Only you can prevent poorly placed ads...

9 posts

Flag Post

So I have an odd problem, Smokey the Bear seems to have taken notice of me burning zombies and flaming people in chat. The problematic bear is ALWAYS placing an ad on my game pages, I guess it’s some sort of constant reminder. I have taken Smokey’s daily reminders to heart, but it’s become a real problem. I can no longer read the descriptions of ratings of most games as you can see in my screenshot below.

http://i.imgur.com/k1PQa.png

Smokey hasn’t appeared on any other websites except for the Kongregate game pages themselves, I’ve tried clearing my browser and even reinstalling it. I’ve yet to try a different browser, but I only have Chrome installed and it’d be a hassle to switch browsers just to play games on this website alone. I’m hoping someone else out there is a pyro and is being pursued by this harassing bear, maybe we can hunt him down or find a technical solution to this ursine issue.

Flag Post

A.

Originally posted by AbleArcher:

…flaming people in chat…

That’s bad. Don’t do that. You deserve malicious ads, etcetc.

B. AdBlock+. It wipes out almost all ads (All on Kong); and the only downside is a few people whining and giving you a guilt trip about how you’re stealing a percentage of a cent from developers.

C. You can report malicious ads to Kongregate and they’ll work on removing them.

Flag Post

Not sure if kong is one of the many sites that tells you not to use an adblocker but even if it is you can get around it by blocking trackers and not advertising (it kills nearly every advert anyway) which also means less people know what sites you visit and stuff (yay privacy n stuff) while technically sticking to the rule so many sites have of don’t use ad blocking software her.

If you need names of addons to block trackers stuff like scriptno or ghostery work fine, ghostery being the simplist one I ever heard of.
Only block adverts on sites if they seriously impede the ability to do stuff on the sites though since you obviously like a site to use it and adverts help pay the site owners bills n stuff.

Flag Post

Kong doesn’t prohibit ad-blockers (though I would like it if they would); it’s just strongly recommended that you do not use them, because as you mentioned, they take away revenue that Kongregate and game developers are counting on in order to earn a living.

Flag Post

Yeah, that is why I said only use them if you have to.
If you do lower the money they make from advertising you’ll either be making them more likely to add to the number of games with pay to win sorta crap which seriously has ruined a fair few otherwise decent games or just making them less motivated to keep the site running.
That said sometimes things force you to use ad blockers atleast temporarily at which point if they are dodgy sorts of malicious ads you’d probably be better off using something like ghostery which stops the malicious advertisers tracking you.

Flag Post

a stupid play free games online add pops up in the top top of kongregate and takes half of my my game and chat away http://www.justbounce.me/wp-content/themes/just-bounce/images/play-free-games-online.jpg PLEASE help.

Flag Post

I have the same ad…idk wut to go either

Flag Post

I am bit confused how ads are tied into developers revenue. Do they get revenue when we click on the add or do they get revenue when someone plays their game?

Flag Post

i have the same ad as well rycart its really pissing me off and when i first go to kong the website takes me to the game of thrones game which im not interested in.