Entire Site Down For Most page 4

120 posts

Flag Post

Apparently one of the admins is working on fixing it right now. “Okay, one of our guys is trying to fix, will take a few minutes.” — TrickyRodent

Flag Post

Hey guys. I am so, so sorry about this. Almost all of us are on the west coast so this happened in the middle of the night when we were all asleep. As has been mentioned, our DNS provider “went poof” (their words) and we are fixing things as quickly as we can. Nothing malicious happened (this happened to other sites that use the same provider) and it was nothing we changed, but I apologize you all went so long with the site broken and no update from us. Unfortunately, no DNS meant that we were not receiving email from anyone outside of @Kongregate.com overnight and while we have phone alerts set up for many things—this wasn’t one of them.

We will get it all sorted as quickly as we possibly can and will do everything we can (including changing DNS providers) to make sure this doesn’t happen again. Thank you for your patience and for sticking with us.

Flag Post

:D

Flag Post

I hope that in the future Kong Admin will be notified of when their DNS server gets knocked offline.

Just a suggestion…

Flag Post

Thanks for fixing it, I was afraid I lost my LoH account

Flag Post

i understan they fixed some things …. but we cant still log in some mmo’s like call of gods

Flag Post
Originally posted by PHEN0M:

i understan they fixed some things …. but we cant still log in some mmo’s like call of gods

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/310266?page=2#posts-6558190

Flag Post
Originally posted by RenegadeSpade:

I hope that in the future Kong Admin will be notified of when their DNS server gets knocked offline.

Just a suggestion…

We’ll certainly be looking into our notification system and making sure everything is well covered for the future. The main issue was the our DNS provider wasn’t actually down, it just deleted all our entries which is not something we prepared contingency plans for. Turns out things can fail in new and spectacular ways! We’ll do our best to learn from all of this and make sure we do everything we can to a) make sure it doesn’t happen again and b) make sure we know about it sooner if it does.

This post has been removed by an administrator or moderator

Flag Post
Originally posted by trickyrodent:

things can fail in new and spectacular ways!

Man, ain’t that the truth. The more trips I take around the sun, the more I realize this.

But, yeah. We’re scrambling and figuring it out, and then there will be a lot of very smart people trying their darndest to thing of ways to keep this sort of thing from ever happening again.

I’ll get right on it!

Flag Post
Originally posted by AlisonClaire:
Originally posted by RenegadeSpade:

Just a suggestion…

We’ll certainly be looking into our notification system and making sure everything is well covered for the future. The main issue was the our DNS provider wasn’t actually down, it just deleted all our entries which is not something we prepared contingency plans for. Turns out things can fail in new and spectacular ways! We’ll do our best to learn from all of this and make sure we do everything we can to a) make sure it doesn’t happen again and b) make sure we know about it sooner if it does.

Oh and when they fail they fail. If that isn’t the truth!!!

Hope you guys learned and had fun with todays foray into exciting problems with a DNS service!

Best of luck to resolving your issues!
For those still having issues while Kong resolves things on their end
Resolving DNS problems by moving to Open DNS
This should help some people maybe not all.

Best of luck to Kong admin and you Kongers out there in your gaming adventures!

Flag Post

I was online in BYM when the problem happened around 4:00am EST. I was able to play the game with no friend list, but others trying to get on could not and were posting about the problem in the game chat.

@AlisonClaire – Thank you for your posts about what happened. It’s nice to hear that Kong seems to care about its users.

Flag Post

Yeah, thanks Alison (and other admin peeps) for actually saying what happened, in my time zone it’s been down all day, which gave me sad face :( But knowing you now know the problem and have explained I’m super happy face again! :D Thanks! :D

Flag Post

I vote for New World Order taking over all servers Worldwide!

Kong merely a lowly pawn in charge of entertaining a few misfits .. ahahaha

Flag Post

You guys ROCK :) Thank you for updating us and treating us like people not numbers in your bank :) :) TY TY TY

Flag Post

I’m unable to get any page to load on my computer. No idea why I can get on here with my phone, but it works here. I changed dns,cleared all cache and still havent had any luck getting a single page to load, just tells me that the site can’t be found. what else can I try?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Scyn:

I’m unable to get any page to load on my computer. No idea why I can get on here with my phone, but it works here. I changed dns,cleared all cache and still havent had any luck getting a single page to load, just tells me that the site can’t be found. what else can I try?

Caching is still keeping things broken for some people. https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using is complicated but should fix it for you. I’m so sorry for the troubles :(

Flag Post

site is still fucced up for me – playing the godfather on kongregate, and cant connect. Will never spend money on this site EVER again.

Flag Post
Originally posted by kearney:

site is still fucced up for me – playing the godfather on kongregate, and cant connect. Will never spend money on this site EVER again.

We’re contacting Kabam to try and get the problem fixed. Unfortunately we’ve done everything we can do on our side, their servers have the bad DNS results cached so need to be cleared and pick up the fixed results.

Flag Post

Do you have an estimate of how long it will take for all games to be back up again?

Flag Post
Originally posted by Scyn:

Caching is still keeping things broken for some people. https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using is complicated but should fix it for you. I’m so sorry for the troubles :(

well I tried that before and it didn’t work, but did it again and it did lol thanks :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by Wishie:

Do you have an estimate of how long it will take for all games to be back up again?

Unfortunately, I don’t. We have no way of knowing when each game will pick up the good information. We’re contacting the affected developers which hopefully can speed up the process.

Flag Post
Originally posted by Wishie:

Unfortunately, I don’t. We have no way of knowing when each game will pick up the good information. We’re contacting the affected developers which hopefully can speed up the process.

If the developers and the DNS servers cooperate, what would you say is the fastest estimated time for games to be back up? I am asking because I don’t know how long the process usually is.

Also, would you say it’s a safe estimate for games like Call of Gods to take a little longer to back up since it’s approximately 4 am at their headquarters at the moment?

Just trying to understand the situation better, thanks. ^^

Flag Post

thanks for clarifying what exactly happened, and seeing as it’s something outside of Kong’s crew’s hands.. ah well shit happens lol

perhaps you can let us know when the DNS is working as it should again on the frontpage? I know quite a few peiople (me included) that edited their hosts file to get kong working again :) (changing DNS to google or another DNS server did not work for me)

Flag Post

@Wishie no worries, I totally understand. I wish I had an actual answer but I have no idea how long the games keep things cached for. You’re spot on with Call of Gods, it’s the middle of the night in China so they’re unlikely to see our emails and be able to manually force clear their cache. If I get any sense of any time frame I will definitely post it, sorry for not having any helpful information.