WASD or Arrow Keys "stick" on moving games only on Kongregate - Problem solved, check the sticky! page 12

329 posts

Flag Post

i also have this problem with all versions of windows after xp(vista, 7 hp, 7 ult…) and then now i cant move in any moving game like stick wars or rpg games if i try to move it doesnt work.

Flag Post

I’m having problems with this and i’ve tried with the laptop keyboard and an external usb keyboard and they don’t work for either of them and i’ve also used google chrome, ie8, and firefox this needs to get fixed because i can’t do alot of the badge of the day games for powerup points because of this

Flag Post
Originally posted by captain5tup1d0:

You know what? I think this is a vista problem. I have an XP computer and that had no problems. What’s wrong with vista then?

i have this problem and i have windows 7

Flag Post

RawDawG07 – you sir are a hero.

Original post by RawDawG07:

1) install Adobe’s Flash plug-in if you haven’t already.
2) Go into Chrome Options
3) Select Content Settings
4) Click Disable Individual Plug-ins
5) Hit the +Details on the upper right
6) There should be two Flash plug-ins, one located in the Chrome directory, the other in a Macromedia directory. Click the link to disable the Flash plug-in in the Chrome directory.
7) Exit out of the Options tabs and try your AS2 game again.

this works for me.

Flag Post

RawDawG07’s fix works for me too!

Flag Post

use mozilla firefox 5or higher,there are allot faster
believ me

Flag Post

this is not a vista problem as i’m also having this problem and i am on windows 7

Flag Post

it does it on 7 to

Flag Post

man i will agree with firefox chrome…it tottaly bust’s a fuze

Flag Post

OMG this is happening on my laptop! I dont know how to get the stuff out I dont wanna break my laptops keypad either T^T!

Flag Post

i read in the kongregate FAQs and it said it may have something to do with troubleshooting problems

Flag Post

I have this problem too. But weird! This is only on some games.. Stick arena ballistick has sticky keys for me but in Cactus McCoy there is no problem with keys!

Flag Post

I have a similar problem. When I dont use a key(mainly arrow keys and sometimes WASD) for a while in a game, I cant use it for that game for about a day on that server.

Flag Post

This thread has been active for 2 years and the people at kongregate havent fixed it? This annoys me. Playing an already impossible game with this issue.

Flag Post
Originally posted by MassterTroll:

This thread has been active for 2 years and the people at kongregate havent fixed it? This annoys me. Playing an already impossible game with this issue.

It’s not kongregate if you actually bothered to read some posts you would notice >.>

Flag Post

i noticed that this isssue only relates to the site. maybe the way the games upload to kongregate may ba an issue, and couple missing codes in the programming

Flag Post

Found this on yahoo answers: Go tools —> Internet Options —> Security —> Trusted Sites —> Sites —> Add. Make sure you take the checkmark off the box at the bottom.

Flag Post

All I know is this only happens on Kongregate. That ande the stalling of the certain games when my cursor leaves the game field. NEwgrounds, armor, and other sites I have never had this happen. I am going o try the repeat rate thing, we shall see, but that still will not solve the leave the field hicup.

Flag Post

I’ve been having this problem on my windows 7 laptop for almost 2 years, it seems to happen on any game on any site that requires the arrow keys and sometimes when I am scrolling with the arrow keys they stick. I know that it isn’t the sticky keys feature and that it isn’t because there’s stuff under the arrow keys because I have had the problem ever since I first got my laptop, I asked at a PC store and they said that it was just ‘one of those things’.

Flag Post

Im on google chrome and i saved my data one time came back later and played on it but then when i saved it again and got off and played the next day my save data was gone and i didnt delete any of my history cookies or anything like that …PLEASE HELP!!

Flag Post

I stumbled on the same problem with sticky keys, but as IE (I have Firefox 8.0.1 at time of posting) or Windows (I use MacOSX 10.7) solutions are not so helpful for me… there was at least one post who may actually have solved the core problem in the middle of the thread.

Originally posted by chriskallen1:

I think I’ve drilled to the core of the problem. I’ve encountered the same problem for a long time, and the fact that it persists across browsers, across platforms, etc. makes me think it’s related to how Flash fundamentally processes keyboard input.

Speaking as a Flash developer, I’ve found keyboard latency issues pop up under very specific circumstances. Most of the time, Flash programmers have event listeners trap keyboard “KEYDOWN” events. I was not sure at first whether these events log only once (for the initial keypress) or log a whole bunch of times (based on the typematic rate and delay).

Turns out, it’s the latter. When you hold a key, you’ll get literally hundreds of repeated events stuffed through the queue, just waiting to be dispatched to the listeners. But why is this a problem only some times and not others?

Well, during the development of my first game (Atheist Armageddon), I found that this issue was negligible to nonexistent…until I started adding more objects and more listeners. Once that happened, there was more stuff to display on the screen and more input to check for. And that’s when the issue, previously not present, suddenly became quite serious. I should note this issue appeared in Adobe’s own player—NOT in a browser.

The culprit, it seems, is how Flash reads and dispatches messages to event listeners. Real-time code expects keyboard events to be dispatched and handled almost immediately, but Flash takes a different approach, spanning the dispatch of a large number of keyboard events over multiple frames. The events will EVENTUALLY get dispatched, and in the correct order…but several frames too late, pissing all of us off!

The “spanning input queue across multiple frames” issue will tend to crop up when there’s more stuff in the background that needs to be processed, drawn, etc. This explains why tweaking some performance settings can alleviate the problem sometimes, but not always.

How to fix this? Well, Flash programmers should be aware of this from now on. But seeing as I can’t force every Flash developer in the world to recompile and republish their projects, here’s a radical but effective solution. Go into your Control Panel, open up the Keyboard settings, and reduce the Repeat Rate to a much lower amount. This means fewer KEYDOWNs forced through the event listeners, and less of a chance the events will span multiple frames. Worked for me!

Just don’t forget to knock the Repeat Rate back up when you want to type something like “-—————-”. :-)

At least it works now with changed settings.

And in my opinion (as programmer without flash experience this sounds like a way to really solve the problem without fixing every single game that has this problem.
And it makes a lot of sense as flash games are applications that make heavy use of the flash-player and with that they make such problems much more likely, and reducing some loads make it less likely.
And security costs something but it seams the so called “fix” with switching down security measurements is seen as the better way (and running as Administrator sounds worse to me, as it seams to switch of security and makes it easier for intruders to hack the system as they don’t need to elevate their rights).

Or in short this solution should solve the problem whatever OS/Browser is used..

Flag Post

windows 7 and chrome i have this problem laptop

Flag Post

agar: Thank you for your time spent on this problem but unfortunately it didn’t work for me. :-(

Flag Post

it works thank you bbiernat

Flag Post

I’ve always used Chrome and one day my keys started sticking in flash games on websites that involve any movement, then I go to firefox and they work fine but firefox is so damn slow now and I like to do everything on one browser. Call me lazy I don’t care but I want to know how to fix this problem for Chrome. I know it is not my computer because it’s fast as hell and it’s made by Samsung (woop woop). So can anyone please help me…. I’ve tried everything.