed up Flash saves the day after the announcement that Chrome was the most popular browser. I don’t like software that messes with my Kong playing. Just my opinion.)

Flag Post
Originally posted by solprovider:

[…] and deliberately messed up Flash saves the day after the announcement that Chrome was the most popular browser. […]

well, to be fair, it “just” changed to location where its .sol files are stored. annoying – yes, but only because they didn’t bother to document that change (or copy the old .sol files to the new location)

Flag Post
Originally posted by asahivita:

it works accept for call of gods. It said “You are not logged in”. Any idea to fix it?

tried the same by adding 184.173.243.149 m2-kongregate.callofgods.com (as i play on M2) on host, but didn’t worked :(

Flag Post

call of gods requires chat.kongregate.com to be redirected as well.

Flag Post

added 23.15.7.104 chat.kongregate.com without result ^^;

Flag Post

still: http://s9-kongregate.callofgods.com/ “you are not logged in” after adding all those texts.

Flag Post

@nono_boulot
kongregate.com’s DNS was wiped out. A competent Internet administrator should need about 10 minutes to fix this, assuming how to integrate the Akamai and Amazon parts was documented. (Most admins would just save the page or take a screenshot when it was working.) This problem should not affect m2-kongregate.callofgods.com because that server name is handled by the CoG Admins of callofgods.com, not the Kong Admins of kongregate.com.

When I was first documenting, I saw this IP address, but it changed while I was double-checking everything:
23.15.7.129 chat.kongregate.com

@Melorian
Besides the implementation with no warning and no transition, a second location means more work backing up save files, and needing to move files just to switch browsers on a single computer. Chrome broke trust with me (and everybody who cares about Flash save files.)

Flag Post

Classic ,after few days we recieve info ,that some hacker stole half o their client database but just stay cool.Chance your passwords and everything will be ok.Like last time i spend money on Internet game:-(And its Sony so i pretend no lame ppl.Mistake.

Flag Post

1. If you have a modern version of MS Windows, Start – Run – then enter:
notepad SystemRoot\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

Everybody else, read here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_(file)

2. Add these 4 lines to the bottom of the file:

75.98.92.205 kongregate.com www.kongregate.com developers.kongregate.com api.kongregate.com a.kongregate.com

75.98.92.206 of1.kongregate.com bosh1.kongregate.com

23.15.7.104 chat.kongregate.com cdn1.kongregate.com cdn2.kongregate.com cdn3.kongregate.com cdn4.kongregate.com internal.kongregate.com external.kongregate-games.com

184.169.160.102 assets.kongregate.com

3. Save.

4. Kong should work after refreshing. Please PM me if I missed a server name.

5. When the Admins fix Kong, you can disable this by opening the file again, and adding a # at the beginning of those 4 lines, like: # 184.169.160.102 assets.kongregate.com

Worked. Thank you

Flag Post

@Melorian
Besides the implementation with no warning and no transition, a second location means more work backing up save files, and needing to move files just to switch browsers on a single computer. Chrome broke trust with me (and everybody who cares about Flash save files.)

savegames aside, i think the change was a move in the right direction. the browser developers just start to really care about .sol files and their possible “malicious” usage (tracking sol cookies etc.) – for example, firefox now deletes all sol files when cookies are cleared (which also did not have a transition and lead to many permanent wipes of all save games, by the way – how didn’t that break your trust?). if you write software, would you like it if a third party program wipes your program’s saved data as some side effect? no? see, google didn’t like that either, hence the “non-standard” location.

Flag Post

solproviders solution worked for getting (and connected) to knong again but the game (shadowland online) will not get connected; “incorrect account and/or password” message.

:(

Flag Post

1. If you have a modern version of MS Windows, Start – Run – then enter:
notepad SystemRoot\system32\drivers\etc\hosts

If not then you can do this:

Type: CMD into the search box in the start menu.
Press: (CTRL + SHIFT + ENTER) to open CMD in administrator mode.
Type: cd drivers\etc
Type: notepad hosts

Which you can then follow the other steps.

Flag Post

Anyone having trouble saving the file in windows, you need to run notepad as an administrator to edit the hosts file. Also make sure you save the file as “all types” rather than a .txt
That is all

Flag Post

Thank you very much solprovider :)

Dear Kongregate owners/admins, some kind of info would have been really nice.

Flag Post

I wonder how MUCH Kong kreds we will receive from Kongregate for compensation !!!! Do you hear me Kongregate admin???!!!!

Flag Post

It’s been 4 hours now and not a peep. I’m assuming everyone who keeps Kong running is American and asleep at the moment?