Rant about high score hacks and comment system

11 posts

Flag Post

First of all, I’m sure there have been plenty of threads complaining about what I’m about to complain about, but the lack of an integrated search system on the forums makes it ridiculously hard to go find them. Yes I know I can use Google to search the forums, but the fact that it is part of the website is ridiculous.

On to the rant. High score hacks are absolutely ridiculous. Literally every popular game I’ve ever played on this site has some stupidly high number about 10 or more times bigger than the second place score. It is infuriating when you actually work hard to obtain a high score that can only be 4th or 5th on the leaderboard at best.

Also, the comment system on games is horrible. More often than not, one of the “top rated” comments is “this game so gud. thumbs up so dev makes sequel. lol.” But people are going to karma whore anyways and that’s unchangeable. What’s more fundamentally broken is the lack of any way to reply to comments and actually HAVE THE USER WHO IS GETTING REPLIED TO SEE THE COMMENT. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO ASK A QUESTION WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANSWERED IT? This is my number one complaint about this website. I’ve been on Kong for quite a long time (level 62 from just badges now) and I love the site, but someone really needs to fix these flaws before adding another badge to a horribad screen-too-big money sucking MMO.

Flag Post

but the lack of an integrated search system on the forums makes it ridiculously hard to go find them.

Originally posted by emily_greer:

We’re going to be adding a separate forum search, and I think we’re also planning to add developers to the main search. It’s pretty rare for people to search for regular users.

They’re currently working on implementing a forum search function, should be sometime soon.

As to the actual rant, there is very little Kong can do about hacked highscores besides manually removing every single one. Frankly, it’s just not that huge of a priority for them to fix that. There are some games that have set in max highscores, and once a score is beyond that, it is automatically removed, but not all games have this implemented for some reason.

Also, the comment system on games is horrible. More often than not, one of the “top rated” comments is “this game so gud. thumbs up so dev makes sequel. lol.” But people are going to karma whore anyways and that’s unchangeable.

Nothing Kong can really do about this, this is a strictly community based thing.

What’s more fundamentally broken is the lack of any way to reply to comments and actually HAVE THE USER WHO IS GETTING REPLIED TO SEE THE COMMENT. WHAT GOOD DOES IT DO TO ASK A QUESTION WHEN YOU DON’T EVEN KNOW IF ANYONE HAS ANSWERED IT?

Regarding this, you posted this in the wrong place, try posting it in the Suggestions Thread, where the admins will definitely read your suggestion, and who knows, it may be implemented.

Flag Post

in regards to the comments. I agree. They can be a lot more interactive. But every time i post a comment on a game asking for a tip or advice on how to get a badge or a medal a few people instantly rate it down. ??? wth? Then people cant even see it without hitting show. whats the point of rating comments down? it would be better to have a report. then it can be check on by mods. i’d never get my question answered…

Flag Post
Originally posted by HavenL:

in regards to the comments. I agree. They can be a lot more interactive. But every time i post a comment on a game asking for a tip or advice on how to get a badge or a medal a few people instantly rate it down. ??? wth? Then people cant even see it without hitting show. whats the point of rating comments down? it would be better to have a report. then it can be check on by mods. i’d never get my question answered…

To clear up a misconception first: only administrators have access and deal with reports. Chat moderators are solely responsible for chat and forum moderators are solely responsible for the forums. Shouts, About Mes and game comments are 100% out of our jurisdiction. If we see something that’s wrong, we have to report it just like everyone else.

With that being said, MyNameIsNothing already addressed your concern. He quoted the OP and explained that it’s a community issue. Talk to other users on the site, administrators can’t (realistically) do anything about it.

Flag Post
Originally posted by friedrice8791:

High score hacks are absolutely ridiculous. Literally every popular game I’ve ever played on this site has some stupidly high number about 10 or more times bigger than the second place score. It is infuriating when you actually work hard to obtain a high score that can only be 4th or 5th on the leaderboard at best..

On the other side of this, i managed to reach the all-time high score on flood runner 3 without hacking. i only got around 4% above the other high-score, which has been there for years, yet my score was deleted in around a day. because of how hard it is to see if a score is legitimate or not, if Kongregate was to change it’s systems to delete any scores that were higher than average, nobody would be able to do anything exceptional on a game legitimately, because their score would just be deleted. it isn’t perfect, but it seems they have the best balance they can come up with.

Flag Post

just to cleaer something up, the comment section isn’t supposed to be a place for your questions, so of course there isn’t going to be a reason for them to reply to the comment.
and if you really want to answer the question, then you can use a private message.

Flag Post

Kongregate held a meeting one day to discuss the highscore system. They were going to ban everyone who had a ridiculously highscore, then they decided glitches can be mistaken as hacks.
If every game had an anti-hack system like Berserk studio has, the highscores would be protected.

I really think there should be a reply button, not for questions/answers.
Sometimes people face bugs in games and post in the comments “This game doesn’t work, I would give this a 0/5 if I could” instead of the developer replying the community could reply and say “Don’t buy the last gun with the laser suit. It causes a bug.”

Flag Post
Originally posted by monsterjamp:

Kongregate held a meeting one day to discuss the highscore system. They were going to ban everyone who had a ridiculously highscore, then they decided glitches can be mistaken as hacks.
If every game had an anti-hack system like Berserk studio has, the highscores would be protected.

Sometimes people face bugs in games and post in the comments “This game doesn’t work, I would give this a 0/5 if I could” instead of the developer replying the community could reply and say “Don’t buy the last gun with the laser suit. It causes a bug.”

I agree with what you said about replying comments. Adds more variety.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

And makes Kongregate more social.
I think making Kongregate more social is what the web designers has been trying for a while.

Flag Post
Originally posted by AllStarDominatio:

And makes Kongregate more social.
I think making Kongregate more social is what the web designers has been trying for a while.

Yes, true.

Flag Post

since its not locekd, im bumping it, my comment cant even be seen because of all the spammers, thats my prob.