If you are having Kongregate problems, try this.

13 posts

Flag Post

Last night our DNS provider failed. We have fixed the root problem, and will be switching to a more reliable provider.

Because DNS is cached, you may still experience problems connecting to Kongregate, depending on what your DNS server is.

Google operates a free public DNS server, and it has correct entries for Kongregate. If you want to switch to using it, here’s how to do it:

https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using

Flag Post

Thank you for the information, and for fixing it.

Flag Post

Thanks for fixing the error :)

Flag Post
Originally posted by gtmeteor:

Will this fix the ‘Incorrect game auth token’ problem too?
Some of the games are not accessible due to well ‘Sorry, kong auth failed’.

After reading in other parts of forums, no… it won’t fix it as it’s the game server’s cache ‘problem’:

http://www.kongregate.com/forums/1-kongregate/topics/310266-kongregate-error-authentication-all-the-online-games-are-inaccessible?page=3#posts-6558254

Flag Post
Originally posted by gtmeteor:

Will this fix the ‘Incorrect game auth token’ problem too?
Some of the games are not accessible due to well ‘Sorry, kong auth failed’.

Would like to know this as well.

Also why public DNS over OpenDNS, does it not serve the same function? Or is Public DNS your preference?

Flag Post

PublicDNS already has a record of correct entries for the site. That was probably the service that Kongregate decided to use for a back-up. Off hand, I’d say it’s because of Google and how reliable their cloud services are.

Flag Post
Originally posted by adv0catus:

PublicDNS already has a record of correct entries for the site. That was probably the service that Kongregate decided to use for a back-up. Off hand, I’d say it’s because of Google and how reliable their cloud services are.

Google Removal Requests
Google User Data Requests
Ars-Tech Report on why PublicDNS isn’t for everyone
APC magazine: why public-dns is bad

Being the superpower of the internet google has become it is a well known fact that they are prone to tracking things and have been required to track many things. OpenDNS also has solved for many friends of mine on Kong the same issue primarily because the have the entries that public-DNS has, and will not cache user information. So again I ask why the push for Kong members to user a service that could compromise their internet privacy, ect. Why the push to use a service of google’s over other free services offered throughout the internet with less tracking?

All I am asking…

Flag Post

is there an eta for resolution? you really can’t expect people to go messin around with their system’s configuration just to play a freakin game.

Flag Post

The fix is great for the 2% supergeeks, and dangerous for the 10% who would dare to experiment— but i feel sorry for the 88% who probably have no clue what a dns or any of the other technical “FIXES” proposed.

If you spent money on these mmo games i smell a class action here.

Only silver lining is that it didn’t happen around Thanksgiving.

Please advise on eta.

Flag Post
Originally posted by xrisxros:

is there an eta for resolution? you really can’t expect people to go messin around with their system’s configuration just to play a freakin game.

That won’t fix the problems with individual games, it will just fix it for people that can’t reach Kongregate.com at all. We’ve done all that we can to fix the issues on our side, caching just means it’ll take awhile for the fix to propagate everywhere.

Flag Post

It’s kind of out of Kongregate’s hands now. Basically, all that they can do is try to contact the game developers so they can make the necessary corrections on their servers so the games start working again.

Flag Post

Please advise on eta.

We have no ETA for the individual games. We are working to contact the developers to attempt to speed up the process.

Flag Post

If you want an idea of the problem, this illustration and explanation might help you get an idea.